FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              9       10       end

Archive 2021 · Pre-order: Nikon Z9 and New Lenses

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Pre-order: Nikon Z9 and New Lenses

Pre-order: Nikon Z9 and New Lenses
Just Announced – Nikon Z9 and New Lenses.

Pre-order today!

Page showing ALL new Nikon products for pre-order:

B&H Photo | Adorama

Thanks for supporting FM!

List of Nikon products for Pre-order:
  1. Nikon Z 9 Mirrorless Digital Camera ($5,496)

2. Nikon NIKKOR Z 400mm f/2.8 TC VR S Lens

3. Nikon NIKKOR Z 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 VR S Lens ($2,696)

4. Nikon NIKKOR Z 24-120mm f/4 S Lens ($1,096)

5. Nikon FTZ II Mount Adapter ($249)

Nikon Z 9 Mirrorless Digital Camera

Nikon NIKKOR Z 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 VR S Lens

Nikon NIKKOR Z 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 VR S Lens

Nikon NIKKOR Z 24-120mm f/4 S Lens

Nikon NIKKOR Z 24-120mm f/4 S Lens

Oct 28, 2021 at 09:38 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Pre-order: Nikon Z9 and New Lenses

From Nokishita today:

"Z9 Body", "Z9 FTZ II Kit", "FTZ II" and two lenses (100-400mm and F4 standard zoom lens) have been added to overseas dealers"

https://twitter.com/nokishita_c/status/1452751352442986497

Oct 25, 2021 at 08:49 PM
osv2
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Pre-order: Nikon Z9 and New Lenses

this is gonna be a sweet xmas for nikon owners!

Oct 25, 2021 at 08:59 PM
suteetat
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Pre-order: Nikon Z9 and New Lenses

osv2 wrote:
this is gonna be a sweet xmas for nikon owners!

Expensive Chrismas for Nikon owners

Oct 25, 2021 at 09:44 PM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Pre-order: Nikon Z9 and New Lenses

After this Nikon will only be a couple of long lenses away from a fully capable native lens lineup for the Z system. That will be a great accomplishment.

Oct 25, 2021 at 11:12 PM
bernardl
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Pre-order: Nikon Z9 and New Lenses

Indeed.

But the release of an FTZII is telling us that the real target is to convince existing D5/D6 users that they will get as good or better focusing experience with the Z9 than they got with their existing camera using their existing lenses.

To me this is the question Nikon started the Z9 design with 3 years ago: "what is camera we need to release to convince our existing Dx users to upgrade?".

I am not sure what question the R3 is designed to answer. It feels like "what can we release late 2021 using our technologies to compete with the a1 and Z9?".

Oct 26, 2021 at 12:50 AM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Pre-order: Nikon Z9 and New Lenses

bernardl wrote:
Indeed.

But the release of an FTZII is telling us that the real target is to convince existing D5/D6 users that they will get as good or better focusing experience with the Z9 than they got with their existing camera using their existing lenses.

To me this is the question Nikon started the Z9 design with 3 years ago: "what is camera we need to release to convince our existing Dx users to upgrade?".

I am not sure what question the R3 is designed to answer. It feels like "what can we release late 2021 using our technologies to compete with the a1
...Show more

Just to be clear.

What you are suggesting is that Nikon is engineering to compete with itself, while Canon is engineering to compete with the current mirrorless market leader?

Even though that could be used to explain the current market share distribution, I'm not sure I buy it.

Oct 26, 2021 at 04:01 AM
suteetat
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Pre-order: Nikon Z9 and New Lenses

The good news at least locally here is that reception for Z9 is very good. While there is no official preorder channel just yet as price has not been released although I was told to expect around $6000.
My local dealer already informed me that they have a number of their regular customers wanting to reserve Z9 already. Response is much higher than when D5/D6 was announced.
Look like I might need to camp out at the shop with a big stick to fend off grubby hands while waiting for Nikon truck to arrive on release date

We don't officially know beside form factor if the new FTZ adapter is otherwise different from the original FTZ. I would imagine pro with supertele lenses would have the least problem with FTZ adapter since they would be mounting the setup via footer on the supertele lenses anyhow, no?

Personally the FTZ footer only bother me when I use it with lenses like Otus or Sigma 135/1.8 where I want to mount the setup on a tripod using FTZ adapter footer rather than the camera then it is a bit tricky as my camera has arca swiss L plate attached to it and adding arca swiss plate to FTZ adapter does not really work in this scenario.

Edited on Oct 26, 2021 at 05:44 AM · View previous versions

Oct 26, 2021 at 04:21 AM
ilkka_nissila
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Pre-order: Nikon Z9 and New Lenses

Since Nikon has so far only a small number of Z lenses that cover only a subset of applications of photography, support of F-mount lenses is essential. It's also important to avoid the existing lenses being left unused before their normal lifetime is past, due to environmental reasons as well as due to financial reasons (for the users) and since their business depends on continued sales of those F-mount lenses which do not yet exist for Z mount, Nikon also need the broadest compatibility across the two systems. Nikon made a name for themselves by preserving lens compatibility in the past so its users are likely particularly sensitive of this issue (the ones who accepted an almost complete loss of lens investment value in the transition from MF to AF may have been more likely to choose Canon or Minolta while those who valued the compatibility with past lenses may have congregated to Nikon and Pentax). Reduced lens functionality across the mount transition is likely the main reason for Nikon's so far limited success with the Z system. They not only need to bridge the AF technology gap but also improve lens compatibility to have a chance at success. It's not about competing with themselves but preserving reputation as a legitimate manufacturer who takes cares of their customers also after purchase (service and lens compatibility with new cameras are parts of it).

Oct 26, 2021 at 04:21 AM
philwaring
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Pre-order: Nikon Z9 and New Lenses

suteetat wrote:
The good news at least locally here is that reception for Z9 is very good. While there is no official preorder channel just yet as price has not been released although I was told to expect around $6000.
My local dealer already informed me that they have a number of their regular customers wanting to reserve Z9 already. Response is much higher than when D5/D6 was announced.
Look like I might need to camp out at the shop waiting for Nikon truck to arrive on release date

We don't officially know beside form factor if the new FTZ
...Show more

I enquired with a popular Nikon-only dealer in London last week and they had a waiting list around 80 for the Z9. They were going to be my backup option but then my preferred dealer replied and I was #1. Not the hardest choice I've ever made.

I wonder if Nikon will ship more of the Z9 only or more of the Z9 + FTZII pack. I'm inclined to tell my dealer that I'd prefer the pack but if they only get separates in the first shipment then I'll just take that instead. I was prepared for pricing around $7k so if it's actually $6k then I'll be able to buy a few memory cards without it feeling too painful.

Oct 26, 2021 at 04:29 AM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Pre-order: Nikon Z9 and New Lenses

I remember that during the original launch of th Z6/Z7 see lots of Nikon marketing material saying thing like:

"The best reason to buy a Nikon Z6/Z7 is already in your camera bag."

Oct 26, 2021 at 04:40 AM
AcuteShadows
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Pre-order: Nikon Z9 and New Lenses

suteetat wrote:
Look like I might need to camp out at the shop waiting for Nikon truck to arrive on release date

We don't officially know beside form factor if the new FTZ
...Show more

Get some smaller plates. Maybe the small plate on the FTZ even works with your existing L plate or some other suitable L plate.

© AcuteShadows 2021

Oct 26, 2021 at 05:18 AM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Pre-order: Nikon Z9 and New Lenses

You gotta admit that still has a kludge look to it. I guess it is OK during this transition period. But native is clearly the long term solution.

Oct 26, 2021 at 05:39 AM
suteetat
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Pre-order: Nikon Z9 and New Lenses

AcuteShadows wrote:
Get some smaller plates. Maybe the small plate on the FTZ even works with your existing L plate or some other suitable L plate.

Yes, I have small plate that fit on FTZ. My L plate hangs a bit lower than what you showed so it does not work well.
In the end I just forget about using arca swiss plate on the adapter and just use the L Plate on the body.
So far FTZ is working ok with the heavier lenses but if given a choice, I definitely prefer to use the adapter footer for such lenses.

Oct 26, 2021 at 05:42 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Pre-order: Nikon Z9 and New Lenses

1bwana1 wrote:
Just to be clear.

What you are suggesting is that Nikon is engineering to compete with itself, while Canon is engineering to compete with the current mirrorless market leader?

Even though that could be used to explain the current market share distribution, I'm not sure I buy it.

Nikon as a company needs market share in the mirrorless world and likely the easiest place for them to get mirrorless market share is converting their own DSLR customers. Targeting those customers for their mirrorless offerings isn't exactly competing with itself and as long as that isn't their sole strategy, IMO, it is a sound strategy for Nikon to undertake. For the Z9 in particular I don't see targeting D5 and D6 owners as a bad strategy at all. If they convert 80 or 90 percent of those shooter to a Z9 or Z9 II in the long run they will have done quite well with this camera.

Oct 26, 2021 at 07:14 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Pre-order: Nikon Z9 and New Lenses

1bwana1 wrote:
After this Nikon will only be a couple of long lenses away from a fully capable native lens lineup for the Z system. That will be a great accomplishment.

I think Nikon has done very well in developing Z lenses. If the f/4 lens is th 24-105 that is on the roadmap as it seems to be they will have a number of good options:

For zooms they will have

An excellent f/2.8 trio:

14-24; 24-70; and 70-200

A new very good slower long coverage trio:

14-30; 24-105; 100-400

Still to come however is the four lens slower ultra coverage set:

14-30; 24-70; 70-200; 200-600

They need to bring that out soon.

For Primes they have the excellent set of f/1.8 lenses:

20, 24, 35, 50, & 85

But still to come they need more fast lenses with only the 50 f/1.2, they need to get a 35 and 85 fast lens out soon and they need something longer than 85 as well.

I am sure we will hear about a 400 f/2.8 this week, but they need more than a few long lenses and I think they need some cheaper slower long lenses as well.

So Nikon has a good start in Z mount lenses, but IMO they still have a long way to go and that is why adapting F-mount lenses is still crucial in my view for Nikon. I hope the FTZ II works well and we see no bottlenecks with that adapter.

Oct 26, 2021 at 07:27 AM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Pre-order: Nikon Z9 and New Lenses

Steve Spencer wrote:
Nikon as a company needs market share in the mirrorless world and likely the easiest place for them to get mirrorless market share is converting their own DSLR customers. Targeting those customers for their mirrorless offerings isn't exactly competing with itself and as long as that isn't their sole strategy, IMO, it is a sound strategy for Nikon to undertake. For the Z9 in particular I don't see targeting D5 and D6 owners as a bad strategy at all. If they convert 80 or 90 percent of those shooter to a Z9 or Z9 II in the long run
...Show more

I agree 100% with what you say in this regard. Nikon's huge existing user base base is like a giant storage medium of stored up buying energy. It is an advantage that Sony doesn't have and it should be executed on.

My point is that I do also see the Z9 of being capable of competing head to head with the other flagship offerings on the market. Nikon clearly designed it to do that.

Oct 26, 2021 at 07:29 AM
gannis
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Pre-order: Nikon Z9 and New Lenses

Well said, The only point i'd like to add is that the Z9 is not going to attract just the D5/D6 type buyers but also the D850 crowd like me for instance (the so called enthusiasts). I'd have not even thought about a Z9 had it been a low MP camera like the Canon R3. The fact that Nikon combined the D6 and D850 in one body is too tempting to let go of. A lot of D850/D500 users that i talk to are already very much interested in buying the Z9 despite it being on a different class in terms of pricing. I keep hearing they're also pricing it competitively and all of this will only help them bring in more F mount users into the Z system. At this rate I feel Nikon will have a launch announcement and their usual "orders exceeded our forecast" announcement the same day LoL.

Steve Spencer wrote:
Nikon as a company needs market share in the mirrorless world and likely the easiest place for them to get mirrorless market share is converting their own DSLR customers. Targeting those customers for their mirrorless offerings isn't exactly competing with itself and as long as that isn't their sole strategy, IMO, it is a sound strategy for Nikon to undertake. For the Z9 in particular I don't see targeting D5 and D6 owners as a bad strategy at all. If they convert 80 or 90 percent of those shooter to a Z9 or Z9 II in the long run
...Show more

Oct 26, 2021 at 08:31 AM
BruceMartin

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Pre-order: Nikon Z9 and New Lenses

suteetat wrote:
Personally the FTZ footer only bother me when I use it with lenses like Otus or Sigma 135/1.8 where I want to mount the setup on a tripod using FTZ adapter footer rather than the camera then it is a bit tricky as my camera has arca swiss L plate attached to it and adding arca swiss plate to FTZ adapter does not really work in this scenario.

What I do is have a smallish plate on the FTZ and point it forward i.e at 90 degree's to the L-Bracket. I also push the plate as far forward as I can. This works with ball-heads but it is not so good for nodal rails, not sure about other heads.

This has the advantage of

* I can leave the L-Bracket on the camera
* I can leave the plate permanently attached to the FTZ-Adapter
* I can mount/remove the FTZ with the plate / L-Brackets attached
* The L-Bracket no longer interferes with the

Oct 26, 2021 at 08:41 AM
mach250
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Pre-order: Nikon Z9 and New Lenses

Does anyone know the benefit of FTZ2 vs 1?

Oct 26, 2021 at 08:55 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.