New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Pre-order: Rokinon 24-70mm f/2.8 AF Zoom Lens for Sony E

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Pre-order: Rokinon 24-70mm f/2.8 AF Zoom Lens for Sony E

Pre-order: Rokinon 24-70mm f/2.8 AF Zoom Lens for Sony E
The new Samyang/Rokinon 24-70mm f/2.8 AF Zoom Lens for Sony E is not available for pre-order:

Pre-order at B&H Photo at $999

Key Features:
  1. Focal Length 24 to 70mm
  2. Maximum Aperture f/2.8
  3. Minimum Aperture f/22
  4. Lens Mount Sony E
  5. Format Compatibility Full-Frame
  6. Angle of View 53° to 86°
  7. Minimum Focus Distance 1.1' / 35 cm
  8. Maximum Magnification 0.1 to 0.27x
  9. Optical Design 17 Elements in 14 Groups
  10. Diaphragm Blades 9
  11. Focus Type Autofocus
  12. Image Stabilization No
  13. Filter Size 82 mm (Front)
  14. Dimensions (ø x L) 3.5 x 5.1" / 88 x 128.5 mm
  15. Weight 2.4 lb / 1096 g

Rokinon AF 24-70mm f/2.8 Overview:

The Rokinon 24-70mm f/2.8 AF Zoom Lens for Sony E punches far above its weight, combining premium design, solid build quality, fast and accurate autofocus, and a bright f/2.8 aperture in a sleek weather sealed body, making it a capable zoom worthy of a place in any photographer's bag.
Rokinon's first AF zoom lens features a parfocal design, enabling it to maintain its focus point as it zooms in or out. This premium feature, often only seen in high grade cinema lenses, not only allows you to compose a shot far more quickly, but also to always have your subject in focus as the framing changes, opening a whole world of storytelling possibilities on video.
The impressive optical design incorporates three HR elements, two aspherical elements, one HB element, and three extra-low dispersion elements. Additionally, a UMC Coating has been applied to individual elements to significantly minimize lens flare and ghosting for increased contrast and color neutrality. The lens' LSM (Linear Sonic Motor) autofocus provides quick and precise focusing performance, and manual focus override is also available for more refined control.

Oct 19, 2021 at 10:41 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Pre-order: Rokinon 24-70mm f/2.8 AF Zoom Lens for Sony E

Anyone pre-ordering it?

Oct 20, 2021 at 12:47 AM
JVan_02
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Pre-order: Rokinon 24-70mm f/2.8 AF Zoom Lens for Sony E

Fred Miranda wrote:
Anyone pre-ordering it?

I mean... the 28-75 2.8 G2 just came out, which is a (I'm assuming, anyway) straight upgrade on what IIRC was the greatest selling lens of all time. Direct competition to the Samyang lens.

The 28-70 2.8 C is also direct competition to this Samyang, and while it isn't perhaps as good in some areas (build & let's even be generous and assume the Samyang has slightly better IQ) it fulfills the "casual zoom" much better in many ways by being absolutely petite.

The 24-70 2.8 ART is also direct competition, and is a highly praised lens in most (all?) areas with tons of sample galleries online for people to see the proof in the pudding. Looks to have slightly better build than this Samyang, and is at the very least a more attractive design.

Finally, rumors and people doing the mental math gotta know that the 24-70 2.8 GM II is right around the corner—and I'm sure the more well heeled photographers are wondering if Sony is gonna work the same shrinking magic they managed with the 70-200 GM II and make this not only in the direct running for most performant standard zoom, but also unequivocally the smallest/lightest 24-70 currently in production.

Worst time to introduce this kind of product imo. Probably why it's only for sale in Thailand right now.

Oct 20, 2021 at 02:35 AM
Alan Parker
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Pre-order: Rokinon 24-70mm f/2.8 AF Zoom Lens for Sony E

Fred Miranda wrote:
Anyone pre-ordering it?

I think it's just a hard sell at the moment. Yes it seems great for video, especially with the Cine Kit being available. For straight up stills shooters (most of us here I believe), it's just hard to see why this would offer more value than the Tamron 28-75G2, a Sigma 24-70 or similar products. I wouldn't say it's dead on arrival; but with the lack of English content about it it makes it really hard to get excited about.
It's also quite tricky maybe for people that already have a standard zoom to move to Samyang. This is their first standard zoom and that might not inspire confidence from more experienced photographers; especially with a 24-70GMII around the corner for the 'real' professionals.

Oct 20, 2021 at 02:46 AM
raminolta
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Pre-order: Rokinon 24-70mm f/2.8 AF Zoom Lens for Sony E

Image quality is unknown at the moment though, I doubt it would be any better than the already available lenses. Price-wise, it is close to the Sigma Art 24-70mm. However, it doesn't have any size/weight advantage. Indeed, it is heavier than the Sigma. How about AF performance? Unknown again.
I have the Sigma Art presently which replaced my GM 24-70mm a while ago. It's not my default lens. I only use it for occasional events/ paid jobs involving people. Otherwise, I would rather use the combo pf 16-35mmGM and Planar 50mm.
I imagine for video makers this lens does offer a certain benefit. For me personally, I would stay with Sigma until somebody comes up with a 24-70mm f2.8 lens that is at least %25 lighter yet sacrifice very little on IQ.

Oct 20, 2021 at 08:02 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

trogdon
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Pre-order: Rokinon 24-70mm f/2.8 AF Zoom Lens for Sony E

The parforcal design really has me thinking this lens will be high quality. I wouldn’t write it off just yet.

Oct 21, 2021 at 12:07 AM
junglialoh
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Pre-order: Rokinon 24-70mm f/2.8 AF Zoom Lens for Sony E

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1722707/0

MTF curve shows impressive sharpness and minimal aberration, and good contrast.
I feel it is slightly bit ahead of Tamron 24-70mm F2.8 or Tokina 24-70mm F2.8 in MTF score.
In the comparison with Tamron 27-75mm or Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 in below video,

Samyang shows better performance in sharpness and bokeh, and aberration.
Its great strength is nothing but its color character (cinematic view)
Since I have Sony 24-105mm F4 G that is great lens for me, I am not sure if I need further, but
its MTF curve is better than Sony 24-105mm F4G at wide as well as Tele range.

Nov 05, 2021 at 06:00 PM
Petegh
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Pre-order: Rokinon 24-70mm f/2.8 AF Zoom Lens for Sony E

Here's Marc's review: https://sonyalpha.blog/2021/12/13/samyang-24-70mm-f2-8/

Dec 14, 2021 at 08:07 AM
Immortal
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Pre-order: Rokinon 24-70mm f/2.8 AF Zoom Lens for Sony E

I've read it yesterday, i'm not exactly sure what is the appeal of this lens and i'm a vivid supporter of Samyang.

It's OK but nothing to write home about and it isn't any cheaper than the better options out there.

Dec 14, 2021 at 08:14 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password