p.18 #1 · p.18 #1 · Pre-order: Voigtlander APO-SKOPAR 90mm f/2.8 VM and F-mount

Leica Elmarit at 5.6

Dec 12, 2021 at 09:38 AM
pmeheut
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.18 #2 · p.18 #2 · Pre-order: Voigtlander APO-SKOPAR 90mm f/2.8 VM and F-mount

Quick conclusion:
The Leica is quite good in the center at this distance already at 2.8 and gets better at 5.6, very close to the Voigt.
The corners are weak.

The Voigt is the same: excellent at 2.8 and 5.6 even in the corners.

Dec 12, 2021 at 09:40 AM
pmeheut
• • •
p.18 #3 · p.18 #3 · Pre-order: Voigtlander APO-SKOPAR 90mm f/2.8 VM and F-mount

And finally, a comparison at close distance, slightly above 1 meter.
f/5.6 for both pictures. I shot at 2.8 too but could not avoid differences in the focus point making any comparaison irrelevant.

First the Voigt Skopar, 100% crop center.

Dec 12, 2021 at 09:49 AM
pmeheut
• • •
p.18 #4 · p.18 #4 · Pre-order: Voigtlander APO-SKOPAR 90mm f/2.8 VM and F-mount

And the Leica Elmarit:

Dec 12, 2021 at 09:50 AM
pmeheut
• • •
p.18 #5 · p.18 #5 · Pre-order: Voigtlander APO-SKOPAR 90mm f/2.8 VM and F-mount

Quick conclusion:

they are close but the Voigt is better: more contrast and we have a bit of flare in the Leica picture.
The Voigt's focal length is shorter, nothing new and it has more DOF because of it (my guess at least).

But they are both sharp and I like the bokeh. I shot other pictures, portraits of my family I do not want to post but both lenses render smooth backgrounds. At least smooth enough for me.

Dec 12, 2021 at 09:53 AM
AcuteShadows
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.18 #6 · p.18 #6 · Pre-order: Voigtlander APO-SKOPAR 90mm f/2.8 VM and F-mount

pmeheut wrote:
First, let's compare them wide open by shooting the building in front of mine, 12 meters away.
All pictures shot by a Leica M10 on a big tripod, 200 ISO, focusing with the EVF, DNG processed with default parameters in Capture One, white balance and exposure auto in C1, histogram aligned to the right to get brighter images and ease comparison.

I just forgot to deactivate lens detection so do not read too much into colors, etc.
But I shot to pictures to see the impact. Top is the new Voigt 2.8 Apo, bottom is the Leica Elmarit.
As you can see, the
...Show more

Are these actually different colors, or is it mostly color drift that would be (partially) eliminated by the Leica lens profile (for the Leica lens)?

Dec 12, 2021 at 10:48 AM
pmeheut
• • •
p.18 #7 · p.18 #7 · Pre-order: Voigtlander APO-SKOPAR 90mm f/2.8 VM and F-mount

AcuteShadows wrote:
Are these actually different colors, or is it mostly color drift that would be (partially) eliminated by the Leica lens profile (for the Leica lens)?

Mainly color drift here but not only. Voigt lenses do not have the same rendering.
It is obvious with the old Lanthar: it is much more red/magenta than a Leica lens. The difference is more subtle with modern lenses.

Dec 12, 2021 at 10:58 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

AcuteShadows
• • • •
p.18 #8 · p.18 #8 · Pre-order: Voigtlander APO-SKOPAR 90mm f/2.8 VM and F-mount

pmeheut wrote:
Mainly color drift here but not only. Voigt lenses do not have the same rendering.
It is obvious with the old Lanthar: it is much more red/magenta than a Leica lens. The difference is more subtle with modern lenses.

Thank you. That is consistent with what I'm seeing, on a Nikon Z7 and without the comparison to the Leica Elmarit.

Dec 12, 2021 at 01:10 PM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.18 #9 · p.18 #9 · Pre-order: Voigtlander APO-SKOPAR 90mm f/2.8 VM and F-mount

Steve Spencer wrote:
My quick take: It is an excellent lens with few flaws but perhaps not quite as sharp or quite as low in aberrations as the recent APO Lanthars but still excellent. I am very happy it is available and it will replace my two Leica 90's (f/2.4 Summarit, and f/4 Macro Elmar).

Steve, you wrote the above in a now-locked VM90 APO thread.

Now that Fred has started his VM90 APO rolling review, initial results at infinity show mid-frame weakness. I'm very curious if you still have your 90/4 Macro and whether you might test it against the VM90? My hopes were the VM would be a replacement candidate for the Macro, but now I'm not so sure, based on Fred's early results. I might end up sticking with the Macro and 90AA combo after all...

Dec 16, 2021 at 10:00 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.18 #10 · p.18 #10 · Pre-order: Voigtlander APO-SKOPAR 90mm f/2.8 VM and F-mount

Picked up my replacement F-mount today and everything works as it should. It's well-centered and mildly disappointing so far. I didn't realize how high the 85/1.8D set the bar for landscape performance at 5.6 or 8, but this lens has problems keeping up in the outer zone. That's on my bare sensor rII and stock FX3, anyway. I'll test it out on a Z5 and Z7II at work tomorrow, but my feeling now is I'd be better off exchanging it for the PC 85/2.8D they let me play with this past week.

It's not a bad lens, but Cosina's been on such a roll, I was hoping for more.

Dec 16, 2021 at 11:49 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.18 #11 · p.18 #11 · Pre-order: Voigtlander APO-SKOPAR 90mm f/2.8 VM and F-mount

rscheffler wrote:
Steve, you wrote the above in a now-locked VM90 APO thread.

Now that Fred has started his VM90 APO rolling review, initial results at infinity show mid-frame weakness. I'm very curious if you still have your 90/4 Macro and whether you might test it against the VM90? My hopes were the VM would be a replacement candidate for the Macro, but now I'm not so sure, based on Fred's early results. I might end up sticking with the Macro and 90AA combo after all...

Hi Ron,

I don't have the new Voigtlander 90 f/2.8 APO yet, and my comments in that other thread were just meant to be a summary of what other's had posted in the long thread because no one had responded. I am in much the same position that you are. I am hoping this lens can replace both my 90 f/4 Elmar macro and my 90 f/2.4 Summarit, but I am a bit troubled by the mid zone weakness. I was all set to buy the new lens and sell my two Leica lens if Fred's review was positive. I still might do that as I wonder whether all copies will have the mid zone weakness and if I get a copy like Fred's could I live with that performance. I think I can but I am in wait and see mode again and what I worry about is that Fred's might be a better than average copy. If I do get the lens I will certainly do a comparison with the 90 f/4 Elmar macro.

Dec 17, 2021 at 09:00 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.18 #12 · p.18 #12 · Pre-order: Voigtlander APO-SKOPAR 90mm f/2.8 VM and F-mount

The performance on the Z5 and Z7II with the F-mount version is an improvement over the performance on the mod and stock Sonys, but still can't keep up with the old 85/1.8D for landscapes, and is certainly outclassed by the 85/1.8s all the way around, which isn't much larger when you factor in the FTZ. It's not all bad, though. The higher central resolution (over the 85D) makes it a lot easier to focus between 2.8 and 5.6, particularly at mid-distances, it's better corrected for CA in that aperture range, and it looks and feels perfect on my F100. It's also nice to have a fully manual lens with EXIF.

Dec 17, 2021 at 11:25 PM
fjablo
• • •
p.18 #13 · p.18 #13 · Pre-order: Voigtlander APO-SKOPAR 90mm f/2.8 VM and F-mount

freaklikeme wrote:
The performance on the Z5 and Z7II with the F-mount version is an improvement over the performance on the mod and stock Sonys, but still can't keep up with the old 85/1.8D for landscapes, and is certainly outclassed by the 85/1.8s all the way around, which isn't much larger when you factor in the FTZ. It's not all bad, though. The higher central resolution (over the 85D) makes it a lot easier to focus between 2.8 and 5.6, particularly at mid-distances, it's better corrected for CA in that aperture range, and it looks and feels perfect on my F100. It's
...Show more

The CV is 71,5mm long with adapter and weighs 385g with the FTZ II vs. 99mm and 470g for the 85/1.8s. That's a significant difference imo..the 85/1.8D is (slightly) longer and heavier than both with the FTZ II

But btw how is the MF experience with the 85/1.8D? My only AF-D lens is a 28-70mm which is surprisingly okay-ish: not well dampened, but still better than most focus-by-wire lenses e.g. the 24-70/4.0s

Dec 18, 2021 at 02:15 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.18 #14 · p.18 #14 · Pre-order: Voigtlander APO-SKOPAR 90mm f/2.8 VM and F-mount

fjablo wrote:
The CV is 71,5mm long with adapter and weighs 385g with the FTZ II vs. 99mm and 470g for the 85/1.8s. That's a significant difference imo..the 85/1.8D is (slightly) longer and heavier than both with the FTZ II

But btw how is the MF experience with the 85/1.8D? My only AF-D lens is a 28-70mm which is surprisingly okay-ish: not well dampened, but still better than most focus-by-wire lenses e.g. the 24-70/4.0s

I guess the near perfection of the 85/1.8s blinded me to the differences in size and weight.

"Decent" is a good word choice to generally describe the MF action on the 85D (and the other D lenses I've used). None of the screw driven lenses have the tension of a good fully manual lens. If they did, it would slow down the cameras on which they can AF, but it's still better than the clutched operation on a lens with an AF motor. And you get hard stops at infinity and MFD.

Dec 18, 2021 at 06:54 PM
1       2       3              17      
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              17      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password