Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2021 · A collection of Owls

Teleguy1
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · A collection of Owls

In addition to active nests, hunting areas like open fields near the edges of mature forests is the other place I've been fortunate enough to see and photograph owls. Sometimes I know a nest is somewhere nearby in the old growth, sometimes I hear the Owls in the thicker trees but can't find them but they need to eat and they often hunt in the sparser trees or open meadows especially if there are Squirrels, Chipmunks or rodents around.

Here's a couple of images captured in hunting grounds. The first was close to a deep ravine where I suspect this Great Gray Owl was nesting but near sunrise and sunset she came out to hunt. I saw her perched up on a branch and got some portraits but when she started staring intently at the ground I spun up my shutter speed and managed to capture a couple of images as she dove down on an unsuspecting Chipmunk and flew off with it.

The second shot is a bit stranger, I was out visiting a wetland wildlife management area on a windy, rainy and cold day looking for marsh birds like Bitterns and Herons when I came across three Short Eared Owls hunting over the grassy marshes. After a while this one landed and I guess he was drying out his wings in the wind but stood there for about twenty minutes with his wings stretched out in various positions before taking off to hunt some more.

Great Gray Owl Hunting

Short Eared Owl Drying Out in the Wind

Edited on Oct 07, 2021 at 11:16 PM · View previous versions

Oct 07, 2021 at 11:04 PM
Teleguy1
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · A collection of Owls

louie champan wrote:
Super set of images, the one with the chick is over the top.

Thanks Louie, much appreciated!

Oct 07, 2021 at 11:06 PM
johnohio
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · A collection of Owls

Impressive set of images. I always enjoy hearing about how a shot came about. Thank you for sharing so much info.

John

Oct 07, 2021 at 11:26 PM
Teleguy1
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · A collection of Owls

johnohio wrote:
Impressive set of images. I always enjoy hearing about how a shot came about. Thank you for sharing so much info.

John

Thanks for the kind words John. Much appreciated!

Oct 08, 2021 at 05:04 PM
Teleguy1
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · A collection of Owls

Throwing one more Owl chick photo into the mix. Was observing a Great Gray Owl's nest when I was lucky enough to see this little guy fledge. Pretty much dropped out of the nest like a tumbling ball of feathers and then collected itself up and hopped onto this log. It hung out here for a while and then hopped on over to some leaning deadfall and worked its way up about ten feet where it was still hanging out the following day.

Great Gray Owl Chick, Oregon

Oct 10, 2021 at 03:10 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · A collection of Owls

Tough to pick favorites out of this excellent series of owl images, Dave! I enjoy all of them.

Joshua

Oct 10, 2021 at 07:16 PM
Teleguy1
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · A collection of Owls

AGeoJO wrote:
Tough to pick favorites out of this excellent series of owl images, Dave! I enjoy all of them.

Joshua

Thanks for the kind words Joshua!

Oct 12, 2021 at 01:14 PM
40Driggs
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · A collection of Owls

Great set! I like the variety here.

Oct 12, 2021 at 08:45 PM
weathabee

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · A collection of Owls

Lovely colors in the third image - great work!

Oct 13, 2021 at 11:12 AM
Teleguy1
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · A collection of Owls

40Driggs wrote:
Great set! I like the variety here.

Thanks, much appreciated!

Oct 14, 2021 at 06:08 AM
Teleguy1
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · A collection of Owls

weathabee wrote:
Lovely colors in the third image - great work!

Thanks for the kind words. I was very happy when the young Owl landed in that particular tree and I was able to circle around to put it against the sunset sky.

Oct 14, 2021 at 04:35 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.