New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2021 · Early Morning on Pinchot Lake

davidrhorer
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Early Morning on Pinchot Lake

I went to the lake to bird and photograph birds, but I spotted this gentleman first. 9/24, Pinchot Lake,York County, PA. Thoughts and constructive criticism welcome.

davidrhorer 2021

Sep 24, 2021 at 11:47 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Early Morning on Pinchot Lake

very nice
less on the bottom, more to add on the left?
Scott

Sep 24, 2021 at 12:21 PM
davidrhorer
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Early Morning on Pinchot Lake

sbeme wrote:
very nice
less on the bottom, more to add on the left?
Scott

Thanks, Scott. Subject still about the same size in the frame?

Sep 24, 2021 at 12:27 PM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Early Morning on Pinchot Lake

Very nice capture, David. I Like the mood of the image and how your rendered to tonality. However, I feel there is still something missing.

I am with Scott on this image and would go even further by adding a lot more negative space.
Contrary to what it may be thought I believe that it would add more definition to the subject and would create a better relationship with the bg/surroundings. It would make the viewer notice the subject even more.

It would also add some mystery, inviting the viewer to imagine the rest of the image/story.
Finally it would also add better feelings of solitude, and relaxation. IOW I believe it would add more impact to the image.

Here is a visual depiction of my comments for your consideration.

Anyway, this is how I see the image. At the end it is only your decision which message to send and how you want the viewer to feel about your image.

Socrate

Sep 24, 2021 at 01:00 PM
davidrhorer
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Early Morning on Pinchot Lake

Shasoc wrote:
Very nice capture, David. I Like the mood of the image and how your rendered to tonality. However, I feel there is still something missing.

I am with Scott on this image and would go even further by adding a lot more negative space.
Contrary to what it may be thought I believe that it would add more definition to the subject and would create a better relationship with the bg/surroundings. It would make the viewer notice the subject even more.

It would also add some mystery, inviting the viewer to imagine the rest of the image/story.
Finally it would
...Show more

Very nice, Socrate. You make some great points. Your last line really stands out.

Sep 24, 2021 at 03:11 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Early Morning on Pinchot Lake

My suggestions would make it more pano, more to "look into" on the left image side and might make the figure appear just a bit smaller.
That said, I think the direction Socrate illustrated is more effective. I like the message of the empty space/lone fisherman in the fog and I suppose you could even extend what he did much further to strengthen that message.
Your image, your message, your preference.

Scott

Sep 24, 2021 at 03:13 PM
davidrhorer
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Early Morning on Pinchot Lake

sbeme wrote:
My suggestions would make it more pano, more to "look into" on the left image side and might make the figure appear just a bit smaller.
That said, I think the direction Socrate illustrated is more effective. I like the message of the empty space/lone fisherman in the fog and I suppose you could even extend what he did much further to strengthen that message.
Your image, your message, your preference.

Scott

Thanks again, Scott.

Sep 24, 2021 at 03:42 PM
grandmas
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Early Morning on Pinchot Lake

Another option

Edited on Nov 12, 2021 at 01:53 AM · View previous versions

Sep 24, 2021 at 04:49 PM
davidrhorer
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Early Morning on Pinchot Lake

grandmas wrote:
Another option

I enjoyed this, too, and like the frame.

Sep 24, 2021 at 05:35 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Early Morning on Pinchot Lake

nice, grandmas!

Scott

Sep 24, 2021 at 06:22 PM
stephen_s1
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Early Morning on Pinchot Lake

I would have dropped anchor* and waited for the fog to lift a tiny bit more.

*assuming you were on another boat.

But it is what it is.. The bluetone ver is quite pleasant.

Sep 25, 2021 at 07:31 AM
davidrhorer
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Early Morning on Pinchot Lake

stephen_s1 wrote:
I would have dropped anchor* and waited for the fog to lift a tiny bit more.

*assuming you were on another boat.

But it is what it is.. The bluetone ver is quite pleasant.

Interesting. I was on the shore and had just scrambled out of my truck to get it.

All, here's my final edit (I think). I took all your good advice into consideration.

davidrhorer 2021

Sep 25, 2021 at 10:45 AM
EverLearning
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Early Morning on Pinchot Lake

Late to the dance here but I would say more space to the left. With that, either have it up high in the image to give a sense of distance from shore or low for a more traditional look. I would be inclined to avoid placing the subject in the middle third of the image, height-wise.

Don

Sep 26, 2021 at 11:46 AM
davidrhorer
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Early Morning on Pinchot Lake

EverLearning wrote:
Late to the dance here but I would say more space to the left. With that, either have it up high in the image to give a sense of distance from shore or low for a more traditional look. I would be inclined to avoid placing the subject in the middle third of the image, height-wise.

Don

Fair enough, Don. So you'd go along more with the other 2 versions?

Sep 26, 2021 at 12:51 PM
EverLearning
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Early Morning on Pinchot Lake

Probably something along the line of Socrate's version, if you want to lead the viewer to believe the boat/fisher is "out there".

Don

Sep 26, 2021 at 01:26 PM
davidrhorer
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Early Morning on Pinchot Lake

EverLearning wrote:
Probably something along the line of Socrate's version, if you want to lead the viewer to believe the boat/fisher is "out there".

Don

Thanks again. I like that version a lot, perhaps more than my final one. Appreciate the help.

Sep 26, 2021 at 01:51 PM
grandmas
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Early Morning on Pinchot Lake

I would suggest you find your own way of composing an image for some individuality as an artist not a photographer. When you compose using the rule of thirds exactly your images will be composed like images of the majority of other photos, with out individuality.

Sep 26, 2021 at 03:05 PM
davidrhorer
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Early Morning on Pinchot Lake

grandmas wrote:
I would suggest you find your own way of composing an image for some individuality as an artist not a photographer. When you compose using the rule of thirds exactly your images will be composed like images of the majority of other photos, with out individuality.

Good point. But to tell you the truth, I never even considered the rule when I placed the subject there. I generally wing it when I compose. Oftentimes that works, but sometimes it doesn't.

Sep 26, 2021 at 03:09 PM
grandmas
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Early Morning on Pinchot Lake

I was making a statement about composing in general not just this image. We all start somewhere and need to branch out at some point for individuality. Something to think about for future images.

Sep 26, 2021 at 04:30 PM
davidrhorer
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Early Morning on Pinchot Lake

grandmas wrote:
I was making a statement about composing in general not just this image. We all start somewhere and need to branch out at some point for individuality. Something to think about for future images.

All good (and true). Thanks.

Sep 26, 2021 at 04:34 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.