FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              32       33       end

Pre-order: Sony Alpha a7 IV Mirrorless

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Pre-order: Sony Alpha a7 IV Mirrorless

Pre-order: Sony Alpha a7 IV Mirrorless
The Highly Anticipated Sony A7 IV is here. Pre-Orders start at 12 PM- Noon Today! (EST)

The A7 III has been consistently a top selling camera since its introduction in 2018. Will the new A7 IV follow its footsteps?

Pre-order:

B&H Photo | Adorama | Explora Overview

Thanks for supporting FM!

_______

Key Features:
  1. 33MP Full-Frame Exmor R CMOS Sensor
  2. Up to 10 fps Shooting, ISO 100-51200
  3. 4K 60p Video in 10-Bit, S-Cinetone
  4. 3.68m-Dot EVF with 120 fps Refresh Rate
  5. 3" 1.03m-Dot Vari-Angle Touchscreen LCD
  6. 759-Pt. Fast Hybrid AF, Real-time Eye AF
  7. Focus Breathing Compensation
  8. 5-Axis SteadyShot Image Stabilization
  9. Creative Looks and Soft Skin Effect
  10. 4K 15p UVC/UAC Streaming via USB Type-C

Oct 21, 2021 at 11:17 AM
vipergts831
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Pre-order: Sony Alpha a7 IV Mirrorless

From SonyRumors

I have been told the A7IV has basically the same A7SIII body. It means it also has the same heatsink and a HDMI type A port and can take both UHS-II SD-cards and CF Xpress A cards

Sony A7IV rumored specs:

launch in October (if chip supply permits this)
Newly developed 33MP sensor
4k30 video is oversampled from 7K
5.5 stops of IBIS (+ AS)
Same A7sIII body design
Full size HDMi
UHS-II SD-cards and CF Xpress cards

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/rumor-sony-a7iv-a7siii-body-and-same-a7siii-heatsink/

Sep 16, 2021 at 08:58 AM
PhDographer

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Pre-order: Sony Alpha a7 IV Mirrorless

Hmmm...I guess that means there will likely be a weight increase from the A7iii.

Sep 16, 2021 at 09:02 AM
davev
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Pre-order: Sony Alpha a7 IV Mirrorless

In the comments of the SonyRumors article, a person said it would be 49 grams heavier, or 1.7 ounces.

I would think most people could handle 2 more ounces of weight and not even know it's there.

Sep 16, 2021 at 09:27 AM
Alan Parker
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Pre-order: Sony Alpha a7 IV Mirrorless

I would be very happy with the ergonomic improvements a body like that would give. I'm up for it

Sep 16, 2021 at 09:31 AM
LAARILEY
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Pre-order: Sony Alpha a7 IV Mirrorless

PhDographer wrote:
Hmmm...I guess that means there will likely be a weight increase from the A7iii.

Almost certainly. 50g or so.

Also, the rumour posted doesn't say it, but 4K60 is still expected but with a crop.

Sep 16, 2021 at 09:37 AM
lattesweden
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Pre-order: Sony Alpha a7 IV Mirrorless

Yes, the A7SIII body sounds all reasonable. And maybe plastic back part of the body as the A7III has to reduce weight and cost and lower spec EVF and LCD etc. Maybe just one Bionz XR processor as well.

The only outstanding question is if the sensor will have the same Phase difference tech as the new Sony m4/3 sensor has that (from what I understand) gives AF on all pixels. A rumor is out that the A7IV will have extremely good AF so that might match. Also the new Sony m4/3 sensor has a HDR mode, I understand that as the same as the Canon R3 now has, taking three images extremely quickly and combining them into one video frame.

And the last question is if they will pop in a stacked sensor or not. A stacked sensor with a read out speed at around 1/250 and also flash sync in that region would make them not need to put in a mech shutter and they can then spend that money on the more costly stacked sensor instead. It would also give it very good video rolling shutter suppression and make the body lighter.

The A7 series has A7II-A7III and A7III-A7IV been living 3+ years on the market. If the A7IV shall be able to do that, they must have something in it that feels fresh still 3 years from now and the above should do that since they would be first out with this.

All above are my speculation from some rumors, some real news, and some semi intelligent guess work to combine the dots.

Sep 16, 2021 at 09:49 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Pre-order: Sony Alpha a7 IV Mirrorless

It has almost zero chance of having a stacked sensor. Therefore it will never have 1/250 readout which is as fast as the A1. It will probably readout somewhere around the A7SIII. Remember even the A1 only reads at 1/60 in video mode.

It is going to get the updated body (probably the A7SIII flip screen as I'm sure it will be video centric), it will get the XR, it will get the new menus, it will gain the nice responsivness of operation like SIII and A1. It will get the dual SD/CFe-A slots. It will probably get the A7RIV EVF (but even the A9 EVF would be an upgrade). I doubt it will get the A7SIII EVF, but maybe. It will get the RIVa LCD as there must be some production issue with the old one. It will get the new video specs as rumored.

Sep 16, 2021 at 10:01 AM
vipergts831
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Pre-order: Sony Alpha a7 IV Mirrorless

I think it will be very interesting to see how it stacks up against the A92. Although an almost 2 year old camera but none the less will be interesting.

Sep 16, 2021 at 10:15 AM
lattesweden
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Pre-order: Sony Alpha a7 IV Mirrorless

vipergts831 wrote:
I think it will be very interesting to see how it stacks up against the A92. Although an almost 2 year old camera but none the less will be interesting.

The A9II is in much a 2017 camera. The version II add ons to the original A9 are things that did matter to pros but did not enhance image quality, speed or AF in any significant way on the sensor/processing side.

I don't see a problem with having the A7IV having A9/A9II quality on AF but lower fps and buffer and no RJ45 port etc that pros likes and even having a better sensor image quality, the A7III already has that.

There is most likely also an A9III coming at some point that would be better than the A7IV. Maybe also Sony then dicommisions the A9II as they seems to have made with the A9 and they then don't need to make that sensor anymore.

Sep 16, 2021 at 10:24 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

EdwardDye
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Pre-order: Sony Alpha a7 IV Mirrorless

All I really want in an A74 is better AF system, the S3 body and new menu

Sep 17, 2021 at 12:32 AM
nandadevieast
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Pre-order: Sony Alpha a7 IV Mirrorless

a7III is Sony’s bread and butter camera. They will want to protect it from Canon and Nikon so i expect it to be much more camera than its price would indicate.

Edited on Sep 17, 2021 at 11:23 AM · View previous versions

Sep 17, 2021 at 06:25 AM
Dagatech

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Pre-order: Sony Alpha a7 IV Mirrorless

I'm seriously debating an upgrade from my A7r2. Yes I would lose some megapixels, but I've made large prints from 16mp and been perfectly happy, so I'm okay with that. And I feel like the improvements (ergonomics, battery life, screens, etc.) would be very appreciated. Gonna depend a lot on pricing.

Sep 17, 2021 at 09:36 AM
Flavourdynamic
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Pre-order: Sony Alpha a7 IV Mirrorless

If they can give me a nice increase in resolution (33 MP rumoured), generally snappier use, updated AF, updated IBIS, a better EVF and LCD and the updated body and menus I'll get one for sure. Any other tricks and surprises would just be a bonus.

Sep 17, 2021 at 09:43 AM
1bwana1
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Pre-order: Sony Alpha a7 IV Mirrorless

I am looking at this as my backup body to my a1 depending on how it specs out when announced.

Sep 17, 2021 at 10:09 AM
lattesweden
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Pre-order: Sony Alpha a7 IV Mirrorless

nandadevieast wrote:
a7III is Sony’s bread and butter camera. They will want to protect it from Canon and Nikon so i expect it to be much more camera than its price would indicate.

Yes and the A7II-A7III and also A7III-A7IV has been on the market 3+ years so if the A7IV shall be on the market and make sense to about the 2024/25 shift - it needs to punch rather hard.

Sep 17, 2021 at 10:16 AM
lattesweden
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Pre-order: Sony Alpha a7 IV Mirrorless

arbitrage wrote:
It has almost zero chance of having a stacked sensor. Therefore it will never have 1/250 readout which is as fast as the A1. It will probably readout somewhere around the A7SIII. Remember even the A1 only reads at 1/60 in video mode.

It is going to get the updated body (probably the A7SIII flip screen as I'm sure it will be video centric), it will get the XR, it will get the new menus, it will gain the nice responsivness of operation like SIII and A1. It will get the dual SD/CFe-A slots. It will probably get the A7RIV EVF
...Show more

Regarding your comment of having zero chance of having a stacked sensor:

I am not really knowledgeable enough to say if the A7IV sensor has a chance to be stacked or not, but my thought process on the "It has a chance to be stacked" alternative goes like this:

* Most/many/all smartphone sensors are stacked these days.
* The latest RX100 versions use a stacked sensor.
* The recently announced m4/3 sensor from Sony is stacked (will most likely come in the GH6 and rumored early 2022 body from OM/Olympus).

On the cost side:
- Stacked sensors are more expensive to make.
+ Stacked sensors have components in the stacked layer that don't need to sit on other circuit boards.
+ A stacked sensor with enough high read out don't need a mech shutter in the body (that is an outside of Sony made component).

I have no idea how the real numbers for the above business case will look.
But, if the A7IV shall be on the market 3+ years as Sony has done with the A7II-A7III and now A7III-A7IV it needs to be a good seller and stand well until the shift 2024/25.

The new m4/3 stacked sensor seems to have on all pixels the possibility for HDR and also for "Phase difference". Sony seems to call that All-pixel-AF. And it then has no holes in the sensor so no image quality impact.

That technology would resonate well with the rumor that the A7IV will have very good AF so chances are that the A7IV sensor will have it too. But maybe one doesn't need to have the sensor stacked for that tech, I can't really say.

As for price, all new Sony models are more expensive at their launch than what the previous model was at its launch so I guess that the A7IV will cost what the A7III costed at launch plus 500 USD or so.

The A7III sensor Sony also use in the A7C and sold to others. It sits in Nikon Z6/Z6II, Panasonic S1, Leica SL2S and Sigma fp.

And Sony might count on the new A7IV sensor to also do that over time, making the volume higher.

If that is enough to sustain the business case for a 3+ year model on the market, I can't really say so the above is just guess work.

Sep 17, 2021 at 10:48 AM
nandadevieast
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Pre-order: Sony Alpha a7 IV Mirrorless

This stacked sensor thing will trickle down fast because of competition. When Canon and Nikon have it in their flagship models, Sony can spoil their party by selling it in mass market models.

At that point, i will buy an a9II 😎 at low prices

Sep 17, 2021 at 11:29 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Pre-order: Sony Alpha a7 IV Mirrorless

If A7IV has 33MP stacked I'll be buying day 1 even if they cripple the FPS to 10 (although I'd hope for at least 15).

It will be interesting to see where Sony goes with the A7IV and if the price will climb at all.

Sep 17, 2021 at 11:37 AM
curious80
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Pre-order: Sony Alpha a7 IV Mirrorless

davev wrote:
In the comments of the SonyRumors article, a person said it would be 49 grams heavier, or 1.7 ounces.

I would think most people could handle 2 more ounces of weight and not even know it's there.

It is adding up over generations and while each individual increase maybe small the total increase is substantial:

A7: 474g
A7II: 599g
A7III: 650g
A7IV: 700g?

Also the Sony A7x bodies are smaller compared to other bodies of similar weight and that makes them feel even heavier.

Sep 17, 2021 at 11:39 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password