Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Osprey from the kayak....

sathsy2017
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Osprey from the kayak....

Excellent captures Geoff. I cannot pick one favorite. If I have to, the last action shot of you(?) capturing is great...

Sep 20, 2021 at 05:09 PM
Maxxus46
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Osprey from the kayak....

nice - wonder if he can make a shorter hood for the 200-600? that would be sweet

Sep 21, 2021 at 07:23 AM
Maxxus46
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Osprey from the kayak....

fantastic set as usual Geoff! not sure which i like best... guess i like them all

Sep 21, 2021 at 07:25 AM
TimMunsey
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Osprey from the kayak....

Enjoyed those.
I would be happier if you had stabilisers on the kayak, looks a risky game.

Sep 22, 2021 at 05:48 AM
Maxxus46
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Osprey from the kayak....

Agreed... Many will go with a fishing kayak instead, as they offer a wider and much more stable platform

TimMunsey wrote:
Enjoyed those.

Sep 22, 2021 at 10:09 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Osprey from the kayak....

TimMunsey wrote:
Enjoyed those.

---------------------------------------------

Maxxus46 wrote:
Agreed... Many will go with a fishing kayak instead, as they offer a wider and much more stable platform

Way too big and heavy. Also most (all) position you way higher off the water which leads to lousy shots and more scary for the subjects. Even sitting down in my kayak is too high IMO for perfect on water shots. That is why I concentrate most of my kayaking shots on BIF and shorebound shorebirds. I rarely shoot birds on the water from kayak...I need to be on shore for those with camera on the ground.
This kayak is really stable, I can stand in it without tipping it if my bow is wedged into some reeds.
Regardless, all insured under home insurance which doesn't care how I wreck it. But I have no anxiety about going over or dropping the lens with my kayak and technique. YMMV.

Sep 22, 2021 at 12:31 PM
Maxxus46
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Osprey from the kayak....

Curious if you have seen these? https://www.wildernesssystems.com/us/kayaks/atak-120 From what I understand the seat is optional (if fishing) otherwise removable for lower profile. Weight is about 86lbs.how heavy is yours and what model? Thanks Geoff

arbitrage wrote:
---------------------------------------------

Way too big and heavy. Also most (all) position you way higher off the water which leads to lousy shots and more scary for the subjects. Even sitting down in my kayak is too high IMO for perfect on water shots. That is why I concentrate most of my kayaking shots on BIF and shorebound shorebirds. I rarely shoot birds on the water from kayak...I need to be on shore for those with camera on the ground.
This kayak is really stable, I can stand in it without tipping it if my bow is wedged into some reeds.
Regardless, all insured under
...Show more

Sep 22, 2021 at 02:59 PM
kdacharya
• • • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Osprey from the kayak....

congrats on a well deserved win

Sep 24, 2021 at 10:10 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Osprey from the kayak....

very nice set Geoff.. congrats on the win

Sep 25, 2021 at 02:59 AM
Dalantech
• • • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Osprey from the kayak....

Wonderful light and compositions!

Sep 25, 2021 at 06:46 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Maxxus46
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Osprey from the kayak....

Geoff
These are beautiful captures. Congrats!!

Sep 25, 2021 at 12:01 PM
GarySchim

p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Osprey from the kayak....

Great images of the Osprey Geoff. I have floated on the local rivers here in central Washington for decades. Starting with an inner tube and later expedition rafts, never with a camera though. Always focusing on the river and getting the best ride out of the rapids. Not a place for a 600, I was not even thinking about image capture like this. I did have an exceptional experience when ashore for lunch once. An Osprey caught my eye as it launched from its nest in the top of a dead snag in the middle of the Wenatchee River. On a mission of purpose, it wasted no time getting to river level, which was a foot or so deep in the shallows in late summer when the salmon begin to run. The Osprey, flying directly at me on the far bank, very quickly stretched out its talons as seen in one of your images, dipped them in the water and with the added weight, loss of air speed sank into the rapids deeper with a fighting fish "on hook." I could see it was really pulling to gain air speed and as soon as a huge salmon cleared the water horizontal to the birds length, the Osprey "handled" the large fish to point it's nose into the drection of flight to streamline the package. Remaining just above the water the Osprey required several wing beats to gain speed to be able to climb. Passing my location upriver gaining altitude, it continued climbing and in a wide turn to port had enough altitude to return to it's nest where the feast began. What an ideal location for an Osprey nest, I thought. Thanks for bringing that memory back for me!

Sep 25, 2021 at 11:36 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Osprey from the kayak....

Maxxus46 wrote:
Curious if you have seen these? https://www.wildernesssystems.com/us/kayaks/atak-120 From what I understand the seat is optional (if fishing) otherwise removable for lower profile. Weight is about 86lbs.how heavy is yours and what model? Thanks Geoff

Mine is the Wilderness Systems Pungo 120 at 49lbs

Sep 26, 2021 at 07:57 AM
Maxxus46
• • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Osprey from the kayak....

Nice. Thanks!! I'll look into these instead

arbitrage wrote:
Mine is the Wilderness Systems Pungo 120 at 49lbs

Sep 26, 2021 at 01:23 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Osprey from the kayak....

Congratulations , stunning work !

Birdie

Sep 27, 2021 at 10:19 AM
torobouk
• • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Osprey from the kayak....

Congratulations Geoff,
Gerard

Sep 27, 2021 at 11:23 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Osprey from the kayak....

Would never have the guts to go out in a kayak with $27K AU worth of gear. Awesome work Geoff.

Sep 29, 2021 at 09:52 PM
RRC99

p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Osprey from the kayak....

Osprey are such an amazing bird. It is incredible how loud the noise is when they hit the water.

Oct 10, 2021 at 03:26 PM
Swissblad
• •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Osprey from the kayak....

Stunning set of images - I'm gobsmacked!

Oct 18, 2021 at 08:32 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password