Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5      
       end

Archive 2021 · What’s Next For Fuji X-T5?

fjablo
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #1 · p.6 #1 · What’s Next For Fuji X-T5?

dpreview's (rather Richard Butler's) take on the topic:
https://www.dpreview.com/opinion/7852899286/just-what-is-an-x-h-and-what-does-fujifilm-s-new-flagship-tell-us-about-an-x-t5

some quotes:

"...the main distinction will be that the X-T has a slightly smaller grip and full traditional dials: essentially a 40MP X-H2 with a different control layout [...] This approach would even, in theory, leave room for an X-T5S with the Stacked sensor, though I doubt Fujifilm fancies its chances of selling two $2000+ APS-C models. [...]

The other possibility is that, with two X-H models playing the hybrid role, the X-T can become an even more traditional photographers camera: losing ProRes support and the CFexpress slot perhaps, retaining its dials and maybe even regaining the lovely two-way tilt LCD, rather than a fully articulated screen."

I would actually like it if the X-T line moved a bit in the direction of the X-Pro/X100V, esp. when it comes to build quality - give us a nice aluminium top plate (and/or a brass variant) like on the X100V Fuji! Or a champaign titanium finish like on the TX-1

Jun 06, 2022 at 10:01 AM
peters

p.6 #2 · p.6 #2 · What’s Next For Fuji X-T5?

Not really looking forward to the 40mpixel APS-C cameras. Canon just released the 32mpixel APS-C R7 and it is not for low-light shooting. From a review:

"This is a high-resolution APS-C sensor. Because it crams in more photosites than its lower-resolution rivals, it's better-suited to achieving high levels of photographic detail in daylight conditions, rather than high ISO performance in dingy ones. The scenario we shot in would be a test for any full-frame camera, and the EOS R7's JPEGs understandably show the effects of smoothing and noise reduction due to the high ISOs we shot at."

This will be worse with the 40mpixel sensor which is not stacked. I am assuming that there will be a lot of computational photography used to smooth out the noise - not something I am looking forward to. As it will be at least the better part of a year before an X-T5, I am getting the X-H2s for now and will look forward to the return of the dials and screen I love. I will use Topaz Gigapixel AI for when I need more resolution than 26mpixels (which won't be often).

Jun 06, 2022 at 10:15 AM
fjablo
• • •
p.6 #3 · p.6 #3 · What’s Next For Fuji X-T5?

peters wrote:
Not really looking forward to the 40mpixel APS-C cameras. Canon just released the 32mpixel APS-C R7 and it is not for low-light shooting.

It's a common misconception that high-res sensors would be worse in low light, but usually they are not. That is of course if you do a fair comparison and downsample to the same resolution as whatever the sensor has you are comparing with and sensors are of the same generation / same state of technology. For example look at the 60mp vs. 33mp Sony sensor - pretty much identical low light performance: https://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Sony%20ILCE-7M4,Sony%20ILCE-7RM4

Canon baking-in noise reduction in RAW files is a separate issue. Lets hope Fuji doesn't come to the same idea

Also Canon's 32mp APS-C sensors have been trailing Sony's APS-C sensors in low light performance by about half a stop, so the Fuji 40mp cameras will likely be better than the R7 and on par with the X-T4 / X-H2S

Edited on Jun 06, 2022 at 11:39 AM · View previous versions

Jun 06, 2022 at 11:23 AM
martini_shooter

p.6 #4 · p.6 #4 · What’s Next For Fuji X-T5?

Would be exciting if the X-T5 has a tilt screen. Leave the flippy screen to the PASM cameras.

Edited on Jun 06, 2022 at 11:55 AM · View previous versions

Jun 06, 2022 at 11:32 AM
peters

p.6 #5 · p.6 #5 · What’s Next For Fuji X-T5?

We will only be able to tell upon release.

If it does have as I expect it will, worse low-light performance, then I am better off with the H2s. If it is better than the H2s, I will be extremely surprised as it doesn't have the tech to support it.

I have been dealing with digital cameras and sensors since the beginning and the math just doesn't work this way, unless there is a significant jump in technology between now and then.

We shall see.

Jun 06, 2022 at 11:44 AM
bobby350z
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #6 · p.6 #6 · What’s Next For Fuji X-T5?

martini_shooter wrote:
Would be exciting if the X-T5 has a tilt screen. Leave the flippy screen to the PASM cameras.

My PASM camera (GFX100s) has a tilt screen.

Jun 06, 2022 at 12:33 PM
curious80
• • • •
p.6 #7 · p.6 #7 · What’s Next For Fuji X-T5?

peters wrote:
Not really looking forward to the 40mpixel APS-C cameras. Canon just released the 32mpixel APS-C R7 and it is not for low-light shooting. From a review:

"This is a high-resolution APS-C sensor. Because it crams in more photosites than its lower-resolution rivals, it's better-suited to achieving high levels of photographic detail in daylight conditions, rather than high ISO performance in dingy ones. The scenario we shot in would be a test for any full-frame camera, and the EOS R7's JPEGs understandably show the effects of smoothing and noise reduction due to the high ISOs we shot at."

This will be worse with
...Show more

Frankly whoever wrote this review seems to have no clue. Canon's 32.5 MP APS-C sensor has been their best APS-C sensor in terms of noise compared to their older 24MP sensors and its not much behind Sony 24MP and Fuji 26MP sensors at high ISO. You can check for example Canon M6 Mark II (32.5MP) vs Canon M6 (24MP), Sony a6400 (24MP) and X-T4(26MP) on dpreview studio comparison tool:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52127425049_f095057575_c.jpg

Jun 06, 2022 at 01:11 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.6 #8 · p.6 #8 · What’s Next For Fuji X-T5?

curious80 wrote:
Frankly whoever wrote this review seems to have no clue. Canon's 32.5 MP APS-C sensor has been their best APS-C sensor in terms of noise compared to their older 24MP sensors and its not much behind Sony 24MP and Fuji 26MP sensors at high ISO. You can check for example Canon M6 Mark II (32.5MP) vs Canon M6 (24MP), Sony a6400 (24MP) and X-T4(26MP) on dpreview studio comparison tool:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52127425049_f095057575_c.jpg

You beat me too it. ;-)

First the unreferenced quote in the post you replied to seem to be from this "TechRadar" overview. Not exactly where I'd look for definitive camera reviews and testing. In fact, in the article they also write:

"We had less than an hour with the EOS R7 in tricky shooting conditions at an indoor ice rink, so it's too early to make any firm conclusions about its image quality. We also haven't yet been able to examine its raw files, because these aren't yet supported by raw processing software. But it is possible to make some broad observations about its 32.5MP sensor."

So, this non-photography site... shot with it for less than an hour... at an ice rink... entirely in jpg mode.

Ahem.

The quality reviews of Canon cameras using the 32.5 MP 1.6x cropped sensor are quite positive, and most laud its noise performance among the things.

This is in line with the past two decades of sensor development, where the high resolution version of a sensor in one generation typically has better noise and dynamic range performance than the previous generation of that same sensor type that usually had lower resolution.

The fear that a new, higher MP sensor is going to produce worse noise and DR performance is one of those myths of digital photography that stubbornly sticks around despite all the evidence to the contrary. We have heard it stated authoritatively at _every_ juncture where a higher resolution sensor with newer technology was introduced. If it were true, by now, when we've gone from 3MP and lower early sensors to (in this case) one that has 10x the number of photo sites, the performance would be abominable.

I guarantee you that it isn't, and that it is better in every way than the older generation of lower-MP sensors.

Let's make an assumption for a moment: the rumored 40MP Fujiflm APS-C 1.5x (larger than the Canon sensor, BTW) cropped sensor uses an unstacked design. It is virtually certain that in the worst case it will equal the previous 26MP unstacked sensors used in earlier Fujifilm cameras in terms of noise and DR and improve on potential resolution.

It isn't going to be worse.

Jun 06, 2022 at 01:43 PM
SSISteve
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #9 · p.6 #9 · What’s Next For Fuji X-T5?

More horsepower in an X-T5 would be fine with me but I want the biggest improvement in the AF. If they can deliver on a top notch AF with eye tracking then I would be happy. A beer opener on the side would be nice but not a deal breaker.

Jun 06, 2022 at 08:25 PM
       end

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.