FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              14      
       end

GF 55mm f1.7

_Refraction

Upload & Sell: Off
p.15 #1 · p.15 #1 · GF 55mm f1.7

itsmrjack wrote:
Does this nervous transition zone smoothen out when stopping down at all? I'm thinking that it's a long enough focal length and short enough MFD that you can still get moderate focus fall-off up to f11.

It becomes less obtrusive as you stop down and I'd say by f/2.8 there are only traces of the "nervous" bokeh left, but the rendering of the transition zone still isn't great at the same distances and angles. I think it'd be fine for a casual observer, but as an owner (and I suspect most other photographers) would immediately pick up on the rendering looking a bit funky wide or close to wide open. So I don't think of stopping down as a mitigant for this; I simply try to avoid putting those sorts of backgrounds or foregrounds in my transition zones with the 55.

Murphy's law kicks in of course and a month or so back I got an otherwise very nice impromptu family group sequence at f/4-f/5.6 with what I thought was a marginal but hopefully acceptable transition zone background (trees and foliage some distance away at the edge of a playground)...got home and at some angles there is some definite awkwardness in the rendering back there though the subjects otherwise pop beautifully out of the background. However, it's definitely much less obtrusive at the smaller apertures to the extent that I think even most photographers wouldn't immediately notice let alone mind, and I hit it with a bit of negative clarity and structure in C1P which did the trick for me.

itsmrjack wrote:
Would you be open to taking and sharing a shot of the same object/scene where the 55 gets "nervous", but using both lenses to show how the transition zones compare? I sure would find it helpful and I'm guessing others would too!

Happy to give it a go but no promises on timeline, I'd need to find the time, remember to bring both lenses out, and probably locate or bribe a subject.

Apr 03, 2024 at 12:20 PM
gear-nut
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.15 #2 · p.15 #2 · GF 55mm f1.7

JadedWriter wrote:
Basically sounds like the only two...three things I might need would be the 110, 45-100 and 20-35. I do low angle group shots for ad work and need to incorporate bigger environments so definitely need something in the 24mm range.

Probably. I also have the 32-64 and little 50, and also just bought the 20-35. So far I've found the 32-64 essentially equal to the 45-100. I haven't received the 20-35 yet, but understand it's basically as good as either the 23 or 30 primes, and since it's nearly the same size and weight as the 23, it seems a no-brainer. At least if you know you need wider than 32... Knowing *my* typical uses, the 20-35 will probably be my least used lens, but none-the-less I like the idea of having it available. My big issue with the 20-35 plus 45-100 strategy, is I tend to use the 30-45 range (24-35 in Fx terms) *a lot...* So for me, if I could only have one, it would probably be the 32-64 plus 45-100, but I understand the logic behind living with the 35-45 gap...

Apr 03, 2024 at 12:23 PM
JadedWriter
• • • •
p.15 #3 · p.15 #3 · GF 55mm f1.7

For the ad work stuff I feel like I would need wider than 24mm for cushioning. I don't even think I hit 35mm for those and even that's too narrow the last time I tried. Group shots are a pain
gear-nut wrote:
Probably. I also have the 32-64 and little 50, and also just bought the 20-35. So far I've found the 32-64 essentially equal to the 45-100. I haven't received the 20-35 yet, but understand it's basically as good as either the 23 or 30 primes, and since it's nearly the same size and weight as the 23, it seems a no-brainer. At least if you know you need wider than 32... Knowing *my* typical uses, the 20-35 will probably be my least used lens, but none-the-less I like the idea of having it available. My big issue with the 20-35
...Show more

Apr 03, 2024 at 12:33 PM
itsmrjack

p.15 #4 · p.15 #4 · GF 55mm f1.7

_Refraction wrote:
It becomes less obtrusive as you stop down and I'd say by f/2.8 there are only traces of the "nervous" bokeh left, but the rendering of the transition zone still isn't great at the same distances and angles. I think it'd be fine for a casual observer, but as an owner (and I suspect most other photographers) would immediately pick up on the rendering looking a bit funky wide or close to wide open. So I don't think of stopping down as a mitigant for this; I simply try to avoid putting those sorts of backgrounds or foregrounds in my
...Show more

Where I'm from that's also known as sods law Seriously though, your description of the 55's transition behaviour is very helpful.

_Refraction wrote:
Happy to give it a go but no promises on timeline, I'd need to find the time, remember to bring both lenses out, and probably locate or bribe a subject.

Thanks, I appreciate these sorts of comparisons can get quite involved... which is why I decided to rent the 55 and 63 in order to see for myself. If I can get time I will try to post pictures - though I have managed to book the rental while in the midst of moving house, so let's see!

Cheers

Apr 04, 2024 at 03:36 PM
       end

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.