New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              13              15       16       end

GF 55mm f1.7

stgrove
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.14 #1 · p.14 #1 · GF 55mm f1.7

Those who own both the 50/3.5 and 55/1.7 prefer which lens? Is the AF quicker with the 50/3.5 on a 50SII and/or 100S?

Also do images seem to glow more using the 50SII than the 100S? Thanks.

Mar 31, 2024 at 11:09 AM
gear-nut
• • •
p.14 #2 · p.14 #2 · GF 55mm f1.7

I canít speak to the 50sii. My take on the 50 vs 55 on the 100s is as follows ó keep in mind this is for me and my main uses and I respect others needs may vary. The 55 is excellent optically even wide open and of course does f1.7. It is also large and weighty, about the same size and weight as the 80. Think old-school all metal 35mm 85/1.4 lenses for size/weight. AF is a little sluggish compared to LM lenses. Why Fuji did not include linear focus motors in these lenses is almost mind boggling ó at the current weight, a little extra for fast focus would have been welcome. By contrast the 50 is almost un-noticeable on the camera and focuses fast. IQ is equally excellent from f4 down.

Now to DoF and bokeh. Me, while I donít usually want shallow DoF in my ďstreetĒ style photos, I still appreciate good smooth bokeh. However the 55 (and 80) donít really give this until f2.8 or so anyway, unless the subject focus is pretty close. So for me, from a practical standpoint, the 50 is the easier choice. YMMV. All that said, I really enjoy both the 55 and 80 focals on MF, but I get those and more with the 45-100 zoom. And the weight of the zoom is equal to or less than both 1.7ís, plus I gain zoom flexibility, albeit at a loss of optical speed. But for that I have the 110, which has the LM.

So thatís all me, and again I respect others needs and opinions will vary, and I wouldnít argue with them about their choices

PS: Here I think the 45 and 63 warrant mention. I have not used either enough to comment, but from what others tell me, these might be good alternatives if you need the extra half-stop over the 50.

stgrove wrote:
Those who own both the 50/3.5 and 55/1.7 prefer which lens? Is the AF quicker with the 50/3.5 on a 50SII and/or 100S?

Mar 31, 2024 at 11:29 AM
stgrove
• • •
p.14 #3 · p.14 #3 · GF 55mm f1.7

Thanks gear-nut. The size of that little 50 is the draw for me. Agree about LM. They should have been put in each lens. BTW, is your 45-100 sharp at most FL? Must you use it 5.6 or f8 to extract the best from it? Thanks.

Mar 31, 2024 at 01:27 PM
gear-nut
• • •
p.14 #4 · p.14 #4 · GF 55mm f1.7

Mine is surprisingly good wide open across the zoom range. There might be a tad more contrast at the long end stopped down 1, but itís still very good wide open.

stgrove wrote:
Thanks gear-nut. The size of that little 50 is the draw for me. Agree about LM. They should have been put in each lens. BTW, is your 45-100 sharp at most FL? Must you use it 5.6 or f8 to extract the best from it? Thanks.

Mar 31, 2024 at 01:56 PM
Makten
• • • • •
p.14 #5 · p.14 #5 · GF 55mm f1.7

stgrove wrote:

If you don't "need" the faster aperture, the 50/3.5 is a no-brainer. A lot smaller, lighter, cheaper, draws very nicely and sharp enough for anything from wide open.

What do you mean with "glow"?

Apr 02, 2024 at 01:49 AM
itsmrjack

Upload & Sell: Off
p.14 #6 · p.14 #6 · GF 55mm f1.7

I'm also interested in the comparisons between the 55, the 50 and the 63.

More specifically, can anyone comment on the quality of the transitional bokeh of the GF 55, ie. the immediate fall-off from in to out of focus, both in front of and behind the subject? How smooth is it In comparison to the GF 50 and 63 at shared apertures?

For reference this thread https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1769560/0 has examples demonstrating that the GF 50 soundly beats the 63 in this particular aspect of rendering.

gear-nut, you mention the GF 55 bokeh is not smooth until f2.8, would you mind elaborating on this?

Thanks!

Apr 02, 2024 at 01:56 AM
stgrove
• • •
p.14 #7 · p.14 #7 · GF 55mm f1.7

Makten wrote:
If you don't "need" the faster aperture, the 50/3.5 is a no-brainer. A lot smaller, lighter, cheaper, draws very nicely and sharp enough for anything from wide open.

What do you mean with "glow"?

By glow I infer that when you have light sources or the main light from behind, but not directly into the lens it can give an older cinematic look to the edges of your subjects. It is often associated with older lenses which were not well corrected 50 years ago and you can sometimes find this trait in a newer 1.0 to 1.7 lens. Thanks.

Apr 02, 2024 at 07:00 AM
_Refraction

p.14 #8 · p.14 #8 · GF 55mm f1.7

itsmrjack wrote:
I'm also interested in the comparisons between the 55, the 50 and the 63.

More specifically, can anyone comment on the quality of the transitional bokeh of the GF 55, ie. the immediate fall-off from in to out of focus, both in front of and behind the subject? How smooth is it In comparison to the GF 50 and 63 at shared apertures?

I don't have the 50, but I picked up the 55 on release and have had the 63 and 110 for a few years now. My take is that the close up transitional bokeh of the 55 shows a similar "nervous" character as the 110, in that if you get the right combination of distance and a repetitive patterned background (like grass), you get a sort of smudgy pattern look. I took a bunch of test shots in the first few weeks with the 55 to establish this at a whole range of distances and foreground/background objects to get a feel for it, and now I just take it into account in setting up my shots. For me it's simply another lens characteristic that I work with/around - sure, it would be nice not to have to deal with it, but the other advantages of the 55 outweigh it for me (and even outweigh its disappointing AF performance).

For me the 63 has been more of a light walkaround and landscape lens, as I largely use the 45 for environmental portraiture where foreground and background bokeh come into play. So I can't say I've ever noticed the same "nervous" transitional zone bokeh issues with the 63 - but a quick flick through my catalogue doesn't show up any of the transitional situations where it would occur, so I think this is a case of my not using the 63 in that way rather than it not displaying that behaviour. I've always liked the rendering, fall-off and even bokeh of the 63 on the rare occasion I used it wide or close to wide open.

Apr 02, 2024 at 12:27 PM
itsmrjack

p.14 #9 · p.14 #9 · GF 55mm f1.7

_Refraction wrote:
I don't have the 50, but I picked up the 55 on release and have had the 63 and 110 for a few years now. My take is that the close up transitional bokeh of the 55 shows a similar "nervous" character as the 110, in that if you get the right combination of distance and a repetitive patterned background (like grass), you get a sort of smudgy pattern look. I took a bunch of test shots in the first few weeks with the 55 to establish this at a whole range of distances and foreground/background objects to get a
...Show more

Thanks this is really helpful to know, if a little disappointing to hear.

Does this nervous transition zone smoothen out when stopping down at all? I'm thinking that it's a long enough focal length and short enough MFD that you can still get moderate focus fall-off up to f11.

_Refraction wrote:
For me the 63 has been more of a light walkaround and landscape lens, as I largely use the 45 for environmental portraiture where foreground and background bokeh come into play. So I can't say I've ever noticed the same "nervous" transitional zone bokeh issues with the 63 - but a quick flick through my catalogue doesn't show up any of the transitional situations where it would occur, so I think this is a case of my not using the 63 in that way rather than it not displaying that behaviour. I've always liked the rendering, fall-off and even bokeh
...Show more

Would you be open to taking and sharing a shot of the same object/scene where the 55 gets "nervous", but using both lenses to show how the transition zones compare? I sure would find it helpful and I'm guessing others would too!

Cheers

Apr 02, 2024 at 03:50 PM
gear-nut
• • •
p.14 #10 · p.14 #10 · GF 55mm f1.7

itsmrjack wrote:
gear-nut, you mention the GF 55 bokeh is not smooth until f2.8, would you mind elaborating on this?

Thanks!

Hard to describe definitively, but wide open at kind of normal subject distances between about 4 and 8 feet, there is a ďnervousnessĒ to the rear bokeh at the transition zone that can be distracting. It softens up a lot even by f2 and virtually gone by f2.8, and itís also not present when subject distance gets closer. As stated above, the 110 exhibits similar behavior, but at typical portrait distances it hasnít been a big issue for me.

Apr 02, 2024 at 04:56 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

JadedWriter
• • • •
p.14 #11 · p.14 #11 · GF 55mm f1.7

Maybe I don't pixel peep enough, but I have no idea what you guys mean by the bokeh nervousness.

Apr 02, 2024 at 05:36 PM
gear-nut
• • •
p.14 #12 · p.14 #12 · GF 55mm f1.7

How about jittery or rough as opposed to smooth? And itís visible at normal full screen resolution, no need to get to the actual pixel level of magnification to see it.

JadedWriter wrote:
Maybe I don't pixel peep enough, but I have no idea what you guys mean by the bokeh nervousness.

Apr 02, 2024 at 05:54 PM
JadedWriter
• • • •
p.14 #13 · p.14 #13 · GF 55mm f1.7

I honestly just take pictures, edit and move on. I think if I didn't like how the images looked I would've sent it back. The lens hasn't been bothering me, granted I just got it.
gear-nut wrote:
How about jittery or rough as opposed to smooth? And itís visible at normal full screen resolution, no need to get to the actual pixel level of magnification to see it.

Apr 02, 2024 at 06:31 PM
gear-nut
• • •
p.14 #14 · p.14 #14 · GF 55mm f1.7

Well the lens is incredible optically, and I said so above. The only nits for my uses were the relatively sluggish AF and weight, especially compared to the 50. The optical speed wasnít a real need for my intended uses. The weird close focus bokeh us just an anomaly worth mentioning as a couple folks asked specifically about it.

JadedWriter wrote:
I honestly just take pictures, edit and move on. I think if I didn't like how the images looked I would've sent it back. The lens hasn't been bothering me, granted I just got it.

Apr 02, 2024 at 07:01 PM
JadedWriter
• • • •
p.14 #15 · p.14 #15 · GF 55mm f1.7

Noted. I do think I'm probably like the worst person to describe lens characteristics. I either like something or I don't and just leave it at that. I've been shooting these 1.7 lenses on single point and single frame. These things are not speed demons I can get random moments with them so far at least. Will I try to get running kids with these? Yeah no
gear-nut wrote:
Well the lens is incredible optically, and I said so above. The only nits for my uses were the relatively sluggish AF and weight, especially compared to the 50. The optical speed wasnít a real need for my intended uses. The weird close focus bokeh us just an anomaly worth mentioning as a couple folks asked specifically about it.

Apr 02, 2024 at 07:11 PM
gear-nut
• • •
p.14 #16 · p.14 #16 · GF 55mm f1.7

🤣 Yeah. However, and perhaps surprisingly, LM lenses like the 45-100 on the PD bodies will actually track small kids running around doing things like collecting Easter eggs. But even so, it aint in the same league as say Nikon Z9 tracking 🤷🏼‍♂️

JadedWriter wrote:
Noted. I do think I'm probably like the worst person to describe lens characteristics. I either like something or I don't and just leave it at that. I've been shooting these 1.7 lenses on single point and single frame. These things are not speed demons I can get random moments with them so far at least. Will I try to get running kids with these? Yeah no

Apr 02, 2024 at 08:08 PM
Makten
• • • • •
p.14 #17 · p.14 #17 · GF 55mm f1.7

itsmrjack wrote:
Thanks this is really helpful to know, if a little disappointing to hear.

Does this nervous transition zone smoothen out when stopping down at all? I'm thinking that it's a long enough focal length and short enough MFD that you can still get moderate focus fall-off up to f11.

Would you be open to taking and sharing a shot of the same object/scene where the 55 gets "nervous", but using both lenses to show how the transition zones compare? I sure would find it helpful and I'm guessing others would too!

Cheers

There are lots of examples of nervous bokeh earlier in the thread. From here and on: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1717034/5#16354233
Basically, the bokeh is smoother at closer distance and/or stopped down a bit. This is a very common behaviour.

Apr 03, 2024 at 10:35 AM
JadedWriter
• • • •
p.14 #18 · p.14 #18 · GF 55mm f1.7

Interesting. I think the LM stuff makes me want to get the 110F2 at some point. The 45-100 is also very tempting, I'm just trying to figure out how much to budget for beefing this system up. Z mount kinda feels "done" in a way minus really wanting the Plena, but I've been enjoying shooting GFX oddly given how slow people told me it was for years. I don't shoot it for the speed stuff and pack the Z9 on work shoots where I pack the GFX specifically for that stuff.
gear-nut wrote:
🤣 Yeah. However, and perhaps surprisingly, LM lenses like the 45-100 on the PD bodies will actually track small kids running around doing things like collecting Easter eggs. But even so, it aint in the same league as say Nikon Z9 tracking 🤷🏼‍♂️

Apr 03, 2024 at 11:45 AM
gear-nut
• • •
p.14 #19 · p.14 #19 · GF 55mm f1.7

JadedWriter wrote:
Interesting. I think the LM stuff makes me want to get the 110F2 at some point. The 45-100 is also very tempting, I'm just trying to figure out how much to budget for beefing this system up. Z mount kinda feels "done" in a way minus really wanting the Plena, but I've been enjoying shooting GFX oddly given how slow people told me it was for years. I don't shoot it for the speed stuff and pack the Z9 on work shoots where I pack the GFX specifically for that stuff.

Well...

If you get the 110, you'll forget all about wanting the Plena on the Z. Seriously. (Plus as you already know, if you crop to 35mm the 110 becomes essentially a 135 FoV and still around 60MP of image -- and they're just about the same weight lol!) The 110 is in a league of it's own -- focuses fast, especially in MF terms, and rendering is glorious from wide open to whatever. If you do people, you will want a black-net filter, at least a 1/8th and probably a 1/4r too. (Caveat: the 110 can exhibit the closer-background jaggy bokeh when focused close and wide open -- however, for most of my uses this goes unnoticed.)

The 45-100 is essentially as good as the primes in that range it replaces other than optical speed and also is a fast focuser, at least on the 100MP bodies. It is the goto lens left on my camera almost all the time.

Apr 03, 2024 at 12:00 PM
JadedWriter
• • • •
p.14 #20 · p.14 #20 · GF 55mm f1.7

Basically sounds like the only two...three things I might need would be the 110, 45-100 and 20-35. I do low angle group shots for ad work and need to incorporate bigger environments so definitely need something in the 24mm range.
gear-nut wrote:
Well...

If you get the 110, you'll forget all about wanting the Plena on the Z. Seriously. (Plus as you already know, if you crop to 35mm the 110 becomes essentially a 135 FoV and still around 60MP of image -- and they're just about the same weight lol!) The 110 is in a league of it's own -- focuses fast, especially in MF terms, and rendering is glorious from wide open to whatever. If you do people, you will want a black-net filter, at least a 1/8th and probably a 1/4r too. (Caveat: the 110 can exhibit the
...Show more

Apr 03, 2024 at 12:10 PM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.