FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2021 · Question - A sports team wants to license a photo

Sharona
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Question - A sports team wants to license a photo

So let me me say I'm not a pro.
Background:
1. A racing team saw a photo I took of one of their cyclists.
2. They emailed me and asked if they could license it to use as a backdrop (I suppose for events.)
3. I am reading up but have no clue how much to charge for this image.
4. Most of my photos are donated to wildlife charities, so this is certainly a first.

I see a lot of testiness when these questions come up, so I am not even sure I want to go here.

My first thought was just to give them the photo in exchange for one of their cycling helmets as I am in need.

Any help or direction would be appreciated but if you want to wag your finger and scold me for not doing the dirty work or something of that nature, you will be ignored. This is a total surprise, and I feel as though I don't have time to wade through my business for photographers book which is probably outdated anyway.

Thanks in advance.

Aug 30, 2021 at 01:43 PM
tcphoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Question - A sports team wants to license a photo

Ask them exactly how the image will be used and for how long, use any number of online calculators and decide what you think the image it worth. The image is a known quantity, they have no risk of hiring someone to shoot it so you are at an advantage. I would quote your rate and then ask for a helmet, odds are he'll love it and give it to you.

Aug 30, 2021 at 02:22 PM
gchappel
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Question - A sports team wants to license a photo

Cycling teams usually have little in the way of funds.
I personally would be glad to trade an image for access.
Access in the team car, to the start/finish line.
Get them to throw in a helmet or jersey and I would be happy.
Those things would be worth more than the money for me.
Congrats!!
Gary

Aug 30, 2021 at 07:19 PM
Sharona
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Question - A sports team wants to license a photo

Thanks for the very thoughtful replies. I am inclined to agree with you, Gary. (Unless you're talking about Ineos Grenadiers, lol). This was an unsupported gravel race, so no team car, etc. And as a volunteer I have access to the finish line if I want. But I think I will craft an email for a trade, perhaps the opportunity to do more serious work for them in the future if they're in the area. (Oh and a helmet.)

Thanks again, really appreciate the input here.

Aug 31, 2021 at 08:08 AM
AndrewNYC
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Question - A sports team wants to license a photo

Sharona wrote:
Thanks for the very thoughtful replies. I am inclined to agree with you, Gary. (Unless you're talking about Ineos Grenadiers, lol). This was an unsupported gravel race, so no team car, etc. And as a volunteer I have access to the finish line if I want. But I think I will craft an email for a trade, perhaps the opportunity to do more serious work for them in the future if they're in the area. (Oh and a helmet.)

Thanks again, really appreciate the input here.

I would charge them something rather than nothing. Like $500.

Aug 31, 2021 at 10:54 AM
tcphoto
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Question - A sports team wants to license a photo

Never give away an image unless it has a direct benefit to your business or it's a charity that you would otherwise support. Odds are, the club will pay for placement or allow a Sponsor to use it to support their business.

Aug 31, 2021 at 10:59 AM
mdude85
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Question - A sports team wants to license a photo

I'd probably charge $149, and if they balk at that then ask for a helmet.

My sense is that all the online calculators are either outdated or they're not actually correlated with any real success in selling photos.

Sep 02, 2021 at 02:11 PM
Efacc

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Question - A sports team wants to license a photo

If it’s a team, you’re probably right that they have low budget. If it’s a company (like the helmet maker) they should definitely have a photo budget. I work for a cycling industry brand. Whoever suggested $150-200 is in line with what I’ve seen. If it’s for the team not the brand, one of our local photogs charges ~80-100. You shouldn’t feel like you have to give it away

Sep 03, 2021 at 06:35 PM
Sharona
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Question - A sports team wants to license a photo

Just wanted to pop back in and let you know the outcome. First, thank you all for the thoughtful replies. If I've learned anything, it's that I need to re-learn the business side and get my website updated.

So: I decided to barter the image for a helmet. It felt disingenuous to ask for any sum of money for an image I wasn't actually hired to shoot. I did let them know that I'm available and would enjoy the opportunity to photograph their team if they're in our area again. Probably won't hit me up on that, but at least I put the offer out there.

They agreed to the barter agreement, so I should be getting a new helmet, which I actually need, so I feel it's an acceptable outcome. I know that "giving" away images is not a great precedent, and I wouldn't ordinarily do that. But I think it was a decent way to handle this particular circumstance, given that it came as a total surprise, and I wasn't actually hired for the work.

Again, sincere thanks!

Sep 04, 2021 at 08:15 AM
cocodrillo
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Question - A sports team wants to license a photo

Payment doesn't need to be in cash and a good helmet ain't cheap. The key is exchange of an asset of value for your work. Sounds like you probably came out equivalent to the $100-$200 price range and everyone is happy. That's a good outcome in my books. Now, if you had to pay the bills with the camera... different story.

Nov 17, 2021 at 09:43 PM
Jim Cowsert
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Question - A sports team wants to license a photo

I make decent money being a pro, but have bartered several times in the past. Once bartered with a local restaurant for $500 dollars in a gift card. Got to go there 8 times over the year with my wife.
Sounds like you made a good agreement.

Nov 18, 2021 at 06:43 PM
TT1000
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Question - A sports team wants to license a photo

Sharona wrote:

So: I decided to barter the image for a helmet…

Don’t forget to report the FMV of the helmet as income.

M-m-m-my Sharona
M-m-m-my Sharona
M-m-m-my Sharona
M-m-m-my Sharona

Nov 22, 2021 at 10:40 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.