Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

SK Grimes to perform Surgery on my (Fred's) Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heli...

naturephoto1
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · SK Grimes to perform Surgery on my (Fred's) Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical III VM

I have decided to send in my (Fred's) Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical III VM lens into SK Grimes for surgery. This is as an outgrowth of Guy's thread and procedure (and our PM's back and forth):

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1580703/0

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1580703/6&year=2019#14755053

This is the first 12mm Voigtlander lens that SK Grimes has worked on and I believe this is going to be a relatively delicate operation. I spoke to Adam at SK Grimes about this a short time ago. I have not used the lens that often, but I want to have great flexibility with the lens. Rather than go the Bombo route to work around the lens petals with a special adapter ring and special 100mm filter holder (I do not want the size of a 150mm holder and filters; this is a small lens) I am going to have the lens surgically "altered".

I want the lens petals removed in some way and to have 62mm threads installed to the lens (much like what Guy had done though he just pushed the filter threads into the lens). Expected time to do the work due to having to do any Black anodizing will be 6 to 8 weeks. By doing what I wish I should be able to use the lens with 62mm filter sizes, leaving a B+W 62mm XS-Pro UV MRC Nano #010M Filter protecting the front element, allowing me to use other 62mm filters, using a 62mm to 77mm step up ring to use all 4 of my 77mm Breakthrough and Singh-Ray Circular Polarizing filters, and use my Singh-Ray Thin Vari-NDô Variable Neutral Density (ND) Filter. My 77mm Singh-Ray Thin Vari-N-Duoô Variable Neutral Density Filter just clips the corners of my Leica M WATE with the 67mm adapter when the lens is set to 21mm so I expect there will be vignetting using this filter with a 62mm thread as well. Additionally, I can use one of my Lee 100mm Foundation kit filter holders with the lens but I will have to check how many slots can be used: 2, 3, or 4 (the Bombo system only allows for 2). I may be able to use my Singh-Ray Color Combo Circular Polarizer in the Cokin Z Pro Sprocket with one of my holders that is set up to block the filter from dropping through but the holder is set up for 4 filters (so there may well be cut off). Additionally, going this route, I should be able to use my Singh-Ray Mor-Sloô Solid Neutral Density (ND) Filters and my George Lepp solid ND filter with gaskets as well as my Singh-Ray and Lee Graduated filters with the lens. The question is how many slots and how many filters can be used. I may have to cover the holder for really long exposures however to prevent light leakage.

I expect to send the lens along with the 62mm B+W UV filter, 62mm Sony pinch cap, 62mm Sensei Brass 62mm to 77mm step up ring, and 62mm WA Filter Dude Lee Foundation Kit adapter ring to SK Grimes tomorrow.

I will keep everyone posted as things progress and fill everyone in as the lens and parts are returned along with the capabilities and limitations of this option as well as the final price for all of the work.

Rich

Aug 23, 2021 at 10:06 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · SK Grimes to perform Surgery on my (Fred's) Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical III VM

Hi Rich,
Please post the results when you get it back. Hopefully, there will be no induced vignetting.

Aug 23, 2021 at 02:51 PM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · SK Grimes to perform Surgery on my (Fred's) Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical III VM

Fred Miranda wrote:
Hi Rich,
Please post the results when you get it back. Hopefully, there will be no induced vignetting.

Hi Fred,

Thank you. I hope that SK Grimes gets it right. As you may recall, Guy was able to get the filters close enough to the front element so he didn't notice any.

Rich

Aug 23, 2021 at 03:25 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · SK Grimes to perform Surgery on my (Fred's) Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical III VM

Fun . I did about 3 lenses . My latest version was the ability to just slide a filter on it. It took some spacing tricks but it worked nice. Right now I have a Laowa 14 that I have a great copy was selling it but Iím thinking of keeping it. My A9II comes tomorrow

Aug 23, 2021 at 03:40 PM
offtraildog
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · SK Grimes to perform Surgery on my (Fred's) Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical III VM

slighlty off-topic .. surprised you aren't keeping your A7C as a back up since it is the same size sensor as the A9II.

Aug 23, 2021 at 03:58 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · SK Grimes to perform Surgery on my (Fred's) Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical III VM

Yes but Iím thinning the herd and also the work has thinned. But thatís kinda of the plan too.

Aug 23, 2021 at 07:03 PM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · SK Grimes to perform Surgery on my (Fred's) Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical III VM

I said goodbye to the lens and just dropped it off at our local PO. It will go from our PO to our Regional PO and is scheduled for delivery at Woonsocket, RI PO on Friday.

In my cover note to Adam, I asked that they get the 62mm threads installed so that the B+W UV filter would be as close to the front element as possible without contacting the element and that both adapter rings would also work (screw into the thread) and in all cases do the work so there would be no vignetting. I also asked that whatever they do should also provide some protection for the lens bulbous front element. I hope that get this right, but they are the professionals with many years experience and one of if not the finest machine shops for Photographers in the United States. By the way the inside of the Petals of the lens measures just about or at 62mm.

Rich

Edited on Aug 24, 2021 at 01:16 PM · View previous versions

Aug 24, 2021 at 01:01 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · SK Grimes to perform Surgery on my (Fred's) Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical III VM

Yea I did a nice job getting the filter glass just above the lens glass but really it was hard to do . A machine shop is certainly the better way to go about this as your looking for a setup sort of what I did . Please keep us plugged in on it but for sure it does work and look forward to seeing the results. Good luck

Aug 24, 2021 at 01:09 PM
hanay78
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · SK Grimes to perform Surgery on my (Fred's) Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical III VM

Extremelly interested by your modification!!!! long time wishing to be able to know of such kind of solution

Aug 24, 2021 at 03:24 PM
MAubrey
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · SK Grimes to perform Surgery on my (Fred's) Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical III VM

I would be surprised if the procedure is "delicate." The petals can be removed separately from the optical block with just a removal of the front decorative ring and a few screws. Then it just comes off.

There shouldn't be any reason for there to be any danger to the glass or the centering of the lens at any time.

Aug 24, 2021 at 03:29 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · SK Grimes to perform Surgery on my (Fred's) Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical III VM

hanay78 wrote:
Extremelly interested by your modification!!!! long time wishing to be able to know of such kind of solution

The photos in my first posting are the Bombo solution working around the lens petals of the Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical III. What will be coming back from SK Grimes should be very different without the "hood" portion of the Bombo Adapter. I will have to see how many filter slots I will be able to use with my 100mm Lee Foundation Filter Holders. Looking at the Bombo set-up more carefully, I may be able to use 4 slots and 4 filters, but I will have to determine that after the lens is returned.

MAubrey wrote:
I would be surprised if the procedure is "delicate." The petals can be removed separately from the optical block with just a removal of the front decorative ring and a few screws. Then it just comes off.

There shouldn't be any reason for there to be any danger to the glass or the centering of the lens at any time.

OK. Thank you. Perhaps I should let SK Grimes know about removing the decorative ring and to remove the petals with the retaining screws. Hopefully the ring can be reinstalled after the modification. But, regardless, the delicate part of this is going to be to get the 62mm filter thread installed so that the B+W UV filter will be installed so that the glass of the filter should be as close as possible to the bulbous front element without making any contact. But I will defer to Adam and Joel at SK Grimes and their staff as to how to proceed on the work.

Rich

Aug 24, 2021 at 03:31 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · SK Grimes to perform Surgery on my (Fred's) Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical III VM

I never seen a decorative ring or any image of showing it come off. To me its a ghost story . Ive heard it before and could never figure that out. Love to see a video of it actually being removed and I can say im a idiot for not seeing it.

Aug 24, 2021 at 04:07 PM
MAubrey
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · SK Grimes to perform Surgery on my (Fred's) Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical III VM

GMPhotography wrote:
I never seen a decorative ring or any image of showing it come off. To me its a ghost story . Ive heard it before and could never figure that out. Love to see a video of it actually being removed and I can say im a idiot for not seeing it.

I wish I could post something, but I've sold since mine. I used a rubber lens tool to unscrew the front plate when I disassembled mine.

Aug 24, 2021 at 04:43 PM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · SK Grimes to perform Surgery on my (Fred's) Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical III VM

MAubrey wrote:
I wish I could post something, but I've sold since mine. I used a rubber lens tool to unscrew the front plate when I disassembled mine.

Hi Mike,

Are you saying that you used a rubber lens tool to unscrew the decorative lens ring? Whatever information that you can provide I will pass along to SK Grimes.

Thanks again for your input.

Rich

Aug 24, 2021 at 04:48 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · SK Grimes to perform Surgery on my (Fred's) Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical III VM

MAubrey wrote:

Man never ever saw this . Well I maybe one of the first pioneers to actually do this.

Crazy as hell

Aug 24, 2021 at 04:58 PM
MAubrey
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · SK Grimes to perform Surgery on my (Fred's) Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical III VM

naturephoto1 wrote:
Hi Mike,

Are you saying that you used a rubber lens tool to unscrew the decorative lens ring? Whatever information that you can provide I will pass along to SK Grimes.

Thanks again for your input.

Rich

Found a discussion of the 15mm III that's comparable. The front area disassembly starts about half way down.

https://yukosteel.wordpress.com/2021/06/13/disassembly-voigtlander-15mm-f4-5-iii-super-wide-heliar-aspherical-in-leica-m-mount/

It's possible that GM couldn't remove it because there was also some glue in addition to the threading?

But this is the same basic design as I've seen with both the 12mm and the 21mm for their hoods.

And actually, the silver front bayonet of the CV Nokton 35mm f/1.2 II is basically identical to this, too.

Aug 24, 2021 at 05:21 PM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · SK Grimes to perform Surgery on my (Fred's) Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical III VM

MAubrey wrote:
Found a discussion of the 15mm III that's comparable. The front area disassembly starts about half way down.

https://yukosteel.wordpress.com/2021/06/13/disassembly-voigtlander-15mm-f4-5-iii-super-wide-heliar-aspherical-in-leica-m-mount/

It's possible that GM couldn't remove it because there was also some glue in addition to the threading?

But this is the same basic design as I've seen with both the 12mm and the 21mm for their hoods.

And actually, the silver front bayonet of the CV Nokton 35mm f/1.2 II is basically identical to this, too.

Hi Mike,

Thank you very much for all of this information. I will call Adam at SK Grimes tomorrow and fill him in and also send him the link to removing the front decorative ring. I will ask that they read the link carefully so as to not remove the paint on the ring. I doubt that they will have a Voigtlander rear cap to use to remove the ring, but as a well equipped Photography Machine Shop they should have something to protect the bulbous front element and at the same time unscrew the ring. The 15mm lens in the link is/was Fred's 15mm Voigtander lens that SK Grimes had cut down the petals. But, I will explain to Adam that once the decorative ring is removed that there are the 3 screws that have to be removed to allow for the petal assembly to be removed from the lens. So, if this is the case, SK Grimes will just need to prepare the right sized replacement ring that is cut to the proper size that has the 62mm filter threads installed. Once the new part is then prepared and black anodized the decorative ring should then be able to be reinstalled and glued back in place.

Rich

Aug 24, 2021 at 05:46 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · SK Grimes to perform Surgery on my (Fred's) Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical III VM

MAubrey wrote:

Yes, the entire hood actually comes off for all three lenses (CV 10, 12 and 15mm). Just unscrew the decorative ring and remove the screws.

Aug 24, 2021 at 06:03 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · SK Grimes to perform Surgery on my (Fred's) Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical III VM

MAubrey wrote:

https://yukosteel.wordpress.com/2021/06/13/disassembly-voigtlander-15mm-f4-5-iii-super-wide-heliar-aspherical-in-leica-m-mount

That's actually my lens!
I still own it and love it.

Aug 24, 2021 at 06:04 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · SK Grimes to perform Surgery on my (Fred's) Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical III VM

So you still have to grind down the hood or what am I missing here

Aug 24, 2021 at 06:22 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.