New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2021 · Best introduction to artificial light photography

Neurad1
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Best introduction to artificial light photography

To date all of my photography has employed natural light. I would like to begin learning about use of artificial light and would appreciate recommendations of books, websites, or youtube videos that would best get me started on this path.

Thank you very much in advance.

JC (Neurad1)

Aug 18, 2021 at 11:13 AM
Chris Court
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Best introduction to artificial light photography

There are a ton of excellent resources out there, but for someone just starting out Gavin Hoey on YouTube is great. And if you don’t mind spending a few dollars, Zack Arias’ Onelight Workshop videos are just superb.

C

Edited on Aug 21, 2021 at 12:37 AM · View previous versions

Aug 18, 2021 at 03:48 PM
CharleyL
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Best introduction to artificial light photography

Yes, start with one light, then add a reflector later. You can do a lot with the one light and a reflector. The reflector can even be a piece of white foam core board from Walmart or the stationery store, and you will learn a lot from the experimental or real photos that you take with this setup. There are many books and even Youtube videos on using just one light for portrait photography. You don't need a lot of equipment to get started, although most YouTube videos are now becoming commercial and pushing new photo gear. Avoid buying more than the one photo light, a shoot through white umbrella and a reflector, until you have become very good with just these and your camera. If you buy more without learning the basics, you will likely never really learn the basics and waste a lot of money in the process.

Then maybe it will be time for the second speedlite and shoot through umbrella. Again, learn this combination before going further. There are times when you will find the second light unnecessary, but using both and your reflector will help you learn proper lighting and what these lights can and cannot do. Most portrait photography can be done well if you only have this much equipment.

Yes, adding more will help you learn more, but take your time and learn 1 and 2 light setups and how light works before buying anything else, except maybe a backdrop and stand, but use walls, doors, bushes, etc. in the beginning. They are free to use and you don't even need to pack and unpack them.

An off camera speedlite and a white shoot through umbrella mounted on a light stand can be a great way to start learning lighting for photography. Learning by doing gives you solid knowledge that will stay with you. The reflector can later be used to reflect some of the first light to light the other side of the face and neck at a slightly lower level. With practice you will learn a lot from this.

If you can't get anyone to pose for you, a mannequin head and wig are cheap, but one with facial features, like a nose helps. Attach it to a light stand and practice. Try different lighting and head positions. Notice the shadows and where they fall. Notice the excessively bright spots and learn to position the light(s) to get the result that you are looking for.

For a little more money you can buy a 1/2 mannequin. Place it on a stool or stand and practice away.

I ended up buying a full standing flesh colored mannequin from Amazon, because my wife lasted 5 minutes posing for me and wouldn't come back. At the time, this mannequin was the cheapest that they had that size. She is plastic, made by Yaheetech, and quite real looking. She has glass eyes, so the catchlights of my flash show well in them. Her hair came from the Halloween section of Walmart and clothes from the local thrift stores. For about $110 total, I have a full standing dressed mannequin that never complains about "too long holding poses", she never takes breaks, and is amazingly beautiful in my photos whenever I want to try a new lighting idea. I could have bought a male mannequin, but she is much nicer to look at. She is not as good as a human though, because she is non-bending, although her head rotates, waist turns, and arms move forward and back, but no facial expressions except for the one that she came with. But she has been "The perfect model" for my photography lighting experiments. She lives in my equipment closet, and I put her to work whenever I want to try out new lighting ideas and no one is here or willing to pose for me.

Charley

Aug 18, 2021 at 11:51 PM
c.d.embrey
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Best introduction to artificial light photography

Paintings are a great way to learn lighting.

As always gear has nothing to do with lighting. Learning to use a shoot through umbrella doesn't mean jack in the real world. Vermeer did NOT use off camera flash

Aug 19, 2021 at 12:08 AM
Tony Ross
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Best introduction to artificial light photography

There is always the gospel:

https://www.amazon.com/Light-Science-Magic-Introduction-Photographic/dp/0367860279/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Light+science+and+magic&qid=1629356805&s=books&sr=1-1

I think my copy was the 2007 version. Still very good, but now there is a 2021 version (and several others in between!)

Strongly recommended, especially for its discussions of how to handle difficult scenarios (like photographing reflective surfaces)

Aug 19, 2021 at 02:11 AM
Neurad1
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Best introduction to artificial light photography

Thanks. I'll start here. Pretty pricey though for a softcover book!

Aug 19, 2021 at 08:22 AM
Ryukyu
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Best introduction to artificial light photography

Actually, I would recommend that you start here.

Aug 19, 2021 at 10:46 AM
Neurad1
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Best introduction to artificial light photography

Ryukyu wrote:
Actually, I would recommend that you start here.

Looks like this site just "quit"....It's just a historical archive now. Still useful. Thanks.

Aug 19, 2021 at 11:21 AM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Best introduction to artificial light photography

c.d.embrey wrote:
Paintings are a great way to learn lighting.

As always gear has nothing to do with lighting.

Listen to the pro! I spent decades shooting crap before thinking properly about light. Paintings were key in my education, specifically the Baroque era when directional light and narrative purpose was fully developed. My inspirations are Rembrandt, Caravaggio and particularly Diego Velázquez:

Everything you need to know about light is shown in this picture. Four centuries later, single-light-source sunlight bounces around the set in the identical way.

Ref:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caravaggio
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rembrandt
Diego Velázquez (Wikipedia)

Aug 19, 2021 at 04:49 PM
kaplah
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Best introduction to artificial light photography

Neurad1 wrote:
Looks like this site just "quit"....It's just a historical archive now. Still useful. Thanks.

Not at all. Hobby is adding content to the "Lighting Cookbook" every few weeks. Edit: it's quite possible that he's stopped adding LC content and just hasn't told me. Until a few weeks ago I would have been confident - I may ask.

What you do is start with https://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/03/lighting-101.html , then 102, then 103, then review the Lighting Cookbook entries. 101 / 102 / 103 are structured as a course with exercises.

Even if it was an "archive", it is the best online source for learning lighting. After this, you can dig into Light Science Magic as others have posted.

Aug 20, 2021 at 07:53 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Best introduction to artificial light photography

One of the lighting assignments I remember from my years at Art Center was to pick a famous painting by one of the European masters and try and re-create that photographically. So that ended up being far more than just lighting. It was casting the right person, choosing the correct wardrobe and props, and for me, even building a wooden bench that matched the one in the reference painting.

During the course of completing the assignment, I really started to look at the type and quality of the lighting in the paintings but also just as important, the color of the light in the highlights, mid tones and shadows. That was the real revelation - to see just how much color the master painters actually put into especially the shadows. And we have no idea if they were just painting what they were seeing or interpreting what they saw or perhaps a combination of both. Anyhow, it changed forever how I looked at light and color in photos.

Aug 21, 2021 at 07:06 AM
c.d.embrey
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Best introduction to artificial light photography

How do you handle reflections. Angle of incidence equals angle of reflectance. Simple physics you can learn for free.

http://www.scienceclassonline.co.uk/BTEC/reflection.png

Aug 22, 2021 at 02:01 PM
bjhurley
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Best introduction to artificial light photography

Neurad1 wrote:
To date all of my photography has employed natural light. I would like to begin learning about use of artificial light and would appreciate recommendations of books, websites, or youtube videos that would best get me started on this path.

In addition to all the good recommendations so far, here's another: I recently took a 15-hour online workshop on natural light and potrait photography from Adolfo Rozenfeld, one of the finest non-studio portrait photographers working today. He's doing a follow-up workshop later this year on artificial lighting, probably October, that would be worth considering. Just check out his Instagram or Flickr feed for announcements; he typically announces upcoming workshops on Instagram first and later Flickr. He's a fantastic teacher; even though a 15-hour course barely scratches the surface I learned a ton and I'm sure his workshop on artificial lighting will be equally good. You want the international workshop, which is conducted in English (the local ones are in Spanish; he's based in Buenos Aires).

He mainly uses artificial lighting to supplement natural lighting; he mostly does portraits in people's own homes or in bars or restaurants; some street portraits. They look very impromptu and candid, but most of them entailed hours of pre-production and planning.

Aug 23, 2021 at 10:58 AM
rek101
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Best introduction to artificial light photography

I think you have to decide what you're trying to accomplish. If you're outdoors and want to learn how to use fill flash or work on location with Speedlight's to fill in shadows, I think these is mostly about gaining technical understanding of your equipment. For that, any google search and videos you find will do.

I think if you're moving into studio lighting and you want to understand the technical side, I like the Zach Arias videos such as this one.

If you're going to be a studio or location and you want to understand how to use light to create a mood or flatter your subject, at that point, I think you're talking about learning a few skills such as posing the model, communicating to create the right expression, analyzing a face to know what angles and lighting setups might work. I would think if you understand how to do those things pretty well under natural light, doing it under artificial lighting would be as simple as buying a stobe, a softbox, and a stand and practicing.

I would avoid strobist even though everyone seems to like it for no other reason than I felt I learned a lot more from other resources like the Zach Arias stuff. I'd also skip the shoot through umbrellas and speedlights they suggest and go strait to a 4'+ brolly box and strobe or 4' foot softbox and strobe. The cost is not much higher and you learn more and learn more quickly.

Aug 23, 2021 at 09:41 PM
story_teller
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Best introduction to artificial light photography

Just understand that using flash and/or strobes is a journey, not a destination. You will be continually learning how to create and control the look of images, not simply capturing them. Light has 4 basic characteristics - quality, quantity, color and direction. Learning how those characteristics can be used is one of the basics you will need to be successful and their mastery will teach you more about natural light photography as well. Light is also governed by a couple important laws of physics (as mentioned in an earlier post) - Angle of Incidence and the Inverse Square Law. Understand these so you can properly apply them when necessary.

Once you have an understanding of the above, analyzing paintings and photos to see the effect of quality, quantity, color and direction of the light will make much more sense. Here's one article to start with -
https://www.lightstalking.com/4-basic-characteristics-light-every-photographer-know/

Good luck on your journey!

Aug 24, 2021 at 08:36 AM
CharleyL
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Best introduction to artificial light photography

@Neurad1,

For low cost training, the Strobist information is a very good place to start and it's free on the internet.
A Google search will find it for you.

Before buying flash equipment, look at the variety that is available and choose carefully with the thought of expanding your equipment collection as you continue your learning. Learn what will and will not work together. In this decision you will learn that sticking with one brand is very likely going to be best for you. There is no communication standard for camera to lighting controls, other than the trigger signal in the hot shoe, which has always been the center pin in everything that I have ever experienced using. Each brand has their own system for everything else, so buying multiple brands of speedlites or studio strobes almost always results in problems with communication between brands of equipment. The cheapest wireless controls only fire the flash, and work on frequencies, which aren't even legal for this use in the USA. With multiple manually controlled speedlites, running around between them to make minor adjustments becomes a nightmare quickly, so I strongly recommend that you learn what is available in wireless control and make your choice based on this. The more lights you end up buying, the more important making the right choice now will be.

I recently (3 years ago) began replacing all of my studio strobes and speedlites as quickly as my budget allowed, gradually going with Godox, because of their X communication system and the fact that they operate in the WIFI frequencies, which are legal for this use in the US. The WIFI bands have many channels, and equipment made for use on them can automatically find unused channels and switch to an unused one of them seamlessly. The Godox system also has an identity code, that prevents even another photographer with equipment operating on the same channel as you from firing your lights. Interference from other sources doesn't seem to exist on the WIFI bands either. I have never had a misfire from equipment failure or interference since switching to the Godox X system.

The Godox X2T transmitter has a hot shoe on it's top that is a pass-thru from the camera hot shoe, so if you are converting systems, like I did, you can stack your old transmitter on top of it and use both systems to fire your lights, while making the brand and system transition.

I am now fully converted to the Godox X system, both with my studio strobes and my speedlites. I also have Godox X Pro transmitters for all of my cameras and the X2T is now my spare. The Godox lights and communication system are reasonably priced, work extremely well together, and haven't failed me. They have proven to be very reliable. Godox makes several versions of X System receivers for allowing you to use other major brands of speedlites and studio strobes with their X Communication System, but at a price of $40-50 each for them. You would need one of these for each strobe or speedlite that isn't a Godox for it to be able to receive the signals from the Godox X transmitter on your camera. These receivers are different for each brand of flash that you will be using with your Godox transmitter too. They have a hot shoe that you slide your other brand of speedlite into. This receiver converts the signals sent from the X system camera transmitter into the signals needed to control and adjust your off brand speedlite.

This was a bit mind boggling for me when doing this research. I talked to other photographers about what they were using, and read a lot on the subject. Before you decide to invest in flash equipment, look at all of the options. More were using Godox than anything else. Don't invest until you fully understand what will and won't work together with your choices.

At some point you are going to want soft boxes, umbrellas, and other GOBOs. When switching to Godox, I already had many GOBOs of many brands. The Bowens mount surfaced as an easy to use method of attaching these to my studio and speedlites, so I bought some conversion adapters for some of what I already had, and made certain that everything new that I purchased also had the Bowens mount capability. I purchased Bowens adapters for my speedlites, so I can even use my studio soft boxes with my speedlites now. Everything fits everything now, and it has all become super convenient for me. This is something to look into when making decisions in your choices for lighting and GOBOs (a GOBO is a photographer word for any kind of light modifier).

This YouTube video should help you see what can be done with one speedlite and reflectors (Walmart foam core).

Charley

Aug 24, 2021 at 11:56 AM
CharleyL
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Best introduction to artificial light photography

This certainly isn't the best or easiest way to light a portrait, but it sure shows what can be done with just one light, if you want to work at it. It does show what can be done with foam core board reflectors though. The expensive ones aren't really needed.

Charley

Aug 25, 2021 at 04:05 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Best introduction to artificial light photography

Photographer lighting life cycle: 1 light → 3 lights → 12 lights → 1 light.

Aug 25, 2021 at 08:28 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Best introduction to artificial light photography

Light: Science and Magic seems excellent.

Start bouncing your flash off white stuff especially. Get it off camera, I have a cord some may be able to out of the box

Aug 27, 2021 at 11:13 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.