Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
5
       6       end
  

Pre-order: Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG DN OS Sports

  
 
flash
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Pre-order: Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG DN OS Sports


I have my copy in L mount, so I wonít discuss AFC (I havenít tried it yet). Single shot AF is faster than I expected. As good as the Leica zooms, at least. Also very good single shot AF with the 1.4x (not available in E mount). Really good for an 840mm lens.

Wide open sharpness is good but not stellar. Slightly better when wider. Similar to the Sigma 100-400. Maybe a touch better. At F8 it sharpens up nicely and probably peaks around 9.5-11. I donít have the 200-600 to compare (in Sony) but I do have the 100-400 (and older A mount 70-400) in Sony, which Iíve shot extensively. I also havenít done direct side by side comparisons, so these are impressions. The 150-600 feel *slightly* less sharp than the Sony 100-400 wide open, at the long end but noticeably better than the 100-400 with the Sony 1.4x.

At f8 I doubt I could tell any difference between them (150-600 and Sony 100-400). Wide open blur is pretty nice. Limited by aperture but not horrid.

Itís not as good in any way as the Leica 90-280, which is optically outstanding (a bag of primes, basically) and Iíll choose the Leica up to 280mm every time. But itís the only long option in L mount, for now and itís not terrible. I think Iíll mostly be using it at F8, if possible where I think a 24Ē print will achievable with this lens.

Weíre in limited lock down ATM so travel is restricted. Having said that I hope to get it on a gimbal next week and put it through itís paces properly. So far Iíve been resting it on the back fence. But initial impressions are itíll make an excellent lens for travelling or the non-specialist sports/wildlife shooters. Same places I used to take the Sony 100-400 and a 1.4x.

Gordon



Sep 15, 2021 at 04:44 PM
ajamils
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Pre-order: Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG DN OS Sports


Fboss wrote:
A few short positive reviews here = https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1655503-REG/sigma_747965_150_600mm_sony.html/reviews

And another recent full review : https://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/sigma_150_600mm_f5_6_3_dg_dn_os_sports_review
"The full frame at 600mm; At both the the centre and the edges of the image, sharpness is a little soft at the maximum aperture, sharpening up at f/8. It maintains that level of sharpness until f/22, where it remains excellent but is ever-so-slightly softer due to diffraction. "

Still not sure if I get this one, or the Sony 200-600mm.


Thanks for the link. A very positive review from them.

Having previously used 200-600, I welcome the smaller stowed size as it would be easier to carry in more bags. Also, it is black which is another good thing compared to Sony that just attracts too much attention.

I ended up ordering the lens so will see how it goes.



Sep 15, 2021 at 06:03 PM
figo007
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Pre-order: Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG DN OS Sports


Looks like a promising lens from Sigma again.



From the above video, still not sure if the 1.4 or 2.0 tc able to support on Sony E-mount. If it does, one more valid point to get this lens.



Sep 16, 2021 at 10:14 PM
ajamils
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · Pre-order: Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG DN OS Sports


figo007 wrote:
From the above video, still not sure if the 1.4 or 2.0 tc able to support on Sony E-mount. If it does, one more valid point to get this lens.


Sony TC do not work with it at all. Toby mentioned it in his youtube review that when he mounted the 1.4x TC, the lens becomes dead. Not even manual focus works.



Sep 16, 2021 at 11:00 PM
Fboss
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · Pre-order: Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG DN OS Sports


Some pictures here: https://www.flickr.com/groups/sigma-150-600mm-dg-dn-os-sports/

I still haven't seen some great full resolution pictures, as for the 200-600mm.

@ajamils, it will be interesting to read what you think about the Sigma, since you used the 200-600mm.



Sep 17, 2021 at 03:33 PM
Fboss
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · Pre-order: Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG DN OS Sports


@ajamils, have you received your lens and did you get a chance to take a few pictures with it ?


Sep 24, 2021 at 09:58 AM
ajamils
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · Pre-order: Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG DN OS Sports


Fboss wrote:
@ajamils@, have you received your lens and did you get a chance to take a few pictures with it ?


Yes, I received the lens but haven't had a chance to use it much yet. Took it short outing and first impressions are positive. I can definitely feel the difference in handling with Sigma being shorter compared to Sony (my primary reason for buying it instead of Sony again). AF seems to be on point and with A1, it works great. Looks on to the subject and doesn't let go even when there is something in front of it. See the sequence with snipe where grass blade from the duck blind was in the way.

I've uploaded few pictures . here. Nothing spectacular but this was first outing with this lens and second with A1. Really like jpeg colors.



Sep 25, 2021 at 02:09 PM
Fboss
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · Pre-order: Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG DN OS Sports


Thanks, that looks good so far. The size of the Sony is a big motivation to get the Sigma.


Sep 25, 2021 at 08:03 PM
IndyFab
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · Pre-order: Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG DN OS Sports


ajamils wrote:
Sony TC do not work with it at all. Toby mentioned it in his youtube review that when he mounted the 1.4x TC, the lens becomes dead. Not even manual focus works.


I have a Canon mount I use on a Sony, and I can confirm, no go with TC



Sep 25, 2021 at 08:47 PM
flash
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · Pre-order: Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG DN OS Sports


IndyFab wrote:
I have a Canon mount I use on a Sony, and I can confirm, no go with TC


No you donít. The lens here, is a new model available in E and L mount only. Yours is an older DSLR lens, if it has a Canon mount.

Gordon




Oct 16, 2021 at 03:16 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

IndyFab
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · Pre-order: Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG DN OS Sports


flash wrote:
No you donít. The lens here, is a new model available in E and L mount only. Yours is an older DSLR lens, if it has a Canon mount.

Gordon



Never said I have the new Sig for Sony, you need to read a little slower lol

What I said was "I have a Canon mount I use on a Sony, and I can confirm, no go with TC"

Now if the new Sig for Sony mount will allow use of a TC that would be great!!




Oct 16, 2021 at 06:28 PM
molson
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · Pre-order: Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG DN OS Sports


Now I just have to decide which TC to buy - do I need the Sigma TC1411, or will it work with the Panasonic S TC?




  DC-S1    150-600mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS | Sports 021 lens    600mm    f/6.3    1/250s    1600 ISO    0.0 EV  






  DC-S1    150-600mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS | Sports 021 lens    600mm    f/6.3    1/250s    2000 ISO    0.0 EV  






  DC-S1    150-600mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS | Sports 021 lens    600mm    f/6.3    1/250s    2000 ISO    0.0 EV  




Oct 16, 2021 at 07:57 PM
flash
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · Pre-order: Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG DN OS Sports


IndyFab wrote:
Never said I have the new Sig for Sony, you need to read a little slower lol

What I said was "I have a Canon mount I use on a Sony, and I can confirm, no go with TC"

Now if the new Sig for Sony mount will allow use of a TC that would be great!!



HmmmmÖ. This thread is about the Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG DN OS Sports. Thatís whatís listed in the title. You said, ďI have a Canon mount I use on a SonyĒ. The Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG DN OS Sports, isnít made in a Canon mount. The lens you have is a different size and weight, with a different optical design and physical appearance. It has zero relationship to the lens in the title. So, no, you donít. The information about your lens and TC compatibility with the Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG DN OS Sports is irrelevant for the purposes of whether a TC of any type or brand is compatible with the Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG DN OS Sports.

Gordon



Oct 16, 2021 at 09:33 PM
IndyFab
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · Pre-order: Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG DN OS Sports


flash wrote:
HmmmmÖ. This thread is about the Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG DN OS Sports. Thatís whatís listed in the title. You said, ďI have a Canon mount I use on a SonyĒ. The Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG DN OS Sports, isnít made in a Canon mount. The lens you have is a different size and weight, with a different optical design and physical appearance. It has zero relationship to the lens in the title. So, no, you donít. The information about your lens and TC compatibility with the Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG DN OS Sports is irrelevant for the purposes of
...Show more

What another poster said, and has been my experience as well.... "the Sony lens you can use teleconverters to get a bit closer, whereas, currently, no third-party E-mount lens can work with teleconverters as that's one thing Sony won't license/permit to third party manufacturers so far"

Like I said, it would be great if the new Sigma 150-600 made for Sony mount would take a TC, but I believe the issue is with Sony, and not the new Sigma 150-600 for Sony mount .....

I have no further desire to debate this with you.

You can always call your Sigma Rep to get a definitive answer if your so inclined.



Oct 17, 2021 at 10:45 AM
galenapass
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · Pre-order: Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG DN OS Sports


IndyFab wrote:
What another poster said, and has been my experience as well.... "the Sony lens you can use teleconverters to get a bit closer, whereas, currently, no third-party E-mount lens can work with teleconverters as that's one thing Sony won't license/permit to third party manufacturers so far"

Like I said, it would be great if the new Sigma 150-600 made for Sony mount would take a TC, but I believe the issue is with Sony, and not the new Sigma 150-600 for Sony mount .....

I have no further desire to debate this with you.

You can always call your Sigma Rep
...Show more

I think Gordon is just pointing out that your experience with a different lens may or may not be relevant to the current discussion. I was a reasonable point IMO.



Oct 17, 2021 at 10:55 AM
IndyFab
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · Pre-order: Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG DN OS Sports


galenapass wrote:
I think Gordon is just pointing out that your experience with a different lens may or may not be relevant to the current discussion. I was a reasonable point IMO.


It's releavant because no third-party E-mount lens can work with teleconverters up to now from my personal experience, as that's one thing Sony won't license/permit to third party manufacturers so far.... BTW thats the point of my initial post, as I was aware of that, or I would of never responded to this thread.

Now if Sony granted permission for this new sig mount for Sony, that would be great for all interested in using a TC with it.

Like I said a call to a Sig Rep will end this discussion with a definitive answer.



Oct 17, 2021 at 11:12 AM
molson
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · Pre-order: Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG DN OS Sports


Wishing I had ordered a TC along with the lens...




  DC-S1    150-600mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS | Sports 021 lens    600mm    f/6.3    1/400s    100 ISO    -1.0 EV  



Edited on Oct 18, 2021 at 03:33 PM · View previous versions



Oct 18, 2021 at 03:02 PM
molson
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #18 · p.5 #18 · Pre-order: Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG DN OS Sports







  DC-S1    150-600mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS | Sports 021 lens    600mm    f/6.3    1/320s    100 ISO    -1.0 EV  






  DC-S1    150-600mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS | Sports 021 lens    600mm    f/6.3    1/400s    100 ISO    -0.3 EV  




Oct 18, 2021 at 03:27 PM
molson
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #19 · p.5 #19 · Pre-order: Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG DN OS Sports


I ended up returning my L-mount Sigma 150-600 DG DN. While it wasn't a really bad lens, it was optically the poorest performing lens I own, so I really couldn't justify keeping it. It's unfortunate there isn't anything better out there for L-mount that doesn't require an adapter.


Nov 18, 2021 at 02:18 PM
lifeandmylens
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #20 · p.5 #20 · Pre-order: Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG DN OS Sports


molson wrote:
I ended up returning my L-mount Sigma 150-600 DG DN. While it wasn't a really bad lens, it was optically the poorest performing lens I own, so I really couldn't justify keeping it. It's unfortunate there isn't anything better out there for L-mount that doesn't require an adapter.


The pictures above look fantastic. What telephoto will you use on the L mount until something better comes along? The 90-280?



Nov 18, 2021 at 06:14 PM
1       2       3       4      
5
       6       end






FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
5
       6       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password