Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
4
       5       6       end
  

Archive 2021 · Pre-order: Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG DN OS Sports

  
 
ajamils
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Pre-order: Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG DN OS Sports


ArizonaImage wrote:
I have this on my Z6 II, and its an amazing lens.


I highly doubt it. This is a new version of the lens which is only made for L-mount and FE-mount



Aug 10, 2021 at 02:33 PM
deiwegian
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Pre-order: Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG DN OS Sports


The Sigma L-Mount I really want is a 70-200mm f2.8 Sport DN. I have the DG version on my Nikon D500 and it is great! I am sure that a Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 DN L-Mount would be a popular high volume lens.


Aug 10, 2021 at 03:15 PM
Abuttolph
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Pre-order: Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG DN OS Sports


molson wrote:
I'm curious to see how well the lens works with teleconverters.


I would be curious about that as well. I seem to remember reading that on the Canon-mount Sigma teleconverters, they could only be used on certain parts of the focal range on at least some zoom lenses. I don't know if this was true for all of their zoom lenses or not, but I certainly thought it was crippling.



Aug 10, 2021 at 06:01 PM
ArizonaImage
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Pre-order: Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG DN OS Sports


ajamils wrote:
I highly doubt it. This is a new version of the lens which is only made for L-mount and FE-mount


Adapted FTZ.



Aug 10, 2021 at 07:15 PM
ajamils
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Pre-order: Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG DN OS Sports


FTZ allows to adopt Nikon lenses not FE or L-mount. I'm sure he is referring to the older DSLR version of the lens.

ArizonaImage wrote:
Adapted FTZ.




Aug 11, 2021 at 12:18 AM
Jeffrey Myers
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Pre-order: Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG DN OS Sports


Anyone have insight into when they will come out with a Canon RF mount version? Trying to decide whether to purchase the EF for wait, depending on how long it will be.


Aug 11, 2021 at 05:31 AM
vdo1
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Pre-order: Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG DN OS Sports


It does squirrels, yay! My favorite subject, this lens is definitely for me.

https://www.sigma-global.com/en/magazine/m_series/sports-line-lenses/s021_150_600_5_63_impression/s021_150_600_5_63_simon_roy/



Aug 21, 2021 at 05:50 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Pre-order: Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG DN OS Sports


Now in stock at:

B&H Photo: ($1,499)
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1655503-REG/sigma_747965_150_600mm_sony.html

B&H Photo "EDU" (Must have an EDU account) ($1,349)
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1655503-STUD/sigma_747965_150_600mm_sony.html



Aug 27, 2021 at 07:48 PM
DavidBM
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Pre-order: Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG DN OS Sports


Jeffrey Myers wrote:
Anyone have insight into when they will come out with a Canon RF mount version? Trying to decide whether to purchase the EF for wait, depending on how long it will be.


Thereís reliable gossip that Canon has prevented Samyang from using their RF AF protocols. Samyang have discontinued their RF lenses as a result.

That may be Samyang specific, but itís moderately likely that it means no third party AF lenses for Canon for the forseeable future, unless specifically licensed which they show no sign of doing. Of course youíll still be able to get RF mount no communication lenses from China.



Aug 28, 2021 at 11:37 PM
indusphoto
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Pre-order: Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG DN OS Sports


There are now two adapters available to adapt E mount lenses to Nikon Z. I previously used sigma 70mm macro on nikon z with very good results. I also tested the 100-400 lens which was ok. However that was with the techart adapter. I the new adapter that is it promises more compatibility and performance. So I think that this lens should work too.

ajamils wrote:
FTZ allows to adopt Nikon lenses not FE or L-mount. I'm sure he is referring to the older DSLR version of the lens.





Aug 29, 2021 at 11:06 AM
j4nu
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Pre-order: Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG DN OS Sports


DavidBM wrote:
Thereís reliable gossip that Canon has prevented Samyang from using their RF AF protocols. Samyang have discontinued their RF lenses as a result.

That may be Samyang specific, but itís moderately likely that it means no third party AF lenses for Canon for the forseeable future, unless specifically licensed which they show no sign of doing. Of course youíll still be able to get RF mount no communication lenses from China.


Wow, wasn't aware of this happening. That's really crappy of Canon to continue this kind of policy against 3rd party lenses.
Another reason to stay in the Sony ecosystem I guess .



Aug 29, 2021 at 01:44 PM
helimat
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Pre-order: Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG DN OS Sports


Just noticed the minimum focus distance


Aug 29, 2021 at 07:03 PM
freaklikeme
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Pre-order: Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG DN OS Sports


Elusivesouls wrote:
TLDW:

In order from best to worst.
IQ:
Sony
Sigma
Tamron

Build Quality:
Sony
Sigma
Tamron

Portability:
Tamron
Sigma
Sony

AF Speed:
Sony
Sigma / Tamron

Price:
Tamron
Sigma
Sony


I like your summary, but I think IQ here is a nebulous label. It seems to be based on resolution, but there's a lot more to IQ than absolute resolution, much of which he only touches on even in his full reviews. He rarely looks at backlit performance, distortion at varied focal length and focus distances, bokeh at varied lengths and distances. His testing tells us some about the resolution of a lens, some aspects of its CA performance, and some aspects of its distortion performance at an unspecified focus distance. While Sony and Sigma run neck and neck for resolution, with one lens weaker at some focal lengths and stronger at others, the CA correction on the Sigma isn't great. Sony and Tamron are very close in their correction. The Sony and Sigma had a distortion advantage, and appear to be about equal.

Anyway, I should note I'm not trying to belittle you or Frost. I like his videos, and I feel like he does a good job of introducing me to lenses I plan to rent. He's also one of the least pretentious vloggers and doesn't try to sell you on his personality, which I appreciate, but, like with anyone else out there giving you an overview with a single copy of a lens, you have to appreciate it for what it is, and it's usually a fraction of the whole story, especially with zooms.



Aug 29, 2021 at 11:26 PM
Fboss
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Pre-order: Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG DN OS Sports


I'm thinking about getting this new Sigma.

What all the reviews I've seen so far, the optical quality seems to be very similar as the Sony 200-600
Some find a bit more sharpness on the Sony at some FLs, some others can't find a difference or even find the Sigma a bit sharper at some FLs (DustinA found the Sigma to be a bit sharper in the center at 600mm). Rendering, CA, distortion, are not an issue on any of these 2 lenses.

AF tracking seems to be very good as well for BIF and sport. This is a complicated comparison because there are many variables that can affect the performance and keeper rate. Light available, camera model and settings, subject being tracked, etc. The known limitation of the Sigma is 15fps. The 200-600 seems to actually achieve ~20fps on the A1, according to some youtubers.

My compilation of Pros for each lens:

Sigma:
- $500 less
- more compact, will fit in most bags
- better tripod collar mount (with Arca-Swiss and click when it hits the 90 degrees angle)
- starts at 150mm
- close focus
- not white (personal preference)

Sony:
- internal focus
- faster burst rate with AF (although 15fps is already good)
- compatible with the 1.4x converter
- safe choice for AF tracking and optical perfs.

Don't know if I've missed something.



Edited on Sep 01, 2021 at 09:32 AM · View previous versions



Aug 30, 2021 at 08:13 AM
j4nu
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Pre-order: Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG DN OS Sports


Fboss wrote:
I'm thinking about getting this new Sigma.

What all the reviews I've seen so far, the optical quality seems to be very similar as the Sony 200-600
Some find a bit more sharpness on the Sony at some FLs, some others can't find a difference or even find the Sigma a bit sharper at some FLs (DustinA found the Sigma to be a bit sharper in the center at 600mm). Rendering, CA, distortion, are not an issue on any of these 2 lenses.

AF tracking seems to be very good as well for BIF and sport. This is a complicated comparison because there
...Show more

AF tracking is actually the thing that is still unclear to me. Most of the reviews I've seen seem to position it close enough to Sony, but there was one or two which spefically mention that it's visibly inferior when tracking fast action. The latter would match my experience when it comes to DN lenses with stepper motors and I think that's the main usage of such a lens...
I really don't know who to believe on this.



Aug 30, 2021 at 08:48 AM
Fboss
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Pre-order: Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG DN OS Sports



He talks about the AF tracking, seems to be quite good.



Sep 01, 2021 at 09:31 AM
j4nu
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Pre-order: Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG DN OS Sports


Fboss wrote:


He talks about the AF tracking, seems to be quite good.


Hmm, indeed looks very good in this video. He even mentions Sigma 100-400 lags a bit behind, so maybe Sigma did improve AF in 150-600...



Sep 01, 2021 at 09:59 AM
ajamils
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · Pre-order: Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG DN OS Sports


Anybody got the lens yet? If so, any feedback?


Sep 14, 2021 at 07:54 PM
Fboss
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · Pre-order: Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG DN OS Sports


A few short positive reviews here = https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1655503-REG/sigma_747965_150_600mm_sony.html/reviews

And another recent full review : https://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/sigma_150_600mm_f5_6_3_dg_dn_os_sports_review
"The full frame at 600mm; At both the the centre and the edges of the image, sharpness is a little soft at the maximum aperture, sharpening up at f/8. It maintains that level of sharpness until f/22, where it remains excellent but is ever-so-slightly softer due to diffraction. "

Still not sure if I get this one, or the Sony 200-600mm.



Sep 15, 2021 at 01:50 PM
j4nu
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · Pre-order: Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG DN OS Sports


Fboss wrote:
A few short positive reviews here = https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1655503-REG/sigma_747965_150_600mm_sony.html/reviews

And another recent full review : https://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/sigma_150_600mm_f5_6_3_dg_dn_os_sports_review
"The full frame at 600mm; At both the the centre and the edges of the image, sharpness is a little soft at the maximum aperture, sharpening up at f/8. It maintains that level of sharpness until f/22, where it remains excellent but is ever-so-slightly softer due to diffraction. "

Still not sure if I get this one, or the Sony 200-600mm.


Sorry, this is a bit off-topic, but photographyblog lost all credibility to me after their Sigma 85DN review:
https://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/sigma_85mm_f1_4_dg_dn_art_review/conclusion

There's little evidence of chromatic aberrations and virtually no distortion...



Back to the topic, I'm also wondering what is the best choice, especially considering they are nearly the same price around here now.

Edit: Even in this review of the Sigma I think I see some strange fringing (lateral?) on the window (center) at nearly all focal legths...



Sep 15, 2021 at 02:01 PM
1       2       3      
4
       5       6       end




FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
4
       5       6       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password



This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.