Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Whats is the your go to gear

Whatever’s needed to get the job done

Jul 28, 2021 at 06:46 AM
story_teller
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Whats is the your go to gear

Well, If I'm like scuba diving or something, I kinda like have a tank with some air in it and, like, have a regulator and stuff and some fins and goggles and a weight belt and stuff.

It's like, different gear if I go skydiving. You want me to put all that stuff into a list or something?
---------------------
Seriously, the quality of the answers you receive will depend on the quality of the question you ask. There are a lot of knowledgeable people on this forum who take time to help others. Please do your own homework first and then ask better questions, so you can get better answers.

By including things such as why the list is important to you, what type of photography you're interested in, on location or studio, amateur or pro requirements, etc. you'll get more valuable responses.

Just re-submit your question with specifics and I'm sure you'll get some useful data.

Jul 28, 2021 at 07:58 AM
tcphoto
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Whats is the your go to gear

I may not have a lot of gear but I can shoot just about anything within my skill set. I can also rent a specialty item locally if needed. It's important to know that it's not what you have, it's knowing how to use it.

Jul 28, 2021 at 09:07 AM
leethecam
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Whats is the your go to gear

It's not a difficult question...

Profoto D1's for the studio and B1's for location work.
Elinchrom Deep Octa 80/100cm softbox for softer light
Profoto / Westcott Rapid for my beauty dishes, depending on the look I want.
Canon 580 speedlights for ETTL and Godox speedlights for manual/radio control (triggered by X2 trigger).
Sekonic DR758 meter, connected wirelessly via Pocket Wizard remote

Jul 28, 2021 at 02:23 PM
JohnSil
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Whats is the your go to gear

story_teller wrote:
Seriously, the quality of the answers you receive will depend on the quality of the question you ask. There are a lot of knowledgeable people on this forum who take time to help others.

I thought the question was about as clear ans simple as it gets.
Then I read your answer and thought I must have looked at the wrong OP!
Nope. still the same CLEAR inquiry!!!
John

Jul 31, 2021 at 05:12 PM
JohnSil
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Whats is the your go to gear

My go-to gear that is almost always in my bag is two bodies, two lenses, a flash and two triggers along with a small assortment of batteries and filters, mostly Canon.
Cameras; 5Ds, 1Dxll
Lenses; ef 24-70 2.8 ll, ef 85 1.2 ll
2 st-e3-rt triggers, 1 600 rt flash and 1 light meter.
When I shoot sports I swap the 85 for a 70-200 2.8ll
If I need a tripod it's usually the lightweight Gitzo 1542T(travel tripod)

With that equipment I can shoot anything from the Olympic 100m finish in the pouring rain to Paris Fashion Week and everything in between!!!
John

Aug 01, 2021 at 01:34 AM
story_teller
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Whats is the your go to gear

JohnSil wrote:
I thought the question was about as clear ans simple as it gets.
Then I read your answer and thought I must have looked at the wrong OP!
Nope. still the same CLEAR inquiry!!!
John

In that case, I actually did answer the OP's question in the first part of my response. It was never specified the subject was photographic gear. You assumed that. I was trying to make a point, which you seemed to ignore. Better questions result in better answers. I didn't see any point or value in the question. Obviously, you did and answered it. We simply have differences in how we value our time and help others.

Larry

Aug 01, 2021 at 06:43 AM
leethecam
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Whats is the your go to gear

story_teller wrote:
In that case, I actually did answer the OP's question in the first part of my response. It was never specified the subject was photographic gear. You assumed that. I was trying to make a point, which you seemed to ignore. Better questions result in better answers. I didn't see any point or value in the question. Obviously, you did and answered it. We simply have differences in how we value our time and help others.

Larry

Hold on... This is a photographic forum and we're in the lighting section... But you aren't sure the question was about photographic lighting kit...?

Aug 01, 2021 at 03:57 PM
Paul_K
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Whats is the your go to gear

On location (although I rarely use it) : Metz 60CT4 for sheer power, Nikon SB910's for HSS flash

Studio :
(my preferred choice) a dozen of Hensel halogen lamps I can use with my Bowens S light modifiers although I refitted several them with 300W bulbs instead of the 'standard' 1000/1250 W.

If I really have to resort to flash I have 4 Bowens XMS 750Ws units, like them for the fast recycle times (about as fast as a Profoto D1, but a lot less expensive)

Aug 01, 2021 at 04:32 PM
JohnSil
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Whats is the your go to gear

leethecam wrote:
Hold on... This is a photographic forum and we're in the lighting section... But you aren't sure the question was about photographic lighting kit...?

, Larry, don't feel bad StoryTeller confused the heck out of me too!!!
John

Aug 02, 2021 at 12:04 AM
story_teller
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Whats is the your go to gear

JohnSil wrote:
, Larry, don't feel bad StoryTeller confused the heck out of me too!!!
John

John, sorry to confuse you further, but Larry and Story_teller are the same person. (lol)

Guys, maybe I can clear up the confusion or possibly add to it, who knows? I normally try to get to the point quickly and usually I'm fairly direct in my posts. I also like to do things that have a purpose. In this case, the OP was asking a vague, general question. "What's your go to gear?"

With different types of photography, the gear will vary significantly, so what's the value of asking the question and getting multiple equipment lists that have little to no correlation. The macro photographer won't use much of the same gear as the photographer going after birds in flight. Portrait photographers have different gear as do fashion, sports, product photography, architectural, etc. Everyone posts their gear list and then what? What's the point of the question?

My apologies to the OP for probably going overboard on the parody, but the point is still valid. More specific questions get better answers.

Aug 02, 2021 at 06:36 AM
Oscarsmadness
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Whats is the your go to gear

speedlights. seriously. you can get a lot of work done with speedlights. I have other stuff too, but the speedlights, an umbrella, and DIY modifiers usually come out first.

Aug 04, 2021 at 11:32 PM
jjasef
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Whats is the your go to gear

Pentax 645Z and the 55mm f/2.8 lens that I use almost 90% of the time with it. 3 Godox AD200s metered with a my Minolta IV flash meter, a 45" Softlighter and gridded/snoot MagMods on Mathews MERF stands and I'm set practically for my most of my portraits.

And oh, my homemade boom arm using a boom pole + grip head on a rolling base is a nice luxury.

Aug 06, 2021 at 03:24 AM
sungphoto
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Whats is the your go to gear

Generally, for most commercial jobs I bring a minimum of:

2-3x 7" reflectors
2x reflector grids
2x photek 46" softlighters
1x 7 ft Westcott silver umbrella with diffusion
6x6 scrim with 1/2 stop diffusion, plus 2 c-stands
2 flags and 2 white bounce boards
4x standard "tripod style" light stands (I prefer Avenger)
2-3x turtle base c-stands and grip arms (Avenger)
1 roller stand (Matthews)
1 Avenger D600 boom
Background stand kit
several sand bags
24" westcott beauty dish, with grid
39" Elinchrom rotalux deep octa, with grid
2x 1x3ft strip boxes
36" and 55" parabolic softbox
6 strobes

Aug 21, 2021 at 03:09 PM
Panorascal
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Whats is the your go to gear

2 of everything.

Aug 22, 2021 at 08:35 PM
c.d.embrey
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Whats is the your go to gear

LuxuryTouch wrote:
Hii
i was wondering what is your go to list gear list

Always use the right tool for the job! Different jobs require different tools—therefore there can't be a single go to list.

Aug 22, 2021 at 11:35 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.