Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2021 · My FV200 review from a headshot photographers view.

themb3life
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · My FV200 review from a headshot photographers view.

I have been fascinated with the idea of the FV series being the hybrid LED and strobe for my headshot business. I am having a fairly successful year for my standards and was looking add to my lighting system. Currently I use the AD200’s for my Key & Fill with a MS300 in a strip for hair. MOST headshot sessions I am shooting F 7.1 1/160 ISO 100. AD200 at 1/16 +.3 on key.

I LOVE using the modeling light on the ADB2/AD200 but it does kill the battery so I created a custom rig with a LED 100W bulb on a bracket inside the softbox. I wanted something more professional. I am not at the revenue level that I can add 2-3 AD400 PROS with ac adapters. I did consider going to the PCB digibee 800/400 system but their triggers suck as of now for Canon. For 80% of my shoots I don’t need a battery based system, I wish the AD200 had a power cord option like the Westcott FJ200.

So I grabbed the Flashpoint FV200 on sale for $350 to test out. I figured worst case scenario, it could be a great fill light in the lower strip when I get to the AD400/600 budget. I have read several comments on here about the flash power just not being strong enough but this is MY findings.

I did a series of test shots last night using a 25in BD, a 36in SB and a 65in umbrella.

25in BD: At 1/1 power, MORE than enough flash power at the above mentioned settings. I didn’t shoot much with the BD but I was way over exposed when I tethered.

36in SB, again at 1/1. Placed 3ft infront of me, I ran shots F5.6-6.3 1/160, I found that I get great results going to ISO160/200. Now in this rig, I used a 16x48 curved strip with the AD200 at 1/32 for fill and it was a perfect balance.

In the 65in, Placed at 7ft away, I shot at F2.8 1/160 ISO 200 I was getting great light. I have a newborn shoot coming up in 3-4 weeks and those can be 2-3-4 hrs depending on the baby so being able to stayed plugged in and not worry about the battery is awesome.

Now for the modeling light when in flash setting. Holy damn, is that bright. I found that 20% was really ideal and plenty bright. I tried 50% and I saw white dots!

So then I took some test shots with just the LED on at 50% in the 65in and needed to lower the shutter to 1/125 but everything else the same, was fine. I am not on the constant light for headshots bandwagon so not sure I would use that but as a fill light for more natural light shots, I see it working GREAT.

NOW LET ME BE CLEAR. This is not a replacement for an AD400/600 or even an AD200 but for someone who wants a powered strobe, with a great modeling light and enough power to do headshots, newborn photography, and food photography, I think this is a GOOD choice but not great choice. At $350, I feel it’s a good value for MY needs.

If my results are what I am hoping for with the newborn shoot, I will add a 2nd one for my fill light. On more artistic shoots I will use them as side lights with the dual AD200’s as my main.

I hope this adds some value to the forum.

Jul 22, 2021 at 03:13 PM
jjasef
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · My FV200 review from a headshot photographers view.

Would've loved to also just see your results/examples/findings

Aug 06, 2021 at 03:32 AM
bobby350z
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · My FV200 review from a headshot photographers view.

What's the issue with AB triggers? Personally PW would work like a charm and now a days are $50 or so a pop used.

Aug 09, 2021 at 10:11 PM
themb3life
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · My FV200 review from a headshot photographers view.

Are you talking about the PCB triggers? If yes, that CyberCommander needs a damn Harvard degree to learn! Their HUB isn’t out for Canon yet.

OT: I ended up returning the FV200 as 10-12 days later the AD400Pro went on $200 off sale so for the extra $100 difference I got what I really wanted to start. I may still add a FV150 as the fill light if they come on sale again.

bobby350z wrote:
What's the issue with AB triggers? Personally PW would work like a charm and now a days are $50 or so a pop used.

Aug 10, 2021 at 06:40 AM
bobby350z
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · My FV200 review from a headshot photographers view.

themb3life wrote:
Are you talking about the PCB triggers? If yes, that CyberCommander needs a damn Harvard degree to learn! Their HUB isn’t out for Canon yet.

OT: I ended up returning the FV200 as 10-12 days later the AD400Pro went on $200 off sale so for the extra $100 difference I got what I really wanted to start. I may still add a FV150 as the fill light if they come on sale again.

I had CC, it could do a lot but agree, is very hard to use. I was talking mainly about AB cybersync triggers, they are easy to use. But PW Plus II are so much easier for manual shooting.

Aug 10, 2021 at 09:33 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.