New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Kase clip-in filters

grog13
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Kase clip-in filters

Anyone used the Kase clip-in rear filters? (Thinking of the ones that clip in to the body over the sensor, not to the rear of the lens.) Any impressions?

Jul 21, 2021 at 07:55 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Kase clip-in filters

they are only as good and safe as the person installing them

Jul 21, 2021 at 08:14 AM
cseelye
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Kase clip-in filters

I use a Kase clip in uv filter on my Z7 II. It's been on it for several months. My purpose is to protect the sensor during lens changes in the field. So far, so good. Much easier to remove the filter for cleaning rather than clean the sensor. I haven't had to so much as blow the sensor off since installing the filter.
I'm pleased enough with it that I will be purchasing an ND set of clip ins, and most likely the neutral night sky filter.
I especially like that clip ins are tiny to carry, easy to install and remove and most importantly, one filter for all my lenses with no need for step up rings.
-Chris

Jul 21, 2021 at 08:22 AM
grog13
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Kase clip-in filters

My interest in them is not for sensor protection but for lens-independent ND filtering, so I'd be changing them frequently in the field. Thus I'd be exposing my sensor much more than would otherwise be the case. Don't really like that aspect of it, but not terribly afraid of it, either, if the filters work well. Wondering if the filter position has any effect on its function with regard to reflections, sharpness, etc.

Jul 21, 2021 at 09:56 AM
Melancholia
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Kase clip-in filters

My guess is zero effect on sharpness. This is based on my inability to discern sharpness differences each time I test CPLs or NDs, or even when stacking filters. Flare OTOH can be seen with traditional filters. But in this case, it could be flare resistant as well. I like the idea of sensor protection but I have no issues with wet-sensor cleaning. And I'm aware sensors have a layer of glass protecting the sensitive bits. It's just easier to take the Kase out, wipe with a microfiber cloth, and drop it back in instead of wet cleaning.

When it comes to the NDs, I can foresee a slower workflow. Sometimes, I like to quickly test images with and without NDs to see if the shutter speed is appropriate. Removing the Kase in-body filter would be far slower than say, magnetic filters. Or if the camera can't focus with a 10 stop ND installed....it's easier to take it off the lens than from the body.

Jul 21, 2021 at 10:19 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

jmmaher
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Kase clip-in filters

I have a three stop version. I recently purchased it and have only done one shoot but it seems to work well.

Jul 21, 2021 at 10:28 AM
grog13
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Kase clip-in filters

Melancholia wrote:
Or if the camera can't focus with a 10 stop ND installed....it's easier to take it off the lens than from the body.

That's the big hesitation for me - usually can't frame the shot through a 10-stopper, even 6 can be difficult sometimes.

Jul 21, 2021 at 01:38 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Kase clip-in filters

very few speak of this type of filter system. as is mentioned the possibility of relatively unneeded optics removal. from my perspective the ends just don't justify the means. i rarely use a hood with my filters just a small Black/Silver 12" lite disk (folds down to approx 5.5" wgt 2.1oz) in one hand when on a tripod

i have both 82mm round and 100/150mm sqr/rect sets for the appropriate times.

just remember those back end clip-on filters are camera brand specific where the old school are pretty much agnostic except for size and i have one size and stepper rings

Jul 21, 2021 at 01:50 PM
jmmaher
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Kase clip-in filters

In addition to the internal filter I do have a 10 stop external. Under the circumstances where I might use a 10 stop filter (bright sunlight) my camera (A7R4) can focus with the ND filter in place. I might use a three or 6 stop filter to get a 1.4 or f2 f stop when using flash when I want shallow depth of field.

However there is no question these internal filter are for specialized use when you know in advance what you need for a shoot.

Jul 21, 2021 at 02:39 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password