Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2021 · B&H Deal Zone: Zeiss Batis 25mm f/2 Distagon Sony E ($999)

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · B&H Deal Zone: Zeiss Batis 25mm f/2 Distagon Sony E ($999)

B&H Deal Zone: Zeiss Batis 25mm f/2 Distagon Sony E ($999)
The Zeiss Batis 25mm f/2 Distagon for Sony E is on sale today:

B&H Photo Deal Zone ($999)

ZEISS Batis 25mm F/2 Specs

Focal Length 25mm
Maximum Aperture f/2
Minimum Aperture f/22
Lens Mount Sony E
Format Compatibility Full-Frame
Angle of View 82°
Minimum Focus Distance 7.87" / 20 cm
Maximum Magnification 0.19x
Optical Design 10 Elements in 8 Groups
Focus Type Autofocus
Image Stabilization None
Filter Size 67 mm (Front)
Dimensions (ø x L) 3.19 x 3.07" / 81 x 78 mm
Weight 11.82 oz / 335 g

Jul 12, 2021 at 02:23 PM
JVan_02
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · B&H Deal Zone: Zeiss Batis 25mm f/2 Distagon Sony E ($999)

Feel like Zeiss should license out their color wizardry at this point to the larger consumer camera market. Not even lens designs as we had with the ZA optics—just their coatings and element preferences.

Hard to think of arguments for any of the Batis line save the 85 & 135—who at this point are the undisputed top of (relatively) compact telephoto primes if looking at them from an IQ/build/features perspective. It's really hard to argue for the sorts of premium Zeiss is looking for if they don't stand out in most (and better all) areas.

Color, however, is one thing Zeiss and Voigtlander seem to retain a superior understanding of (or at least commitment to) when compared to other manufacturers. If they could license their color tech out to manufacturers more hungry for mirrorless it'd be a good day for all.

Jul 12, 2021 at 03:42 PM
Neurad1
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · B&H Deal Zone: Zeiss Batis 25mm f/2 Distagon Sony E ($999)

JVan_02 wrote:
Hard to think of arguments for any of the Batis line save the 85 & 135—

I dunno. My Batis 40 2 is my favorite 35.

Jul 12, 2021 at 08:47 PM
chiron
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · B&H Deal Zone: Zeiss Batis 25mm f/2 Distagon Sony E ($999)

JVan_02 wrote:
Feel like Zeiss should license out their color wizardry at this point to the larger consumer camera market. Not even lens designs as we had with the ZA optics—just their coatings and element preferences.

Hard to think of arguments for any of the Batis line save the 85 & 135—who at this point are the undisputed top of (relatively) compact telephoto primes if looking at them from an IQ/build/features perspective. It's really hard to argue for the sorts of premium Zeiss is looking for if they don't stand out in most (and better all) areas.

Color, however, is one thing Zeiss
...Show more
I'm very fond of my Batis 18mm, 40mm, and 85mm. They are wonderful lenses, and I say that having lots of others in my cabinet to choose from. I have held onto them for a long time, while many other lenses have been sold.

Jul 12, 2021 at 08:50 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · B&H Deal Zone: Zeiss Batis 25mm f/2 Distagon Sony E ($999)

Yep, my staple travel lenses are the Batis 25 / 85. I’ve picked up the 40 but have not really had a chance to use it. Love the contrast and colors from Batis.

Jul 12, 2021 at 08:59 PM
mudlake
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · B&H Deal Zone: Zeiss Batis 25mm f/2 Distagon Sony E ($999)

I’d rather spend an extra $50 and get a mint used Sony 24GM. A little heavier, but not as unnecessarily fat. It’s the better lens in every way.

Jul 12, 2021 at 09:59 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · B&H Deal Zone: Zeiss Batis 25mm f/2 Distagon Sony E ($999)

'Color, however, is one thing Zeiss and Voigtlander seem to retain a superior understanding of..'

I agree. It is wasted on many photographers though, because they cannot see it well. Among males of European descent, 8% or one in 12 are colour impaired, and it appears to be getting worse in modern times. I think it's the reason few reviewers ever mention the colour rendering of lenses.

81 per cent of vehicles were finished in shades of white, grey, black or silver in 2020, and just look at the ugly monochrome new housing estates. It's a terribly drab time to be alive, a time that is staunchly opposed to beauty.

Jul 12, 2021 at 10:19 PM
JVan_02
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · B&H Deal Zone: Zeiss Batis 25mm f/2 Distagon Sony E ($999)

Neurad1 wrote:
I dunno. My Batis 40 2 is my favorite 35.

chiron wrote:
I'm very fond of my Batis 18mm, 40mm, and 85mm. They are wonderful lenses, and I say that having lots of others in my cabinet to choose from. I have held onto them for a long time, while many other lenses have been sold.

To clarify, I don't mean to say the Batis line is bad—just overpriced. It's what I mean when I say it'd be hard to find an argument for a given lens. Like, hard to think of an argument for paying 2x the MSRP of the 35i for the 40 CF, even if I prefer the latter. At that price, you're within spitting distance of the 35 GM which... why not just get the best 35mm lens ever made at that point?

If these lenses were priced at around the Sigma i-series I think the conversation would be very different.

Jul 13, 2021 at 12:10 AM
Neurad1
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · B&H Deal Zone: Zeiss Batis 25mm f/2 Distagon Sony E ($999)

philip_pj wrote:
'Color, however, is one thing Zeiss and Voigtlander seem to retain a superior understanding of..'

I agree. It is wasted on many photographers though, because they cannot see it well. Among males of European descent, 8% or one in 12 are colour impaired, and it appears to be getting worse in modern times. I think it's the reason few reviewers ever mention the colour rendering of lenses.

81 per cent of vehicles were finished in shades of white, grey, black or silver in 2020, and just look at the ugly monochrome new housing estates. It's a terribly drab time to be
...Show more

And sadly, I don't think most color-impaired people realize it, though that might be a blessing in disguise.

Jul 13, 2021 at 06:40 AM
EdwardDye
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · B&H Deal Zone: Zeiss Batis 25mm f/2 Distagon Sony E ($999)

I got my 24GM Like New used below this price...

Jul 13, 2021 at 07:32 AM
Schwarzlicht
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · B&H Deal Zone: Zeiss Batis 25mm f/2 Distagon Sony E ($999)

JVan_02 wrote:
To clarify, I don't mean to say the Batis line is bad—just overpriced. It's what I mean when I say it'd be hard to find an argument for a given lens. Like, hard to think of an argument for paying 2x the MSRP of the 35i for the 40 CF, even if I prefer the latter. At that price, you're within spitting distance of the 35 GM which... why not just get the best 35mm lens ever made at that point?

If these lenses were priced at around the Sigma i-series I think the conversation would be very different.

When asked whether you should buy 40 Batis or 35 GM, someone wrote that it is best to own both lenses. These lenses are just too different. I can agree with that. I own the 85 GM and the 85 Batis. I don't want to do without either of the two lenses. The 85 GM is used when uncompromising bokeh is in the foreground. For everything else, I prefer the Batis. For landscape and architecture in particular, I prefer the Batis, although the GM has a slightly higher resolution when stopped down. Color output and contrasts are much better for me with the Batis lenses. In my opinion, the king of contrasts and colors is the Batis 40/2. In addition, there is a very good image scale and very good processing. The Batis lenses have the best sealing in the Sony universe and I would use them in the rain without any problems. I think it's good that Sony has such a large selection. Overall, it makes the system more attractive. If you don't like Batis, you have a wide variety of other lenses to choose from. Maybe I'll buy the GM 35 / 1.4 in addition to the Batis 40/2. Nevertheless, the Batis 40/2 will be with me for a long time.

I took the pictures with the Batis 85. It would never have occurred to me to pack my 85 GM:

DSC05086 by Stefan Mieth, auf Flickr

DSC05087; Batis 85/1.8 by Stefan Mieth, auf Flickr

DSC08481; by Stefan Mieth, auf Flickr

Jul 13, 2021 at 07:47 AM
Schwarzlicht
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · B&H Deal Zone: Zeiss Batis 25mm f/2 Distagon Sony E ($999)

Batis 40/2

DSC09521 by Stefan Mieth, auf Flickr

DSC09666 by Stefan Mieth, auf Flickr

Batis 25/2

DSC09236 by Stefan Mieth, auf Flickr

DSC02280 by Stefan Mieth, auf Flickr

DSC05057 by Stefan Mieth, auf Flickr

Edited on Jul 15, 2021 at 05:49 AM · View previous versions

Jul 13, 2021 at 08:02 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · B&H Deal Zone: Zeiss Batis 25mm f/2 Distagon Sony E ($999)

Batis 25

Jul 13, 2021 at 08:05 AM
Schwarzlicht
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · B&H Deal Zone: Zeiss Batis 25mm f/2 Distagon Sony E ($999)

chez wrote:
Batis 25

I love it!

I don't know of any other lens series where colors and contrasts shine so well. The Sel50f14z also has a bit of this ability in my opinion. I particularly like the Batis 40/2 here. I find that this ability has more influence on the image impression than the last bit of resolution in the 100% view. Somehow every lens series has its justification. I'm glad that Batisserie exists, although I also like to buy a GM from time to time.

Jul 13, 2021 at 08:14 AM
Schwarzlicht
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · B&H Deal Zone: Zeiss Batis 25mm f/2 Distagon Sony E ($999)

Batis 25/2
DSC03653 by Stefan Mieth, auf Flickr

DSC04522 by Stefan Mieth, auf Flickr

Jul 13, 2021 at 08:19 AM
Schwarzlicht
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · B&H Deal Zone: Zeiss Batis 25mm f/2 Distagon Sony E ($999)

Batis 85/1.8
DSC08650 by Stefan Mieth, auf Flickr

DSC08343 by Stefan Mieth, auf Flickr

Jul 13, 2021 at 08:24 AM
gradient

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · B&H Deal Zone: Zeiss Batis 25mm f/2 Distagon Sony E ($999)

philip_pj wrote:

81 per cent of vehicles were finished in shades of white, grey, black or silver in 2020, and just look at the ugly monochrome new housing estates. It's a terribly drab time to be
...Show more

Would you be able to elaborate more on how to understand and appreciate the color renditions of various lens makers? I understand how lenses can have different color renditions, however, I'm not really sure what I'm looking for when I look at a single picture. When two photos are side-by-side in a controlled experiment I can see the different coloring. Maybe it's a lack of being able to express what I'm seeing and having two identical photos from different lenses allows me to make comparisons. Or maybe I'm too new to photography and haven't learned to see it yet. Any resources or tips would be much appreciated.

Jul 13, 2021 at 11:04 AM
DaveFP
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · B&H Deal Zone: Zeiss Batis 25mm f/2 Distagon Sony E ($999)

I still use both the Batis 25 and 85; great lenses.

Fantastic travel lenses despite being a little bulkier than they need to be.

Color and contrast is fantastic.

Wish the 40 was a 35; would have bought it years ago.

Jul 13, 2021 at 12:33 PM
Petegh
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · B&H Deal Zone: Zeiss Batis 25mm f/2 Distagon Sony E ($999)

gradient wrote:
Would you be able to elaborate more on how to understand and appreciate the color renditions of various lens makers? I understand how lenses can have different color renditions, however, I'm not really sure what I'm looking for when I look at a single picture. When two photos are side-by-side in a controlled experiment I can see the different coloring. Maybe it's a lack of being able to express what I'm seeing and having two identical photos from different lenses allows me to make comparisons. Or maybe I'm too new to photography and haven't learned to see it yet. Any
...Show more

Here's the harsh truth about it folks: when you stand in a museum looking at a Monet, you don't find yourself saying 'gee the colours are a bit off', rather you stand in awe at the perfection in the balance of the colours used.

So it is with photography: only so much colour theory can be taught, beyond that experience and 'image maturity' (how many images you've shot/viewed yourself) can refine it further, but every individual has a genetic limit - and its that final part that separates the Monet's of the world, and the rest of us.

All the truly great photographers have sublime colour sensibility - its an inherent part of the talent that makes them great - you either have it, or you don't.

Jul 14, 2021 at 07:12 AM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · B&H Deal Zone: Zeiss Batis 25mm f/2 Distagon Sony E ($999)

gradient wrote:
Would you be able to elaborate more on how to understand and appreciate the color renditions of various lens makers? I understand how lenses can have different color renditions, however, I'm not really sure what I'm looking for when I look at a single picture. When two photos are side-by-side in a controlled experiment I can see the different coloring. Maybe it's a lack of being able to express what I'm seeing and having two identical photos from different lenses allows me to make comparisons. Or maybe I'm too new to photography and haven't learned to see it yet. Any
...Show more

I don't think it is possible to explain color differences like that in a forum post. As the previous poster said, I do see a color difference in the Zeiss/Voigtlander lenses that I really like. I find it best to shoot the same scene, in the same light with lenses side by side. You can do this by renting a few lenses to try out. Since it looks like we both live in San Diego you can stop by and shoot a couple of my Zeiss and CV lenses next to what you have.

You may want to try this color acuity test on line to see where you fall in the color sensitivity spectrum. AS has been previously posted you may be genetical limited.

https://www.xrite.com/hue-test

Also keep in mind that with post processing these days the differences may not matter as much to the end result as they used to. Unless you shoot jpegs.

Jul 14, 2021 at 09:08 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.