Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Cone Flower

keepclicking
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Cone Flower

Planted some flowers in my yard so that I could photograph them. Here is an image of coneflower. Its a 16 image stack and I am still learning on sharping my skills at focus stacking and composition.
Welcome all CC

Thanks for viewing

One question - is it worth investing in Helicon Focus? This image was stacked using PS.

Thanks

Coneflower

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM lens    100mm    f/10.0    1/3s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jul 01, 2021 at 07:12 PM
LordV
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Cone Flower

Wonderful shot(s)

Brian V

Jul 02, 2021 at 01:43 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Cone Flower

Nicely done but I would have liked to see what is out of the frame at the top.

Harold

Jul 02, 2021 at 02:35 AM
keepclicking
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Cone Flower

Thanks Brian, glad you liked it. What are your thoughts on focus stacking software? What do you recommend?

LordV wrote:
Wonderful shot(s)

Brian V

Jul 02, 2021 at 05:49 PM
keepclicking
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Cone Flower

e6filmuser wrote:
Nicely done but I would have liked to see what is out of the frame at the top.

Harold

Thanks Harold, good point and now that you mentioned that, I need to do this all over again. Rookie mistake on my part.

Jul 02, 2021 at 05:54 PM
LordV
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Cone Flower

keepclicking wrote:
Thanks Brian, glad you liked it. What are your thoughts on focus stacking software? What do you recommend?

Both helicon focus and zerene stacker will give better overall results than PS at stacking but it obviously depends on how much you intend to use it as to whether it's worth getting.
I actually tend to use zerene probably just because I'm very used to it but helicon is easier to get going with and also faster.

Brian V.

Jul 03, 2021 at 12:02 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Cone Flower

keepclicking wrote:
Thanks Harold, good point and now that you mentioned that, I need to do this all over again. Rookie mistake on my part.

Not so much a mistake as personal preference. You have the technique nailed. Now work a bit more on composition.

Harold

Jul 03, 2021 at 01:58 AM
richrwk
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Cone Flower

Great colors!

Jul 04, 2021 at 10:44 AM
keepclicking
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Cone Flower

Brian, Thanks for your feedback, I will download a trial version and give it a shot. I appreciate you taking the the time to provide information.

LordV wrote:
Both helicon focus and zerene stacker will give better overall results than PS at stacking but it obviously depends on how much you intend to use it as to whether it's worth getting.
I actually tend to use zerene probably just because I'm very used to it but helicon is easier to get going with and also faster.

Brian V.

Jul 05, 2021 at 11:29 AM
keepclicking
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Cone Flower

Thanks Harold. I see few more flowers ready to bloom so will give it a shot. Thanks for your feedback.

e6filmuser wrote:
Not so much a mistake as personal preference. You have the technique nailed. Now work a bit more on composition.

Harold

Jul 05, 2021 at 11:30 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

keepclicking
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Cone Flower

Thanks and these flowers are very pretty with beautiful colors.

richrwk wrote:
Great colors!

Jul 05, 2021 at 11:31 AM
hawkskins

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Cone Flower

Very beautiful photograph!

Oct 18, 2021 at 04:10 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Cone Flower

great shot. i would love to see more of the top

Nov 10, 2021 at 12:07 AM
keepclicking
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Cone Flower

Thanks and glad u liked the image.

hawkskins wrote:
Very beautiful photograph!

Nov 15, 2021 at 11:48 PM
keepclicking
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Cone Flower

Thanks, I went back and looked at the images I took. I did soot the whole flower but when PP in PS via focus stack the top part got messed up. Instead of messing and fixing it, I just cropped it at the top. I need to revisit and get it right.
Glad you liked the image and thanks for the feedback.
nugeny wrote:
great shot. i would love to see more of the top

Nov 15, 2021 at 11:52 PM
thalia

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Cone Flower

Great shot and good choice for your garden. It is also known as echinacea. I first read about it on the Online Pharmacy site, where it was stated that it frequently used in herbal treatment of the cold. It boosts the immune system. I then liked the flower at once.

Dec 02, 2021 at 09:34 AM
keepclicking
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Cone Flower

Thanks Thalia, I looked it up and itís quite interesting. The flower in itself is very beautiful.

Dec 11, 2021 at 11:42 AM
klb170

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Cone Flower

Wow, great shot. Looks trippy!

May 21, 2022 at 09:42 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Cone Flower

Hard to tell if this is shot indoors or out, but focus stacking benefits from absolutely no movement. My personal preference for this type of shot is to bring it indoors, set it on top a a shot glass, using a diffused window as a light source (and white foam board as fill), then get the camera overhead looking straight down. In this case PS stacking works perfectly.

That said it's a nice shot, but as others mentioned, more symmetry would be beneficial here....

Cheer,

Greg

May 22, 2022 at 07:03 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Cone Flower

Parul - Great first attempt at this type of photography. At this size Ps seems to have worked okay for the stacking but how does it look upon close examination of the full rez file at 100 percent viewing? I've never had anywhere close to an acceptable result using Ps to stack, but I use Zerene and Helicon extensively, usually hitting Helicon first and using Mode C. On many images I'll run them through both programs to see which one does a better job as you never can tell in advance which one might work better. If you're going to get into this, I'd get Helicon first and then add Zerene later if you feel you need to. Zerene is really a rough program in terms of its user interface and its utter lack of intuitiveness is always reminding you that you're not as smart as its developer purports to be.

I think they both have demo versions of their programs you can try for a couple of weeks and if you're lucky, like I was, you might stumble into a lifetime Helicon license deal for $150. Who knows, maybe that was a one time thing but we can all hope.

May 22, 2022 at 07:22 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password