1       2       3              7      
       9       end

Archive 2021 · A1 firmware update coming in a few hours

k-h.a.w
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #1 · p.8 #1 · A1 firmware update coming in a few hours

arbitrage wrote:
I did mine on a 2012 rMBP without any issue with all sorts of things running. Mine is on Catalina.

Thanks Geoff.That's great.

I had trouble before updating Sony firmware with this Mac.
But I never had trouble doing the same with my early 2009 MBP.
However my early 2009 MBP can only run on up to El Capitan.
So it can't be used for this firmware update.
I may as well give a fresh install of Big Sur a try.

Thanks again, K-H.

Jul 02, 2021 at 01:24 AM
k-h.a.w
• • • • •
p.8 #2 · p.8 #2 · A1 firmware update coming in a few hours

stop wrote:
Have you tried turning off the firewall and rebooting the computer with the a1 attached and see if it recognizes the a1. Might be a chance its the fire wall settings. Much faster test than installing the os.
Are you running antivirus software? all of those things matter when you connect things to your computer.. just some food for thought.

Thanks for the advice.

Firewall is off.
But I run antivirus software.
And lots of other stuff.
I'll keep an eye on that when I install later some
of those apps and find out what interferes.
I need to get to the bottom of this.

Thanks again, K-H.

Jul 02, 2021 at 01:35 AM
k-h.a.w
• • • • •
p.8 #3 · p.8 #3 · A1 firmware update coming in a few hours

k-h.a.w wrote:
Thanks for the advice.

Firewall is off.
But I run antivirus software.
And lots of other stuff.
I'll keep an eye on that when I install later some
of those apps and find out what interferes.
I need to get to the bottom of this.

Thanks again, K-H.

Well that did the trick.
I just successfully updated my FE 50 GM on my A9 and the Mac Pro under Big Sur.
Next on my to do list is my neighbor's A1 firmware update.

K-H.

Jul 02, 2021 at 05:32 AM
k-h.a.w
• • • • •
p.8 #4 · p.8 #4 · A1 firmware update coming in a few hours

Updating the A1 firmware took about 25 minutes.
In contrast updating the firmware of the FE 70-200 OM took only a couple.

My guess, I have now created a dedicated Sony firmware update computer
as long as I boot from the internal SSD and don't add interfering software.

K-H.

Jul 02, 2021 at 07:24 PM
Maxxus46
• • •
p.8 #5 · p.8 #5 · A1 firmware update coming in a few hours

Came across this by BirdsAsArt Arthur Morris regarding latest 1.10 firmware. He feels the AF has improved even further;
Though it is impossible to objectively judge AF performance, after two days of working with the V1.10 firmware update, my gut feeling is that eye and face detection AF has improved significantly both with birds in flight (as above), and when working birds perched or on the ground as well …

Jul 03, 2021 at 06:22 AM
smhoer
• •
p.8 #6 · p.8 #6 · A1 firmware update coming in a few hours

I was out yesterday (Osprey) shooting in the rain and this morning (herons) before sunrise. My impression is the bird eye detection was picking up the eye better in low light and BIF.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Latest-Outings/Jordan-Lake-Dam-7-2-21/i-TMxNgNd/0/71e3f11e/X5/_DSC9440-denoise-clear-copy-X5.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Latest-Outings/Lake-Betz-7-3-21/i-FtpzZPp/0/500b0e28/X5/_DSC0239-denoise-severe-noise-copy-X5.jpg

Jul 03, 2021 at 07:51 AM
LBJ2
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #7 · p.8 #7 · A1 firmware update coming in a few hours

smhoer wrote:
I was out yesterday (Osprey) shooting in the rain and this morning (herons) before sunrise. My impression is the bird eye detection was picking up the eye better in low light and BIF.

Great Osprey shot!

Rain galore every day now in my area keeping me from testing the new firmware and any bird eye-af. However, I've never been too interested in this particular feature so haven't tried it yet with the A1 as I don't really think I need it. Or for those of you who do use it often, is this one of those "I don't know what I don't know"?

Jul 03, 2021 at 07:58 AM
Maxxus46
• • •
p.8 #8 · p.8 #8 · A1 firmware update coming in a few hours

Very nice captures

smhoer wrote:

https://photos.smugmug.com/Latest-Outings/Jordan-Lake-Dam-7-2-21/i-TMxNgNd/0/71e3f11e/X5/_DSC9440-denoise-clear-copy-X5.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Latest-Outings/Lake-Betz-7-3-21/i-FtpzZPp/0/500b0e28/X5/_DSC0239-denoise-severe-noise-copy-X5.jpg

Jul 03, 2021 at 08:10 AM
TX-Photog
• •
p.8 #9 · p.8 #9 · A1 firmware update coming in a few hours

LBJ2 wrote:
Great Osprey shot!

Rain galore every day now in my area keeping me from testing the new firmware and any bird eye-af. However, I've never been too interested in this particular feature so haven't tried it yet with the A1 as I don't really think I need it. Or for those of you who do use it often, is this one of those "I don't know what I don't know"?

I would say it is "I don't know what I don't know". I leave mine on and if it finds the eye and tracks it great, if not it will focus on the subject. For me there is no reason to not have it on as I will always want the eye in focus. I find it can even work on bugs such as butterfly and bees so that is pretty cool!

Jul 03, 2021 at 12:07 PM
timgangloff
• • • •
p.8 #10 · p.8 #10 · A1 firmware update coming in a few hours

I have not had an opportunity to shoot much since installing the new firmware, but just shooting some backyard birds has left me really impressed. I don't recall seeing this level of detail with the a1 and 200-600 before. Maybe it was there and I just want to believe it's better. Also have not had an opportunity to see if my EVF flaw has been fixed but am hopeful after reading the comments here. It truly would be an unrivaled camera if so. I'm sure some will still criticize it, say it's not robust enough, not big enough, not whatever enough. But those would probably be shooters who have never used it.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-rxmCDz7/0/bcad5bfd/X2/i-rxmCDz7-X2.jpg

This crop is about 1/9 the original size. I'm thrilled with it. Shot in jpeg, slight tweak to exposure as it was under and cropped.

Jul 03, 2021 at 12:25 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.8 #11 · p.8 #11 · A1 firmware update coming in a few hours

I've now had 3 straight days with about 6000 shots taken on the new FW.

My impressions:
1) EVF is 100% fixed...I know how to make it happen predictably when I have full sun in the first 2-3 hrs of the day. I did my test and it never once had an issue. I'm impressed Sony was able to fix this.

2) I don't see any difference in AF performance with 200-600 or 600GM.

3) I do see the Eye-AF indicator appears quicker and is less jumpy. Same goes for the RTT icon.

4) I do not see an increase in AF hit rate. I do not see an increase in BEAF for BIF and I don't see any improvement in the species it had trouble with previously.

Maybe after a few more days shooting I'll change my thinking but that is how I see it so far.
FWIW subjects have been swallows IF, kingfisher diving and IF, osprey diving and IF and all sorts of perched passerines.

Jul 03, 2021 at 05:19 PM
k-h.a.w
• • • • •
p.8 #12 · p.8 #12 · A1 firmware update coming in a few hours

arbitrage wrote:
I've now had 3 straight days with about 6000 shots taken on the new FW.

My impressions:
1) EVF is 100% fixed...I know how to make it happen predictably when I have full sun in the first 2-3 hrs of the day. I did my test and it never once had an issue. I'm impressed Sony was able to fix this.

2) I don't see any difference in AF performance with 200-600 or 600GM.

3) I do see the Eye-AF indicator appears quicker and is less jumpy. Same goes for the RTT icon.

4) I do not see an increase in AF hit rate.
...Show more

Thanks so much Geoff!
That’s good enough for me.
And thanks to Sony for the improvements.
As always your recent images are mesmerizing.

K-H.

Jul 03, 2021 at 05:32 PM
LBJ2
• • • • •
p.8 #13 · p.8 #13 · A1 firmware update coming in a few hours

TX-Photog wrote:
I would say it is "I don't know what I don't know". I leave mine on and if it finds the eye and tracks it great, if not it will focus on the subject. For me there is no reason to not have it on as I will always want the eye in focus. I find it can even work on bugs such as butterfly and bees so that is pretty cool!

Now I know .

Finally a morning without rain--just before the next storm! I'm probably the last on the forums to shoot A1 bird eye af and very impressed with what I got away with even on the little blackbirds.

Jul 04, 2021 at 11:23 AM
mkaplan
• •
p.8 #14 · p.8 #14 · A1 firmware update coming in a few hours

I have found much has improved.
As everyone mentions, no more viewfinder problem.
I find eye AF definitely improved. It is finding more eyes and seems stickier.
I have not checked or noticed any IBIS difference except the problem also seems fixed.
I captured this and it found the eye and it is sharp...
https://pbase.com/mkaplan/image/171765532/original.jpg

Jul 06, 2021 at 08:57 AM
MedicineMan404
• • • • •
p.8 #15 · p.8 #15 · A1 firmware update coming in a few hours

Rain? I've heard of that

Jul 12, 2021 at 07:23 PM
MedicineMan404
• • • • •
p.8 #16 · p.8 #16 · A1 firmware update coming in a few hours

Great report. I've been sitting on the FW update until your word.

Jul 12, 2021 at 07:27 PM
jhapeman
• • • •
p.8 #17 · p.8 #17 · A1 firmware update coming in a few hours

It took me a while to get a few days out with the A1 and the update, but I will add another data point that the VF issue is just gone. Not one problem with it in several days of shooting and thousands of shots.

I do find that the green box locks on eyes faster, and is much stickier. The "keeper" rate for me is slightly higher, but I think the green box is sticking better than the actual overall AF performance is increasing. I do think that with my teleconverters--especially the 2x--I am getting more keeper shots where it has truly locked on the eye. So I do believe that there is some real improvement there.

Still has a tendency to not want to focus on a closer object after locking into a distant one, that seems to be persistent issue with the MILC cameras and how the focus. I wish that could be addressed.

Jul 12, 2021 at 07:46 PM
k-h.a.w
• • • • •
p.8 #18 · p.8 #18 · A1 firmware update coming in a few hours

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-xfDRrSm/0/X4/i-xfDRrSm-X4.jpg
New firmware works great, even in fog.

K-H.

Jul 12, 2021 at 07:47 PM
EdwardDye
• • •
p.8 #19 · p.8 #19 · A1 firmware update coming in a few hours

Douglas L wrote:
I have to say though, while the A1 has better specs (except the IBIS) than the Canon R5, is it $2600 better? Probably not, but I only have Sony lenses so I had no choice if I wanted a high speed/high resolution camera.

The answer about $ is different for different people, while the Canon R5 has better specs than the A73, is it $2200 better? Probably not

Jul 13, 2021 at 11:44 AM
hevaKmaI
• •
p.8 #20 · p.8 #20 · A1 firmware update coming in a few hours

EdwardDye wrote:
The answer about $ is different for different people, while the Canon R5 has better specs than the A73, is it $2200 better? Probably not

That and while the RF lenses that are released look really nice, the EF mount has way more lens options right now.

Jul 13, 2021 at 11:48 AM
       9       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

9       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.