New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              46      
       end

Pre-order: Canon EOS R3 ($5,999)

JaimitoFrog
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.47 #1 · p.47 #1 · Pre-order: Canon EOS R3 ($5,999)

Jeff Cable's impression from the Tokyo Olympics:

http://blog.jeffcable.com/2021/09/finally-my-real-world-review-of-new.html?m=1

http://blog.jeffcable.com/2021/08/tokyo-olympics-by-numbers.html?m=1

https://www.digitalphotopro.com/gear/professional-cameras/how-good-is-the-canon-r3-a-review-from-a-pro/

Edited on Sep 23, 2021 at 05:58 PM · View previous versions

Sep 21, 2021 at 06:52 PM
Sage11

p.47 #2 · p.47 #2 · Pre-order: Canon EOS R3 ($5,999)

The interactive Canon R3 brochure provides some clarity on the Multi-Function Shoe Adapter AD-E1.

Multi-Function Shoe Adapter AD-E1
The Multi-Function Shoe Adapter AD-E1
is developed to retain compatibility with
existing Speedlites such as the Speedlite
EL-1, 600EX series, 580EX II, and more. This
adapter is required before mounting these
Speedlites onto the EOS R3 due to their rubber sealing design.
Speedlites that do not have dust- and drip-resistance feature,
such as the Speedlite 270EX, 430EX and 470EX series, can be
mounted directly onto the EOS R3.

Sep 22, 2021 at 12:21 PM
robert614
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.47 #3 · p.47 #3 · Pre-order: Canon EOS R3 ($5,999)

Sage11 wrote:
The interactive Canon R3 brochure provides some clarity on the Multi-Function Shoe Adapter AD-E1

Do you have a link to the brochure?

Sep 22, 2021 at 12:50 PM
Sage11

p.47 #4 · p.47 #4 · Pre-order: Canon EOS R3 ($5,999)

Many thanks and much appreciation to JaimitoFrog, who originally posted the link to the Canon R3 interactive brochure.

https://asia.canon/en/consumer/eos-r3-body/brochure

Sep 22, 2021 at 02:06 PM
robert614
• • •
p.47 #5 · p.47 #5 · Pre-order: Canon EOS R3 ($5,999)

Sage11 wrote:
Many thanks and much appreciation to JaimitoFrog, who originally posted the link to the Canon R3 interactive brochure.

https://asia.canon/en/consumer/eos-r3-body/brochure

Thanks!

Sep 22, 2021 at 02:53 PM
Spaceghost

p.47 #6 · p.47 #6 · Pre-order: Canon EOS R3 ($5,999)

R3…Decided to get an iPhone 13 pro max instead.

Sep 22, 2021 at 09:28 PM
Charlie N
• • • •
p.47 #7 · p.47 #7 · Pre-order: Canon EOS R3 ($5,999)

Jman13 wrote:
Tony's full of crap. Canon brand ambassadors? Sure, they may be somewhat limited in what they can say or can't say. Reviewers like Gordon Laing or Jared Polin? No.

I obviously have nowhere near the influence of those guys, but I have been doing reviews for nearly a decade now, and occasionally manufacturers will provide a sample for review. Every single time that has happened there have been absolutely zero strings attached. Not even a request for 'make the review positive' and never a request for editorial review. Now, I can't say anything definitive about Canon as they have never
...Show more

He's not completely off base and we can break it down:

Pre Production disclaimer, totally CYA tactic and BS. Youtubers not named peter mck dont get items a half year in advance to review and give feedback/beta test.

Second topic is somewhat more difficult to address.
Manufacturers are known to give out review loaners under some conditions. If your channel has been negative towards their product, you can bet your but the relationship will end. Now I say negative rather constructive criticism...... similar but the way you present yourself matters. Tony is a clickbait master and Canon may not like that and rightfully so. If you dont use and love their product, many wont send you loaners...... there's a conflict of interest in that type of relationship. Tony can rent and review afterwards, he wont get first dibs at the algorithm, tough luck, not really the end of the world. These companies have internal conditions on who to give the cameras to, and it is what it is. Creative marketing, so Tony is not completely off base. Canon/Sony/Nikon/Fuji can pick and choose whoever is sympathetic or acceptable critiques to market their products.

Gordon is an upstanding citizen and great contributor to the photo world, Jared is not my cup of tea.

Sep 22, 2021 at 09:32 PM
gossamer88

p.47 #8 · p.47 #8 · Pre-order: Canon EOS R3 ($5,999)

I am actually surprised the Northrups did not get one. Chelsea LOVES her R5 and 800 F11. And just recently got the RF 600F4 (I follow her on Instagram). There was her whole video about her switching (again!) from Sony. She got a lot of (negative) comments about it. Tony on the other hand LOVES his Sony.

When Canon announced the EOS R, they and a bunch of "influencers" were sent to Hawaii for the BIG announcement. I guess something between then and now soured their relationship? Who knows...

Sep 23, 2021 at 04:28 AM
JaimitoFrog
• • •
p.47 #9 · p.47 #9 · Pre-order: Canon EOS R3 ($5,999)

Walkthrough & Set Up | the Canon EOS R3

https://youtu.be/o0drHn6xoNo

Oct 18, 2021 at 04:19 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

CyberDyne
• • •
p.47 #10 · p.47 #10 · Pre-order: Canon EOS R3 ($5,999)

Some of what Jeff Cable said (and Fro) has me reconsidering my thoughts on NOT getting the R3.

I am one that is disappointed only in the final resolution. After all these years with the 5D4 sensor, and now the R5's, I can't really imagine paying that much for so much less MP. I realize for many applications 24MP is plenty,.

Anyway,. other than that revelation, I have been lusting for this camera since the first leak. I may have to seriously reconsider my megapixel "needs"

Edited on Oct 19, 2021 at 09:22 AM · View previous versions

Oct 18, 2021 at 01:25 PM
Bernie_King
• •
p.47 #11 · p.47 #11 · Pre-order: Canon EOS R3 ($5,999)

CyberDyne wrote:
Some of what Jeff Cable said has me reconsidering my thoughts on NOT getting the R3.

I am one that is disappointed only in the final resolution. After all these years with the 5D4 sensor, and now the R5's, I can't really imagine paying that much for so much less MP. I realize for many applications 24MP is plenty,.

Anyway,. other than that revelation, I have been lusting for this camera since the first leak. I may have to seriously reconsider my megapixel "needs"

According to Canon, this sensor will out-resolve the 30mp sensor in the 5D4. I'm in the same boat as you, although I did pre order the camera. Some days I'm fine with it, others I'm not. I shoot a lot of birds, so resolution is a bit of an issue, but at the same time I was happily shooting a 1DX II not that long ago in place of the 5D4 because I wanted the speed. If I keep my order in place, I will keep my R5 for perched birds and slow moving animals. I see the speed as an asset to things like diving eagles, fast flying owls, etc... An excellent wildlife photographer that I follow, Charles Glatzer, has just received his R3 (He shoots R5 right now) and I look forward to his impressions to make a final decision. If the R3 AF is noticeably better I will keep the order... if it's marginal I will likely cancel. .

Edited on Oct 19, 2021 at 12:23 PM · View previous versions

Oct 19, 2021 at 07:27 AM
CyberDyne
• • •
p.47 #12 · p.47 #12 · Pre-order: Canon EOS R3 ($5,999)

I don't really give a hoot what canon says though, their claims never hold much water with me. (I'm reminded about how many bodies were equipped with the same 18.1 MP sensor and EVERY TIME Canon claimed it was "All new" )

That said, I know the 20-22 MP sensors of yore are not what I want for most of the photography I do. I gave up the 1DXIII partly for that reason. So here we differ, I never wanted to shoot a 1DX over 5D4 for birding.

Is 4 more MP going to be just enough to satisfy? Not sure.

Fro's AF test sure is convincing though. I've said it elsewhere, if this had 30MP or more, it would be the first body I have reordered since the 1D MKIII. At the very least, being less than that allows me to cool my jets a while and make a less impulsive purchase

Oct 19, 2021 at 09:25 AM
goalerjones

p.47 #13 · p.47 #13 · Pre-order: Canon EOS R3 ($5,999)

CyberDyne wrote:
Fro's AF test sure is convincing though. I've said it elsewhere, if this had 30MP or more, it would be the first body I have reordered since the 1D MKIII. At the very least, being less than that allows me to cool my jets a while and make a less impulsive purchase

I love so much about the camera...except taking the step backwards IMO w the sensor size. If there is another 1 model in the future remains to be seen, but Canon does what suits them and the consumer seems to get almost what they want with each new release.

Oct 19, 2021 at 11:12 AM
Bernie_King
• •
p.47 #14 · p.47 #14 · Pre-order: Canon EOS R3 ($5,999)

CyberDyne wrote:
I don't really give a hoot what canon says though, their claims never hold much water with me. (I'm reminded about how many bodies were equipped with the same 18.1 MP sensor and EVERY TIME Canon claimed it was "All new" )

That said, I know the 20-22 MP sensors of yore are not what I want for most of the photography I do. I gave up the 1DXIII partly for that reason. So here we differ, I never wanted to shoot a 1DX over 5D4 for birding.

Is 4 more MP going to be just enough to satisfy? Not sure.

Fro's
...Show more

I tried to like the 5D IV, the AF was just too slow with my 500 F4. I had the same troubles with the 7D Mark II. I'd rather have a lower resolution sharp image than miss higher res shots because the camera couldn't drive the lens properly. I've had similar troubles with the R5 and my 600 f4 II. Once it gets a lock, it tracks well, until then it's just SLOW to lock on. That is of course with fast moving objects. I missed several Eagle dives last year because the R5 just wouldn't lock on. If I were shooting at perched birds all the time, the R3 wouldn't be a consideration because there's time to nudge the AF manually if necessary to get it close. I'll grant that I've gotten better with the R5 by adjusting technique but it's still not on the level of the 1DX II for initial acquisition. After that, it blows the 1DX II away. Higher resolution also requires higher shutter speeds (and ISO as a result) and that can get difficult shooting flying owls, etc... that like to work at dawn and dusk. At this point I've ordered an RF 600 F4 to replace the II and an R3 (I have an R6 as a second camera right now that will likely go away). Fros AF tests were for sure encouraging, but I'm waiting to hear from someone who shoots similar to me to determine if I will keep the R3 order. I agree, had it been 30mp or higher I would have no reservations at all.

Oct 19, 2021 at 12:36 PM
robert614
• • •
p.47 #15 · p.47 #15 · Pre-order: Canon EOS R3 ($5,999)

Not sure if this has been mentioned already, but Canon USA just released a bunch of short videos on the R3.

https://www.youtube.com/c/CanonUSA/videos

Oct 20, 2021 at 07:00 PM
dmcphoto
• • •
p.47 #16 · p.47 #16 · Pre-order: Canon EOS R3 ($5,999)

Bernie_King wrote:
According to Canon, this sensor will out-resolve the 30mp sensor in the 5D4.

I have no idea what that means. It could be true with a crappy or out of focus lens on the 5D4. Also according to Canon, the R5 with an AA filtered sensor will "out-resolve" the 50 MP 5DsR even though the AA filter loses roughly 10% and there are 10% fewer pixels. I guess the same lens caveats apply there. Or maybe the are using alternative laws of physics that are similar to "alternative facts". Regardless, they seem to have found a way to travel backwards in time.

The bottom line is that Canon's R3 is a 24 MP camera that costs $500 less than Sony's 50 MP A1, and both cameras use stacked BSI sensor technology.

Honestly, I was pretty shocked to see the 24 MP specification. I can't imagine why Canon would do this, unless it's the best their sensor fabrication facility can do with the stacked technology.

Oct 21, 2021 at 04:14 AM
patotts
• • •
p.47 #17 · p.47 #17 · Pre-order: Canon EOS R3 ($5,999)

JaimitoFrog wrote:
Jeff Cable's impression from the Tokyo Olympics:

http://blog.jeffcable.com/2021/09/finally-my-real-world-review-of-new.html?m=1

http://blog.jeffcable.com/2021/08/tokyo-olympics-by-numbers.html?m=1

https://www.digitalphotopro.com/gear/professional-cameras/how-good-is-the-canon-r3-a-review-from-a-pro/

Here is the Behind The Shot interview on YouTube

Oct 21, 2021 at 03:34 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password