New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              45      
       47       end

Pre-order: Canon EOS R3 ($5,999)

RobAmy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.46 #1 · p.46 #1 · Pre-order: Canon EOS R3 ($5,999)

Everything I have seen or read so far seems like this could be a fun camera with some serious speed. Looking forward trying it with the RF 400mm f2.8. I assume you will see a AF boost also with RF extenders. I think paired with the R5 when you need the cropping would be a nice combo. The video end of things look fantastic too. Now the wait for the camera to come in.

Sep 16, 2021 at 03:58 AM
Milan Hutera
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.46 #2 · p.46 #2 · Pre-order: Canon EOS R3 ($5,999)

arbitrage wrote:
Sorry to do this to you guys, but I can't resist

Sounds like Tony is on Canon's naughty list....no pre-release demo for him.....

So Sony Northrup says all the people receiving pre production R3s cannot say negative things about Canon because they are sponsored by Canon.. Okay Sony, we aren't living under the rock..

Reminds me of that looney toon who shot Canon 400mm f2,8 L IS II at f2,8, clearly misfocuced and the then new Sony 400mm f2,8 at f4 and claimed how great the Sony is compared to Canon.

Also it seems Sony is still on the 1080p60fps fad...

Sep 16, 2021 at 04:57 AM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.46 #3 · p.46 #3 · Pre-order: Canon EOS R3 ($5,999)

Milan Hutera wrote:
So Sony Northrup says all the people receiving pre production R3s cannot say negative things about Canon because they are sponsored by Canon.. Okay Sony, we aren't living under the rock..

Reminds me of that looney toon who shot Canon 400mm f2,8 L IS II at f2,8, clearly misfocuced and the then new Sony 400mm f2,8 at f4 and claimed how great the Sony is compared to Canon.

Also it seems Sony is still on the 1080p60fps fad...

Thanks to rocket scientist Northrup for figuring out for us that the actual frame rate in practice may be reduced by things like autofocus between the frames.

There. Hopefully I saved somebody for watching the video hoping to find something important about the R3 that the ambassadors aren't allowed to say.

Sep 16, 2021 at 07:37 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.46 #4 · p.46 #4 · Pre-order: Canon EOS R3 ($5,999)

Tony's full of crap. Canon brand ambassadors? Sure, they may be somewhat limited in what they can say or can't say. Reviewers like Gordon Laing or Jared Polin? No.

I obviously have nowhere near the influence of those guys, but I have been doing reviews for nearly a decade now, and occasionally manufacturers will provide a sample for review. Every single time that has happened there have been absolutely zero strings attached. Not even a request for 'make the review positive' and never a request for editorial review. Now, I can't say anything definitive about Canon as they have never sent me anything (nor am I anywhere near a blip on their radar), but I've talked with Gordon Laing in person, as we discussed reviewing things and such, and I 100% believe him when he says there's no influence behind the scenes there. He and Jared both called out Tony on that video.

Sep 16, 2021 at 08:09 AM
Atlasman2
• • •
p.46 #5 · p.46 #5 · Pre-order: Canon EOS R3 ($5,999)

Jman13 wrote:
Tony's full of crap. Canon brand ambassadors? Sure, they may be somewhat limited in what they can say or can't say. Reviewers like Gordon Laing or Jared Polin? No.

I obviously have nowhere near the influence of those guys, but I have been doing reviews for nearly a decade now, and occasionally manufacturers will provide a sample for review. Every single time that has happened there have been absolutely zero strings attached. Not even a request for 'make the review positive' and never a request for editorial review. Now, I can't say anything definitive about Canon as they have never
...Show more

Reviewers like Laing or Polin may say they are not influenced, but they are!

I attach a lot more credibility on a reviewer who goes out and rents or buys the equipment, uses the gear and then reviews.

Sep 16, 2021 at 08:38 AM
Tim Kamppinen
• •
p.46 #6 · p.46 #6 · Pre-order: Canon EOS R3 ($5,999)

Jman13 wrote:

I obviously have nowhere near the influence of those guys, but I have been doing reviews for nearly a decade now, and occasionally manufacturers will provide a sample for review. Every single time that has happened there have been absolutely zero strings attached. Not even a request for 'make the review positive' and never a request for editorial review. Now, I can't say anything definitive about Canon as they have never
...Show more

At the very least, even with independent reviewers there is the implied pressure of "If I trash this product, the company probably isn't going to send me anything in the future." If they don't get stuff ahead of everyone else for day-one hands on coverage, then they get fewer clicks which directly affects their bottom line. To what degree that actually (consciously or subconsciously) impacts the content depends on the reviewer. There are some review channels (not talking specifically about photo equipment here) that are known for obviously downplaying or outright not mentioning any negative aspects of a product and exaggerating the benefits as much as possible. Usually they also have affiliate links as well, so if they give a bad impression of the product and no one clicks the link to buy or even look at it, they make less money there as well.

All that said, I didn't watch Tony's video and in general I think he's a jackass.

Sep 16, 2021 at 08:46 AM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.46 #7 · p.46 #7 · Pre-order: Canon EOS R3 ($5,999)

I watch both Tony/Chelsea and Jared for entertainment value to see what they will say next, and sometimes there are granules of truth in the material.

Kind of like watching Kai's DigitalRev videos back in the day... Some of those were simply hilarious.

Sep 16, 2021 at 09:01 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.46 #8 · p.46 #8 · Pre-order: Canon EOS R3 ($5,999)

There was a time when a member could look at reviews posted by members on this site. For mirrorless cameras, there is only one option for brand, and that is Sony. Even under Sony, it seems no reviews have been posted since 2014.

Does nobody bother to post reviews anymore on gear they have used because the Review section has not been updated for years? Why no mirrorless categories for Canon, Nikon, M4/3, etc.?

https://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/

Sep 16, 2021 at 09:16 AM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.46 #9 · p.46 #9 · Pre-order: Canon EOS R3 ($5,999)

That would require Fred and admins to add sections to the pages for the models to even add reviews, I suspect.

Sep 16, 2021 at 11:47 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.46 #10 · p.46 #10 · Pre-order: Canon EOS R3 ($5,999)

TeamSpeed wrote:
That would require Fred and admins to add sections to the pages for the models to even add reviews, I suspect.

Sure, just like Fred did with Zeiss in 2010, Sony & Samyang in 2013, etc., etc.

Members are probably more interested in Canon and Nikon mirrorless camera reviews than those of Tokina or Tamron lenses.

Sep 16, 2021 at 12:53 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mbo27

p.46 #11 · p.46 #11 · Pre-order: Canon EOS R3 ($5,999)

Tim Kamppinen wrote:
I agree 100%. I have no insider information whatsoever, but if I were a camera manufacturer and I'm sending my equipment to this reviewer who keeps always finding negative things to say about it, I will definitely "fire him/her". This is 200% business logic and makes perfect sense and I wouldn't blame the manufacturers for it.
So that "pressure" to be on the good side of Canon/Sony/Nikon/Fuji and others is definitely there. It will directly or indirectly affects the reviews. It leads either to those hyperbole comments (best lens/camera in the world!) or downplaying (or plain not mentioning) defects.

Sep 16, 2021 at 09:39 PM
311erin
• •
p.46 #12 · p.46 #12 · Pre-order: Canon EOS R3 ($5,999)

I pre-ordered this morning. Ill learn for myself rather than rely on YouTube celebrities. At most my experiment wont cost me more than a rental would, and Id have the camera for a longer duration to evaluate with vs a rental. Well see. If things go favorably, my wife gets my R5 she has wanted all summer.👍

Sep 17, 2021 at 11:36 AM
BrandonSi
• • •
p.46 #13 · p.46 #13 · Pre-order: Canon EOS R3 ($5,999)

311erin wrote:
I pre-ordered this morning. Ill learn for myself rather than rely on YouTube celebrities. At most my experiment wont cost me more than a rental would, and Id have the camera for a longer duration to evaluate with vs a rental. Well see. If things go favorably, my wife gets my R5 she has wanted all summer.👍

That's my approach as well.. I'll spend a few weeks with the R3, if I don't like it someone on the forums will want it and that'll mostly offset my expense for the pre-order. Not like one could actually rent an R3 for quite some time anyway.

Am tempted by those refurb R5's in stock though, wouldn't hurt to have a second and avoid changing lenses..

Sep 17, 2021 at 05:09 PM
jedibrain
• • •
p.46 #14 · p.46 #14 · Pre-order: Canon EOS R3 ($5,999)

Tim Kamppinen wrote:
At the very least, even with independent reviewers there is the implied pressure of "If I trash this product, the company probably isn't going to send me anything in the future." If they don't get stuff ahead of everyone else for day-one hands on coverage, then they get fewer clicks which directly affects their bottom line. To what degree that actually (consciously or subconsciously) impacts the content depends on the reviewer. There are some review channels (not talking specifically about photo equipment here) that are known for obviously downplaying or outright not mentioning any negative aspects of a product
...Show more

I'm sure there is some pressure somewhere, even if its just the thought in the reviewer's mind that he/she not go too far lest they be left off the next preview list.

But I think there is less of that at play with the overall positive nature of many reviews than there is of something else - most gear these days is really pretty good. Despite the countless posts on forums like these about this feature, that feature, this shortcoming, that advantage, how many MP things could or should have had....in the end all the gear just works. Idiosyncrasies are present for sure, but if you step back and look at the bigger picture it's hard to come up with negative things to say about a lot of this stuff.

-Brian

Sep 17, 2021 at 07:32 PM
quantumloop
• •
p.46 #15 · p.46 #15 · Pre-order: Canon EOS R3 ($5,999)

jedibrain wrote:
I'm sure there is some pressure somewhere, even if its just the thought in the reviewer's mind that he/she not go too far lest they be left off the next preview list.

But I think there is less of that at play with the overall positive nature of many reviews than there is of something else - most gear these days is really pretty good. Despite the countless posts on forums like these about this feature, that feature, this shortcoming, that advantage, how many MP things could or should have had....in the end all the gear just works. Idiosyncrasies are
...Show more

That is a great observation: that all of the gear is really fantastic and that has been true for years. You are also right that on many forums people just nitpick over very minor details. At this stage the only way to differentiate between brands is to find minor details.

Also reviewers do tend to love gear anyway and so that enthusiasm will show as well.

Reviewers love what is new. That is what enables them to have their job/channel, etc, and makes that job interesting.

So you have great equipment being put in the hands of those who naturally love gear. Sure you will get a lot of positive comments made.

Sep 17, 2021 at 11:04 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.46 #16 · p.46 #16 · Pre-order: Canon EOS R3 ($5,999)

Once again providing the best reviews out there. Northrup has been schooled...

Sep 18, 2021 at 02:58 PM
JaimitoFrog
• • •
p.46 #17 · p.46 #17 · Pre-order: Canon EOS R3 ($5,999)

arbitrage wrote:
Once again providing the best reviews out there. Northrup has been schooled...

Those one was posted 3 days ago, same thing.
https://youtu.be/ZxEQ567kJu4

Sep 18, 2021 at 05:24 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.46 #18 · p.46 #18 · Pre-order: Canon EOS R3 ($5,999)

Tony is just a punk who always likes to create controversy with dubious, speculative or flat out false claims, just like with the R5, simply because he didn't get a camera sample. I wonder if he realizes that this may be contributing to him not getting any samples...

Sep 18, 2021 at 05:57 PM
JaimitoFrog
• • •
p.46 #19 · p.46 #19 · Pre-order: Canon EOS R3 ($5,999)

Nice to know you can charge via USB C.

https://youtu.be/d6f-6RGicPE

Sep 18, 2021 at 08:57 PM
JaimitoFrog
• • •
p.46 #20 · p.46 #20 · Pre-order: Canon EOS R3 ($5,999)

I might give this extra large eye cup ER-hE a try. I wear glasses with thick lenses.

Large Eyecup ER-hE
Large Size eyecup for EOS R3
Provide stable Eye Control AF for users wearing eyeglasses by reducing the entry of external light to viewfinder through the eyecup.
Also recommended for use with Eye Control AF when shooting outdoor under sunlight
360o rotatable to accommodate different shooting orientation

https://hk.canon/en/consumer/launch-of-the-eos-r3-full-frame-mirrorless-camera/news

https://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/img/dcw/docs/1351/063/html/15.jpg.html

Sep 18, 2021 at 09:04 PM
       47       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

47       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password