1       2      
       4              52       53       end

Voigtlander 28mm f/2 Ultron II Review

naturephoto1
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Voigtlander 28mm f/2 Ultron II Review

jeffersoncasey wrote:
It's just the in camera coding that label as such in EXIF. Refer to bottom of the previous page.

Read what Fred has posted below the photo itself. That is why I am asking.

Rich

Jun 11, 2021 at 10:06 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Voigtlander 28mm f/2 Ultron II Review

naturephoto1 wrote:
Read what Fred has posted below the photo itself. That is why I am asking.

Rich

Apologies Rich and this can be confusing. I've explained it on this post:
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1704868/0#15621534

All the best,
Fred

Jun 11, 2021 at 11:23 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Voigtlander 28mm f/2 Ultron II Review

Fred, in your first post you noted aperture is 1/3 steps, but I'm guessing that was a typo? I can't think of any VM lenses with third steps and would be surprised if this was suddenly the case. Zeiss ZM (made by Cosina) is the only M lens set I know of with third step apertures.

Also, IIRC, lens codes applied via EXIF only result in edge color shift and vignetting correction. My understanding is distortion correction is not baked in.

Thanks for the infinity test images. Looks really impressive!

Unfortunately from your few nearer distance images posted so far, I'm getting the feeling I will have a similar opinion of this lens as the VM 35 APO: amazing sharpness but with bokeh that doesn't appeal to me. It'll be a winner though for situations where optimum across-frame sharpness (on Leica M) is desired. I wish I still had it and will have to go back through older images, but my feeling is the Leica 28 Cron had more pleasing rendering.

Jun 11, 2021 at 11:35 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Voigtlander 28mm f/2 Ultron II Review

rscheffler wrote:
Fred, in your first post you noted aperture is 1/3 steps, but I'm guessing that was a typo? I can't think of any VM lenses with third steps and would be surprised if this was suddenly the case. Zeiss ZM (made by Cosina) is the only M lens set I know of with third step apertures.

Also, IIRC, lens codes applied via EXIF only result in edge color shift and vignetting correction. My understanding is distortion correction is not baked in.

Thanks for the infinity test images. Looks really impressive!

Unfortunately from your few nearer distance images posted so far, I'm getting the
...Show more

It was a typo. It's 1/2 steps. (fixed, thanks)
As far as I know 6-bit coding does not fix distortion. However, for those using Lightroom, it auto detects the lens when choosing "enable profile corrections" but it's for the Leica, not Voigtlander.

Rendering is always subjective. The CV 35/2 APO's rendering is more structured to my eyes and the CV 35/2 Ultron is even rougher. So far, I think the 28/2 Ultron II has pleasant rendering. I will post many samples.

Jun 12, 2021 at 12:08 AM
chasdfg
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Voigtlander 28mm f/2 Ultron II Review

Following this thread with great interest...if I buy this lens it'd be your doing Fred! (though I wouldn't be the first).

I'm very surprised by this lens's performance between f2 to f4 at infinity. I use a 28 Summicron v2 and I am quite certain that this VM is better than it in terms of sharpness, wide open and stopped down.

I'm OK with the CA performance but like Ron mentioned, am not sold by the bokeh from the sample so far. It's not horrible, but it isn't charming. Of course, charming may also mean divisive. I feel the 28cron v2 has a bit of an edge here. I don't shoot 28mm as much as I'd like, so to this VM lens makes sense to me. Plus it is tiny, granted the cron v2 without hood isn't large, just that this VM takes the factors of size and performance to the next level.

If my 35mm f2 Ultron II's build is anything to go by, I'd confidently say that the 28mm f2 II's build is likely to be better than the cron v2's from a layperson's perspective (i.e. not someone who is going to take the lens apart and compare helicoids and bits and bobs inside). On my 35mm f2 Ultron II, the focus ring is smooth with no kinks and the aperture clicks are very firm. The brass also has a heft, which may artificially contribute to a sense of quality. I owned the VM 35mm 1.2 III alongside this 35mm f2 for a couple of months and while the 35mm 1.2 III is pricier, its focus ring was lighter, the aperture ring less tense and the black (anodised?) paint wore off more easily than any of my Leicas, so I get the impression the vintage line appears better built (no idea about the paint of this line, as my 35mm f2 is in silver chrome). But both these VM lenses easily put their Leica counterparts to shame - the aperture rings on my 35FLE and 50APO are as loose as a fidget spinner. My 35FLE's focus ring was fine, then when it came back from service, came back uneven. The 28 Cron V2 is more or less ok, but IMO bested by both VM lenses I mentioned.

I suspect the 28mm f2 Ultron II will better the 28 Cron v2 on a few fronts based on Fred's review, my experience and online specs -> more obviously cost and size, but also build, and in terms of optics on the resolution front. The Cron v2's saving grace(s) (if at all) may well come down to more subjective aspects e.g. background rendering and colours. I think the incremental small wins in favour of the VM (and a bigger win for cost) will really make it a Summicron killer, if not for others then for myself.

Jun 12, 2021 at 02:56 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Voigtlander 28mm f/2 Ultron II Review

We have only seen a few samples, so far but to this point I am pleasantly surprised by the rendering. It will of course have the problems of such a small lens--vignetting will mean DOF will be deeper as you approach the corners and there will be some CA in the bokeh circle at least until f/4 it seems, but the background doesn't look too busy and the transition zone doesn't look too abrupt and distracting. Will it match the 28 summicron I and II for rendering? Perhaps not, but it doesn't look like it will be far behind. These are early assessment, however, so as we see more samples it will be easier to judge.

Jun 12, 2021 at 08:25 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Voigtlander 28mm f/2 Ultron II Review

Sunstar rendering and Flare resistance

Here is an aperture series from f/2 until f/11 in 1/2 stop increments showing the Voigtlander 28/2 Ultron's sunstar shape.
This lens is equipped with 10 straight aperture blades which yields 10-point sunstars.

It's well defined starting at f/4 and optimal from f/4.8 until f/11.

So far, flare resistant is above average and similar or even better compared to its predecessor. I have pointed the lens directly to the sun and at many angles against light and do not see ghosting nor veiling. I will test this further, but it seems that flare resistance is a strength for this lens.

f/2

f/2.8

f/4

f/5.6

f/8

f/11

Jun 12, 2021 at 08:35 AM
junglialoh
• • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Voigtlander 28mm f/2 Ultron II Review

This morning I tested using CV 28F2 V2 in Sony A7R2.
It is impressive sharpness in infinity (F5.6) and beautiful color rendition without editing.
Bowen Lake in Spartanburg County in June 12, 2021 10:30AM
It is showing CV character and micro-contrast.
Ref: (Aperture priority 1/800 second ISO 100)

Cosina Voightlander (CV) 28mm F2 Vintage Line (type II) V2

Edited on Jun 12, 2021 at 01:54 PM · View previous versions

Jun 12, 2021 at 11:01 AM
jeffersoncasey
• •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Voigtlander 28mm f/2 Ultron II Review

junglialoh wrote:
This morning I tested using CV 28F2 V2 in Sony A7R2.
It is impressive sharpness in infinity (F5.6) and beautiful color rendition without editing.
Bowen Lake in Spartanburg County in June 12, 2021 10:30AM
It is showing CV character and micro-contrast.

Very tempting indeed...

Jun 12, 2021 at 11:10 AM
junglialoh
• • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Voigtlander 28mm f/2 Ultron II Review

Different condition (F8?), it was taken at same time and same spot.
Ref (Aperture priority 1/640 second ISO 100)
For comparison, Leica Elmarit-R 28mm F2.8 V2 E55 is added.
LR28/2.8V2 E55 displays Leica color and sharpness.

CV 28mm F2 V2

Leica Elmarit-R 28mm V2 E55

Edited on Jun 13, 2021 at 11:05 AM · View previous versions

Jun 12, 2021 at 01:03 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

junglialoh
• • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Voigtlander 28mm f/2 Ultron II Review

Using Panasonic S1R with CV28mm F2 V2 is tested.
Sharper than when it is attached to Sony A7R2.
Corner sharpness is improved from Sony A7R2.

CV 28mm F2 V2 (Vintage Line)

Jun 13, 2021 at 10:40 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Voigtlander 28mm f/2 Ultron II Review

I am in Hawaii with the family and brought my M9 + 28/2 II.
Will post samples from here as soon as I can.

Meanwhile, those who already received their Voigtlander 28/2 Ultron II, please post some samples here and I will link to the review.

Jun 13, 2021 at 01:04 PM
junglialoh
• • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Voigtlander 28mm f/2 Ultron II Review

Cleveland Park taken using Panasonic S1R with CV 28mm F2 V2.

CV 28mm F2 V2 (Vintage Line)

Jun 13, 2021 at 04:08 PM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Voigtlander 28mm f/2 Ultron II Review

Fred Miranda wrote:
I am in Hawaii with the family and brought my M9 + 28/2 II.
Will post samples from here as soon as I can.

Meanwhile, those who already received their Voigtlander 28/2 Ultron II, please post some samples here and I will link to the review.

Which island? I am heading to Maui in a couple weeks. Are you using your BPM filters at all?

Jun 13, 2021 at 04:26 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Voigtlander 28mm f/2 Ultron II Review

nehemiahphoto wrote:
Which island? I am heading to Maui in a couple weeks. Are you using your BPM filters at all?

I'm in Kona. Here is an image from last night:
...edited on my phone. It's a little noisy from the M9's CCD sensor.

Voigtlander 28mm f/2 Ultron II

Jun 13, 2021 at 06:34 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Voigtlander 28mm f/2 Ultron II Review

I will test this further but so far I'm getting well controlled distortion. (perhaps a tiny bit barrel)

Jun 13, 2021 at 10:19 PM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Voigtlander 28mm f/2 Ultron II Review

As long as we are considering the large/heavy lenses for the Sony mount * may I remind all of Roger C’s MTF tests of the Sigma 28mm F1.4 and his conclusion that it measures with the best FF 28mm primes extant?

* The Sigma is lighter than the Otus-heavier than the Sony but gives the Otus a run for its money,

Jun 14, 2021 at 05:22 AM
junglialoh
• • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Voigtlander 28mm f/2 Ultron II Review

I used Sigma 28mm F1.4 FE for a while, and found it is the sharpest 28mm prime lens ever used.
But I sold out due to its heaviness to carry for trail. It is by far one of the sharpest 28mm lens and much better optical quality than Sony AF 28mm. When I compare with Nikon 28mm F1.4 E using adapter, Sigma is still sharper than Nikon's. But finally I do not feel to carry heavy one for hour trip. I used many 28mm MF lenses such as Nikon 28mm AIS, Contax 28mm MMJ, old Ultron, Nikon 28mm E, Canon 28mm IS, Leica 28mm V1 and V2 (noble character), and ZF and ZE, Penatx 28mm F3.5 K, Pentax 31mm, Contax G 28mm, Leica 28mm Elmarit-M (nice Leica character), Voigtlander 28mm F2.8 SN II N (good memory), and many. But sold out all except Contax 28mm F2.8 MMJ because of low price and light weight, and moderate good sharpness, and most reliability in any situation without giving any disappointment for amateur like me. I think this CV 28mm F2 V2 would be keeper for Panasonic S1R on which it shines/maximizes its merit. I missed a lot of Voigtlander 28mm F2.8 for Canon even if it is soft at edge and corner (center sharpness and color rendition is fantastic), but give most memorable and impressive images that I ever taken. I did not regret that I sold Leica Elmarit-R 28mm V2 E55 when I got this. Each has own trait and merit, but two are not much different in Sony/Panasonic system for my usage.

Edited on Jun 14, 2021 at 02:30 PM · View previous versions

Jun 14, 2021 at 05:34 AM
expwmbat
• •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Voigtlander 28mm f/2 Ultron II Review

The separation of different greens, compared with the Leica R 28mm, is notable and somewhat surprising to me. The CV manages those tones remarkably well to my eye.

DJK

Jun 14, 2021 at 08:21 AM
jeffersoncasey
• •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Voigtlander 28mm f/2 Ultron II Review

expwmbat wrote:
The separation of different greens, compared with the Leica R 28mm, is notable and somewhat surprising to me. The CV manages those tones remarkably well to my eye.

DJK

I'm seeing more contrasts and depth (as in more shades of shadows) on the water/waves. Probably due to different lighting and composition, but as far as the presented examples go, that's what I can tell, objectively.

Jun 14, 2021 at 09:36 AM
1       2      

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.