Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2021 · Is it possible to just buy a boom arm without a light stand?

mstein274
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Is it possible to just buy a boom arm without a light stand?

I already have heavy duty stands and I really don't need another. A Neewer or Mathews boom arm that could handle about 15 lbs would be ideal.

Jun 03, 2021 at 05:38 PM
rico
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Is it possible to just buy a boom arm without a light stand?

A payload of 15 lbs is substantial. You want more than 15 lbs of counterweight to maintain a good reach (I use 30). The boom needs to be junior class so that's another 15 lbs. Total weight (in lbs) over the stand is now 15+30+15 = 60. Junior stands are built for this load but do add another 30 lbs to the transport burden.

I own the MSE Mini Matth which, being of baby fitment, is suitable for Speedlights and strobe heads but nothing more. My larger fixtures (up to 20 lbs) are attached to an Avenger D650 junior boom—an entirely different catagory of support. MSE makes a junior boom that is probably equivalent.

Jun 03, 2021 at 08:29 PM
mstein274
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Is it possible to just buy a boom arm without a light stand?

Any comments on using the Avenger D600, looks to be about the same at half the cost.

Jun 03, 2021 at 08:49 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Is it possible to just buy a boom arm without a light stand?

At half the weight, I would not call the D600 about the same. The spec'ed payload at full extension is 15 lbs, or right at your limit. I feel more comfortable operating a boom at well under its limit. The D650 comes with a 15-lb iron counterweight ($50 value), while the D600 needs an addition c/w solution.

Jun 03, 2021 at 09:24 PM
mstein274
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Is it possible to just buy a boom arm without a light stand?

Thanks for your help!

Jun 04, 2021 at 06:40 AM
mrca
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Is it possible to just buy a boom arm without a light stand?

First, what do you plan on mounting that weighs 15 lbs? My mono light weighs 5 and a heavy modifier mayby 7, 12 lbs. Then, I expect the modifier would have a fairly large diameter so do you really need to boom it out 6-7'? If the weight is more accurately say 10-12 lbs and boom it out say 5' that would put it in the middle of a 9' seamless, I would think the D600 would have no problem. Mine is exactly that with no issue and it rolls nicely. I use a cloth bag with bags of sand to counter weight.

Jun 04, 2021 at 03:45 PM
henryp
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Is it possible to just buy a boom arm without a light stand?

mstein274 wrote:
I already have heavy duty stands and I really don't need another. A Neewer or Mathews boom arm that could handle about 15 lbs would be ideal.

Boom arms: https://bhpho.to/2UAzXWl

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

Jun 23, 2021 at 12:12 PM
c.d.embrey
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Is it possible to just buy a boom arm without a light stand?

mstein274 wrote:
... looks to be about the same at half the cost.

I have a sister-in-law who looks like Barbara Streisand. But she's not as good a singer Looks can be deceiving.

Jun 23, 2021 at 04:01 PM
c.d.embrey
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Is it possible to just buy a boom arm without a light stand?

rico wrote:
At half the weight, I would not call the D600 about the same. The spec'ed payload at full extension is 15 lbs, or right at your limit. I feel more comfortable operating a boom at well under its limit. The D650 comes with a 15-lb iron counterweight ($50 value), while the D600 needs an addition c/w solution.

I've worked as both a union grip, and a union lighting tech in Hollywood. I trust Matthews. If MSE says 15 lbs it will probably hold more than 15 lbs. This is why you won't find look-a-likes in use by the studios and rental houses in Los Angeles.

Jun 23, 2021 at 04:11 PM
c.d.embrey
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Is it possible to just buy a boom arm without a light stand?

A baby drop-down pin is good to have!

https://photos-us.bazaarvoice.com/photo/2/cGhvdG86YmhwaG90b3ZpZGVv/ea59d2e6-4f92-5d13-a941-c0287d6fc448 Lots of companies make them.

Jun 23, 2021 at 04:27 PM
Silverwolf

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Is it possible to just buy a boom arm without a light stand?

c.d.embrey wrote:
I have a sister-in-law who looks like Barbara Streisand. But she's not as good a singer Looks can be deceiving.

Dec 22, 2022 at 04:42 AM
Silverwolf

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Is it possible to just buy a boom arm without a light stand?

mstein274 wrote:
Any comments on using the Avenger D600, looks to be about the same at half the cost.

How high and how far you want to extend the load will determine what you need.

Dec 22, 2022 at 04:43 AM
story_teller
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Is it possible to just buy a boom arm without a light stand?

Make sure whatever you choose is a solid solution. Think safety first and cost second. If it's too expensive, don't do it until you can afford something reasonable. The last thing you need is injury to the talent and/or loss of your equipment.

Dec 22, 2022 at 07:32 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.