New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

TTartisan 90mm F1.25 ($769)

Taylor Sherman
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · TTartisan 90mm F1.25 ($769)

I don't remember what the last lens I had that was over a kg was. Maybe the Sigma 150-500 lol.

It's a reasonable size for this lens, I'm just laughing because I'm tempted by the example photos but I would never actually take it with me anywhere.

Jun 08, 2021 at 12:28 AM
zhangyue
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · TTartisan 90mm F1.25 ($769)

Bokeh talk has to evaluate at same magnification ratio. Not count myself as 50 artisan fan, but for the same half body, artisan 50 has nice soft bokeh. Softer than most because of speed The problem for that lens is, once distance increase, the corner show issue, lots of issues and rendering also kind of collapse. (Though most lens does the same here)

Also not a fan of TTartisan mechanical build. The feature(adjust focus) mentioned in This thread just means a lower quality of mechanical tolerance. You can adjust one distance but screw other for rangefinder. With more weight of this 90mm, I’d pass it. If I have to get one, get 50. If I have to get one at this range, I will just get 85D (for bokeh) or maybe Zeiss planar if I rate color higher than bokeh.

And forget about ranger finder focus, I can focus 90 APO(which itself is a hit and miss) better than that 50 f0.95, I bet this one is DOA for rangefinder shooting unless you just shoot for “bokeh”

I use 50 f0.95 much more on SL2 and Z than M.

ftllens wrote:
I like it. Same weight as my Rokinon 85 1.2 EF tho. I wonder if there is similar coverage and performance on the GFX. I've been looking for a slightly smaller alternative with similar look but a manual aperture control, so maybe this will work? Their 50 0.95 was decent but poor resolution and the bokeh was lol. This one looks good.

Jun 08, 2021 at 12:31 AM
ftllens
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · TTartisan 90mm F1.25 ($769)

Yeah, thinking about it more I don't gain anything getting this 90 over the 85 1.2 except the physical size decrease (but not weight).

If anyone wants the Rokinon/Sammy 85 1.2s they are on sale rn lol

Bokeh on it:
DSCF3162 by Visual Novel, on Flickr

DSCF3160 by Visual Novel, on Flickr

DSCF3161 by Visual Novel, on Flickr

Jun 08, 2021 at 01:45 AM
derKoekje
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · TTartisan 90mm F1.25 ($769)

zhangyue wrote
Also not a fan of TTartisan mechanical build. The feature(adjust focus) mentioned in This thread just means a lower quality of mechanical tolerance. You can adjust one distance but screw other for rangefinder. With more weight of this 90mm, I’d pass it. If I have to get one, get 50. If I have to get one at this range, I will just get 85D (for bokeh) or maybe Zeiss planar if I rate color higher than bokeh.

And forget about ranger finder focus, I can focus 90 APO(which itself is a hit and miss) better than that 50 f0.95, I
...Show more

That’s one way to look at it I suppose. If you’re coming from expensive Leica lenses and are deeply ingrained into the ecosystem, have a Leica store nearby where you know the reps, get your camera and lenses regularly serviced, etc. I can see how this seems like they’re not confident in their ability to present you a well calibrated lens. However, I’d say being able to fine tune the calibration and make the adjustment yourself is fantastic and can save you from or delay you having to send the camera in until you’re in a period of downtime.

Jun 08, 2021 at 05:38 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · TTartisan 90mm F1.25 ($769)

derKoekje wrote:
Well price is a factor, it's about half the cost of the GM. It's also more universal, being able to be adapter to any system if you switch/add, including great coverage on medium format. Practical considerations aside the lens renders pretty ethereal which can be a great look, and you can stop down for a more 'standard' portrait look. Not to discount the GM or anything, I love that lens! It has fantastic rendering.

Valid points. The 85/1.4 GM can only be used on Sony or Nikon. (adapted)

There is no doubt the TTA 90 is a great value for what it is offering.
Currently the 85 GM can be bought used for ~$1k here at FM making the price disparity smaller but I think they are very different lenses even though their FL and maximum aperture are similar.

Jun 08, 2021 at 08:31 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · TTartisan 90mm F1.25 ($769)

zhangyue wrote:
Bokeh talk has to evaluate at same magnification ratio. Not count myself as 50 artisan fan, but for the same half body, artisan 50 has nice soft bokeh. Softer than most because of speed The problem for that lens is, once distance increase, the corner show issue, lots of issues and rendering also kind of collapse. (Though most lens does the same here)

Also not a fan of TTartisan mechanical build. The feature(adjust focus) mentioned in This thread just means a lower quality of mechanical tolerance. You can adjust one distance but screw other for rangefinder. With more weight of
...Show more

I'm getting a TTA 50/0.95 to try out. For me, it already has the maximum weight I'm willing to use on my Leica M bodies.
I've seen some samples and like the rendering at distances I will mostly use it for but the transition zone is not smooth so mid and long distance shots won't have very pleasant rendering (subjective). What you've described towards the corners is likely coma/astigmatism mixed with optical vignetting. Did you compare it to your Leica 50/0.95 to see differences there?

Jun 08, 2021 at 08:39 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · TTartisan 90mm F1.25 ($769)

Every TTArtisan/7Artisan lens I've used focuses past infinity even when correctly calibrated for the RF patch on any of my M cameras.
At the low price end I was ok with it, as you could still nail focus and for the price it was a worthy tradeoff.
But at these higher price points (50 .95, 90 1.25) I think it is not acceptable.

Jun 08, 2021 at 11:44 AM
zhangyue
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · TTartisan 90mm F1.25 ($769)

derKoekje wrote:
That’s one way to look at it I suppose. If you’re coming from expensive Leica lenses and are deeply ingrained into the ecosystem, have a Leica store nearby where you know the reps, get your camera and lenses regularly serviced, etc. I can see how this seems like they’re not confident in their ability to present you a well calibrated lens. However, I’d say being able to fine tune the calibration and make the adjustment yourself is fantastic and can save you from or delay you having to send the camera in until you’re in a period of downtime.

The statement is not true for most part. I had an issue with my 50lux ASPH that I send to DAG to do correct rangefinder adjust, and I had my 35mm lux preASPH v1 have focus optimized at f2.8, I send to DAG again adjust it for wide open. (around $100~$150 each time) Other than that, I haven't have any rangefinder issue especially with my M240 and M10p. Rangefinder shooting is mostly suitable for wide to standard focal, Leica glasses are expensive but build quality are indeed high and reliable. Rangefinder require certain precision standard, Leica mostly build above that. I haven't had a single brand new Leica glass decentered. I don't feel and haven't seen there is a need for constant service. I am sure most Leica M users with many year experience will agree with me.

The problem is not this approach (DIY adjust focus) itself but the lens quality we are talking about here and how workable this approach it is. My 50.95 brand new out of box severely back focused at around 1M. (think back, it actually might be focus all right at 2~3M, not sure), I adjust it for MFD back to rangefinder spec, then I realize at long and infinity, it start front focus. Since I mostly use this lens for family portrait, (I haven't think of any other use for it actually), I am fine with this. The problem is without extensive use, it start drift back again at MFD. The screw is tiny, I don't know how it mechanically hold inside. I adjust it again and decide wont bother it no matter what as I have decided no longer use it on M.

I can predict this will create more problems with 90mm at f1.25. This method may work for wide angle glass for much lower requirement for aiming focus due to DOF. However, I would be much prefer to have a high build quality lens in spec to start with.

Leica glasses are expensive, no deny for that. However, it is also the only one time payment for me as they keep their value exceptional compare to other system and I don't feel the urgency of upgrading in years. I start buying brand new with my financial situation permit because I am convinced with their quality meet my requirement that I don't want sell them. However, if you buy used, most likely you will make money if you hold them a little. Case in point, 50lux ASPH, I remember used price at around $2K to $2.5K two years ago, now, I see them mostly sold to 3K above, some reach 3.5K.

---------------------------------------------

Fred Miranda wrote:
I'm getting a TTA 50/0.95 to try out. For me, it already has the maximum weight I'm willing to use on my Leica M bodies.
I've seen some samples and like the rendering at distances I will mostly use it for but the transition zone is not smooth so mid and long distance shots won't have very pleasant rendering (subjective). What you've described towards the corners is likely coma/astigmatism mixed with optical vignetting. Did you compare it to your Leica 50/0.95 to see differences there?

Hi Fred, I never used 50 NOct. I buy this 0.95 lens mainly want to have a first hand experience on how 0.95 will work for me on M, the conclusion is: not for me. I will not using any version of Noct on M, the size and weight take the pleasure out, the biggest problem I have is focus. I believe some of them is from this particular lens as mentioned, it is not consistent cross distance, and then size, the last has the way I use rangefinder, I usually work very fast and it become part of intuition, but this lens force me slow down.

Then, back to rendering. At close distance, this lens is awesome that give a look nobody can (because of 0.95 at 50mm) If I have to have 0.95 lens, either this because cheap and relative small or Nikon 58mm because of performance. So, it stay with me. AS you point out, at mid to longer distance, everything start collapse, corner cat eye, weird transition look, busy bokeh with double edge, CA, swirl look...This is partially due to mechanical vignette and also many other aberrations you mentioned above. I believe Leica 0.95 is way better though it also has corner issue due to coverage and some CA issue. Leica f1 version is not problem free, maybe softer than this one, it will also have a cut in half cat eyes due to mount limitation but bokeh is more special and predictable. No matter what, I would still rate both Leica much higher than this one. Lenses are not just optics but a total package for me. The build alone throw this one out for me.

Leica M mount glass usually small for the speed, however, for rendering, it is the last mount I will choose. At one hand, the mount limit the light path, on the other, most M glasses put size and weight as top priority. (I have to say 50lux is outlier with good coverage and rendering) I found most of them are not class leading in rendering. I am very picky here now that I used so many glasses over the years. If I have to pick a lens for rendering, it better be really special and good.

85GM is one of best 85mm lenses in this focal. I give 85mm f1.4D as high for bokeh but not as good for color, the modern 105E is as good as gm with more blur.

For around the same price, I would pick a classic contax, Zeiss (85mm1.4 or 100mm f2) hand down before think about this 90mm Noct, but this is me and it is personal

Jun 08, 2021 at 12:13 PM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · TTartisan 90mm F1.25 ($769)

zhangyue wrote:
The statement is not true for most part. I had an issue with my 50lux ASPH that I send to DAG to do correct rangefinder adjust, and I had my 35mm lux preASPH v1 have focus optimized at f2.8, I send to DAG again adjust it for wide open. (around $100~$150 each time) Other than that, I haven't have any rangefinder issue especially with my M240 and M10p. Rangefinder shooting is mostly suitable for wide to standard focal, Leica glasses are expensive but build quality are indeed high and reliable. Rangefinder require certain precision standard, Leica mostly build above that.
...Show more

I really appreciate this post. And, the 100/2 MMJ is criminally underrated on 2021. Used to be beloved, but largely forgotten now

Jun 08, 2021 at 02:49 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · TTartisan 90mm F1.25 ($769)

The statement is not true for most part. I had an issue with my 50lux ASPH that I send to DAG to do correct rangefinder adjust, and I had my 35mm lux preASPH v1 have focus optimized at f2.8, I send to DAG again adjust it for wide open. (around $100~$150 each time) Other than that, I haven't have any rangefinder issue especially with my M240 and M10p. Rangefinder shooting is mostly suitable for wide to standard focal, Leica glasses are expensive but build quality are indeed high and reliable. Rangefinder require certain precision standard, Leica mostly build above that. I
...Show more

I agree!!!!

Jun 09, 2021 at 04:46 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mapgraphs
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · TTartisan 90mm F1.25 ($769)

derKoekje wrote:
... However, I’d say being able to fine tune the calibration and make the adjustment yourself is fantastic...

Adding the capability to adjust the rangefinder cam would seem to indicate that DJ Optical did their homework on the M mount. Fine tuning focus for 2.5m with two screws rather than needing to take the lens apart to add or remove shims is a welcome feature... After all, one can adjust the patch (both Horizontal and Vertical) without sending the body to a technician or back to Leica.

Jun 10, 2021 at 06:39 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · TTartisan 90mm F1.25 ($769)

zhangyue wrote:
The statement is not true for most part. I had an issue with my 50lux ASPH that I send to DAG to do correct rangefinder adjust, and I had my 35mm lux preASPH v1 have focus optimized at f2.8, I send to DAG again adjust it for wide open. (around $100~$150 each time) Other than that, I haven't have any rangefinder issue especially with my M240 and M10p. Rangefinder shooting is mostly suitable for wide to standard focal, Leica glasses are expensive but build quality are indeed high and reliable. Rangefinder require certain precision standard, Leica mostly build above that.
...Show more

Hi Micheal,
Thanks for your thoughts. I agree about the Sony 85/1.4. It's the best fast 85mm lens I've used to date. It's high resolution at f/2 but the magic happens wide open as imo, Sony achieved a perfect balance here. If they attempt to correct LoCa and SA any further, in a possible Mark II, things may start to look too perfect. (Like with their latest fast 35 and 50mm GM lenses). The secret is the smooth transition zone which gives images a pleasant rendering even if the subject is at mid/long distances. The same can be said for two other E-mount lenses I love: Sony 24/1.4 and Sigma 45/2.8i.

Now, in the case of the TTA 50/0.95: I received the lens yesterday and play with it quite a bit. My copy is well centered and sharp at center. Surprisingly the corners hold some resolution as well, something I was not expecting.
For those used to the Voigtlander 40 and 50mm f/1.2 Nokton lenses, this lens will feel very familiar. High LoCA (including purple fringing on axis) wide open, and noticeable SA at close distance. I'm using the Leica 6-bit code on it so vignetting and corner magenta shift is not much of an issue. My copy was not well calibrated but a 5-min tweak using TTA's tool, made the rangefinder in-tune with Live-view focus. I can nail the subject using the rangefinder even on the M10-R. So, no worries there.

So, continuing with rendering, it's spectacular is the subject is focused at 1-2m and that's the scenario I'm expecting to use more often. It is capable of isolating the subject like a fast telephoto would, but in a wide 50mm FL. I will compare it to the Leica 50/1.4 Lux when I have some time.

Regarding the Leica 50/0.95: I've analyzed images posted from this lens and have seen all the issues you dislike with that lens as well. There is swirling due to "optical vignetting" happening with both lenses. This is inevitable and part of their character, so expect cats-eye and swirling especially after 3m. There will be a deepening of DOF towards the corners, also caused by optical vignetting.
I've made a LR preset that pretty much removes the most egregious axial CA, so I will use that with images where this aberration is noticeable.

The build and functionality (including the ability to optimize focus) are great pluses for the TTA 50/0.95. It operates just like my other Leica lenses and I'm very happy with the tight tolerance from my copy and the fact that this complicated optical design does not have any mount tilt/swing at such wide aperture. The mount space for coding is also recessed (just like with Voigtlander and ZM lenses) so adding 6-coding is very easy and does correct most of the annoying issues in-camera.

I only have it for a day and so far love it. It's a character and special purpose lens and for the price I think it's a bargain. I will mostly use it on my M9 because this lens does not benefit from any higher resolution. It will also aid the M9 CCD's restriction in high ISO sensitivity.

Here is a quick grab when watching TV with my wife last night:
(my kid received a Covid second shot and was not feeling happy. Focus on my daughters' eyelashes)

LEICA M10-R    Noctilux-M 1:0.95/50 ASPH. lens    50mm    f/1.0    1/60s    500 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jun 10, 2021 at 10:34 AM
zhangyue
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · TTartisan 90mm F1.25 ($769)

Hi Fred, I agree with you about your initial impression. I had the same excitement as you do when I received this lens

The lens is definitely sharp enough for a 0.95 lens for its intended usage. And at close distance, I don't have lens blur background like it I do like its SA character at this distance. Sharpness in corner is decent, for this one, I only tested decenter but didnt pay much attention to infinity and corner performance as I know I am not gonna use it that way.

Leica M dont have option to enter manual lens selection for f.095 but SL2 will let you. I never thought about code the lens myself. Do you need dremel to do it? Which color you have? I like silver one better, the font is pure leica copy with silver version (black version use different font, not sure about latest copy) and the silver one's material finish has stainless steel finish which is very rare. I do like it for a occasionally used lens.

And I do have reservation about how long it can last as mentioned I have to adjust focus within a month of random usage. The crew is so tiny that I don't want put strong force to hold the cam and the lens elements are not small. Other thing I worry about is how this adjustment will affect performance. (as an engineer, this kind of thought always bug me, you don't create a solution for problem shouldn't be there to begin with) and find out it doesn't have consistent focus over distance definitely doesn't help.

However, for the price and intended usage, I don't and shouldn't complain. My response sounds negative but I do feel the need to share information about what happened to me and what potential buyer will/can get. Your impression might change as well over the time once you see more from it under different condition

AS for me, I have already decided keep it in my collection because I feel it worth every penny for me, especially at this focal. Even I bought a OEM leica Noct, the usage will be the same as this one that limited to close distance portrait. That will be a lot of money for the purpose

I am sharing a few images with this lens on SL2 and M to praise it now. They are all edited slightly to personal taste but still, it is a good tool for this application. I think it would be shine used at night which I haven't done given all the extra light and busy background will tame down during night fall. A noct it is.

untitled-2 by ZHNL, on Flickr

untitled-20 by ZHNL, on Flickr

untitled-5 by ZHNL, on Flickr

untitled-17 by ZHNL, on Flickr

untitled-10 by ZHNL, on Flickr

untitled-15 by ZHNL, on Flickr

untitled-5 by ZHNL, on Flickr

Jun 10, 2021 at 12:02 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · TTartisan 90mm F1.25 ($769)

zhangyue wrote:
Hi Fred, I agree with you about your initial impression. I had the same excitement as you do when I received this lens

The lens is definitely sharp enough for a 0.95 lens for its intended usage. And at close distance, I don't have lens blur background like it I do like its SA character at this distance. Sharpness in corner is decent, for this one, I only tested decenter but didnt pay much attention to infinity and corner performance as I know I am not gonna use it that way.

Leica M dont have option to enter manual lens
...Show more

Beautiful samples Michael!

The TTA 50/0.95 rear mount is recessed where the code goes, so no need to cut anything. Just use a template and paint the squares while/black.

For the Leica Noctilux, the code is 110001. I used my opaque Testor black and white paints and a small tip brush. If it wasn't for the golden mount, one would only need to paint the black squares and leave the white alone.
It takes about 5 minutes and both my M9 and M10-R recognized it. (I should start a thread on this)

I bought this one: (not sure if it's the new or old design)
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1570047-REG/ttartisan_a08b_50mm_f_0_95_lens_for.html

Jun 10, 2021 at 12:28 PM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · TTartisan 90mm F1.25 ($769)

zhangyue wrote:
You can adjust one distance but screw other for rangefinder.

If you're finding the lens doesn't RF focus accurately at all distances, then IIRC it's a problem with the slope of the RF cam on the lens. If it doesn't have a slope and is a flat ring that moves back and forth as the lens is focused, then DJ Optical have made it incorrectly.

Jun 10, 2021 at 05:04 PM
zhangyue
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · TTartisan 90mm F1.25 ($769)

I can easily tell the infinity is not correct but other distance is hard to qualify. You know that for rangefinder, once lens speed is up or focal length is up, it is more difficult to nail/judge focus

rscheffler wrote:
If you're finding the lens doesn't RF focus accurately at all distances, then IIRC it's a problem with the slope of the RF cam on the lens. If it doesn't have a slope and is a flat ring that moves back and forth as the lens is focused, then DJ Optical have made it incorrectly.

Jun 10, 2021 at 07:44 PM
mapgraphs
• •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · TTartisan 90mm F1.25 ($769)

rscheffler wrote:

My 9cm Elmar doesn't have a sloped cam, its a flat ring...

Jun 11, 2021 at 05:49 AM
serhan_
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · TTartisan 90mm F1.25 ($769)

TTArtisan M 90mm f/1.25 Evaluation Report, tested on A7R IV (copy and paste the link):
mobile01.com/topicdetail.php?f=254&t=6392068

Jun 18, 2021 at 05:56 PM
derKoekje
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · TTartisan 90mm F1.25 ($769)

Another review (in Chinese): https://post.smzdm.com/p/a078lekw/

Jun 19, 2021 at 08:38 AM
tzhang.wk

p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · TTartisan 90mm F1.25 ($769)

And another new review! The sample images from this review looks the best so far.

https://blog.interfoto.eu/2021/06/15/ttartisan-90mm-f1-25-m-in-the-realm-of-dreams/

Jun 25, 2021 at 08:21 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password