Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2021 · Profoto Air TTL-S triggers - mounting and sync issues?

Arka
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Profoto Air TTL-S triggers - mounting and sync issues?

I have two Profoto Air TTL wireless triggers, one of which is brand new. Neither one properly interfaces with either of my Sony cameras - a brand new A1 and a 6mo old A7R4. Both triggers mount and lock physically to the hotshoe of each camera, but functionality (e.g., TTL, HSS) is incomplete. I have to apply pressure to the adapter in order to get reliable sync and functionality, and once I release the pressure the camera no longer detects the trigger, or can only detect the most basic of triggers (e.g., sync only, no TTL or HSS).

Has anyone else encountered this problem? It's actually fairly new to me, but seriously impacts reliability. I have a hard time believing both of my relatively new cameras have bad hotshoes, or that both of my triggers (one of which is also brand new) has bad connectors.

May 06, 2021 at 01:33 AM
Jim Cowsert
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Profoto Air TTL-S triggers - mounting and sync issues?

I absolutely hate the Sony's hot shoe. Why couldn't they keep it simple like Canon and Nikon?

May 07, 2021 at 04:42 PM
jmmaher
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Profoto Air TTL-S triggers - mounting and sync issues?

Jim Cowsert wrote:
I absolutely hate the Sony's hot shoe. Why couldn't they keep it simple like Canon and Nikon?

While I 100% agree this problem seem to be a Profoto one. I have 3 Godox triggers and numerous other friends with Godox systems and none have encountered this type of problem with their Sony equipment.

May 07, 2021 at 06:15 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Profoto Air TTL-S triggers - mounting and sync issues?

jmmaher wrote:
While I 100% agree this problem seem to be a Profoto one. I have 3 Godox triggers and numerous other friends with Godox systems and none have encountered this type of problem with their Sony equipment.

You are exactly right. Turns out both of my triggers, including the brand new one, are duds. I updated all the relevant firmware and just went to a local camera store to discover that one of their brand-new-in-box triggers worked fine. So I bought that one and am getting the there two serviced. What nonsense.

Thanks for the feedback though. I agree that this interface could definitely benefit from a better design.

May 12, 2021 at 08:04 PM
StanOPhoto
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Profoto Air TTL-S triggers - mounting and sync issues?

I've had similar issues while switching to Profoto, but I've discovered the triggers and A1x speedlights need a little more force to mount than say Godox or Elinchrom did. You also have to turn Wireless Flash On in the menu system for Profoto.

Jun 03, 2021 at 04:22 PM
story_teller
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Profoto Air TTL-S triggers - mounting and sync issues?

StanOPhoto wrote:
I've had similar issues while switching to Profoto, but I've discovered the triggers and A1x speedlights need a little more force to mount than say Godox or Elinchrom did. You also have to turn Wireless Flash On in the menu system for Profoto.

Can you elaborate on your last sentence? I have two Air TTL-N triggers used with B1's, A1X's and D2's and have never needed to turn wireless on. I turn the remote on and have instant communication with the strobes.

Jun 05, 2021 at 06:00 AM
StanOPhoto
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Profoto Air TTL-S triggers - mounting and sync issues?

story_teller wrote:
Can you elaborate on your last sentence? I have two Air TTL-N triggers used with B1's, A1X's and D2's and have never needed to turn wireless on. I turn the remote on and have instant communication with the strobes.

You're using Nikon, not Sony, you won't understand

Seriously though, the Sony Multi-interface hotshoe has some quirks, including having to push extra hard to seat the contacts, turning on wireless flash setting in the menu (Sony), and adjusting first curtain sync or second curtain sync in the menu as well (this is done on flash or controller for other camera brands).

I hope that helps!

Jun 06, 2021 at 02:50 AM
StanOPhoto
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Profoto Air TTL-S triggers - mounting and sync issues?

Jim Cowsert wrote:

Supposedly Canon is following Sony with the multi-interface hotshot, starting with the R3.

Jun 06, 2021 at 02:52 AM
story_teller
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Profoto Air TTL-S triggers - mounting and sync issues?

"I hope that helps!"

Thanks, it does. It's a curiosity why Profoto designed the controller software interface so differently on the Sony version. Oh well, I hope Profoto, Sony, whoever, get it worked out for the Sony users.

Jun 06, 2021 at 06:30 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.