Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2              end

Archive 2021 · Sharpness and Rendering: Sony 40/2.5 vs Sigma 35/2?

zeitlos
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Sharpness and Rendering: Sony 40/2.5 vs Sigma 35/2?

Great pictures, a very interesting explanation. Thank you for sharing.
Maybe you have mentioned it before, but I assume that the Batis 40 does a good job in this regard, does it?
Which lens did you use for these pictures? 35 1.4 GM? Was the last picture taken at f1.4 then?

Apr 03, 2024 at 03:53 AM
chiron
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Sharpness and Rendering: Sony 40/2.5 vs Sigma 35/2?

newdom wrote:
If your focus is on taking closeup shots of banknotes wide open, then yes agreed. You have an obsession/priority on maximum magnification/sharpness wide open as close up as the lens will allow as you repeat this over and over on different lens threads and seem to judge a lens capability based on this one criteria. But that is just one small aspect of a lens performance, and it is clear that Sigma has up until very recently deliberately deprioritised closeup sharpness in favour of wider performance characteristics of the lens. If this is your priority, you're much better off with
...Show more

Fred quite liked the Sigma 35/2.0 i series lens. He called it "the lens Sony owners have been waiting for." Here is a link to his long and very favorable review:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1686080

Apr 03, 2024 at 07:25 AM
chiron
• • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Sharpness and Rendering: Sony 40/2.5 vs Sigma 35/2?

newdom wrote:
If your focus is on taking closeup shots of banknotes wide open, then yes agreed. You have an obsession/priority on maximum magnification/sharpness wide open as close up as the lens will allow as you repeat this over and over on different lens threads and seem to judge a lens capability based on this one criteria. But that is just one small aspect of a lens performance, and it is clear that Sigma has up until very recently deliberately deprioritised closeup sharpness in favour of wider performance characteristics of the lens. If this is your priority, you're much better off with
...Show more

There is also this very interesting blind test of 35mm lenses by @nehemiahphoto in which the Sigma 35 i did extremely well, being the most picked for various qualities in the blind testing.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1652099/

Apr 03, 2024 at 07:47 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Sharpness and Rendering: Sony 40/2.5 vs Sigma 35/2?

It might be worth rereading this exchange that aCuria and I had a couple of years ago here. I think there can be a good case made for the Sigma 35 f/2 i-series lens, but you have to value what it brings to the table over its weaknesses. Not everyone does. Certainly aCuria doesn't and for what is important to him I think that makes sense, but I think it is equally true that some one else who places a higher value on a different set of lens characteristics (particularly a certain type of bokeh) then the Sigma could make a lot of sense.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1787056/2&year=2022

Apr 03, 2024 at 07:50 AM
zeitlos
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Sharpness and Rendering: Sony 40/2.5 vs Sigma 35/2?

Steve Spencer wrote:
It might be worth rereading this exchange that aCuria and I had a couple of years ago here. I think there can be a good case made for the Sigma 35 f/2 i-series lens, but you have to value what it brings to the table over its weaknesses. Not everyone does. Certainly aCuria doesn't and for what is important to him I think that makes sense, but I think it is equally true that some one else who places a higher value on a different set of lens characteristics (particularly a certain type of bokeh) then the Sigma could
...Show more

Thank you! I will read through it. And yes, I absolutely agree. I can see good reasons on both sides. Depends on your personal preferences. I can say that he made me rethink my choice (Batis 40) vs. the 35 GM again. I mean, it's true, why would one not make use of all the benefits of a prime (larger maximum aperture) when shooting primes. But then again, I have to decide what's most important to me: maximum aperture or weight...

But there still is the Tamron 20-40 on my mind. That might solve the weight issue. By the way: due to the promotion of a dealer I was able to order the Batis for 899,- Euro. The Sigma 35 2.0 is 599. So "only" 300 Euro difference. But still, the Sigma is considerably smaller in size.

Edited on Apr 03, 2024 at 08:14 AM · View previous versions

Apr 03, 2024 at 07:55 AM
j4nu
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Sharpness and Rendering: Sony 40/2.5 vs Sigma 35/2?

zeitlos wrote:
Great pictures, a very interesting explanation.

Except it's untrue, because those shots would look good on Sigma as well (at least at the size they are presented here).
You really need to shoot wide open close to MFD and pixel peep to notice the drop in sharpness/contrast.
I had 35i briefly before 35GM was announced and noticed spherical aberrations when shot in such conditions but it would never be the deciding factor for me.
Because I don't use a 35mm with mediocre magnification ratio to shoot detail wide open at MFD (and the people you shoot won't mind).
But if you do, then indeed it's not a lens for your ...

Apr 03, 2024 at 08:11 AM
Matt Kerby
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Sharpness and Rendering: Sony 40/2.5 vs Sigma 35/2?

I liked the Sigma, but it is heavier than you might think by looking at it. There's a lot of glass and metal packed into that little lens. The 40G on the other hand is 1/2 the weight, it's sharper and just by feel I'd say AF is faster too. To me, ideal for travel, which is why I have one of these little guys.
I actually think any of the choices given in this thread would make a great standard wide angle lens for anyone. Just depends on how you'll use it.

Apr 03, 2024 at 08:27 AM
catacore
• •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Sharpness and Rendering: Sony 40/2.5 vs Sigma 35/2?

Yes, the Sigma 35i would be the max size I would consider to pair to a Sony "c" body, but then I see here people mentioning the Batis lenses to be paired with the "c" type of cameras, so YMMV.

Apr 03, 2024 at 03:16 PM
zeitlos
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Sharpness and Rendering: Sony 40/2.5 vs Sigma 35/2?

The Batis 40 was absolutely perfect on an A7III in terms of weight distribution. I would also be interested in hearing how it works on a “C“ body. Of course, size might be a bit of an issue

Apr 03, 2024 at 03:29 PM
catacore
• •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Sharpness and Rendering: Sony 40/2.5 vs Sigma 35/2?

Ha, that was one of my thoughts when I saw the 50/1.4GM lens (pictured) paired with the A7Cii/r. That lens is too big for that camera, or the other way around (the camera is too small for that lens). Then the Batis 40 or 85 are almost the same size as the 50/1.4GM.

Having said that, I also shot the 50/1.2GM with my A7c, but just occasionally - still far from a good fit.

Apr 03, 2024 at 03:58 PM
zeitlos
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Sharpness and Rendering: Sony 40/2.5 vs Sigma 35/2?

I see, but don‘t forget that the 50mm 1.4 GM is 516 g, the 50/1.2 GM (which I also have and adore) is 778 g. The Batis 40 is only 361 g.

But I agree, in terms of its size it doesn‘t look ideal. But it might still handle well.

Apr 03, 2024 at 04:03 PM
StoneCrop
• •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Sharpness and Rendering: Sony 40/2.5 vs Sigma 35/2?

I had the 40g at the same time as the Batis 40, Nokton 40, and Samyang 45. The 40g delivered the goods very well on a gimbal, and could have been a good travel lens. The images out took never inspired me though, so usually when I picked lenses to use I ended up picking something else. But if it were my only lens I would just shoot with it and enjoy. I ended up selling it and the Batis (whose rendering did actually inspire me, but whose auto focus could sometimes freak out), and I kept the samyang for light and cheap and small, and the nokton for rendering and character and speed. Never tried the sigma I series. To me it sounds like your use would be better off with the 40g, as a more modern take on the 35 zony pancake. Or the Samyang 45 (or 35 maybe? I haven't tried that one, but I also like the amazingly lightweight 75). Why go to all the trouble of the metal tank sigma build if you're going for a pancake experience? The differences in the image quality between the two will likely be less than the difference you'll feel in your hand. For my travel now I'd probably go for a zoom so I really don't see the point in primes that are still fairly heavy /large and fairly close to the aperture of a zoom.

Apr 04, 2024 at 02:49 AM
aCuria
• • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Sharpness and Rendering: Sony 40/2.5 vs Sigma 35/2?

j4nu wrote:
Except it's untrue, because those shots would look good on Sigma as well (at least at the size they are presented here).
You really need to shoot wide open close to MFD and pixel peep to notice the drop in sharpness/contrast.
I had 35i briefly before 35GM was announced and noticed spherical aberrations when shot in such conditions but it would never be the deciding factor for me.
Because I don't use a 35mm with mediocre magnification ratio to shoot detail wide open at MFD (and the people you shoot won't mind).
But if you do, then indeed it's not a lens for your
...Show more

In situations where I do not feel compelled to open up the aperture, I probably would have kept a 16-35 / 24-70 lens on the camera, I would not have taken the time to switch to a 35mm prime.

For shots where i want more bokeh it is logical to place my subject closer to the camera. Having to stop down in these situations seems counter productive.

With that being said, I fully acknowledge that people possess diverse shooting styles, and consequently, they prioritize different attributes in their lenses.

Apr 08, 2024 at 09:27 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.