New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2021 · Good sunrise/sunset spots near Phoenix

apotdar

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Good sunrise/sunset spots near Phoenix

Hi,

Any good sunrise/sunset spots within an hour’s drive from Phoenix ?

Regards

Apr 28, 2021 at 11:46 PM
AZHeaven
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Good sunrise/sunset spots near Phoenix

Well...Sunset Point Rest Area north of Phoenix off the 17. The sun sets over the Bradshaw Mts. And the Superstition Mt. area. That's the two that come to my mind at the moment. I'm sure others will chime in that live in the Phoenix area.

Apr 29, 2021 at 08:49 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Good sunrise/sunset spots near Phoenix

Yes, Superstition Mountains is wonderful for sunset as the setting sun puts a glow onto the mountains.

Apr 29, 2021 at 08:06 PM
GroovyGeek
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Good sunrise/sunset spots near Phoenix

Dutchman, Three Sisters, Bulldog Canyon are all good at sunset but also very popular. Weavers Needle can be good at sunrise under the right conditions but it is too long a hike for my taste to do in the morning so I would just camp up there overnight. It is probably way too hot to do now. Aravaipa Cyn is supposedly very nice but you need a permit, have never done it. Sedona is a relatively short drive North.

Apr 30, 2021 at 03:12 AM
apotdar

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Good sunrise/sunset spots near Phoenix

Thanks for the response, everyone. I am new to this area so thanks for the suggestions. BTW, Is it safe to go for sunrise shoot in desert give that it’s a rattlesnake season ?

May 08, 2021 at 10:46 AM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Good sunrise/sunset spots near Phoenix

apotdar wrote:
BTW, Is it safe to go for sunrise shoot in desert give that it’s a rattlesnake season ?

It's ALWAYS snake season in Aridzona!
Of course it's safe. Just look before you step or reach and you'll be fine. Bring a flashlight and use it! If you see a snake, just go leave it some space. Don't freak out. Don't throw rocks at the poor thing. If it's on a trail detour around (keeping an eye out for his friends!) The creatures are not 'aggressive' in any way and want only not to be stepped on or attacked. On very rare occasions they may get a bit confused attempt to flee toward you if they see your shadow as a sheltered area. Step back 15 feet and the snake will re-route to another bush or rock.

The vast majority of snakes hikers encounter go unnoticed.

No, they do not attack or chase people!

May 09, 2021 at 04:47 PM
BrianC inAZ

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Good sunrise/sunset spots near Phoenix

apotdar wrote:
Thanks for the response, everyone. I am new to this area so thanks for the suggestions. BTW, Is it safe to go for sunrise shoot in desert give that it’s a rattlesnake season ?
Most places are fairly safe after dark. But even during the daytime snakes can be active.

Peralta trailhead is the most dangerous place I've ever hiked after dark; reminded me of the Indiana Jones movie where he is in the snake pit. I won't leave the parking area after sunset. There are plenty of good observation points that don't require hiking in.

Jul 05, 2021 at 12:03 AM
AZHeaven
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Good sunrise/sunset spots near Phoenix

apotdar wrote:

When it gets hot, even here in the Prescott area, snakes will be in shaded areas away from direct sun. Just remember that they would rather be ignored and left alone. Just keep your eyes peeled for them.

Also, if you get to the Prescott area, Watson Lake is a nice spot for sunset photos. There is some water left in the lake...smh..

Jul 05, 2021 at 03:46 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.