Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              11      
       13       14       15       end

Pre-order: Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG DN Art ($899)

martini_shooter

Upload & Sell: Off
p.12 #1 · p.12 #1 · Pre-order: Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG DN Art ($899)

The Sigma looks like a great option. There’s now an interesting matrix of things to prioritize such as sharpness, CA, rendering, autofocus speed, weight and cost.

For me, the the minimal bulk of the GM is extremely appealing. I enjoy the incredible sharpness, the practically nonexistent CA, the superb autofocus, and even the feel of the aperture ring.

For others, I’m sure the lovely smooth rendering of the Sigma and the much lower price more than make up for other minor compromises.

Apr 28, 2021 at 11:59 AM
Hodie
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.12 #2 · p.12 #2 · Pre-order: Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG DN Art ($899)

nehemiahphoto wrote:
I don’t see “bashing” here—lots of good options being intelligent discussed and differentiated. This is largely why FM is so valuable.

I agree. Bad word choice.

Apr 28, 2021 at 12:04 PM
scalanc2
• • •
p.12 #3 · p.12 #3 · Pre-order: Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG DN Art ($899)

Fred Miranda wrote:
Great samples from the video above. Sharpness apart, something is revealing though.

Shooting with 35mm lenses with a subject at 5-6m, the transition zone becomes part of the OOF background and there is less blur to mask outlining/double-lining or anything that makes rendering appear harsher.

Here we can see that the new Sigma 35/1.4 DG DN has a smoother transition zone compared to the GM. Sigma is paying attention to this in exchange for some resolution/contrast while Sony is going for sheer resolution with their recent optical designs.

Fully agree. Gm 35 is a great lens. But bokeh/transitions never convinced me.
If you look at the slider images of the guy for sure the GM is sharper but the GM bokeh is quite nervous while Sigma 1.4 is smoother.

Apr 28, 2021 at 12:14 PM
Mystik
• • •
p.12 #4 · p.12 #4 · Pre-order: Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG DN Art ($899)

nehemiahphoto wrote:
I don’t see “bashing” here—lots of good options being intelligent discussed and differentiated. This is largely why FM is so valuable.

I mean if you spend $900-$1,500 on a lens, it helps to be informed and do some research. Ensures that you can make the choice that minimizes the compromises and maximizes value depending on what set of criteria you prioritize. It's hard to get a real gauge on gear with reviewers in the age of click-bait, and social media influencers.

Apr 28, 2021 at 12:33 PM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.12 #5 · p.12 #5 · Pre-order: Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG DN Art ($899)

j4nu wrote:
Hey, that was mean - I love my crops (especially after moving from 24 mpix) .
Seriously though, I think it's clear by now that that Sony prioritized sharpness over smoothness.
Horses for courses though, less dreamy bokeh, but with nearly HDR colors and contrast. So, the more I shoot the more I see how different GM and Bigma are - worst part I like both (for different reasons, not only IQ-wise).

Regarding the new Sigma, we need someone reliable to do the rendering test as the reviews so far are all over the place (with Magic, the focus was off
...Show more

I actually have a rendering test planned

But I will wait till this new Sigma is available. By then lots of people probably won’t care, but for me I will be completing something of a long-standing project. And I always like to have an objective reference. This will be a diverse set of 35mm’s.

Apr 28, 2021 at 12:50 PM
j4nu
• • • •
p.12 #6 · p.12 #6 · Pre-order: Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG DN Art ($899)

Good luck! I'm done with comparisons for now .

nehemiahphoto wrote:
I actually have a rendering test planned

But I will wait till this new Sigma is available. By then lots of people probably won’t care, but for me I will be completing something of a long-standing project. And I always like to have an objective reference. This will be a diverse set of 35mm’s.

Apr 28, 2021 at 01:15 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.12 #7 · p.12 #7 · Pre-order: Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG DN Art ($899)

Curious why does design still look like it has extension tube built-in?

Good value, but to me the Sony is still worth the extra coin for the linear drive AF, much better max magnification and lower weight. Also ghosting is pretty bad with the Sigma. Still I'm loving how well my EF mount Tamron SP 35 f/1.8 performs on the A7RIII and it also does 0.4:1. I'm torn between the 35 GM and 50 f/1.2 GM.

Apr 28, 2021 at 08:38 PM
scalanc2
• • •
p.12 #8 · p.12 #8 · Pre-order: Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG DN Art ($899)

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Curious why does design still look like it has extension tube built-in?

Good value, but to me the Sony is still worth the extra coin for the linear drive AF, much better max magnification and lower weight. Also ghosting is pretty bad with the Sigma. Still I'm loving how well my EF mount Tamron SP 35 f/1.8 performs on the A7RIII and it also does 0.4:1. I'm torn between the 35 GM and 50 f/1.2 GM.

Simply because to hold the camera you have tu make use of your fingers.

Apr 29, 2021 at 02:14 AM
photosbyjaron
• •
p.12 #9 · p.12 #9 · Pre-order: Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG DN Art ($899)

I didn't see Marc Alhadeff's review posted here already, so my apologies if it was and I missed it.

https://sonyalpha.blog/2021/04/27/sigma-35mm-f1-4-dg-dn/

It certainly seems like the Sigma 35DN Art is a steal in countries where it is half the price of the GM and still a great bargain elsewhere for those not willing or wanting to fork over the extra $500 for just a bit more resolution, AF performance, and flare resistance. I would imagine that for wedding photographers already using the Sigma 85DN, the new Sigma 35DN Art will perfectly compliment it with the same Sigma colors and similar rendering style. (My wife and I took some shots last weekend for an outdoor brand, and she had to spend a bit of extra time in post to get the white balance from the 85DN and 35GM to match.)

Apr 29, 2021 at 04:15 PM
j4nu
• • • •
p.12 #10 · p.12 #10 · Pre-order: Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG DN Art ($899)

photosbyjaron wrote:
I didn't see Marc Alhadeff's review posted here already, so my apologies if it was and I missed it.

https://sonyalpha.blog/2021/04/27/sigma-35mm-f1-4-dg-dn/

It certainly seems like the Sigma 35DN Art is a steal in countries where it is half the price of the GM and still a great bargain elsewhere for those not willing or wanting to fork over the extra $500 for just a bit more resolution, AF performance, and flare resistance. I would imagine that for wedding photographers already using the Sigma 85DN, the new Sigma 35DN Art will perfectly compliment it with the same Sigma colors and similar rendering style.
...Show more

I still can't make up my mind about the new Sigma with the reviews being all over the place, Gordon Laing being on one end of the spectrum and Dustin Abbott on the other. Marc's review fits somewhere in-between, closer to Dustin's I guess.
I went through some pictures and I still can't decide whether it's closer to the GM or the Bigma in rendering...

Apr 29, 2021 at 04:27 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

photosbyjaron
• •
p.12 #11 · p.12 #11 · Pre-order: Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG DN Art ($899)

j4nu wrote:
I still can't make up my mind about the new Sigma with the reviews being all over the place, Gordon Laing being on one end of the spectrum and Dustin Abbott on the other. Marc's review fits somewhere in-between, closer to Dustin's I guess.
I went through some pictures and I still can't decide whether it's closer to the GM or the Bigma in rendering...

All three lenses appear to be phenomenal with minor trade-offs here or there. The Sigma 1.2 trades off size and weight. The GM trades off price. The Sigma 1.4 seems to sacrifice overall sharpness for better bokeh and split the other trade-offs down the middle. At this point, the consumer can't lose with any of them (or the other cheaper options like the Sigma f/2 or Samyang f/1.8 for that matter). Either way, I'll be delighted to stay with the GM if I can find a nicely centered copy. Based on Fred's tests showing the GM flirting with 35 APO level resolution, it seems to perfectly fill the role I want of sharp resolution for landscape, small size for general purpose, and accurate AF for portraits. And when I don't want bitingly sharp, contrasty images, I can always throw on a diffusion filter. Also, I may have been more tempted to get the Sigma and apply the savings towards another lens if I had room in my bag for another lens, but my bag literally cannot fit another lens in it without ditching something else, and I love my current bag too much to find a different one.

Apr 29, 2021 at 04:47 PM
robert614
• • •
p.12 #12 · p.12 #12 · Pre-order: Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG DN Art ($899)

Not sure if this has been posted already.

A little comparison between the old Sigma 35mm f1.4 and the new one.

Apr 29, 2021 at 09:22 PM
NickJL

p.12 #13 · p.12 #13 · Pre-order: Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG DN Art ($899)

I think the Sigma art lenses are incredibly good value for the price. For the extra $$$, the GM lenses provide more beautiful rendering and colors.

I've used Sigma art lenses professionally for the past few years and they do the job well, but I'd say the rendering is a little sterile and boring, compared to GM lenses (and EF L & RF lenses).

Apr 30, 2021 at 02:21 AM
nicephore
• •
p.12 #14 · p.12 #14 · Pre-order: Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG DN Art ($899)

A good comparison between Sigma 35 mm f1.4 Art, Sony 35 f1.4 GM, Zeiss 35 f1.4, Sigma 35 mm f1.2 and f2.
Lots of aspects are covered : sharpness wide open & at f8, distorsion, sunstars, flare resistance, loca, bokeh balls, AF reactivity & tracking, focus breathing ...
You can download samples to make up your mind (although it's pretty clear with the video) :

As a french native, I really enjoy watching his videos (very up-to-the-point and pragmatic).

Apr 30, 2021 at 03:33 PM
Ayoul
• •
p.12 #15 · p.12 #15 · Pre-order: Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG DN Art ($899)

nicephore wrote:
A good comparison between Sigma 35 mm f1.4 Art, Sony 35 f1.4 GM, Zeiss 35 f1.4, Sigma 35 mm f1.2 and f2.
Lots of aspects are covered : sharpness wide open & at f8, distorsion, sunstars, flare resistance, loca, bokeh balls, AF reactivity & tracking, focus breathing ...
You can download samples to make up your mind (although it's pretty clear with the video) :

As a french native, I really enjoy watching his videos (very up-to-the-point and pragmatic).

I agree with you (as a french guy myself). He goes straight to the point and it's informative. It's not Fred or Phillip Reeve but indeed he goes quickly where it matters. One of the few that I can watch without getting annoyed.

Apr 30, 2021 at 04:38 PM
j4nu
• • • •
p.12 #16 · p.12 #16 · Pre-order: Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG DN Art ($899)

Ayoul wrote:
I agree with you (as a french guy myself). He goes straight to the point and it's informative. It's not Fred or Phillip Reeve but indeed he goes quickly where it matters. One of the few that I can watch without getting annoyed.

Indeed, it's a very concise, informative video, even for a french non-speaker . The comparison photos are also very nice (though all are pretty close) and the GM compared to others seems sharper than I'd expect. Also, damn the day I learned about transition zones here on FMF, I really hope I could erase that knowledge...

Apr 30, 2021 at 05:00 PM
ramesesthe2nd
• • •
p.12 #17 · p.12 #17 · Pre-order: Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG DN Art ($899)

Another 35mm comparison, if you haven't watched enough already:

Apr 30, 2021 at 05:30 PM
Ummon

p.12 #18 · p.12 #18 · Pre-order: Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG DN Art ($899)

Thanks for the link nicephore - this guy indeed seems really informative

Apr 30, 2021 at 05:55 PM
Mystik
• • •
p.12 #19 · p.12 #19 · Pre-order: Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG DN Art ($899)

NickJL wrote:
I think the Sigma art lenses are incredibly good value for the price. For the extra $$$, the GM lenses provide more beautiful rendering and colors.

I've used Sigma art lenses professionally for the past few years and they do the job well, but I'd say the rendering is a little sterile and boring, compared to GM lenses (and EF L & RF lenses).

The old art lenses originally made for dslr were known to be sterile and kind of harsh. The native e-mount lenses render really nicely

Apr 30, 2021 at 06:27 PM
Josegulias
• •
p.12 #20 · p.12 #20 · Pre-order: Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG DN Art ($899)

Any idea when Sigma starts shipping orders?

May 05, 2021 at 01:32 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password