Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              10      
       12       end

Archive 2021 · Diffusion Filters! (or Effect Filters in general)

chiron
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.11 #1 · p.11 #1 · Diffusion Filters! (or Effect Filters in general)

Maknof wrote:
You hit the point and made nice comparison shots. Pearlescent have a stronger glow effect and tends to lower contrast in larger areas and soften more in the focus zone. Glimmerglass is less softening, weaker in glow and keeping more fine details but they keep strenght in specular highlights and out of focus areas.

Here is another set of comparisons with a strong single light source close to the camera and with high contrast. The differences among the filters and between the Pearlescent and the Glimmer may be more easily seen in this more extreme framing. What I said above still holds: the Pearlescent are slightly stronger (at the chosen strengths), slightly warmer in a way that detracts from colors, and have a touch more diffusion or softening to them. I also included a shot with no filters as a baseline. It is the last image in the sequence.

With the Pearlescent in comparison to the GlimmerGlass the halation around a bright light source is stronger and tends to obscure details in or near the light source. The Pearlescent also tends to spread flare more fully throughout the image.

And as Maknof wrote of the prior samples: "Pearlescent have a stronger glow effect and tends to lower contrast in larger areas and soften more in the focus zone. Glimmerglass is less softening, weaker in glow and keeping more fine details but they keep strength in specular highlights and out of focus areas."

© chiron 2022

Pearlescent One-Half

© chiron 2022

Pearlescent One

© chiron 2022

GlimmerGlass 1

© chiron 2022

GlimmerGlass 3

© chiron 2022

No Filter

Jul 26, 2022 at 09:10 PM
fuzzykeys
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.11 #2 · p.11 #2 · Diffusion Filters! (or Effect Filters in general)

I shoot Black Pro Mists a LOT these days (1/4 and 1/2). Love em, but I almost always want a little more halation AND a little more contrast OOC. Anything else folks might recommend?

Jul 27, 2022 at 12:09 AM
Maknof
• •
p.11 #3 · p.11 #3 · Diffusion Filters! (or Effect Filters in general)

fuzzykeys wrote:
I shoot Black Pro Mists a LOT these days (1/4 and 1/2). Love em, but I almost always want a little more halation AND a little more contrast OOC. Anything else folks might recommend?

The stronger in halation are the pro-mist (not black).
Halation always reduce contrast.
In photo a strong post processing is destructive on effects, and they are often reviewed for video, after grading.
You can try to make a custom jpeg setting, giving contrast, disable the presets that increase dinamic range opening shadows(DRO for SONY, IDR for Leica), keep an underexposure of 1/3.

The more contrasty are the Black Satin, nice glow but halation is weak, even on black Satin 3.

Jul 27, 2022 at 04:32 AM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.11 #4 · p.11 #4 · Diffusion Filters! (or Effect Filters in general)

This is good news--I actually tried to buy a 39mm BPM a couple times for RF lenses and was bummed Tiffen didn't produce them. This is no longer the case:

https://www.dpreview.com/news/3053526049/tiffen-adds-39mm-filters-to-its-uv-cp-and-black-pro-mist-filter-lineups

Aug 17, 2022 at 01:32 PM
ftllens
• • •
p.11 #5 · p.11 #5 · Diffusion Filters! (or Effect Filters in general)

fuzzykeys wrote:

Just use Glimmerglass 1, literally everyone in LA replaced BPM with it nowadays. I use it on the GF lenses for perfect rounding and halation.

Aug 17, 2022 at 01:56 PM
SNJOps
• •
p.11 #6 · p.11 #6 · Diffusion Filters! (or Effect Filters in general)

One of my recent images with a Black Pro Mist 1/2

Model - Chloe
A7RIV + 35mm f1.4 GM
Rotolight NEO 3

Aug 17, 2022 at 04:27 PM
Parallaxed

p.11 #7 · p.11 #7 · Diffusion Filters! (or Effect Filters in general)

What are you using the filters for? Aesthetically?

I've enjoyed using Black Pro Mist (1/4), especially as many of my relatives are older now (they appreciate it). It also gives a better low contrast image than choosing "soft shadow" when using modern lenses on my Fuji X-T1*.

But I find just using vintage glass, without filter gives a better effect to soften skin and a nicer image overall. e.g. some Nikon early '80s glass is low contrast and flattering on the skin.

For night photos, Black ProMist looks great. I don't have a lens that blooms the highlights that way. But I prefer it on wider shots rather than portraits.

*Just realised this is the Sony forum.

Aug 17, 2022 at 04:39 PM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.11 #8 · p.11 #8 · Diffusion Filters! (or Effect Filters in general)

Parallaxed wrote:
...*Just realised this is the Sony forum.

I think this thread is cross-posted to Alt.

Sep 24, 2022 at 09:26 AM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.11 #9 · p.11 #9 · Diffusion Filters! (or Effect Filters in general)

Moment Cinebloom 5%

Still getting a feel for how this compares to the BPM 1/4.

LEICA Q2    SUMMILUX 1:1.7/28 ASPH. lens    28mm    f/2.8    1/3200s    100 ISO    +0.3 EV  

Sep 24, 2022 at 09:28 AM
Ihmemies2

p.11 #10 · p.11 #10 · Diffusion Filters! (or Effect Filters in general)

I have BPM 1 and it is quite over the top.

(larger files at https://hakkarainen.kuvat.fi/kuvat/2022/09-24+-+Managerin+22v+vuosijuhlat/ )

1/2 or 1/4 would be a good addition to get less effect.

Sep 25, 2022 at 11:06 AM
trainerKEN
• •
p.11 #11 · p.11 #11 · Diffusion Filters! (or Effect Filters in general)

Fujifilm X100V + Cinebloom 20

Oct 29, 2022 at 10:23 PM
ArchnemeSwiss
• •
p.11 #12 · p.11 #12 · Diffusion Filters! (or Effect Filters in general)

Does anyone know the approximate "conversion" between Tiffen Black Pro Mist and Glimmer Glass? Are the strengths (i.e., 1/8 1/4 etc) similar in effect even though the ultimate look is different?

Oct 31, 2022 at 11:39 AM
Maknof
• •
p.11 #13 · p.11 #13 · Diffusion Filters! (or Effect Filters in general)

ArchnemeSwiss wrote:
Does anyone know the approximate "conversion" between Tiffen Black Pro Mist and Glimmer Glass? Are the strengths (i.e., 1/8 1/4 etc) similar in effect even though the ultimate look is different?

Nope they are on different scale.
About Halo, GG 2 have the amount of BPM 1/8

Nov 01, 2022 at 03:29 PM
ArchnemeSwiss
• •
p.11 #14 · p.11 #14 · Diffusion Filters! (or Effect Filters in general)

Maknof wrote:
Nope they are on different scale.
About Halo, GG 2 have the amount of BPM 1/8

Oh wow, that is REALLY different. So it looks like I need a GG 3 to get a look equivalent to a BPM 1/4? I've even used a BPM 1/2 before. Do you have any other diffusion filters you like as much as the GG? I prefer the higher contrast but more visible halation like on the GG.

Nov 01, 2022 at 03:58 PM
Maknof
• •
p.11 #15 · p.11 #15 · Diffusion Filters! (or Effect Filters in general)

ArchnemeSwiss wrote:
Oh wow, that is REALLY different. So it looks like I need a GG 3 to get a look equivalent to a BPM 1/4? I've even used a BPM 1/2 before. Do you have any other diffusion filters you like as much as the GG? I prefer the higher contrast but more visible halation like on the GG.

Yes glimmerglass is a Low halo, with resolution decrease and general contrast keeping (cause low halation), even in light environment. A typical "Beauty/dreamy look"
Pro Mist ( in their various types) are suited for controlled light / dark environment, cause with lot of light the big blooming will impact nearly all the frame becoming a veil , but for halation are the best choice.

Pearlescent are an half way.

Consider in still picture you can freely use stronger filters cause you can fix part of the effect in no time, if you are not the jpg type, an advice, the shots come out better filter effect without automatic exposures or automatic shadow/lights adjustment for the jpg/preview (ex Dro for Sony, idr for Leica).
for motion, where exposure is fixed, better less effect cause it is more time consuming fix or add it, and effects come more to the eyes than on still.

Tiffen have a Studio Comparison in 4k of all their filters, it should be on Vimeo, take the screenshots and compare.
There is even other comparisons on the tube, even they are fore videos be sure they're with same exposure grading.

Nov 02, 2022 at 12:14 PM
sergun
• •
p.11 #16 · p.11 #16 · Diffusion Filters! (or Effect Filters in general)

Walkingway Black Mist 1/4

City dreams by Сергей Пашнин, on Flickr

On the left with a filter

Jan 23, 2023 at 02:23 AM
sergun
• •
p.11 #17 · p.11 #17 · Diffusion Filters! (or Effect Filters in general)

45I + black mist 1/4

Jan 23, 2023 at 12:56 PM
Uncle Chip
• • •
p.11 #18 · p.11 #18 · Diffusion Filters! (or Effect Filters in general)

I tried to find “old lenses with character” In the end I gave up mainly due to the fact I loose the aperture data in the viewfinder, something I keep with the modern manual lenses,
I have been intrigued with these filters as they give the effect I was looking for with the added ability of being to easily change the strength and taking it off,
I have all but my 85mm set up on a on a 67mm magnetic filter system, they do a black magic set to go with it, so it seams like I will be giving this a go,

Great thread, thanks

Jan 25, 2023 at 04:56 AM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.11 #19 · p.11 #19 · Diffusion Filters! (or Effect Filters in general)

Stumbled across this set of three Aria Mist diffusion filters by Ron Sim of Simmod. Curious if anyone has any experience with these and how they perform compared to the 'name brand' options? Their example images aren't exactly winning me over.

Simmod is conveniently Canada based (for me), so has me curious.

Edit: watched the first comparison video linked on the Aria Mist product page and the Simmod Aria Mist filters look to be overall lower contrast across the tonal range while adding highlight halation, whereas BPM retains more contrast while adding highlight halation. Bronze Glimmer Glass is closer to BPM than the Simmod Aria, in respect to contrast vs. halation. I think I still prefer the look of BPM - decent contrast but highlight diffusion/halation. Same for Hollywood Black Magic.

BTW, they also have some cool still lens mount conversion adapters available, primarily to Canon EF mount, plus other cine related stuff.

Mar 02, 2023 at 11:26 PM
fjablo
• • •
p.11 #20 · p.11 #20 · Diffusion Filters! (or Effect Filters in general)

I just ordered a K&F concept „shimmer diffusion“ filter. It seems to be heavily „inspired“ by the Tiffen Glimmer Glass, which was out of stock.. anyone have any experience with these?

One thing that could actually be an improvement over the Tiffen filter is that the K&F one has nano-coating. Tiffen filters always seem very basic / old-school when it comes to that..

May 20, 2023 at 05:50 AM
       12       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

12       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.