New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2021 · R5 Battery Grip grip

khurram1
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · R5 Battery Grip grip

Is it just me, or is the battery grip for the R5 the worst battery grip Canon has every produced

Initially, i didn't like the feel, but i was used to shooting with a grip, since until the EOS 5DsR/5Ds came out, I always had a one series body accompanied by a 5 series with a grip. Even going back to the the film camera EOS A2E, i had a grip.

I'm finally getting used to the controls on the R5 (though I still don't get why prime real estate is wasted on the stupid rate button!!!), and have got the camera more configured to make use of the new features.

Does anyone know why there aren't dedicated INFO or PLAY buttons on the grip I can't remember if they were on the previous grips, but with this grip the PLAY button is at least still within each, but either my hands are much smaller than whoever designed the grip (although I've always been told I've got big hands!!!), or there is no way to naturally reach the INFO button.

I've finally got the camera configured the way i wan, and understand some of the customization options much better, unfortunately some of them are not accessed when using the grip when shooting vertically - which defeats the purpose of a vertical access grip!!!

Anyways, just needed to vent and wanted to know if anyone else was experiencing the same frustrations. Not sure if its the fact that Canon has moved some of the buttons around, or omitted buttons that did exist on previous grips. All i know is that with some of the configuration changes, the placement of the buttons just make it hard to use the grip and they should have included those on the grip!!!

Apr 03, 2021 at 11:36 AM
Jesse Evans
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · R5 Battery Grip grip

I don't understand what makes it the "worst" grip, the buttons you're referencing never existed on any 5D grip...

The only weird thing about the BG-R10 is that the thumbstick is moved around.

Maybe you're confused because all of the buttons like info and play were completely inaccessible with your right hand on the Canon 5D series, they are all exclusively on the left side of the camera.

Apr 03, 2021 at 12:39 PM
khurram1
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · R5 Battery Grip grip

Jesse Evans wrote:
I don't understand what makes it the "worst" grip, the buttons you're referencing never existed on any 5D grip...

The only weird thing about the BG-R10 is that the thumbstick is moved around.

Maybe you're confused because all of the buttons like info and play were completely inaccessible with your right hand on the Canon 5D series, they are all exclusively on the left side of the camera.

I think you are probably right. The first few months with the camera, I kept looking for the play and info with my left hand. I’ve been shooting without the grip and got been playing around with the configuration options and am bought into using the rear display drag and using the drag from the right to change/select my focus point. And use the focus point selector to change between the eye AF and the individual focus point. I a lso got used to using the buttons without taking my eye out of the viewfinder without the grip.

I put the grip back on this week and I’m lost again when shooting vertically. The grip also just doesn’t feel right. The 5D grips never felt as nice as the 1D series. But the shape proportions of this grip seem more awkward.
With the grip, It’s annoying when I have to change my viewfinder display (ie want to see the level or histogram), I can’t just press the INFO button naturally without taking my eye out of the viewfinder.
I had grips for the 5D/5DIi/5DIII/5DsR/5Ds and o know some of the other control layouts are different, but the grip were well integrated with those controls and the grip itself did not feel as awkward as this grip does.

Apr 03, 2021 at 12:53 PM
dcisive
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · R5 Battery Grip grip

Perhaps I'm not in the majority but with my moderately sized hands, I find the grip perfect in ergonomics and feel. The play button is just a very short throw for my right thumb and I'm good to go for a playback of an image. Even the joystick is no issue to utilize for me. When I'm shooting in the portrait mode I tend to rest my middle finger of my left hand on the bottom corner of the grip while my left thumb rests where the neck strap bracket is (no I don't use a strap) and it's rock solid for shooting that way in this manner. I guess everyone is different in this regard so may not be as pleased as i am with the grip. To me the grip is a permanent part of the camera and my hands feel that way too.

Apr 03, 2021 at 01:46 PM
Cyberbo60

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · R5 Battery Grip grip

This grip is perfect in every way . I love it.

Apr 05, 2021 at 04:30 AM
CyberDyne
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · R5 Battery Grip grip

It is, in fact, the worst grip Canon has ever made. None of the thumb buttons other than the AF On are even remotely in the same place as they are on the body.

I just did my first performance event shoot in a year (due to Covid) and it was an eye opener just how bad the portrait grip is when you want to shoot in portrait orientation!

There is no possible way to just let your muscle memory do the work to use it the way previous grips have, one must hold the camera out and look to see where the buttons are.

I'd love to know what ape designed this monstrosity. I just can't fathom why it was made this way, when better grips and eh 1D have been available for decades to show how it's done.

Apr 05, 2021 at 10:54 AM
Tony5787
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · R5 Battery Grip grip

Not sure if it's the worst Canon has made because before this I only ever had 1D-series bodies with integrated grips but it's definitely the worst I've used. The joystick's placement is terrible, it makes no sense ergonomically and I feel like I fumble around trying to find it every time I use the grip. The body's ergonomics are fine but it was designed in a way that a vertical grip with identical controls could never happen, had the joystick been placed where the Q button is directly beneath the AF-ON button it would have been possible. That's how Sony's bodies are laid out and their battery grips are the best removable ones I've ever used, I think I liked using my a9's grip even more than the integrated grips on my 1DX and 1DX Mark II because there was basically no context switch between landscape and portrait.

Apr 05, 2021 at 02:27 PM
khurram1
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · R5 Battery Grip grip

I even fumble around with the AF-On button and keep pressing *

Tony5787 wrote:
Not sure if it's the worst Canon has made because before this I only ever had 1D-series bodies with integrated grips but it's definitely the worst I've used. The joystick's placement is terrible, it makes no sense ergonomically and I feel like I fumble around trying to find it every time I use the grip. The body's ergonomics are fine but it was designed in a way that a vertical grip with identical controls could never happen, had the joystick been placed where the Q button is directly beneath the AF-ON button it would have been possible. That's how Sony's
...Show more

Apr 07, 2021 at 09:54 PM
mikeinctown
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · R5 Battery Grip grip

CyberDyne wrote:
It is, in fact, the worst grip Canon has ever made. None of the thumb buttons other than the AF On are even remotely in the same place as they are on the body.

I just did my first performance event shoot in a year (due to Covid) and it was an eye opener just how bad the portrait grip is when you want to shoot in portrait orientation!

There is no possible way to just let your muscle memory do the work to use it the way previous grips have, one must hold the camera out and look to see
...Show more

I really thought you were embellishing what you were saying because I've been using my R5 for different things for months. Pulled it out today and gave it a really good look and I have to say that you are right in just how poorly the buttons are laid out compared to the regular body. The grip itself has to be thicker because of the battery tray but the button placement can be in the exact same place and orientation and they failed miserably. Even the AF button isn't in the same area when you take into consideration the contour of the rear in that area.

Guess its one more reason someone would be pushed toward their "professional" version when it comes out.

Apr 08, 2021 at 03:31 PM
n.v.m.
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · R5 Battery Grip grip

the grip is good, however there's a massive shortage of LP-E6NH batteries. i found one in a store in another city and will have to wait a few days for it.

Apr 08, 2021 at 09:29 PM
CyberDyne
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · R5 Battery Grip grip

It's a disaster area, it's DIABOLICAL.

Apr 10, 2021 at 12:36 AM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · R5 Battery Grip grip

n.v.m. wrote:
the grip is good, however there's a massive shortage of LP-E6NH batteries. i found one in a store in another city and will have to wait a few days for it.

The Neewer LP-E6NH batteries are working great for several of us. In fact they got such a good review by the public, with demand, they raised the prices a few times now.

https://www.amazon.ca/Replacement-LP-E6NH-Battery-Rechargeable-Compatible/dp/B08LDM2H83/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=neewer+lp-e6nh&qid=1618051993&sr=8-6

Apr 10, 2021 at 05:52 AM
n.v.m.
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · R5 Battery Grip grip

TeamSpeed wrote:
The Neewer LP-E6NH batteries are working great for several of us. In fact they got such a good review by the public, with demand, they raised the prices a few times now.

https://www.amazon.ca/Replacement-LP-E6NH-Battery-Rechargeable-Compatible/dp/B08LDM2H83/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=neewer+lp-e6nh&qid=1618051993&sr=8-6

nice. i may get a set for backup.

Apr 10, 2021 at 05:59 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · R5 Battery Grip grip

Thankfully I rarely use my battery grip to shoot portrait orientation because I haven't found a decent battery grip that mimics ergonomics ever from any brand. I use my BG to get a more comfortable hand position.

Even the integrated 1 series grips didn't do a great job of fully replicating functionality. Now with all these extra buttons we have the grips do a really poor job in replicating functionality if one has lots of custom buttons setup.

Apr 10, 2021 at 06:51 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · R5 Battery Grip grip

n.v.m. wrote:
nice. i may get a set for backup.

These ones I have also work well and also give full 12FPS in MS with sufficient charge.
https://www.amazon.ca/BM-Premium-LP-E6NH-Capacity-Batteries/dp/B08FNV5J6J/

One thing you will find with either of these 3rd party batteries is that 12FPS MS will likely drop down sooner than with an OEM. I saw that with my BMs and I see one review of the Neewer mentioning the same (75% vs 38%). However, I still found the drainage of the battery to be similar to the OEM.

There are a number of reviews about getting a dud battery that won't charge with the Neewer set but I'm sure the BMs have the same risk. Most likely they are the same battery behind the label anyways.

Apr 10, 2021 at 06:53 AM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · R5 Battery Grip grip

We had discussions on the neewer here: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1678078/0

Apr 10, 2021 at 07:34 AM
ketang
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · R5 Battery Grip grip

I agree, I've bought every 1st party grip for every camera I've owned and on the Canon side that included the 5D, 5D III, and 5D IV. This is my least favorite grip for a few reasons that others have echoed. First is just the feel of it in my hand. I have large hands, but the fit isn't right. Even smaller grips like the one for my A7R III feel a lot better. Second is the buttons, for some reason I still find it hard to find what I'm after even though I've shot with it since the camera was released. This applies to the buttons on the back and sometimes even the joystick. Oh well...

Apr 10, 2021 at 08:32 AM
jtford9
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · R5 Battery Grip grip

I've used Canon battery grips for years. I have large hands and used to shoot vertically almost 70% of the time, mostly for portraits and "tall, vertical" sports - basketball and volleyball. Grips were very convenient and comfortable.

The R5 grip gives me 2 batteries and good balance with the heavier lenses, both RF and adapted EF. But for shooting function...the grip is awful. The buttons feel different and awkward on the grip compared to the body and the joystick is practically useless. I've tried to utilize it, thinking I'll get used to it, but invariably end up back in horizontal mode and using the R5's 45mp to crop the sides.

Apr 10, 2021 at 07:36 PM
clough

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · R5 Battery Grip grip

khurram1 wrote:
Is it just me, or is the battery grip for the R5 the worst battery grip Canon has every produced

It is. The grip is just horrible. It sticks out on the left side by quite a bit. Really ugly.

Plus of course it's grossly overpriced. The buttons are misplaced. And on mine, the thing wobbled, no matter how tightly the screw was turned.

Horrible effort from Canon.

I sent it right back. Good riddance to that pathetic attempt at ripping off the customers with a piece of junk.

Nov 18, 2022 at 03:50 PM
garyvot
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · R5 Battery Grip grip

The last Canon battery grip that actually felt like an integrated part of the camera (and that I enjoyed using) was made for the EOS 10D:

EOS 10D with grip

I wish I was joking.

Every Canon grip design since then has felt like an ungainly add-on, with varyingly awkward control points, and has resulted in a physically *larger* package than a 1-series model.

Nov 18, 2022 at 07:08 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.