Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2021 · A7RIV, 100-400 GM and the 26MP APS-C Crop Mode with The Blue Angels

SpecFoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A7RIV, 100-400 GM and the 26MP APS-C Crop Mode with The Blue Angels

Have had the 100-400GM f4.5-5.6 for about a year and a half and it is excellent. At first I used with my A7III, but upgraded to the A7RIII 6 months ago the and lens performed beautifully with 42MP. Just a week ago I upgraded the A7RIII to the A7RIV on Friday and took the lens and new body out to shoot the Blue Angles on Saturday, which was their last day at their winter home in El Centro, CA. The lens AF was great and very sharp, just as before. I used the APS-C crop mode in-camera on about 75% of the shots and it was very helpful, giving me the added reach I needed without the bulk of a bigger 200-600mm lens. While I have the 1.4x TC I did not feel the need to use it, as you lose a stop and the sharpness can suffer slightly with the TC. The in-body cropping ability without a stop loss was the reason I wanted the upgrade to the A7RIV, and after this event I am so happy I did.

But what really blew me away was how reliable the tracking is on the A7RIV. First time in using the RT tracking, I took about 2,000 photos, all with zone tracking, and less that 25 photos are out of focus where the jets were very close to me at full speed on 2 series of shots, where even 1/8000 of a sec produced motion blur. I have the AF-C set to Balanced Priority, #2 for AF Tracking Sensitivity, Lens IS was on to #2 Panning.

The 4 photos below are using the APS-C crop mode where I end up with a 26MP file. The first 2 are at 400mm x 1.5 or 600mm and they were really moving on these, close to 300MPH. I could not be happier with this lens, the new body and the results. The only negative I have found to using the crop mode is that there is added noise, especially in the shadows as 2 of these photos are. However Topaz DeNoise cleaned up the files beautifully. Other than DeNoise and the APS-C crop these are full size and processed in LR with the standard Jpeg export treatment and some shadow recovery on the 2 photos of the jets underbellies.

On the last photo, even though this landing jet is about 1,500 feet away, with the crop mode at full reach 400mm x 1.5 or 600mm, you are able to read the very small lettering with the pilots name on the jet, Cdr. Ben Walborn! (in full size file at 6,240 x 4160). The 100-400GM is a very sharp lens on the A7RIV, even maxed out!

BTW, these are the new 2020 F/A-18 Super Hornets and this was their public debut. From here, the Blue Angels flew back to Pensacola, FL on Sunday to begin their 2021 show schedule.

Mar 19, 2021 at 12:38 PM
gocolts
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A7RIV, 100-400 GM and the 26MP APS-C Crop Mode with The Blue Angels

Great shots! I had the same pleasant surprise with the A7R4 I picked up a few months ago in an upgrade to my A7R3. As a matter of fact I had bought an A7C partly for AF tracking...and after using the A7R4 for some action stuff I sold the A7C. If I decide I need better I'll need to pick up an A9, but so far so good.

Mar 19, 2021 at 02:38 PM
Douglas L
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A7RIV, 100-400 GM and the 26MP APS-C Crop Mode with The Blue Angels

Great shots! Can't wait to try out the A1 for airshows when the season kicks off in our region in May. Airshows don't need the A1's AF capability because the planes' flight path is predictable. But the A1's FPS does increase the probability of capturing certain exact moments like two jest crossing each other.

Mar 19, 2021 at 06:48 PM
SpecFoto
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A7RIV, 100-400 GM and the 26MP APS-C Crop Mode with The Blue Angels

gocolts wrote:
Great shots! I had the same pleasant surprise with the A7R4 I picked up a few months ago in an upgrade to my A7R3. As a matter of fact I had bought an A7C partly for AF tracking...and after using the A7R4 for some action stuff I sold the A7C. If I decide I need better I'll need to pick up an A9, but so far so good.

For my uses with the 100-400GM, birding, mostly stationary or slowly flying, airshows and surfing events, I am hoping the tracking turns out as well for the other 2 as it did for the jets. I am not a spray and pray shooter and for me, the 8FPS in the high mode is really too fast. I did use it for a short while but quickly turned to the 6FPS medium setting. Once I got my rhythm back with the panning, it being almost 15 months since any airshows around here, I set the FPS to low, which is 3FPS. I wish Sony had selectable FPS as I would pretty much leave it at 4 or 5 FPS if those options were available, but for now I will be using either medium or low.

So for me, I would much rather have the 26MP crop ability with the A7RIV, than a faster FPS rate with a A9 or new A1. I have zero interest in shooting at 20 or 30FPS as the new A1 does, or 18 to 60 FPS, as my Olympus EM1 Mk III is capable of.

Mar 19, 2021 at 07:30 PM
SpecFoto
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A7RIV, 100-400 GM and the 26MP APS-C Crop Mode with The Blue Angels

Douglas L wrote:
Great shots! Can't wait to try out the A1 for airshows when the season kicks off in our region in May. Airshows don't need the A1's AF capability because the planes' flight path is predictable. But the A1's FPS does increase the probability of capturing certain exact moments like two jest crossing each other.

Hopefully the airshow in Maryland scheduled for May will go on. Already 2 of the 3 shows scheduled for April 2021 in FL and SC have been cancelled.

Mar 19, 2021 at 08:59 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.