Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2              4              31       32       end
  

Pre-order Sony G lenses: FE 24mm f/2.8, 40mm f/2.5, 50mm f/2.5

  
 
JVan_02
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Pre-order Sony G lenses: FE 24mm f/2.8, 40mm f/2.5, 50mm f/2.5


zz wrote:
I could see these being closer to CV size if they are F2 lenses, which might be really nice! Hopefully they get the pricing right and don't go for the 'compact=premium' angle.
Usually Nokishita posts about it about a week in advance, so I feel like we could see these as early as next week?


Nokishita posted about the 35 GM like 1-2 months in advance IIRC.

Man, I got the strongest vibe the 40 G might be a pancake. Or maybe the 24 is the only G-series and the 40 and 50 are just vanilla FE lenses. Ugh, will lens manufacturers stop playing with my hopes like this

If the 40 turns out to be a dud in some way at least the 35 GM is still a thing. I'd prefer a 1.8 to 1.4 but the GM is wonderfully sized for 1.4. If I didn't have the 20, 24 G would be right on the money assuming it's the same quality as 20 (and maybe a 1.8). 24 G + 65i would be a pretty sick combo: the 65 is almost G-level optically, and if you use the 24 G as your main lens and only whip out the 65i occasionally you'd have less need to worry about accidental water ingress/lack of sealing from the i-series.

I think the only time I've wanted follow up info this bad was when the first pics of the 35i came out and lots of people (myself included) speculated the 35i and 65i might be 1:2 pseudo macro lenses .



Mar 18, 2021 at 04:07 AM
Alan Parker
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Pre-order Sony G lenses: FE 24mm f/2.8, 40mm f/2.5, 50mm f/2.5


JVan_02 wrote:
Man, I got the strongest vibe the 40 G might be a pancake. Or maybe the 24 is the only G-series and the 40 and 50 are just vanilla FE lenses. Ugh, will lens manufacturers stop playing with my hopes like this

I certainly hope that 20 1.8G is the level they are aiming at in terms of quality and built, but it doesn't have to be a 1.8 I don't think to sell well as a compact lens. Slightly slower would still be okay. I'd rather have a slower lens that's near-perfect from wide open than a great lens that you need to stop down before it gets good. I feel like that's what Sony has been doing recently with their G and GM lineup. I'm not sure what the new design philosophy for the FE lenses would be though. It's been a while since we've even seen one in that category. For all we know the 50 is just the FE50/1.8 m2



Mar 18, 2021 at 04:18 AM
JVan_02
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Pre-order Sony G lenses: FE 24mm f/2.8, 40mm f/2.5, 50mm f/2.5


zz wrote:
I certainly hope that 20 1.8G is the level they are aiming at in terms of quality and built, but it doesn't have to be a 1.8 I don't think to sell well as a compact lens. Slightly slower would still be okay. I'd rather have a slower lens that's near-perfect from wide open than a great lens that you need to stop down before it gets good. I feel like that's what Sony has been doing recently with their G and GM lineup. I'm not sure what the new design philosophy for the FE lenses would be though. It's
...Show more

I'm hoping for a main lens here. f2.0 is as low as I go I think. If they maintain 20 G levels of IQ/AF performance/MFD it'll be a snap decision for me over the 35 GM I think. Lower and we start to have usability issues as a main optic.

I do agree with emphasizing being impeccable wide open over specs. If the 40 CF performed at f2 like it did at 2.5/2.8 I wouldn't currently be looking for a replacement .



Mar 18, 2021 at 04:48 AM
Charlie N
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Pre-order Sony G lenses: FE 24mm f/2.8, 40mm f/2.5, 50mm f/2.5


JVan_02 wrote:
Nokishita posted about the 35 GM like 1-2 months in advance IIRC.

Man, I got the strongest vibe the 40 G might be a pancake. Or maybe the 24 is the only G-series and the 40 and 50 are just vanilla FE lenses. Ugh, will lens manufacturers stop playing with my hopes like this

If the 40 turns out to be a dud in some way at least the 35 GM is still a thing. I'd prefer a 1.8 to 1.4 but the GM is wonderfully sized for 1.4. If I didn't have the 20, 24 G would be right
...Show more

The 35GM was an abnormality I think, generally not that long of a wait. The 50 came out fast after named release, and generally most items.



Mar 18, 2021 at 07:09 AM
xpfloyd
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Pre-order Sony G lenses: FE 24mm f/2.8, 40mm f/2.5, 50mm f/2.5


The SAR rumour was that the 50 1.2 would be announced early March then more lenses would be late March so if true then we wonít have long to wait to find out. I donít generally believe anything SAR says though (but still canít help myself checking the site regularly! )


Mar 18, 2021 at 08:02 AM
chez
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Pre-order Sony G lenses: FE 24mm f/2.8, 40mm f/2.5, 50mm f/2.5


zz wrote:
I certainly hope that 20 1.8G is the level they are aiming at in terms of quality and built, but it doesn't have to be a 1.8 I don't think to sell well as a compact lens. Slightly slower would still be okay. I'd rather have a slower lens that's near-perfect from wide open than a great lens that you need to stop down before it gets good.


Sometimes you need the extra stop for the light conditions, even if the image is not optically great. Given things equal, I'd rather have that extra stop in my bag and I have no problem stopping down to achieve optimal image quality.

In other words, they better be 1.8 lenses, not 2.8.



Mar 18, 2021 at 08:10 AM
jp.gomez
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Pre-order Sony G lenses: FE 24mm f/2.8, 40mm f/2.5, 50mm f/2.5


Sony Marketing: Lens roadmap is so 2010, just spread info through social media/blogs.

anyhow, "compact G" could possibly mean to me:
24G 1.8 smaller than 20G, and beat Viltrox 24/1.8 in size?
40G 2.8 true pancake? smaller than ZA35/2.8, similar sized to SEL16F28? pushing to 3.5 would be too much. Although true pancakes are welcome on A7c series.
50G 1.8 smaller than FE50 - needs update

or outside "compact" but with G label
all small 1.4s, however that's GM territory noh?



Mar 18, 2021 at 08:38 AM
nandadevieast
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Pre-order Sony G lenses: FE 24mm f/2.8, 40mm f/2.5, 50mm f/2.5


Because they know nobody will buy it.
Even those who ask for it.


Steve Spencer wrote:
Let me be the first to say it: no 28mm? Why can't Sony build us a nice 28.

That said, I think Sony really needs some compact G lenses and this looks like a really nice set.



Edited on Mar 18, 2021 at 09:05 AM · View previous versions



Mar 18, 2021 at 08:57 AM
Artakha
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Pre-order Sony G lenses: FE 24mm f/2.8, 40mm f/2.5, 50mm f/2.5


Iíd be happy to see f/1.8 versions of all three focal lengths (the 50mm 1.8 category seriously needs an updateóIíd love to see a 50mm in the style of the 20mm 1.8) but Iíd be equally happy to see true pancakes of all three as f/2.8 lenses. Short of either case would be a disappointment. I seriously doubt we will see an f/1.4 as a G lens.


Mar 18, 2021 at 08:58 AM
nandadevieast
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Pre-order Sony G lenses: FE 24mm f/2.8, 40mm f/2.5, 50mm f/2.5


I think they are trying to create a lens line for C series bodies. I expect them to be surprisingly small. They could be F2.8 or F3.5 lenses then.


Mar 18, 2021 at 08:59 AM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

nandadevieast
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Pre-order Sony G lenses: FE 24mm f/2.8, 40mm f/2.5, 50mm f/2.5


Yes we need a small great 35.

DaveFP wrote:
Shame - was looking forward to a small 35.

/s




Mar 18, 2021 at 09:06 AM
Steve Spencer
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Pre-order Sony G lenses: FE 24mm f/2.8, 40mm f/2.5, 50mm f/2.5


DavidBM wrote:
Perhaps, but I am inclined to think the 100 gets in by virtue of special features (if we get shift lenses they might be GM even if not f1.4 or faster) and the 135 is f 1.8, but at those focal lengths thatís sort of equivalent to 1.4 at shorter ones.

Also, a 1.4 would be only half a stop slower than the 1.2GM, and since I donít think since the 20 G and GM are distinguished much by build or IQ, but may speed when both exist, they wonít be making a G that close.

But of course we are
...Show more

I suppose another way to think about it is that the 40 G and 50 G here together with the 35 GM and 50 GM could be seen as Sony replacing all their Sony/Zeiss FF primes in rather short order. The 35 and 50 GM are obviously replacements for the Sony/Zeiss 35 and 50 f/1.4 lenses. The 40 G if it is a pancake could basically be a replacement for the Sony/Zeiss 35 f/2.8 and the 50 G if it is an f/1.8 could basically be the replacement for the Sony/Zeiss 55 f/1.8. I suppose using this reasoning the 24mm might even be an an APS-C lens and replace the 24 f/1.8 Sony/Zeiss APS-C lens. I suppose we might even see Sony before long stop producing the Sony/Zeiss primes.

If they totally wanted to rid the line up of Sony/Zeiss lenses that would just mean replacing the 24-70 f/4 Sony/Zeiss, and that lens could certainly use an update, and the 16-35 f/4 Sony/Zeiss, which doesn't seem to me to be as much in need of an update, but does have quite a bit of overlap with the 12-24 f/4 G.

We might be seeing Sony moving totally away from their association with Zeiss in offering lenses for the E mount. Regardless these are interesting times, and if all three of these lenses replace Sony/Zeiss lenses, then we can pretty much know that is what Sony is doing.



Mar 18, 2021 at 09:12 AM
kroyston
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Pre-order Sony G lenses: FE 24mm f/2.8, 40mm f/2.5, 50mm f/2.5


I think youíre on to something Steve. I had not considered the possibility that one of these could be APS-C. I think Sony is clearly moving forward without Zeiss, the last Sony/Zeiss lens to be released was the 50mm/1.4 in 2016, which they essentially just obsoleted with the GM launch. The ZA24/1.8, ZA35/2.8, ZA55/1.8 all have the same design language and while still holding their own optically do stick out as oddballs in the modern Sony lens lineup. Updating these makes sense if Sony does intend to fully sever the relationship with Zeiss.If this is the case, the 24-70/4, 16-35/4 and APS-C 16-70/4 are all potentials for replacement or discontinuation.

Personally, Iíd be interested in either the 40 or 50mm if f/2 or wider. I have the Batis 40, but havenít found much use for it since picking up the Tamron 28-75 which focuses just as close and isnít too much slower in practice, nor is it such a compact lens that it gets thrown in ďjust in caseĒ. Here is to hoping Sony can pull off a 50/1.4 that is the spitting image of the FE35/1.8.

Steve Spencer wrote:
I suppose another way to think about it is that the 40 G and 50 G here together with the 35 GM and 50 GM could be seen as Sony replacing all their Sony/Zeiss FF primes in rather short order. The 35 and 50 GM are obviously replacements for the Sony/Zeiss 35 and 50 f/1.4 lenses. The 40 G if it is a pancake could basically be a replacement for the Sony/Zeiss 35 f/2.8 and the 50 G if it is an f/1.8 could basically be the replacement for the Sony/Zeiss 55 f/1.8. I suppose using this reasoning the
...Show more




Mar 18, 2021 at 10:05 AM
bjornthun
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Pre-order Sony G lenses: FE 24mm f/2.8, 40mm f/2.5, 50mm f/2.5


The rumour says FE, full frame E-mount for all three lenses, 24mm, 40mm and 50mm. A 24mm with a 62mm filter thread should work well on APS-C bodies. The Sony 24/1.8 E was close to the price of the Batis 25/2 in Norway. Indeed the 24/1.8 ZA for APS-C is more expensive than the 20/1.8 G for full frame in Norway, so the APS-C users will win pricewice by buying a full frame Sony 24/1.8 G, provided itís cheaper than the 20/1.8 G, which is likely.


Mar 18, 2021 at 10:20 AM
Beni
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Pre-order Sony G lenses: FE 24mm f/2.8, 40mm f/2.5, 50mm f/2.5


A nice small 24mm f2.8 at a good price would be very tempting.


Mar 18, 2021 at 11:44 AM
jhinkey
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Pre-order Sony G lenses: FE 24mm f/2.8, 40mm f/2.5, 50mm f/2.5


I just used my A7RIII + 35/2.8 Sony on a ski trip and f/2.8 is just fine most of the time.
I really hope the 40mm is f/2.8 and excellent right from wide open with decent sun stars and flare/ghosting. I know lots of people think f/2.8 is too slow, but for many applications it's just fine, especially with IBIS being so good.

An excellent compact 40/2.8 along with the 40/1.2 CV is an excellent collection of 40mm lenses to have.



Mar 18, 2021 at 12:19 PM
kroyston
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Pre-order Sony G lenses: FE 24mm f/2.8, 40mm f/2.5, 50mm f/2.5


Indeed, a compact FE could pull double duty. Effectively eliminating the need for a specific APS-C lens and replace the current E24/1.8.

bjornthun wrote:
The rumour says FE, full frame E-mount for all three lenses, 24mm, 40mm and 50mm. A 24mm with a 62mm filter thread should work well on APS-C bodies. The Sony 24/1.8 E was close to the price of the Batis 25/2 in Norway. Indeed the 24/1.8 ZA for APS-C is more expensive than the 20/1.8 G for full frame in Norway, so the APS-C users will win pricewice by buying a full frame Sony 24/1.8 G, provided itís cheaper than the 20/1.8 G, which is likely.




Mar 18, 2021 at 01:04 PM
gocolts
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Pre-order Sony G lenses: FE 24mm f/2.8, 40mm f/2.5, 50mm f/2.5


I remember back in my Canon days I had one of those 40mm 2.8 pancake lenses...was so convenient to have around. I'm using my FE 35 2.8 in a similar manner as I did the 40 back then, would love an even smaller mirrorless option.


Mar 18, 2021 at 05:41 PM
chez
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Pre-order Sony G lenses: FE 24mm f/2.8, 40mm f/2.5, 50mm f/2.5


jhinkey wrote:
I just used my A7RIII + 35/2.8 Sony on a ski trip and f/2.8 is just fine most of the time.
I really hope the 40mm is f/2.8 and excellent right from wide open with decent sun stars and flare/ghosting. I know lots of people think f/2.8 is too slow, but for many applications it's just fine, especially with IBIS being so good.

An excellent compact 40/2.8 along with the 40/1.2 CV is an excellent collection of 40mm lenses to have.


I actually just got a Batis 40 for those occasions where the 35 2.8 was too slow. I love the 35 2.8 size and quality of images...its just a tad slow for many shooting situations. This is one reason I don't use zooms much, find them too slow.



Mar 18, 2021 at 05:59 PM
Steve Spencer
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Pre-order Sony G lenses: FE 24mm f/2.8, 40mm f/2.5, 50mm f/2.5


I think regardless of exactly what these lenses are the lineup of Sony E-Mount primes has gotten very strong. Even if Sony quits producing the Sony/Zeiss lenses we still have:

Sony 20 f/1.8G
Sony 24 f/1.4 GM; new Sony 24G
Sony 28 f/2
Sony 35 f/1.4 GM; Sony 35 f/1.8
new Sony 40G
Sony 50 f/1.2 GM; new Sony 50G; Sony 50 f/1.8; Sony 50 f/2.8 Macro
Sony 85 f/1.4 GM; Sony 85 f/1.8
Sony 90 f/2.8 G Macro
Sony 100 f/2.8 GM STF
Sony 135 f/1.8 GM

Not to beat a dead horse but every one of these focal lengths has a G or GM lens (which have all been very good to excellent designs) except for 28mm, and it is not as if the 28 f/2 was one of the best non G or GM lenses either. Please Sony give us a good 28mm.

In fact, if I were rating what I would still like to see from Sony that good 28mm would top my list. Followed by a 100, I would love a 100 f/2 G, but a 100 f/1.4 GM would be an interesting lens too. I think Sony really needs a longer macro as well--either a 150 or 180; then a bunch of longer lenses and finally a set of tilt/shift lenses would round out Sony's offerings well.



Mar 18, 2021 at 06:10 PM
1       2              4              31       32       end






FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2              4              31       32       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password



This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.