4              300       301       end

Sony A1 Image Thread

GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Sony A1 Image Thread

arbitrage wrote:
No...

I wonder if these manufacturers have woken up to the realization that all the money for these cameras is coming from wealthy enthusiasts these days. I bet there are more retired bird photographers buying this thing day 1 than any other genre. But who knows for sure. FM may just skew that perception. I'm sure AP bought a few truckloads.

That was exactly my point. Birds simply dont put money in my pocket

Mar 10, 2021 at 11:26 AM
dclark
• • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Sony A1 Image Thread

Jemini wrote:
Got it. It might take a while.

Anyway just got ACR update that includes A1. ACR handles noise way better than Edit. IMO now A1 looks very close to D850
in ACR

The new release of ACR, ver 13.2, supports the A1. It works with PS to open A1 RAW files. Version 10.2 of Lightroom Classic is required, but the latest available version of LRCC is 10.1.1. Do you have 10.2?

I have a few thousand files from yesterday and have been going through them with FRV (which works well with A1 files) and then Imaging Edge for a select few. IE is painful to use!!

I need LRCC v10.2 ASAP.

Dave

Mar 10, 2021 at 11:27 AM
cmarker

p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Sony A1 Image Thread

So here are some quick picture of my daughter where I was playing with the autofocus. It is JPG straight out of the camera (playing with picture profiles). They are from a series of her running around. I did not have any that weren't out of focus (135mm g-master at 1.8 to test the limits). I am quite impressed with the focusing abilities.

Edited on Mar 10, 2021 at 11:50 AM · View previous versions

Mar 10, 2021 at 11:41 AM
j4nu
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Sony A1 Image Thread

GMPhotography wrote:
Can we have photos of anything but birds.

Are dogs allowed

Mar 10, 2021 at 11:42 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Sony A1 Image Thread

ABSOLUTELY . Cats are limited though.

Mar 10, 2021 at 11:44 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Sony A1 Image Thread

Dog is cute but he is pissed . He is thinking hey 6500 for dog bones would have worked for him.

Mar 10, 2021 at 11:45 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Sony A1 Image Thread

dclark wrote:
The new release of ACR, ver 13.2, supports the A1. It works with PS to open A1 RAW files. Version 10.2 of Lightroom Classic is required, but the latest available version of LRCC is 10.1.1. Do you have 10.2?

I have a few thousand files from yesterday and have been going through them with FRV (which works well with A1 files) and then Imaging Edge for a select few. IE is painful to use!!

I need LRCC v10.2 ASAP.

Dave

If they are mentioning LR 10.2 in the release then it must be coming very soon. Even though LR and ACR use the same engine you do not need ACR installed to use LR. As far as I understand it, LR has the ACR engine built-in. PS relies on having ACR installed if you want to develop your RAW but not LR.

There was a new update for LR Pre-release just a couple days ago which I'm guessing will be what LR 10.2 is.

Mar 10, 2021 at 11:49 AM
dclark
• • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Sony A1 Image Thread

arbitrage wrote:
If they are mentioning LR 10.2 in the release then it must be coming very soon. Even though LR and ACR use the same engine you do not need ACR installed to use LR. As far as I understand it, LR has the ACR engine built-in. PS relies on having ACR installed if you want to develop your RAW but not LR.

There was a new update for LR Pre-release just a couple days ago which I'm guessing will be what LR 10.2 is.

Yes, but I thought Jemini may have gotten LRCC 10.2. Probably he is using ACR with PS.
I'll just have to wait, like it or not.

Mar 10, 2021 at 11:57 AM
j4nu
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Sony A1 Image Thread

GMPhotography wrote:
Dog is cute but he is pissed . He is thinking hey 6500 for dog bones would have worked for him.

Ya, you can see that in his eyes in this 100% crop

Mar 10, 2021 at 12:00 PM
Jemini
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Sony A1 Image Thread

cmarker wrote:
So here are some quick picture of my daughter where I was playing with the autofocus. It is JPG straight out of the camera (playing with picture profiles). They are from a series of her running around. I did not have any that weren't out of focus (135mm g-master at 1.8 to test the limits). I am quite impressed with the focusing abilities.

Cute kid and nice pictures. But I see magenta cast in second pic. May be it's my bias. I was afraid of this from A9

Mar 10, 2021 at 12:19 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ronny Olsson
• • • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Sony A1 Image Thread

AGeoJO wrote:
My first images using this camera... but no kestrel, no white-tailed kite, no burrowing owl and no peregrine falcon though, just flycatcher on a windy afternoon late afternoon. For the very first time, I was using the Birdseye-AF yesterday and it worked splendidly on this little guy. Can we say STICKY ? He did take off but I haven't processed the image yet. The workflow is clunky at this point...

Congrats my friend !

Mar 10, 2021 at 12:57 PM
buffalowolff
• • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Sony A1 Image Thread

Bad strong light, will go out again tonight if the nice weather holds. This thing is just like shooting the a9 but with more MP. The viewfinder is amazing, so much easier for me to track than the a7R IV, and being able to keep speed at FF not needing APC-C..... so many more betters.

Mar 10, 2021 at 01:10 PM
twodees
• •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Sony A1 Image Thread

The AF switches to the body or whatever bit of bird isn't submerged then back to the eye pretty quickly once it's head is raised above water

Tony5787 wrote:
That’s impressive with the dipper, I’d assume it would be challenging for the camera to track the eye with the bird dunking its head in the water.

Mar 10, 2021 at 01:29 PM
dallvr
• • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Sony A1 Image Thread

GMPhotography wrote:
Than this forum is worthless to me so go shoot something. Im not kidding this is NOT ABOUT BIRDS unless they start paying my bills.

Seriously its not telling the whole story. We need other types of image so the rest of the place can get a understanding.

Will try to oblige when mine comes later today. It is rainy here in No. CA after an ominous period of no rain at all. So I am not going out in the rain with the new camera to look for birds.

Mar 10, 2021 at 02:20 PM
DuelingLenses
• •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Sony A1 Image Thread

AGeoJO wrote:
My first images using this camera... but no kestrel, no white-tailed kite, no burrowing owl and no peregrine falcon though, just flycatcher on a windy afternoon late afternoon. For the very first time, I was using the Birdseye-AF yesterday and it worked splendidly on this little guy. Can we say STICKY ? He did take off but I haven't processed the image yet. The workflow is clunky at this point...

I was waiting to see if you got this beast of a camera. Mine comes today. One thing I've noticed in a lot of the images I've seen from it so far (including yours) is that the colors are so good!

I'm just waiting for the knock on my door

Mar 10, 2021 at 02:25 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Sony A1 Image Thread

GMPhotography wrote:
Can we have photos of anything but birds.

Since I moved to Canon, that's been the one thing about the image threads over there...about 85% bird photography. Not sure why, but hey...I guess people like birds.

Mar 10, 2021 at 02:43 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Sony A1 Image Thread

Jman13 wrote:
Since I moved to Canon, that's been the one thing about the image threads over there...about 85% bird photography. Not sure why, but hey...I guess people like birds.

Yep, I bet that this thread just like the R5 thread will be 80+% birds. Fine with me but hopefully some more non-bird shooters on FM buy this camera.

Edited on Mar 10, 2021 at 03:06 PM · View previous versions

Mar 10, 2021 at 02:47 PM
Douglas L
• • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Sony A1 Image Thread

Jman13 wrote:

May have something to do with these cameras having high resolution and outstanding AF/FPS, which attracts a lot of birders? With all the travel restrictions, it's easier to photograph birds. Just look at the big Sony FE image thread, there have been more birds pictures there than anything else recently. Even our landscape/macro guru Ronny Olson has been posting many many outstanding bird pictures

Mar 10, 2021 at 02:53 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Sony A1 Image Thread

I would dub this camera as “Bird Photography Camera for Dummies”. Frankly, it feels like cheating... in a good way though .

I just made it back home from another evaluation outing. I will post images later on. I am cheering on the stock market in the final hour now .

Mar 10, 2021 at 03:00 PM
darbo
• • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Sony A1 Image Thread

AGeoJO wrote:
I would dub this camera as “Bird Photography Camera for Dummies”. Frankly, it feels like cheating... in a good way though .

I just made it back home from another evaluation outing. I will post images later on. I am cheering on the stock market in the final hour now .

As an actual dummy I ordered this camera in the hopes it could help me out with getting into bird photography...it’s great having you validate my purchase decision. Going to be a massive AF upgrade from my feeble a7R II!

Edited on Mar 10, 2021 at 03:31 PM · View previous versions

Mar 10, 2021 at 03:31 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.