FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3              201       202       end

Sony A1 Image Thread

Jemini
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Sony A1 Image Thread

palmor wrote:
Ok, got the camera and took it out to the blind for about 30min in-between meetings. Lighting sucked but it was a good test of the AF and it passed. Having the BEAF is really nice, no more worrying about getting the point right on or if zone if getting the eye vs something else. I can see this working very well for Warbler season

Took these in RAW, converted RAW to TIFF in the imaging app (ouch, that is ugly) and brought into Lightroom for a few adjustments and topaz denoise

Edit: Tried capture one for the 3rd shot, still
...Show more

"ouch, that is ugly" - Can you please explain? Did you mean the IQ is bad or workflow is tough? I thought Sony Edit is one of the simplest programs by manufacturers (may be like DPP).

Mar 10, 2021 at 07:21 AM
palmor
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Sony A1 Image Thread

Jemini wrote:
"ouch, that is ugly" - Can you please explain? Did you mean the IQ is bad or workflow is tough? I thought Sony Edit is one of the simplest programs by manufacturers (may be like DPP).

The imaging edge software was awful IMO. I admit I'm not used to using it but I did not enjoy it at all.

Mar 10, 2021 at 07:31 AM
buffalowolff
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Sony A1 Image Thread

You can update camera raw this morning and open with photoshop, then save directly from ACR to dng, then import into LR. Still clunky, but at least adobe clunky. Hopefully LR gets update today or at least this week.

Mar 10, 2021 at 07:38 AM
AJay
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Sony A1 Image Thread

Fun test here. This image is a frame-grab from an 8k video of two sandhill cranes doing their unison call. I have to work on the colors a bit since it was recorded in SLOG-3, then brought into PS and color corrected. I need a LUT for PS!

Here's the video:

Edited on Mar 10, 2021 at 07:49 AM · View previous versions

Mar 10, 2021 at 07:46 AM
chiron
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Sony A1 Image Thread

randomguy wrote:
Huge upgrade from my old A9 in all levels except it seems to drain batteries noticeably faster.

Menus take some time to get used to.

EVF is much better (and probably partly reason for battery drain).

Image review, zooming, culling (setting for double click delete button) is much faster, at least with CFA cards.

Power on, wake up from sleep much faster.

Bird eye AF is a bit hit and miss, need to control it by using suitable focus area (or it may jump between subjects) and disable it when it jumps to something else than an eye. Fortunately you can assign a button for
...Show more

How does shutter lag feel?

Mar 10, 2021 at 07:47 AM
palmor
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Sony A1 Image Thread

One thing I forgot to mention is that wakeup time seems MUCH faster. I wasn't even paying attention and I half pressed the shutter after it went to sleep when a bird flew in range of the blind and I started to just wait expecting the usual lag, but it was ready way before I expected.

No scientific process here, but it was noticeable when I wasn't looking for it.

Mar 10, 2021 at 07:53 AM
chiron
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Sony A1 Image Thread

cmarker wrote:
This is a fun little rocket. I was really excited to try with my 3 year old to see how autofocus performance improved over my A7RIV. It did improve, but I can't say that it was revolutionary (probably because the A7RIV was pretty good). I think testing it in different lighting will show more of an effect.

I didn't think I needed 30fps, but I decided to try it out. It is quite scary how fast it is. It was quite unexpected (I never had an A9). It would be awesome for high speed sports. I think 10fps is the max
...Show more

Can anyone compare the autofocus with people, children, dogs, sports to autofocus with the A9/A9II? How does real time tracking compare with people/faces/eyes?

Mar 10, 2021 at 07:56 AM
Jemini
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Sony A1 Image Thread

palmor wrote:
The imaging edge software was awful IMO. I admit I'm not used to using it but I did not enjoy it at all.

Got it. It might take a while.

Anyway just got ACR update that includes A1. ACR handles noise way better than Edit. IMO now A1 looks very close to D850
in ACR

Mar 10, 2021 at 08:58 AM
jamato8
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Sony A1 Image Thread

chiron wrote:
How does shutter lag feel?

What shutter lag.

Mar 10, 2021 at 09:31 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Sony A1 Image Thread

Jemini wrote:
Got it. It might take a while.

Anyway just got ACR update that includes A1. ACR handles noise way better than Edit. IMO now A1 looks very close to D850
in ACR

Told you so

Mar 10, 2021 at 09:42 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

chiron
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Sony A1 Image Thread

jamato8 wrote:
What shutter lag.

Excellent!

Mar 10, 2021 at 09:47 AM
j4nu
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Sony A1 Image Thread

cmarker wrote:
This is a fun little rocket. I was really excited to try with my 3 year old to see how autofocus performance improved over my A7RIV. It did improve, but I can't say that it was revolutionary (probably because the A7RIV was pretty good). I think testing it in different lighting will show more of an effect.

I didn't think I needed 30fps, but I decided to try it out. It is quite scary how fast it is. It was quite unexpected (I never had an A9). It would be awesome for high speed sports. I think 10fps is the max
...Show more

I can only compare to A7III, but imho it's night and day (how quick and sticky eyeAF now is) in that case..

Mar 10, 2021 at 09:51 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Sony A1 Image Thread

My first images using this camera... but no kestrel, no white-tailed kite, no burrowing owl and no peregrine falcon though, just flycatcher on a windy afternoon late afternoon. For the very first time, I was using the Birdseye-AF yesterday and it worked splendidly on this little guy. Can we say STICKY ? He did take off but I haven't processed the image yet. The workflow is clunky at this point...

© AGeoJO 2021

Flycatcher

ILCE-1    FE 600mm F4 GM OSS lens    600mm    f/4.0    1/1000s    500 ISO    0.0 EV  

© AGeoJO 2021

Flycatcher 2

ILCE-1    FE 600mm F4 GM OSS lens    600mm    f/4.0    1/1000s    1250 ISO    0.0 EV  

Mar 10, 2021 at 09:56 AM
twodees
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Sony A1 Image Thread

Dipper

a1+600GM+BEAF

Mar 10, 2021 at 10:37 AM
baltmin
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Sony A1 Image Thread

How does the keeper rate compare to a9 in long bursts?

I would assume BEAF could make the difference in bursts of large birds, when depth of field is not enough for the whole bird to be in focus. In this scenario more keepers could be the result of A1 finding the eye instead of tracking the wings or the tail.

Mar 10, 2021 at 10:54 AM
Tony5787
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Sony A1 Image Thread

Thatís impressive with the dipper, Iíd assume it would be challenging for the camera to track the eye with the bird dunking its head in the water.

Mar 10, 2021 at 11:02 AM
Jemini
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Sony A1 Image Thread

arbitrage wrote:
Told you so

Mar 10, 2021 at 11:04 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Sony A1 Image Thread

Can we have photos of anything but birds.

Mar 10, 2021 at 11:19 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Sony A1 Image Thread

GMPhotography wrote:
Can we have photos of anything but birds.

No...

I wonder if these manufacturers have woken up to the realization that all the money for these cameras is coming from wealthy enthusiasts these days. I bet there are more retired bird photographers buying this thing day 1 than any other genre. But who knows for sure. FM may just skew that perception. I'm sure AP bought a few truckloads.

Mar 10, 2021 at 11:22 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Sony A1 Image Thread

Than this forum is worthless to me so go shoot something. Im not kidding this is NOT ABOUT BIRDS unless they start paying my bills.

Seriously its not telling the whole story. We need other types of image so the rest of the place can get a understanding.

Mar 10, 2021 at 11:25 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password