Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

3              6       7       end

Official: Leica APO-Summicron-SL 28mm F2 ASPH lens ($5,195)

philip_pj
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Official: Leica APO-Summicron-SL 28mm F2 ASPH lens ($5,195)

Their hands are full with FE/M relentless ongoing demands, sad to say. These things are put in train for some time what with deals and passing tech info, plus lags in design. I hope you get your wish as it's good to see less popular mounts get the same access. True re native - the IBIS help is great.

But take a look at last week's video from Steve Huff, using the VM 50/2 on the S5 and SL2, on this page:

https://thevaluablefriends.com/2021/02/13/voigtlander-50-apo-vm-leica-mount-review-8x-less-than-leica-and-gorgeous/

He prefers the colour on the Pana S5. The VM version will help them, the M users get the 35/50 pair straight off.

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:56 PM
Jesse Evans
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Official: Leica APO-Summicron-SL 28mm F2 ASPH lens ($5,195)

philip_pj wrote:
The strengths of a range's lens standardisation are obvious. The negs include you have to like the weight/size/look/operation. When the SL series was conceived the size/weight issue was looking like a fait accompli (Sigma ART, Milvus, Otus, RF f1.2 etc.) as the industry attempted to foist their 'bigger is better' take on the unsuspecting buying public.

Everyone who can buy one deserves an SL prime in these salad days of lens design. They are the best of the best, and a mere glance at the MTF says this one is no exception. If you were to list lenses weighing more than
...Show more

Is there a single prime that you can name any prime for FF 35mm that is over 700 gram, under 100mm, and f/2 other than the SL trio?

Also the benefits of the standardization of a lens range are not obvious. The benefits of a standard filter size ARE obvious. The standardization of lens bodies brings plenty of negatives, and for photography, not a single upside I can think of. Especially when you consider this specific case, in which the only physical control is an electronic focus ring.

Negatives:

1. Lenses larger than they need to be to stay in the same sized body as focal lengths that require it.
2. Identical lens bodies make it more difficult to pick out the right focal length from a bag when needed.

Positives:

1. Maybe they look nice on a shelf?

For video lenses the standardization of lens dimensions helps because assistants can quickly swap out one lens with another and the matte box and everything else can stay in exactly the same position. Iím not sure any such example exists for photography.

Iíd be interested to hear your take on it though.

Feb 19, 2021 at 01:11 AM
zhangyue
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Official: Leica APO-Summicron-SL 28mm F2 ASPH lens ($5,195)

Save cost I would say by sharing parts and manage supply. By looking at lens diagram, it looks like Leica didnít waste much space for any of their glasses.

Panasonic will use the same concept for their 1.8 line.

I like the idea personally and donít really see penalty from their diagram.

Other than size and price and maybe AF tech. they are indeed attractive from IQ POV.

Jesse Evans wrote:
Is there a single prime that you can name any prime for FF 35mm that is over 700 gram, under 100mm, and f/2 other than the SL trio?

Also the benefits of the standardization of a lens range are not obvious. The benefits of a standard filter size ARE obvious. The standardization of lens bodies brings plenty of negatives, and for photography, not a single upside I can think of. Especially when you consider this specific case, in which the only physical control is an electronic focus ring.

Negatives:

1. Lenses larger than they need to be to stay in the
...Show more

Feb 19, 2021 at 01:42 AM
pmeheut
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Official: Leica APO-Summicron-SL 28mm F2 ASPH lens ($5,195)

zhangyue wrote:
Save cost I would say by sharing parts and manage supply.

I'm not sure one can talk about a $5000 28mm/2 and say "save cost" in the same sentence.

I agree with Jesse Evans on this one: as good as this lenses are, I see no advantage in them having the same size, the huge weight, etc.

I have to admit that being over 50, I do not want to transport as much weight as when I was in my 20s. But then, I'm not sure that photographers below 30 are the bulk of the Leica L lenses buyers.
And I stopped being obsessed by the ultimate in optical qualities many years ago because most of today's gear is already incredibly good and as Jean-Loup Sieff said, "one can take a good picture with any camera but taking an interesting picture is another subject".

Ok, this is kind of a joke as he used a Leica instead of a Zenith but as attracted as I am by the SL system because of the bodies ergonomics and image quality, the size, weight and price are more than enough to keep me away from it.
And I think that my prints would be as good with a Leica CL.

Feb 19, 2021 at 02:14 AM
LBJ2
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Official: Leica APO-Summicron-SL 28mm F2 ASPH lens ($5,195)

Jesse Evans wrote:
Sony's GM Prime lenses are consistently the lightest lenses in their segment. Their 35mm f/1.4 GM is 524g vs the Leica 35mm f/2 Summicron-SL which comes in at 750g. For 3.5x the cost you get half the light gathering, and an autofocus motor that sounds like it's chewing on gravel https://youtu.be/IMYY8oTAjDQ

I don't think that people are being unfair to Leica here. But I understand that also some people will buy this lens and be happy with it, and they do not care about its weight.

The Leica SL 35/2 is an MTF dream IMO.

I enjoy every second of Peter Karbe presentations and hope to see more. So much to learn from his presentations! But when it comes to the part of his SL lenses presentation when he describes how he had to design the SL lenses around the AF technology Leica chose to use for their SL system, I do wonder if things might have been different otherwise.

Listening to the 35/2 autofocus in your video, I can almost hear the illustration described below:

https://youtu.be/_vyoAIOTIcs

@Alpha_Geist. Are you able to hear the same 35/2 autofocus as Jesse presents in his video with your new SL2-S SL 35/2 kit?

Feb 19, 2021 at 09:03 AM
Geoff CB
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Official: Leica APO-Summicron-SL 28mm F2 ASPH lens ($5,195)

Alpha_Geist wrote:
Would really love to see Voigtlander make some L-mount MF glass (that would also pass FL information for IBIS)...

I would love their 50/2 APO in L-mount! Sure, I could pick up the M mount version and adapt it, but to have a native mount version that would fit more naturally in hand would be quite swell!

I would take any of the voigtlanders in L-mount

Feb 19, 2021 at 09:43 AM
Rob L
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Official: Leica APO-Summicron-SL 28mm F2 ASPH lens ($5,195)

Sony 85 GM = 820 grams
Zony 50 1.4 = 780 grams
Two Sony favs. Also, some of the noisiest focusing lenses on the planet. There are others.
With size and weight for me, there are tipping points where 20% heavier or bigger just really doesn't matter. None of these are RX100s or even X100s. I had an A7RIV with 24 GM and an SL2 with various Summicrons, neither disappears and they both flop around on the ends of the strap. The experience of using them was about the same. The SL2 is damn heavy when you fondle it at home, but in use I never notice and it is a joy. Also supper stable and easy to hand hold.
If you are 50 and whining about camera weight, you should get to the gym. Sarcopenia is the leading killer of old folk!

Feb 19, 2021 at 09:49 AM
dog rocket
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Official: Leica APO-Summicron-SL 28mm F2 ASPH lens ($5,195)

I took to an SL2 (previously Sony and Nikon mirrorless systems), not for the fabulous SL glass, but for much the same reasons I've been enjoying mirrorless in general for the last - what's it been(?) 7/8 years Sony? I have an embarrassing amount of old, fun and unique glass that I like to adapt. I have 2 Sigma lenses that AF but the rest are MF. Those are also my only two native mount lenses. I'm no pro... more of a gearhead. And I get a great deal of joy and amusement putting a lens I have no business using on a Leica camera.

So while I defend Leica for their decisions on the SL glass front, I'm not sure if I'll ever buy one. I mean, how many old lenses could I get for 5 grand?

On the size thing, I didn't care for it with the Nikon Z and I don't care for it on the SL. I don't understand why a company would handcuff themselves like that, especially when someone like me prefers to know what lens he's grabbing at a glance. I can't imagine being a Leica engineer. "Make this the best lens the world has ever seen. And, oh yeah, it has to fit exactly in this tube." That's a challenge and a feat when the engineering dictates that it be larger. But it's also quite dumb if the same results can be had with a SMALLER form factor. Just MO, of course.

Feb 19, 2021 at 10:12 AM
LBJ2
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Official: Leica APO-Summicron-SL 28mm F2 ASPH lens ($5,195)

dog rocket wrote:
I took to an SL2 (previously Sony and Nikon mirrorless systems), not for the fabulous SL glass, but for much the same reasons I've been enjoying mirrorless in general for the last - what's it been(?) 7/8 years Sony? I have an embarrassing amount of old, fun and unique glass that I like to adapt. I have 2 Sigma lenses that AF but the rest are MF. Those are also my only two native mount lenses. I'm no pro... more of a gearhead. And I get a great deal of joy and amusement putting a lens I have no
...Show more

You are correct about the Sony GM 85 and Sony/Zeiss 50 F1.4 you can feel and hear the focusing system. The GM 85 when first released quickly became known as the Coffee Can Grinder and there were videos on that too. Some even thought they saw metal shavings inside the lens! Ha Ha. But soon people began to realize the GM 85's IQ capabilities. I own and use both. Neither lens is small or light either but as you wrote both are thought of highly for their IQ qualities.

The SL is a large and heavy system and Peter Karbe has gone through great detail describing why just as he did for describing why the Leica M system lenses are so small. If one wants to stay solely within the Leica systems there are many choices between small and large and the ability to mix and match just like any other mirrorless system.

Feb 19, 2021 at 10:21 AM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Official: Leica APO-Summicron-SL 28mm F2 ASPH lens ($5,195)

Jesse Evans wrote:

Negatives:

1. Lenses larger than they need to be to stay in the
...Show more

There's a fairly recent video by Peter Karbe where he discussed the SL system lenses. Sorry, I don't have the link handy. From what I recall, he mentioned that keeping the lenses roughly the same size provided optical benefits for the wide angle lenses (compared to the 50mm+ designs). Whether or not the tradeoff in size/weight is worthwhile will be a subjective matter. I believe Leica's goal with the SL Cron primes is best possible optical performance in a 'moderate' size package (compared to the 50 Lux-SL or the zooms). The M system remains Leica's compact lens solution.

Feb 19, 2021 at 10:29 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

LBJ2
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Official: Leica APO-Summicron-SL 28mm F2 ASPH lens ($5,195)

rscheffler wrote:
There's a fairly recent video by Peter Karbe where he discussed the SL system lenses. Sorry, I don't have the link handy. From what I recall, he mentioned that keeping the lenses roughly the same size provided optical benefits for the wide angle lenses (compared to the 50mm+ designs). Whether or not the tradeoff in size/weight is worthwhile will be a subjective matter. I believe Leica's goal with the SL Cron primes is best possible optical performance in a 'moderate' size package (compared to the 50 Lux-SL or the zooms). The M system remains Leica's compact lens solution.

Feb 19, 2021 at 10:42 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Official: Leica APO-Summicron-SL 28mm F2 ASPH lens ($5,195)

Rob L wrote:
If you are 50 and whining about camera weight, you should get to the gym. Sarcopenia is the leading killer of old folk!

Not whining about camera weight from a absolute point, just I don't get why I would buy this system when Fuji offers a medium format 100mp system that is the same size/weight.

A FF mirrorless camera, IMO, should be smaller/lighter than a much higher resolution/quality medium format mirrorless camera.

Feb 19, 2021 at 12:34 PM
zhangyue
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Official: Leica APO-Summicron-SL 28mm F2 ASPH lens ($5,195)

Well, Leica donít know gfx100s at the time develop SL system.

I kind of agree the system may not for everyone. At least I personally havenít bought any SL glasses yet. However, I can clearly see the system is still attractive and niche for certain customers include some fashion pros. Maybe that is all Leica needed for their system. They donít need a broader appreciation as other brand or systems.

Desmolicious wrote:
Not whining about camera weight from a absolute point, just I don't get why I would buy this system when Fuji offers a medium format 100mp system that is the same size/weight.

A FF mirrorless camera, IMO, should be smaller/lighter than a much higher resolution/quality medium format mirrorless camera.

Feb 19, 2021 at 12:57 PM
LBJ2
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Official: Leica APO-Summicron-SL 28mm F2 ASPH lens ($5,195)

Desmolicious wrote:

It is interesting that both SL and Panasonic decided to come with such large FF mirrorless camera body. Probably something to do with a better balanced design with what both company's knew were going to be large L-Mount Leica/Panasonic FF mirrorless lenses both prime and zoom.

Feb 19, 2021 at 01:23 PM
SlowDriver
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Official: Leica APO-Summicron-SL 28mm F2 ASPH lens ($5,195)

LBJ2 wrote:
It is interesting that both SL and Panasonic decided to come with such large FF mirrorless camera body. Probably something to do with a better balanced design with what both company's knew were going to be large L-Mount Leica/Panasonic FF mirrorless lenses both prime and zoom.

Panasonic corrected that in the meanwhile though with the S5... the body is 200g lighter than the SL2... Both Panasonic and Sigma also started releasing smaller lenses... it is only Leica that is still in denial...

Feb 19, 2021 at 01:31 PM
LBJ2
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Official: Leica APO-Summicron-SL 28mm F2 ASPH lens ($5,195)

SlowDriver wrote:
Panasonic corrected that in the meanwhile though with the S5... the body is 200g lighter than the SL2... Both Panasonic and Sigma also started releasing smaller lenses... it is only Leica that is still in denial...

OTOH, sure seems like many, many more forum comments for years now in favor of DSLR sized camera bodies

Feb 19, 2021 at 01:55 PM
zhangyue
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Official: Leica APO-Summicron-SL 28mm F2 ASPH lens ($5,195)

LBJ2 wrote:
OTOH, sure seems like many, many more forum comments for years now in favor of DSLR sized camera bodies

Yes, I personally don't mind camera size like SL2 at all. If Leica introduce a CL like full frame, I'd welcome for that as well as 2nd body. There is hole in SL line I think but SL2 is not a problem IMO.

For camera like SL2, or for Z8/9, A1 matters, size is really not a concern IMHO if they want keep priority for ergo, ruggedness and reliability.

Again, If their cron have real aperture ring and focus ring, I don't mind get a few at asking as well. The thing is I don't trust Leica AF tech. If they fail, they are useless to me. So that is a hard sale part for me personally. I do wish they are smaller but those are not major barrier for me at least.

Feb 19, 2021 at 02:10 PM
Alpha_Geist
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Official: Leica APO-Summicron-SL 28mm F2 ASPH lens ($5,195)

LBJ2 wrote:
@Alpha_Geist. Are you able to hear the same 35/2 autofocus as Jesse presents in his video with your new SL2-S SL 35/2 kit?

I donít recall the lens making any noise when I shot it last a few weeks ago. Iíll check when I get home later tonight and reply back with my observations. 👍

Feb 19, 2021 at 04:19 PM
LBJ2
• • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Official: Leica APO-Summicron-SL 28mm F2 ASPH lens ($5,195)

Alpha_Geist wrote:
I donít recall the lens making any noise when I shot it last a few weeks ago. Iíll check when I get home later tonight and reply back with my observations. 👍

From what I read, the SL2-S has the latest focus system, so am curious if that might make a difference or not.

Feb 19, 2021 at 04:29 PM
imagesfromobjects
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Official: Leica APO-Summicron-SL 28mm F2 ASPH lens ($5,195)

YES!!! FINALLY A 28mm!!!!

Oh, wait.....

Feb 19, 2021 at 04:39 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password