Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Why should I get the new Sony 35 1.4 G master for weddings

Njphotostudio
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Why should I get the new Sony 35 1.4 G master for weddings

I do wedding photography ( I changed from Canon to Sony)
I have two Sony 7aiii, one Sony 24-70 2.8 G master and a Canon 85 1.4 IS with Sigma MC-11 adapter
Why should I get the new Sony 35 1.4 G master?
Let's go.

Feb 11, 2021 at 02:00 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Why should I get the new Sony 35 1.4 G master for weddings

'cause it's it's anything like the Canon 35L II, it will be AWESOME!

lol - seriously, those fast 35 are just so dreamy. Mine doesn't get used much at weddings, but it's my favorite lens for personal journaling / family / world travel. It's difficult to put into words the special look that lens delivers. Unlike your 85L 1.4, the 35L II has that special 'anti blue goo' so CA is super low at 1.4 (I find the fringing on the 85 to be off putting).

Feb 11, 2021 at 02:22 PM
Njphotostudio
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Why should I get the new Sony 35 1.4 G master for weddings

Thanks, great answer. the reviews on this new sony 35 1.4 are awesome. Really thinking of getting it when I get few more contracts

Feb 11, 2021 at 03:35 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Why should I get the new Sony 35 1.4 G master for weddings

Rent one first. My 35L2 was a refurb from Canon on special markdown and it was still 1350USD. I was tempted get 35Art (had borrowed a friend's and liked it) but then the CanonUSA deal emerged.

At weddings, I'm more of a 50 and 135 shooter — and if I'm using wide angle for effect, it's a 16-35.

That's just me though. We have shooters that rock the 35/85 combo all day. I shoot with a guy often who's 35 and 70-200. Whatever gets you through the night. Focal lengths are so personal.

Feb 11, 2021 at 03:43 PM
njfantastico
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Why should I get the new Sony 35 1.4 G master for weddings

LeeSimms wrote:
Whatever gets you through the night. Focal lengths are so personal.

I would easily agree with that statement. For a very long time, I shot with zooms, they were easier, and they were what I wanted. Now I shoot with a RF 50mm 1.2 and love it, use the RF 15-35 for wide stuff and for the 35mm and a RF 70-200 for the other end. BUT, I still have the RF 24-105 for the backup and just in case, to be covered at a wedding.

Feb 14, 2021 at 11:30 PM
DannyBostwick
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Why should I get the new Sony 35 1.4 G master for weddings

Any Sony glass I have ever owned, even the cheap shit, has been amazing. I don't know I can say better or worse than L glass because I don't have the inclination to truly compare, but I have no reason to believe this lens will be less than perfect. I really like my 35 1.4 with the Zeiss glass. It's probably the nicest lens I have ever owned. Sharp AF, durable, built well, I don't love the aperture ring but I understand why it's there. I'm sure if you buy it, you won't regret it for a second.

Feb 17, 2021 at 09:00 AM
3catsinky
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Why should I get the new Sony 35 1.4 G master for weddings

ditch that pos Canon adapter setup and get an 85GM.
I find the 24F1.4 much more useful.

Feb 25, 2021 at 08:44 PM
gheller
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Why should I get the new Sony 35 1.4 G master for weddings

Njphotostudio wrote:
I have two Sony 7aiii, one Sony 24-70 2.8 G master and a Canon 85 1.4 IS with Sigma MC-11 adapter
Let's go.

You shouldn't - until you compare it to the Sigma. Similar IQ and you'll save a bundle.

g

Mar 05, 2021 at 08:52 PM
Holger
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Why should I get the new Sony 35 1.4 G master for weddings

Because it is fantastic. We got it from Sony yo test it out and it is worth every Penny. We use the Sigma f1.2 lenses up to now, but will get the GM. Sharper. Lighter. Smaller. Less CA. Less flare.

Mar 14, 2021 at 11:35 AM
gheller
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Why should I get the new Sony 35 1.4 G master for weddings

Holger wrote:
Because it is fantastic. We got it from Sony yo test it out and it is worth every Penny. We use the Sigma f1.2 lenses up to now, but will get the GM. Sharper. Lighter. Smaller. Less CA. Less flare.

I personally would prefer to save $$$ and get a *faster* lens in the Sigma. The real world differences are minimal and many of the (so called) issues can be mostly corrected easily in post.

There are some advantages of the Sigma that the Sony doesn't have (e.g.: infinity focusing and FTM focusing). The Sigma also has a metal mount, making it more durable:

https://versus.com/en/sigma-35mm-f-1-2-dg-dn-art-vs-sony-distagon-t-fe-35mm-f1-4-za

There are several great comparisons online.

HTH

g

Mar 14, 2021 at 03:26 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Holger
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Why should I get the new Sony 35 1.4 G master for weddings

gheller wrote:
I personally would prefer to save $$$ and get a *faster* lens in the Sigma. The real world differences are minimal and many of the (so called) issues can be mostly corrected easily in post.

There are some advantages of the Sigma that the Sony doesn't have (e.g.: infinity focusing and FTM focusing). The Sigma also has a metal mount, making it more durable:

https://versus.com/en/sigma-35mm-f-1-2-dg-dn-art-vs-sony-distagon-t-fe-35mm-f1-4-za

There are several great comparisons online.

HTH

g

Having had both side by side (GM, not the Sony ZA from your link. I had this lens, too, but it is visibly softer wide open), I don't really see a big advantage with the Sigma. It surely is a fine lens. It is our most used lens but for my wife it is nice to only carry half the weight for 10-12h constantly at weddings. I keep mine. We shoot against the sun very often and the Sigma flares strongly with rainbow like flares directly in the center on the persons. This alone makes the Sony preferable for us. But others have different preferences and that is fine, too.

Edited on Mar 15, 2021 at 03:48 AM · View previous versions

Mar 14, 2021 at 05:51 PM
gheller
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Why should I get the new Sony 35 1.4 G master for weddings

Holger wrote:
Having had both side by side (GM, not the Sony ZA from your link. I had this lens, too, but it is visibly softer wide open), I don't really see a big advantage with the Sigma. It surely is a fine lens. It is our most used lens but for my wife it is nice to only carry half the wight for 10-12h constantly at weddings. I keep mine. We shoot against the sun very often and the Sigma flares strongly with rainbow like flares directly in the center on the persons. This alone makes the Sony preferable for us.
...Show more

That is good info. Just recently picked up the Sigma 85mm f/1.4 DG DN. I guess with this FL, there is more difference in price for a nearly equivalent lens as compared to the Sony GM.

Regards!

greg

Mar 14, 2021 at 07:15 PM
Holger
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Why should I get the new Sony 35 1.4 G master for weddings

gheller wrote:
That is good info. Just recently picked up the Sigma 85mm f/1.4 DG DN. I guess with this FL, there is more difference in price for a nearly equivalent lens as compared to the Sony GM.

Regards!

greg

Absolutely. I had the GM and sold it for the Sigma 85 DN. Here, personally, I see the Sigma as a better alternative. A great lens esp. for the price!

Mar 15, 2021 at 03:47 AM
elkhornsun
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Why should I get the new Sony 35 1.4 G master for weddings

There are only three primes I have ever used for weddings. A 50mm f/1.4 back when cameras produced unusable images at a ISO greater than 800, and when autofocus consisted of a single sensor in the center of the frame. I used a 24mm f/1.4 only because I was shooting with Canon and their 16-35mm f/2.8 lens was terrible, almost as bad as their 24-70mm f/2.8 L lens. When I switched to Nikon I was able to use their 105mm f/2.0 DC defocus control which was great for post wedding portrait photos of the bride.

I shot a wedding with two bodies and one died completely just as the processional was to begin. I shot the entire wedding with 3 zoom lenses and the one camera body. I missed a great many shots while changing lenses on the camera.

A prime is a poor choice for 99% of the weddings I have photographed as I want to be able to move from a group shot at close distance to a shot of a couple and anyone who says you can zoom with your feet is a complete idiot. I seldom have room to move at all during the reception where if a room was designed to hold 100 people it is guaranteed that the venue manager will say it can hold 150 people and when the tables and chairs are added there is room for 50 people and that is to say 50 thin people.

I prefer to use a second photographer as that person can be at one side of the ceremony location or the reception venue and so if something needs to be photographed away from where I happen to be the shot is not lost, as running over there is not viable for multiple reasons.

I can tell when I look at wedding albums if the photographer relied on prime lenses as the framing will suck. 50 years ago when wedding photographers used 4x5 Speed Graphics or 40 years ago when they used 35mm rangefinder cameras or 30 years ago when zooms provided marginal image quality, there was a need to use a prime lens. Today it is an affectation on the part of photographers who are focused on their egos and not the work product for their clients.

Mar 23, 2021 at 02:32 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Why should I get the new Sony 35 1.4 G master for weddings

When I was shooting weddings, I preferred lenses with an f1.8-2 aperture, they were lighter, much less expensive and focused faster than their f1.4 counterparts. I could never find anything about an f1.4 lens to justify the price that I could not do with an f1.8 lens. Plus weddings are hard on gear, it was too easy to smack an expensive less against a table to something.

Most of the day I was shooting two bodies with either a 35/85 combo, at receptions with small rooms and dance floors I might go 28/85 or 24/50.

Mar 27, 2021 at 01:05 PM
elkhornsun
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Why should I get the new Sony 35 1.4 G master for weddings

The only primes I have ever used at weddings have been a 24mm f/1.4 and a 50mm f/1.4 and both were used to compensate for low light situations in the days when ISO 1600 was the highest usable setting. With cameras produced over the past 10 years a f/2.8 zoom works far better than a prime lens.

With primes I would either have too narrow or too wide a view angle and need to spend a lot more time in post prcessing of images. No way to do cropping in batch so it means cropping image by image after the wedding.

I have missed too many shots as a result of not being able to move around in a church or at a crowded reception location, even with zoom lenses. Shooting with primes would only have made the situation far worse.

I had one of my cameras fail completely as the processional was to begin. I spent the day switching between a 24-70mm and 70-200mm lenses and missed many shots from having the wrong zoom attached or from having no lens on the camera as I was switching lenses. After that experience I bought a third camera body so I really did have a backup camera.

Prime lenses made sense some 30 years ago when most cameras were rangefinders and zoom lenses were medicocre. They still do when it comes to macro or wildlife or landscape or architectural photography but zoom lenses are far better for event photography.

And by the way, the Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8 and 24-70mm f/2.8 were both sharper at 24mm than my Canon L 24mm f/1.4 prime lens.

Apr 15, 2021 at 11:46 AM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Why should I get the new Sony 35 1.4 G master for weddings

> And by the way, the Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8 and 24-70mm f/2.8 were both sharper at 24mm than my Canon L 24mm f/1.4 prime lens.

The 24L was 10 years older and most things in photography got better from 1997 to 2007, particularly lens design (thank you, supercomputers). Moving to present day, modern designs for mirrorless are in a different league all together. It's a rare lens from the 1990's the stands out today — like the 135L

Apr 15, 2021 at 12:08 PM
mdvaden
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Why should I get the new Sony 35 1.4 G master for weddings

Njphotostudio wrote:
Let's go.

My question is why did you ask, since you likely have read reviews already.

"Let's go" ... the reasons for asking are?

And in light of weddings, that is.

Apr 17, 2021 at 11:16 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Why should I get the new Sony 35 1.4 G master for weddings

elkhornsun wrote:
There are only three primes I have ever used for weddings. A 50mm f/1.4 back when cameras produced unusable images at a ISO greater than 800, and when autofocus consisted of a single sensor in the center of the frame. I used a 24mm f/1.4 only because I was shooting with Canon and their 16-35mm f/2.8 lens was terrible, almost as bad as their 24-70mm f/2.8 L lens. When I switched to Nikon I was able to use their 105mm f/2.0 DC defocus control which was great for post wedding portrait photos of the bride.

I shot a wedding with
...Show more

Lets just remember this is one shooters perception.
I have mixed it up with all primes or all zooms at weddings.
many times it is what I am feeling that day.

zoom with feet can work. and there are times when this just does not work.... been there. but I knew of this situation before hand.
Miss a shot because of changing a lens. reality.... maybe. I am sure I have missed a few....but this is more about getting a feel of the wedding and who are the outgoing people.
Understanding where moments might happen.

At the end of the day it is about delivering to the client and what matters to them. You throw your touch but it is not about shooting for yourself.

Apr 18, 2021 at 12:07 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Why should I get the new Sony 35 1.4 G master for weddings

Yes, echoing Mario's question, Eddie is it a question of spending large on a 35 prime for weddings or the G-Master specifically?

Have you ever rocked the 35/85 combo at weddings? A lot of shooters prefer that combo.

Apr 18, 2021 at 02:26 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password