Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              16       17       end

Sigma I Series Image Thread (E-mount and L-mount)

tsdevine
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Sigma I Series Image Thread (E-mount and L-mount)

Will do......if we end up doing that, will buy the FM B&S beforehand.

Teo Rey wrote:
If you do decide to sell one of them can I buy it off you?

Feb 15, 2021 at 12:04 PM
zhangyue
• • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Sigma I Series Image Thread (E-mount and L-mount)

Sigma 65mm with SL2

SL2_Sigma65mm by ZHNL, on Flickr

Feb 16, 2021 at 02:25 PM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Sigma I Series Image Thread (E-mount and L-mount)

zhangyue wrote:
Sigma 65mm with SL2

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50913956131_7d3ed15a2d_h.jpgSL2_Sigma65mm by ZHNL, on Flickr

What are you thinking of the 65/2?

I tempted to pick one up, but might be a little to clean/bland/sterile for me. Can't decide.

Great photo too

Feb 16, 2021 at 03:33 PM
zhangyue
• • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Sigma I Series Image Thread (E-mount and L-mount)

nehemiahphoto wrote:

I tempted to pick one up, but might be a little to clean/bland/sterile for me. Can't decide.

Great photo too

Thanks.

I don't know how to evaluate it, it has slightly higher performance than 35i on SL2. I do have a feeling that it is not long enough to 85mm or short enough to 50mm. It is quite obvious, is it? I hope you get what I am trying to say. I just need get use to the focal length given the fact I use 50 and 80-100 a lot more in my past experience.

I can't say I love it but it simply delivers with smooth bokeh, corner problem free, sharp, small, nicely build and nice color correction. It is a good student without much character. I still enjoy using it though as I can focus on shooting without thinking too much how to avoid problem as there is really no much problem to avoid. I guess similar can be said for 35i, just it is more rare for 35mm lens behave like this.

35i and FP

FP_sigma351 by ZHNL, on Flickr

FP_sigma352 by ZHNL, on Flickr

Feb 17, 2021 at 12:56 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Sigma I Series Image Thread (E-mount and L-mount)

nehemiahphoto wrote:

Great photo too

The Sigma 65/2 has the highest resolution/contrast from the Series I lenses. Everything is well corrected including SA, so you get neutral rendering. Like @zhangyue wrote, OOF corners are well behaved and optical vignetting is better than average. It may be too perfect for you though.

Feb 17, 2021 at 01:16 PM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Sigma I Series Image Thread (E-mount and L-mount)

Fred Miranda wrote:
The Sigma 65/2 has the highest resolution/contrast from the Series I lenses. Everything is well corrected including SA, so you get neutral rendering. Like @zhangyue@ wrote, OOF corners are well behaved and optical vignetting is better than average. It may be too perfect for you though.

Thank Fred. Yeah, I think it would be a bit too clean and clinical for me. I do like more personality and SA, and I am not too concerned about sharpness. When I get to 50mm and above, I want some character generally as one of the primarily uses becomes portraits where tonal nuances, softness and general personality becomes far more important (at least to me).

@Zhangyue I know just what you mean on all accounts. I think I'll pass for now. If it were in the 75-85mm I would probably pull the trigger even though it's a bit cleaner than I would like, but 65mm screws up my spacing. While I like the 35i, I would like if it had more SA, but generally for a 35mm that is going to shoot all subjects and with the wider AOV, I want something that isn't going to be ugly/rough/distracting with the increased atmospheric intake.

My fingers will remain crossed for a 75-90/2i with a bit more character. Photos below are all 35i

Feb 17, 2021 at 01:41 PM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Sigma I Series Image Thread (E-mount and L-mount)

zhangyue wrote:
Thanks.

I don't know how to evaluate it, it has slightly higher performance than 35i on SL2. I do have a feeling that it is not long enough to 85mm or short enough to 50mm. It is quite obvious, is it? I hope you get what I am trying to say. I just need get use to the focal length given the fact I use 50 and 80-100 a lot more in my past experience.

I can't say I love it but it simply delivers with smooth bokeh, corner problem free, sharp, small, nicely build and nice color
...Show more

I also like the textural and tonal quality very much on the bottom half of the 2nd photo.

Feb 17, 2021 at 01:50 PM
zhangyue
• • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Sigma I Series Image Thread (E-mount and L-mount)

Nice set. 35i is shining in your hand.

I agree with you about 35mm focal length. If you want bring it to everywhere to do most thing right, it better is consistent. It is more valuable than character. RX1’s value to me is not character for sure but consistent and versatile in a small package.

35/65/105 can be a nice set. As long as you think 65 is a long 50, 65 start making lot sense as 35 and 50 will be too close and 35/85 will miss important focal (50) between. With modern high pixel sensor, crop can be a new zoom, 65 as wider 85 isn’t too bad. 45mm is a outlier but it make perfect single lens out.

35i is really sweet being wider IMHO. I’d like to see a 20mm, and 90-135mm for the I series. With 35 and 65, it is too late for 28i as I don’t want either overlap or shuffle (buy and sell) again.

nehemiahphoto wrote:
Thank Fred. Yeah, I think it would be a bit too clean and clinical for me. I do like more personality and SA, and I am not too concerned about sharpness. When I get to 50mm and above, I want some character generally as one of the primarily uses becomes portraits where tonal nuances, softness and general personality becomes far more important (at least to me).

@Zhangyue@@@ I know just what you mean on all accounts. I think I'll pass for now. If it were in the 75-85mm I would probably pull the trigger even though it's a bit cleaner than
...Show more

Feb 17, 2021 at 02:01 PM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Sigma I Series Image Thread (E-mount and L-mount)

zhangyue wrote:
Nice set. 35i is shining in your hand.

I agree with you about 35mm focal length. If you want bring it to everywhere to do most thing right, it better is consistent. It is more valuable than character. RX1’s value to me is not character for sure but consistent and versatile in a small package.

35/65/105 can be a nice set. As long as you think 65 is a long 50, 65 start making lot sense as 35 and 50 will be too close and 35/85 will miss important focal (50) between. With modern high pixel sensor, crop can be
...Show more

Thanks!!

I do like the RX1, but I also do find it a bit bland sometimes as far as character, though as you say, remarkably consistent, always pleasant--and I never have to shoot around it's weaknesses like many of my other great lenses. I rarely shoot about 75mm-ish or longer (mostly landscape with a 100mm, sometimes portraits). The longer I shoot, I just keep getting wider. I have a Contax G 21 I like, and the GM 24, so a 18-20i would be quite attractive to me. Also, fully agree on the wide 35mm. The Pentax/RX1/35i are all very near in FL, and quite nice, the Pentax being the widest and most preferable to me. The CV 35mm run a little long, so did the ZM 35 and CY 35 1.4, but I didn't test them against other options like I did the CV's.

Feb 17, 2021 at 02:40 PM
rico
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Sigma I Series Image Thread (E-mount and L-mount)

zhangyue wrote:
35/65/105 can be a nice set.

Spacing is the True Burden of every prime shooter. After I pick up the 24i, my AF prime spacing will be 24/45/100. For manual focus, my spacing is 28/50/100 (CZ Contax).

Feb 19, 2021 at 08:33 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Sigma I Series Image Thread (E-mount and L-mount)

Sigma 35mm f/2 DG DN - Sunstar at f/22

I like it a lot and wish the 24/3.5 and 45/2.8C could do this as well but unfortunately they share the same 7-blade aperture that not yield well-defined sunstars even at f/22.

Feb 22, 2021 at 09:58 PM
photosbyjaron
• •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Sigma I Series Image Thread (E-mount and L-mount)

Just to keep this thread active, here's a shot with the 35/2. I recently used a new puppy as the explanation/excuse to the wife to try out new lenses. Far more processing than most forum members probably prefer, but my wife loved the edited picture, so it was a win in my book. Still undecided if it really offers enough wow factor versus the convenience of my 24-70 DGDN, but the size and form factor are very nice.

Feb 26, 2021 at 05:19 PM
fotografur
• • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Sigma I Series Image Thread (E-mount and L-mount)

photosbyjaron wrote:
Just to keep this thread active, here's a shot with the 35/2. I recently used a new puppy as the explanation/excuse to the wife to try out new lenses. Far more processing than most forum members probably prefer, but my wife loved the edited picture, so it was a win in my book. Still undecided if it really offers enough wow factor versus the convenience of my 24-70 DGDN, but the size and form factor are very nice.

Awwww. Nice

Feb 26, 2021 at 08:16 PM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Sigma I Series Image Thread (E-mount and L-mount)

photosbyjaron wrote:

Cute puppy--looks like he's going to be a tall one with those long legs! How old in this photo?

Just met my friends new son. All 35i WO:

Feb 28, 2021 at 03:11 PM
C.Rankin
• •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Sigma I Series Image Thread (E-mount and L-mount)

Sigma FP 65mm F2

Retro Car 3 IG (1 of 1) by Christopher Rankin, on Flickr

Mar 01, 2021 at 11:44 AM
photosbyjaron
• •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Sigma I Series Image Thread (E-mount and L-mount)

nehemiahphoto wrote:
Cute puppy--looks like he's going to be a tall one with those long legs! How old in this photo?

Just met my friends new son. All 35i WO:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50990384592_b1b84d87c6_k.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50990384622_ea26b35c0d_k.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50990384647_f7e3d0b86d_k.jpg

Just under 13 weeks when we took that shot. Crazy how fast they grow. That was taken on 2/20/21.

Those are some incredible shots with that 35i! Precious images.

Mar 01, 2021 at 12:09 PM
photosbyjaron
• •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Sigma I Series Image Thread (E-mount and L-mount)

Just to bump this up to keep it active, here's a shot of the pups with the 65mm (processed and cropped so may be of little use in evaluating the lens, but my wife loves it). I must admit that I prefer the 65mm focal length for photographing the pup in our little basement "studio" over the 85mm. Just allows a little bit more space for full body shots.

Mar 05, 2021 at 12:26 PM
FJR1
• • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Sigma I Series Image Thread (E-mount and L-mount)

Simple breakfast with Sigma 35 f/2

Sony ILCE-7RM3 35mm F2 DG DN | Contemporary 020 ƒ/2.0 35.0 mm SS 1/80 ISO 250

Mar 06, 2021 at 06:24 PM
tbpeur01
• •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Sigma I Series Image Thread (E-mount and L-mount)

Focus isn’t as sharp here as i’d like, but I do like the rendering of the background.

Mar 06, 2021 at 06:28 PM
zhangyue
• • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Sigma I Series Image Thread (E-mount and L-mount)

I love the clean look this lens give.
65mm SL2

untitled-2 by ZHNL, on Flickr

untitled-3 by ZHNL, on Flickr

Mar 09, 2021 at 12:17 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.