FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              33      
       end

Sigma 35mm f/2 DG DN Contemporary Review

wolfloid
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.34 #1 · p.34 #1 · Sigma 35mm f/2 DG DN Contemporary Review

The Sigma is boring competent in about every way. It is almost impossible to tell Sigma images from those made by the Tamron or the Samyang 35mm F1.8.

This is deeply misinformed. In a recent test on here, just last week, dozens of members were able to identify the Sigma 35i just from its excellent, smooth bokeh. On top of that, it is sharp, corner to corner wide open. One could hardly ask for more, add in an aperture ring and excellent build quality, and it distinguishes itself easily in IQ and general mechanical and haptic quality from the also good Sony, Tamron and Samyang 1.8s very clearly

Feb 21, 2024 at 08:29 AM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.34 #2 · p.34 #2 · Sigma 35mm f/2 DG DN Contemporary Review

QuietOC wrote:
None of these are like older 35mm or 40mm lenses I've tried. The Sony FE 1.8/35 is the one most easily identified from images. It has a very specific character especially stopped down.

The Sigma is boring competent in about every way. It is almost impossible to tell Sigma images from those made by the Tamron or the Samyang 35mm F1.8.

The 2.5/40G is a bit less identifiable than the FE 1.8/35, but more so than the three mentioned above.

You E-mount people can be so dramatic

Feb 21, 2024 at 10:28 AM
ReleaseDrive
• •
p.34 #3 · p.34 #3 · Sigma 35mm f/2 DG DN Contemporary Review

Decided to ditch my 35mm 1.7 ultron this week. I got enough Sigma 35mm f2 pics in to determine the difference wasn't worth it to me. I'd rather have AF and slim down my kit (I've sold all my M mount lenses in the past few months).

I'm now going to shoot the Sigma 35mm F2, 40mm f2.5, 45mm 2.8 and 50mm 2.5 until the summer since I have them all. Then will determine which line I build up.

Probably Sigma....

Feb 21, 2024 at 05:49 PM
darrenhaken
• •
p.34 #4 · p.34 #4 · Sigma 35mm f/2 DG DN Contemporary Review

ReleaseDrive wrote:
Decided to ditch my 35mm 1.7 ultron this week. I got enough Sigma 35mm f2 pics in to determine the difference wasn't worth it to me. I'd rather have AF and slim down my kit (I've sold all my M mount lenses in the past few months).

I'm now going to shoot the Sigma 35mm F2, 40mm f2.5, 45mm 2.8 and 50mm 2.5 until the summer since I have them all. Then will determine which line I build up.

Probably Sigma....

What are your current thoughts on the sigma 35mm vs the 40mm f2.5 then?

Feb 22, 2024 at 01:19 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

ISO1600
• • • • •
p.34 #5 · p.34 #5 · Sigma 35mm f/2 DG DN Contemporary Review

Sold my Sigma 35, not because of the lens (it's great), but because of the FP's lousy autofocus lol.

Feb 22, 2024 at 05:20 AM
ReleaseDrive
• •
p.34 #6 · p.34 #6 · Sigma 35mm f/2 DG DN Contemporary Review

darrenhaken wrote:
What are your current thoughts on the sigma 35mm vs the 40mm f2.5 then?

The 40mm is sharper off [email protected] and 2.8 but I expected that given it's a 40mm. I'm a fan of 40mm but will always prefer 35mm. After more outside portraits, I'm noticing though that the 35mm f2 has nicer bokeh on average in the center and mid frame. Noticeably so. I like the balance of the 35mm in terms of sharpness and OOF rendering. I tend to edit the backgrounds on most of my 40 images. Love the sharpness but def. not my favorite OOF rendering.

I'd go with the FL you prefer and if the best AF-C is a priority then 40mm 2.5. The size difference IMO is..eh. Neither is all that big and I haven't been using the hood on the 35mm f2.

Feb 22, 2024 at 03:51 PM
Garmadon

p.34 #7 · p.34 #7 · Sigma 35mm f/2 DG DN Contemporary Review

I wanted to open a new thread about it.
I think 28mm is the best one lens solution for me.
I thought maybe to work with a 24mm lens in 4:3 crop in order to get somthing similar to a 28mm.
What are the chances for a new compact 28mm f2 with AF ?
This hole in the lineup is so strange... (sony /samyang/sigma).

wolfloid wrote:
It is even more strange when we all know that the Sony 28/2 offering is nothing to write home about - too long, no aperture ring, and lacklustre performance. It is low-hanging fruit for Sigma.

A 50mm long 28/2 would be perfect!

Feb 26, 2024 at 06:10 AM
AndrewNYC
• • •
p.34 #8 · p.34 #8 · Sigma 35mm f/2 DG DN Contemporary Review

wolfloid wrote:
It is even more strange when we all know that the Sony 28/2 offering is nothing to write home about - too long, no aperture ring, and lacklustre performance. It is low-hanging fruit for Sigma.

A 50mm long 28/2 would be perfect!

I'm not sure I agree that the 28MM f2 FE is lackluster other than the lens build. I think it's prone to fringing but I find it sharp and really nice rendering. Frankly the output I find very similar to the Leica Q2 28MM without the obscene distortion fo the Leica 28MM (which is fixed by software, which results in cropping)

Mar 06, 2024 at 01:53 PM
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.