Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              28      
29
       end
  

Sigma 35mm f/2 DG DN Contemporary Review

  
 
Steve Spencer
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.29 #1 · p.29 #1 · Sigma 35mm f/2 DG DN Contemporary Review


vdo1 wrote:
If you didn't feel it was a question, why did you answer it?

Not to mention the strawman type of response - I say "Glimmerglass is new", you argue that "Not a new kid in town at all. Diffusion filters have been around for decades.". Do you even know when Tiffen introduced Glimmerglass?


As I said above I responded to your argument because it was such a bad argument it was annoying. I should have let it pass. It wasn't a question, obviously. You also need to learn what a strawman argument is. You clearly don't understand that concept. I took your statement about the Glimmerglass being the new kid on the block at face value. If you meant that to be sarcastic it certainly was not clear you meant it that way. Basically, you tried to make a snarky, sarcastic comment and failed. I should have ignored your annoying comment. I will try to do so in the future, but as I said it is hard to do so when the arguments are so bad.



Nov 10, 2022 at 07:21 AM
vdo1
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.29 #2 · p.29 #2 · Sigma 35mm f/2 DG DN Contemporary Review


Steve Spencer wrote:
As I said above I responded to your argument because it was such a bad argument it was annoying. I should have let it pass. It wasn't a question, obviously. You also need to learn what a strawman argument is. You clearly don't understand that concept. I took your statement about the Glimmerglass being the new kid on the block at face value. If you meant that to be sarcastic it certainly was not clear you meant it that way. Basically, you tried to make a snarky, sarcastic comment and failed. I should have ignored your annoying comment. I
...Show more

Wikipedia: "A straw man (sometimes written as strawman) is a form of argument and an informal fallacy of having the impression of refuting an argument, whereas the real subject of the argument was not addressed or refuted, but instead replaced with a false one".

Like in substituting "Glimmerglass" with "diffusion filters".

But of course you knew that.



Nov 10, 2022 at 08:20 AM
newdom
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.29 #3 · p.29 #3 · Sigma 35mm f/2 DG DN Contemporary Review


vdo1 wrote:
I'm not surprised. It takes a certain level of confusion to claim that Fred is posting reviews of defective lens. Cary on, similarly minded people "like" it.



I wasn't claiming anything of the sort. If you'd bothered to read/parse the posts at the position of the link you posted, it was about a clearly faulty lens and nothing to do with Fred's review. You sound like a 10 year old rage posting from his parent's basement. Grow up.

To actually contribute something vaguely relevant to the rest of the thread, I had a bit of an obsession with 35mm(ish) E-mount lenses and have had several copies of the Sigma 35i and the Sony 35/1.8 (as well as 35/1.4 DG DN, 35GM, Samyang 35/1.8, Sony 40G). My personal favourites are the two Sigmas for their rendering/contrast/colours (which is a purely personal/subjective quality of course). They are just beautifully built, with really lovely optics. They're not quite as well CA corrected as the 65i and 85/1.4DGDN, but still very good. The 35GM is really nice too but for an amateur/hobbyist it's not worth the money for me. I've also found Sigma to be the most consistent in terms of QA/centering - followed by Sony and then Samyang a bit back from both.



Nov 10, 2022 at 08:33 AM
Steve Spencer
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.29 #4 · p.29 #4 · Sigma 35mm f/2 DG DN Contemporary Review


vdo1 wrote:
Wikipedia: "A straw man (sometimes written as strawman) is a form of argument and an informal fallacy of having the impression of refuting an argument, whereas the real subject of the argument was not addressed or refuted, but instead replaced with a false one".

Like in substituting "Glimmerglass" with "diffusion filters".

But of course you knew that.


No, my argument was not a strawman because Glimmerglass is a specific type of diffusion filter and what I said about diffusion filters also applies to Glimmerglass. But if you understood what the definition you quote actually meant you would know that my argument was not a strawman, but this is just another specific example of how you make bad arguments and don't understand the terms you use,



Nov 10, 2022 at 11:39 AM
darrellc
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.29 #5 · p.29 #5 · Sigma 35mm f/2 DG DN Contemporary Review


Picture taken with Sigma 35/2 DG DN, wide open. Apropos?







Nov 10, 2022 at 11:58 AM
vdo1
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.29 #6 · p.29 #6 · Sigma 35mm f/2 DG DN Contemporary Review


Steve Spencer wrote:
No, my argument was not a strawman because Glimmerglass is a specific type of diffusion filter and what I said about diffusion filters also applies to Glimmerglass. But if you understood what the definition you quote actually meant you would know that my argument was not a strawman, but this is just another specific example of how you make bad arguments and don't understand the terms you use,


"There's this new kid in town Nissan Ariya" - "Not a new kid in town at all. Cars have been around for decades".

Can't see nor hear any fallacy here, would you, Mr. Spencer?

At this point it's pretty clear that what you're really into is "winning the thread", if not through valid arguments, then through exhaustion of the other participants. How predictable.... Go ahead, win it!!!!



Nov 10, 2022 at 12:09 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

fotografur
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.29 #7 · p.29 #7 · Sigma 35mm f/2 DG DN Contemporary Review


vdo1 wrote:
"There's this new kid in town Nissan Ariya" - "Not a new kid in town at all. Cars have been around for decades".

Can't see nor hear any fallacy here, would you, Mr. Spencer?

At this point it's pretty clear that what you're really into is "winning the thread", if not through valid arguments, then through exhaustion of the other participants. How predictable.... Go ahead, win it!!!!


How about for the sake of us all you just STOP.



Nov 10, 2022 at 12:58 PM
dieterson
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.29 #8 · p.29 #8 · Sigma 35mm f/2 DG DN Contemporary Review


Lets continue to exchange your experiences about the Sigma 35 f2 DG DN. Did somebody compare the bokeh with the Sigma 35 f1.4 DG DN Art at f2.0? (Would be interested)


Nov 10, 2022 at 01:43 PM
rock0052
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.29 #9 · p.29 #9 · Sigma 35mm f/2 DG DN Contemporary Review




dieterson wrote:
Lets continue to exchange your experiences about the Sigma 35 f2 DG DN. Did somebody compare the bokeh with the Sigma 35 f1.4 DG DN Art at f2.0? (Would be interested)


Same. I'm caught waffling between whether or not the smaller form factor is worth the tradeoff in bokeh...



Nov 29, 2022 at 12:00 PM
ReleaseDrive
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.29 #10 · p.29 #10 · Sigma 35mm f/2 DG DN Contemporary Review


One thing I've noticed about all the Sigma i series (This includes the 65 despite prioritizing sharpness more so than the others)...is the smooth bokeh up close.

I don't think this comes out enough in all the reviews I've read. Yes, the 45 certainly takes the cake but they all have essentially this same strength. For subjects under 3 meters, the backgrounds are just really really nice.

Stopped down, mid aperture bokeh. Non of my Tamron or Sony g series achieve this. Which is fine, they prioritize other attributes. However, Sigma's just go that extra mile.



Nov 29, 2022 at 07:43 PM
darrenhaken
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.29 #11 · p.29 #11 · Sigma 35mm f/2 DG DN Contemporary Review




Fred Miranda wrote:
I still think the Sigma 35/2 DG DN is one of the best 35mm lenses for the Sony. I also love the fact that's a bit wider than 35mm. Similar to the RX1R's angle of view.

Fred - would your vote go to the Sigma i35 or the Sony 35mm 1.8 for an everyday, family compact lens? Which do you think is the better of the two?

Hopefully you see this and have the time to reply.



Dec 07, 2022 at 03:49 AM
1       2       3              28      
29
       end






FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              28      
29
       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password