Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              56      
       end

Pre-Order Sony Alpha A1 (50MP, 30fps, 8K)

somersettr
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.57 #1 · p.57 #1 · Pre-Order Sony Alpha A1 (50MP, 30fps, 8K)

shadow9d9 wrote:
With full sized jpegs embedded in raw files on the A1, what do you guys use your 2nd slot for? I have always done raw with one and jpeg with the other.

Also, has anyone tried one of the CF express cards in one slot and a 300mb/s uhs in the other? What happens if one is clear while the other isn't yet? Does it still allow you to shoot?

I've seen this in a previous thread but forgotten where. Could you remind me how to extract the full-sized jpeg from the raw file. I have exiftool.

Mar 17, 2021 at 04:25 AM
j4nu
• • • •
p.57 #2 · p.57 #2 · Pre-Order Sony Alpha A1 (50MP, 30fps, 8K)

"exiftool(-k).exe" -b -jpgFromRaw DSC06630.ARW > DSC06630.jpg

Mar 17, 2021 at 05:26 AM
Jemini
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.57 #3 · p.57 #3 · Pre-Order Sony Alpha A1 (50MP, 30fps, 8K)

I was looking for this too. So if you want to go through 1000's of files how long it will take to extract all of them? I can also convert all of them in PS (automated). Is this faster than PS?

j4nu wrote:

Mar 17, 2021 at 07:00 AM
somersettr
• •
p.57 #4 · p.57 #4 · Pre-Order Sony Alpha A1 (50MP, 30fps, 8K)

j4nu wrote:

Thanks!

Mar 17, 2021 at 07:14 AM
j4nu
• • • •
p.57 #5 · p.57 #5 · Pre-Order Sony Alpha A1 (50MP, 30fps, 8K)

Jemini wrote:
I was looking for this too. So if you want to go through 1000's of files how long it will take to extract all of them? I can also convert all of them in PS (automated). Is this faster than PS?

It should be possible to write a batch script for windows / mac / linux fairly easily that processes the contents of a chosen folder. I'll try to check it out in the evening...

For me the main value of embedded jpeg is that I have a sort of a "reference" I can compare my processed RAW to ...

Mar 17, 2021 at 07:16 AM
Daran
• • •
p.57 #6 · p.57 #6 · Pre-Order Sony Alpha A1 (50MP, 30fps, 8K)

shadow9d9 wrote:
With full sized jpegs embedded in raw files on the A1, what do you guys use your 2nd slot for? I have always done raw with one and jpeg with the other.

Also, has anyone tried one of the CF express cards in one slot and a 300mb/s uhs in the other? What happens if one is clear while the other isn't yet? Does it still allow you to shoot?

No. If you shoot to both cards than buffering will slow down if either card is busy. If you shoot RAW+JPEG, the slower card being used for JPEG will likely be faster than the faster card for RAWs.

Mar 17, 2021 at 09:38 AM
j4nu
• • • •
p.57 #7 · p.57 #7 · Pre-Order Sony Alpha A1 (50MP, 30fps, 8K)

Has anyone tried the pixel shift mode (17328 x 11552, yay)? I run it for the first time today and I get weird jaggy artifacts around borders. I don't know if that's something one needs to correct in post when pixel shift is used or a bug in PixelShift2DNG I used to merge the files...
Weird thing is I don't really see those artifacts (or too a much lesser extent) in LR when viewing the combined DNG, but they are there in CO and in both cases after exporting to JPEG.
Edit: Actually they only look good in LR in Library mode, because after clicking "Embedded Preview" or going into Develop shows the same jaggies...

Edit#2: In ImagingEdge there is an option to actually correct this kind of artifact, so I guess it's normal for pixel-shift...

#Edit#3: Maybe my tripod was not stable enough (but at 135mm, f/4 and 1/400s that shouldn't matter I guess) or there are still some bugs in the software to combine the pictures coming out of A1, but the end result is worse then the the original (after zooming in 200% to match the scale) in my case. At least the couple shots I tried today all turned out the same: visible jagged artifacts on edges/borders and less sharp in general than the original.

Different Px Shift Multi Shoot. Correction values in Imaging Edge + upscaled original at the bottom-right corner:

Edit#4: Found this topic here which deals with the same problem: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1646036/0?keyword=pixel,shift#15223074
So it seems it's my error, will retry soon .

Edite#5: Managed to get it to work finally. A bit crappy object, but you can see the difference in sharpness:

Mar 17, 2021 at 10:17 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

webmstrk9
• • •
p.57 #8 · p.57 #8 · Pre-Order Sony Alpha A1 (50MP, 30fps, 8K)

So a couple of things of note from a brief outing

Human, Animal, and Bird Eye AF does not work on snakes!
I had issues with the EVF with a strong sun to my back

Mar 18, 2021 at 10:07 AM
webmstrk9
• • •
p.57 #9 · p.57 #9 · Pre-Order Sony Alpha A1 (50MP, 30fps, 8K)

Lossless compress RAW coming to CaptureOne in April

Mar 18, 2021 at 11:19 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.57 #10 · p.57 #10 · Pre-Order Sony Alpha A1 (50MP, 30fps, 8K)

webmstrk9 wrote:
So a couple of things of note from a brief outing

Human, Animal, and Bird Eye AF does not work on snakes!
I had issues with the EVF with a strong sun to my back

I've been waiting for some butterflies and dragonflies to show up to see if it works on them. But just yesterday I aimed the A1 at some tiny sort of fly on a flower and it activated a tiny Eye-AF like square over the entire bug (as it was too small to make a point on its eye). That was strange but maybe it will recognize some insects like bees and flies? The Canon R5 does recognize butterflies and dragonflies and bees and a lot of other random critters. Time will tell how much the A1 can recognize.

Mar 18, 2021 at 12:54 PM
naypay
• •
p.57 #11 · p.57 #11 · Pre-Order Sony Alpha A1 (50MP, 30fps, 8K)

B&H now says expected availability April 6. Assuming that is the next shipment. So almost a month after release. I wonder how many they get and how many are ahead of me in the ordering system. I ordered mid Feb. Wasn’t expecting it quickly but looks like it might be a longer wait.

Mar 19, 2021 at 09:39 AM
j4nu
• • • •
p.57 #12 · p.57 #12 · Pre-Order Sony Alpha A1 (50MP, 30fps, 8K)

j4nu wrote:
It should be possible to write a batch script for windows / mac / linux fairly easily that processes the contents of a chosen folder. I'll try to check it out in the evening...

For me the main value of embedded jpeg is that I have a sort of a "reference" I can compare my processed RAW to ...

Forgot about this, but I've run into the command to extract all jpegs with EXIF from a directory of raws.
I'll put this here in case someone needs to quickly grab jpegs from raws...

"exiftool(-k).exe" -b -jpgfromraw -w %d%f-e.jpg -execute -tagsfromfile @ -srcfile %d%f-e.jpg -overwrite_original -common_args --ext jpg SOURCE_DIR

Mar 30, 2021 at 05:07 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.57 #13 · p.57 #13 · Pre-Order Sony Alpha A1 (50MP, 30fps, 8K)

DXO PhotoLab now supports the Sony A1

Jun 02, 2021 at 07:09 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.57 #14 · p.57 #14 · Pre-Order Sony Alpha A1 (50MP, 30fps, 8K)

Finally in stock as I post this at Adorama:

https://www.adorama.com/isoa1.html

Nov 04, 2021 at 05:01 PM
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password