New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2020 · Minimum post count "2"

ISOMAN

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Minimum post count "2"

Hi, I have bought gear a few times in the past, and have PM'd them regarding questions about the camera, lens etc. I am just wondering if this is something new, not being able to PM? I know I don't have many posts, but I have never had any sort of issue in dealing with members that I have bought from. Just curious?

Thanks,
Jerry

Dec 11, 2020 at 11:00 AM
Ambercat

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Minimum post count "2"

I have the same issue. Please see the thread "PM Reply - Minimum Post Count". It tells you what you already know.

It would be helpful to know the target post count needed to keep PM actives. Of course that would also defeat the purpose of fraud prevention.

I'm mostly lurking on FM. I have much to learn and little to say. I wish more people in the non-FM world would be that way.

Dec 11, 2020 at 01:22 PM
ISOMAN

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Minimum post count "2"

Ambercat I understand about fraud prevention, but if if you need a give amount of posts, unless you meet that requirement, I guess you cannot buy any gear. As I said, I have bought some items prior, also they maybe can look at your paypal account and past purchases? I have always had good luck buying on FM. No issues.

Dec 11, 2020 at 04:13 PM
rsway

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Minimum post count "2"

Okay so I'm in the same boat. Was looking to buy a 24mm 1.4 nikon lens. Couldnt PM the seller. So are we supposed to do all the the communications via the reply button?

Dec 16, 2020 at 08:12 PM
malvas

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Minimum post count "2"

I think there could be a few different factors that should be considered (other than just # of posts or B/S enabled), like:

- Do I have positive transactions from trusted (or w/good feedback) members?
- Did I use Paypal to properly pay for a transaction that started here?
- Do I have a certain number of likes on my posts?

I understand that "trust" it's not a straight-fwd problem to solve, but in my professional experience, a combination of factors is much better than a simple metric that can be gamed by bots.

Dec 22, 2020 at 02:05 PM
thebfg

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Minimum post count "2"

ISOMAN wrote:
...but if if you need a give amount of posts, unless you meet that requirement, I guess you cannot buy any gear.

You can get a paid membership to Upload and Sell and then you would be able to buy, but I agree it's a frustrating requirement.

Fred Miranda:
In order to better protect FM members against fraud, recent member registrations with low post count are no longer able to send private messages. Active Upload and Sell members do not have such restriction since they are further scrutinized.

From the other thread, Fred mentions "recent member registrations" but it seems like it's hitting everyone with low post counts. I've also been a buyer, and I've been registered for 6 years, but I don't frequent the other forums much so my post count is too low.

Dec 23, 2020 at 02:30 PM
Frankton

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Minimum post count "2"

I have bought and sold many times in the past. This new rule is pretty odd. I understand the reasoning, but it is super frustrating.

Dec 23, 2020 at 02:56 PM
rsway

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Minimum post count "2"

Yeah I totally agree. But it's their rule and it's a nice community so I'm okay following what they laid out. I'd rather this than get scammed on a sales.

Dec 29, 2020 at 01:29 PM
rlyons

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Minimum post count "2"

rsway wrote:
Yeah I totally agree. But it's their rule and it's a nice community so I'm okay following what they laid out. I'd rather this than get scammed on a sales.

The issue with the new rules, aside from frustrating many people, is that they will only temporarily prevent fraud. Determined fraudsters will meet the minimum requirement and then carry on with their scam. The concern I have is that members may get a false sense of security that the new measure will protect them. The truth is that members still have to be just as vigilant as they were before.

Jan 10, 2021 at 12:53 PM
nex5nuser

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Minimum post count "2"

This is very frustrating for the occasional user TBH. I bought over $2000 from people on this forum because they were good members a few years back. Now I am no longer trusted and cannot PM someone? Very frustrating for an average person reading here....

Jan 28, 2021 at 06:05 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Minimum post count "2"

Gentlemen and Gentlewimmin (as they are now known). There is one and only one person who can change it, and that would be Fred Miranda HIZZELF. Write him (upper right hand corner of this page). It is what it is. Fred's home, Fred's rules, whether or not they are clear to you, anyone else, or me, and irrespective of how it impacts any of us. He pays the bills. and with respect to that, I notice that none of you has paid to be a member here, so, you have NO leverage.

Jan 28, 2021 at 06:51 PM
Azuremen

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Minimum post count "2"

Just ran into this today and have to say an arbitrary post count restriction isn't really the best means to prevent bots from being problematic on a forum. Ideally, you'd want a setup to prevent them registering at all, similar to comment sections on well operated websites.

Just a bit awkward after years of messaging and buying on the forum and then suddenly can't send a PM when timing is a bit crucial.

Feb 01, 2021 at 08:22 PM
RL7836

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Minimum post count "2"

As a new member, I was instantly frustrated by my inability to:
- even respond to a PM that was sent to me
- find information on this particular set of rules

Reading the posts in this thread resolved these issues. While there is definitely a twinge of disingenuous-ness in the info that Fred did share (regarding "new members" as previously posted), as others have noted, this is Fred's playground and we play by his rules. Rather than get myself twisted up about this stuff, it seems easier to mentally accept that this is a fee-required member's forum & move on.

Saying this, I don't want to diminish the frustration that others are experiencing - especially those long-time members who suddenly find themselves 'cut off'. I would obviously feel the same...

Ron

Feb 12, 2021 at 10:22 AM
Sebastor

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Minimum post count "2"

I'm also frustrated, and not sure that it can prevent fraud.

Mar 15, 2021 at 12:30 PM
tiago_rf

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Minimum post count "2"

So, does anybody know how many posts one needs before being able to send a PM?

Apr 13, 2021 at 01:12 PM
LiNGo

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Minimum post count "2"

tiago_rf wrote:
So, does anybody know how many posts one needs before being able to send a PM?

I would like to know this, too.

Apr 25, 2021 at 08:38 PM
CanonGuy15

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Minimum post count "2"

After being a member for years and previously making a purchase, I ran into this same issue last night. It was disappointing to say the least. While we were arranging alternative communication methods, someone else sent a PM and he sold it to that member -- even though I had communicated as requested.

It left a bad taste for that specific transaction, but I still appreciate the forums and the community here. I think what is difficult is that I used to be "good enough" to send PM's and now I am not classified in a manner that gives me that capability. It was a surprising and frustrating experience.

I very much appreciate Fred Miranda and these forums. Please review the policy for longstanding members if possible!

Thank you.

May 03, 2021 at 08:32 PM
Leooooo

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Minimum post count "2"

Guess I'm not the only one frustrated by the process. Even have PMs from 2019 when I purchased 2 items but suddenly I'm unable to PM today. Doesnt help that sellers didnt leave me feedback either, so I just look scammy replying to threads. Facepalm.

May 04, 2021 at 10:49 AM
ghostman5

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Minimum post count "2"

A very rough situation to navigate certainly, I only wish there were a better way.

Jun 06, 2021 at 05:05 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Minimum post count "2"

CanonGuy15 wrote:
After being a member for years and previously making a purchase, I ran into this same issue last night. It was disappointing to say the least. While we were arranging alternative communication methods, someone else sent a PM and he sold it to that member -- even though I had communicated as requested.

It left a bad taste for that specific transaction, but I still appreciate the forums and the community here. I think what is difficult is that I used to be "good enough" to send PM's and now I am not classified in a manner that gives me that
...Show more

Long standing member with 15 posts don’t really count in my books. Get involved in the community rather than treating FM like e-bay.

Jun 06, 2021 at 06:37 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.