"The 50/2 M APO will ship in January"

Dec 06, 2020 at 04:24 PM
Juha Kannisto
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Official: Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO VM mount

More info from Nokishita including a product image:
https://twitter.com/nokishita_c/status/1335943670390870016?s=19

Looks like it might get announced tomorrow.

Dec 07, 2020 at 09:37 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Official: Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO VM mount

Image of Voigtlander "APO-LANTHAR 50mm F2 Aspherical VM" which will be reserved on December 8th. Is the mass retailer price 128,000 yen including tax?#噂

Dec 07, 2020 at 10:23 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Official: Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO VM mount

Fred Miranda wrote:
Image of Voigtlander "APO-LANTHAR 50mm F2 Aspherical VM" which will be reserved on December 8th. Is the mass retailer price 128,000 yen including tax?#噂

The Sony version does not have that stupid shiny chrome filter surround on the front of the lens.
If doing that was a good idea, then lens hoods would be shiny chrome inside.

I don't get it.

Also bummed that we don't get the tri-color stripes!

Dec 07, 2020 at 11:15 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Official: Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO VM mount

Desmolicious wrote:
The Sony version does not have that stupid shiny chrome filter surround on the front of the lens.
If doing that was a good idea, then lens hoods would be shiny chrome inside.

I don't get it.

Also bummed that we don't get the tri-color stripes!

I think it's a good looking lens. Classic Voigtlander design.
Aside from cosmetics, the only issue with the silver filter thread is that induces "ring flare".
The rear element protrudes quite a bit at infinity making is more compact on the Leica compared to the E-mount version on the Sony.

Dec 07, 2020 at 11:38 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Official: Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO VM mount

Fred Miranda wrote:
I think it's a good looking lens. Classic Voigtlander design.
Aside from cosmetics, the only issue with the silver filter thread is that induces "ring flare".
The rear element protrudes quite a bit at infinity making is more compact on the Leica compared to the E-mount version on the Sony.

I think it looks great apart from the chrome filter thread. Why? Styling is perfect (but I still would like the three coloured stripes!)

Dec 07, 2020 at 11:51 AM
realVivek
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Official: Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO VM mount

There will be no “ring flare”. The lens is narrow enough and with the front element sufficiently recessed, the chances are almost none.

Interesting there is a hard infinity mark.

I wonder if it is a dumbed down version of the FE version?

Dec 07, 2020 at 12:02 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Official: Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO VM mount

realVivek wrote:
There will be no “ring flare”. The lens is narrow enough and with the front element sufficiently recessed, the chances are almost none.

True, should be ok for this one.

Dec 07, 2020 at 12:05 PM
1joel1
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Official: Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO VM mount

Can't be an Apo Lanthar without the RGB rings or the little stripes in the very least. The Linhof Apo-Lanthars from Voigtlander were legendary.
Joel

Dec 07, 2020 at 04:29 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Official: Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO VM mount

Fred Miranda wrote:

Probably includes tax. We can look at the Map Camera website in a day or so to find out.

This 'surprise' announcement pretty much vaporizes my CV50/1.5 indecision, which I didn't end up getting right away. I'm very happy I held off as this is THE 50 I'm most interested in adding to my M system, and whatever mirrorless body I end up with in the near future.

I also agree about not liking the chrome filter ring/lens hood flange. My qualms with it are more to do with unwanted reflections of the ring when shooting through glass (train/bus windows, for example). It doesn't happen that often, but still enough to be annoying. A step up ring is an easy fix.

Biggest gripe would be probable lack of a focusing tab, but that's to be expected from Voigtlander. Second gripe is the probable lack of 6-bit code notches engraved in the lens mount, which means either sending it off for someone to custom cut, or using unreliable ink/marker. Does anyone know if the Leica 50 Cron APO ASPH can be set manually in any of the digital M camera menus? Given it's a recent lens that has only been available as 6-bit coded, I doubt it's in any of the menus. It's not a manually set lens code menu option in my M240.

Also interesting to see how far the rear element protrudes from the lens mount. I hope there will be no significant issues with edge color shifts. But I guess that's more a function of the exit pupil distance.

Dec 07, 2020 at 11:20 PM
Juha Kannisto
• • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Official: Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO VM mount

rscheffler wrote:
Probably includes tax. We can look at the Map Camera website in a day or so to find out.

This 'surprise' announcement pretty much vaporizes my CV50/1.5 indecision, which I didn't end up getting right away. I'm very happy I held off as this is THE 50 I'm most interested in adding to my M system, and whatever mirrorless body I end up with in the near future.

I also agree about not liking the chrome filter ring/lens hood flange. My qualms with it are more to do with unwanted reflections of the ring when shooting through glass (train/bus windows, for example).
...Show more

About the price... Usually the prices leaked by Nokishita for upcoming Voigtländer lenses are not exact official prices set by Cosina for Japan market. The leaked prices tend to be lower than official prices but higher than prices in my favorite stores including Map Camera. I guess they could be planned prices for some specific retail channel where Nokishita is getting these leaks from.

If it gets announced today as predicted by Nokishita (since they wrote that pre-orders will start on 12/8), we should find the Map Camera price later today as well.

Dec 08, 2020 at 12:00 AM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Official: Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO VM mount

Thanks Juha, for the additional insights. Don't they announce these things at 9am in Japan? What's taking them so long?

Dec 08, 2020 at 12:15 AM
Juha Kannisto
• • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Official: Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO VM mount

No, usually always at 3pm JST which is in 40min from now.

rscheffler wrote:
Thanks Juha, for the additional insights. Don't they announce these things at 9am in Japan? What's taking them so long?

Dec 08, 2020 at 12:21 AM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Official: Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO VM mount

OK, thanks. Please report back with relevant links ASAP! I will stay up a while later in anticipation!

Dec 08, 2020 at 12:28 AM
Juha Kannisto
• • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Official: Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO VM mount

Sure, I usually start checking Cosina's page at 3pm when something new is expected and usually the links start showing up within a minute or two I'll post as soon as I find them.

rscheffler wrote:
OK, thanks. Please report back with relevant links ASAP! I will stay up a while later in anticipation!

Dec 08, 2020 at 12:35 AM
Juha Kannisto
• • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Official: Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO VM mount

Here we go: http://www.cosina.co.jp/seihin/voigtlander/vm-mount/vm-apo50mmF2/index.html

Dec 08, 2020 at 01:02 AM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Official: Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO VM mount

Glad to see the round aperture opening at f/2.8 and f/5.6 is retained like in the Sony version.

Size is also very similar to the 50 Lux ASPH I currently use, which is welcome. I was concerned it might be a bit on the long side.

Dec 08, 2020 at 01:06 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Official: Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO VM mount

Juha Kannisto wrote:
Here we go: http://www.cosina.co.jp/seihin/voigtlander/vm-mount/vm-apo50mmF2/index.html

Dec 08, 2020 at 01:11 AM
realVivek
• • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Official: Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO VM mount

Thanks!
Juha Kannisto wrote:

My speculation that this could be a dumbed down version of the FE lens appears correct!

Only two APD elements in the M mount version and the hard infinity stop makes sense now.

Dec 08, 2020 at 01:12 AM
1       2      
       4              13       14       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              13       14       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.