FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       end

Archive 2020 · Gura Gear Chobe 2.0 Announced

Rajan Parrikar
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Gura Gear Chobe 2.0 Announced

Update: The Kickstarter campaign for Chobe 2.0 - the best bag in the world (no, in the Universe) - closed today, far exceeding its funding goal.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/guragear/chobe-20

Dec 18, 2020 at 04:38 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Gura Gear Chobe 2.0 Announced

Is there any idea of when they might be available in the legitimate retail channels?

EBH

Dec 18, 2020 at 05:56 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Gura Gear Chobe 2.0 Announced

Rajan Parrikar wrote:
Update: The Kickstarter campaign for Chobe 2.0 - the best bag in the world (no, in the Universe) - closed today, far exceeding its funding goal.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/guragear/chobe-20

if Iceland is your "entire universe" I'll agree whole heartedly.

and yes i threw down for one. the 13". i just happened to finally wear out a previously sized bag that was in about the same price range.

i watched it this week, it squeaked through. probably because most of the rev 1 bags are "just as best" and are holding up just fine.

Edited on Dec 19, 2020 at 08:29 AM · View previous versions

Dec 18, 2020 at 06:39 PM
Andy Biggs
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Gura Gear Chobe 2.0 Announced

It isnít likely to happen, as Gura gear will be selling g direct going forward

EB-1 wrote:
Is there any idea of when they might be available in the legitimate retail channels?

EBH

Dec 18, 2020 at 10:55 PM
Flowernut
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Gura Gear Chobe 2.0 Announced

Bataflae 32L and 26L making a come back soon??

Dec 19, 2020 at 12:24 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Gura Gear Chobe 2.0 Announced

from the new gura gear website.

current backpacks:

https://guragear.com/collections/camera-backpacks

https://guragear.com/collections/camera-backpacks/products/kiboko-v2-0-30l

2L difference

Kibolo 30L

Batalae 32L

Edited on Dec 19, 2020 at 01:40 PM · View previous versions

Dec 19, 2020 at 12:46 PM
Andy Biggs
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Gura Gear Chobe 2.0 Announced

The original Kiboko design is the preferred design ethos going forward. Lighter weight, better built (better fabric) and more appropriate volume sizes, given the current gear people carry.

Flowernut wrote:
Bataflae 32L and 26L making a come back soon??

Dec 19, 2020 at 01:35 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Gura Gear Chobe 2.0 Announced

I have the original Kiboki 30l, but that never left home in about 10 years. The design is too inflexible and didn't hold as much as similarly sized bags of the era.

Maybe the Kibuko style works for some people, but I much prefer the G26/G32 style. I have an old Bataflae 26L, G26, and G32 that I was able to get on the closeout. The G26/G32 have the nice large compartment on top that will hold one larger item like a jacket. The straps are also better than on the Battaflae.

I'm not sure what gear is most common lately, but I noticed that for MILC the small primes are in fashion like the 1960s. Does anybody use Nikon or Canon 500/4 and 600/4 lenses nowadays?

EBH

Dec 19, 2020 at 02:36 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Gura Gear Chobe 2.0 Announced

sjms wrote:
from the new gura gear website.

current backpacks:

https://guragear.com/collections/camera-backpacks

https://guragear.com/collections/camera-backpacks/products/kiboko-v2-0-30l

2L difference

It's not just the liters. There is no indication that a 600/4 will fit in the 30L v2.
I use the G26 for the 500/4 and G32 for 600/4.

EBH

Dec 19, 2020 at 02:39 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Gura Gear Chobe 2.0 Announced

so how much room vertically is left over in the 32L?

the interior of the 20L bag is stated to be a hair over 20"

the Canon 600/4 is 17.6"

Dec 19, 2020 at 02:48 PM
Flowernut
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Gura Gear Chobe 2.0 Announced

The big difference is interior depth. 6" new. Bataflae 32L and 26L 7" I need the depth. G series I think was also that deep. 600 f4 with hood is 7" in diameter. There are many other examples which need the extra depth.

Dec 19, 2020 at 03:54 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Gura Gear Chobe 2.0 Announced

i somehow have a feeling that the 1" is "variable" in reality. not a rigid structure. and in the end if it doesn't work you move on. i'm taking a leap of faith with the shoulder bag.

Dec 19, 2020 at 04:10 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Gura Gear Chobe 2.0 Announced

i am beginning to feel the new owners of GG are having some minor business control issues and their web tech.

first of all A. Biggs is not involved with the company as he sold his interest in the venture awhile back. he serves as a product spokes person only (Pro Team member) and I respect him

Mr Biggs has assured me that all should be resolved by the new owners shortly

Dec 20, 2020 at 07:19 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Gura Gear Chobe 2.0 Announced

I read on B&H reviews that the Kiboko 30L (new version) doesn't accommodate a reversed hood for the 600/4 and 400/2.8 lenses. That would be a deal breaker for me. My original Kiboko 30L and my Bataflae 32L both can be zipped closed with the 600/4 and hood reversed. It is a matter of depth or width (with fixed centre divider) and not accommodating the diameter/thickness of the hood with the latest bag (length is fine). Although there are a few B&H reviews that seem to say they were able to wiggle in the 600 with hood reversed??

Dec 22, 2020 at 07:11 AM
Flowernut
• • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Gura Gear Chobe 2.0 Announced

Have same two bags as arbitrage. Original 30L was a squeeze for me (panel takes on slight bulge) with 600f4 and the 32L fit great. Never had Tamarac version of this bag.

Dec 23, 2020 at 11:35 AM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Gura Gear Chobe 2.0 Announced

I bought the original Kiboko direct from GG back in 2010 and it is the best bag I have owned in over 40 years. It easily handles 40+ lbs. of gear although I must say my smallish frame complains a bit, .

Dec 23, 2020 at 03:24 PM
jharter
• • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Gura Gear Chobe 2.0 Announced

Melancholia wrote:
It has been my everyday work bag for the past 5yrs or so, so I can attest to the durability of the fabric, zippers, and stitching. I love the arrangement of the pockets. When I fly, it becomes my personal item and in its collapsed mode, it fits under the seat. In it, I'd carry my 13" MBP, car GPS, various chargers/cables, sunglasses, extra layers, headphones, Omnicharge power bank. All my camera stuff goes in a backpack in the overhead bin.

I've tried looking for a replacement. Looked at Think Tank, Tom Bihn, and others, but nothing seemed to work
...Show more

Tom Bihn Pilot is an excellent bag. I have the Pilot and Copilot. Love them both. Outstanding quality, made in USA, smart design.

Dec 23, 2020 at 05:01 PM
jharter
• • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Gura Gear Chobe 2.0 Announced

I have the Kuboku 30 and it took me awhile to love it. Now it is my favorite travel pack.

On one side I carry my Sony A7r4 + Tamron 17-28/2.8, Sony 24/1.4, Batis 40/2, Batis 85/2, Leica compact 10x25 binoculars, 67 mm filter wallet, SD card wallet, extra batteries, hat and gloves.

On the other side, I carry a RRS TQC-14 tripod with detached Acratech GPss ball head, empty chest pack for daily carry, and odds and ends.

In the top pockets I carry a camera rain cover, sensor cleaning gear, head lamp, small things.

In the internal back pocket, I carry a MacBook +/- an iPad.

If I recall, it weighs around 25 lbs loaded but I can't remember for sure. In any case, it is too heavy for me but I use it for travel days and then use the chest pack for actual photography.

Construction and design are top notch. Zippers are excellent.

Dec 23, 2020 at 05:16 PM
wordfool
• • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Gura Gear Chobe 2.0 Announced

Melancholia wrote:
It has been my everyday work bag for the past 5yrs or so, so I can attest to the durability of the fabric, zippers, and stitching. I love the arrangement of the pockets. When I fly, it becomes my personal item and in its collapsed mode, it fits under the seat. In it, I'd carry my 13" MBP, car GPS, various chargers/cables, sunglasses, extra layers, headphones, Omnicharge power bank. All my camera stuff goes in a backpack in the overhead bin.

I've tried looking for a replacement. Looked at Think Tank, Tom Bihn, and others, but nothing seemed to work
...Show more

I seem to recall the price was the main reason I opted against the Chobe years ago when picking a similar camera/laptop/business/travel bag. Instead I went for the Think Tank Urban Disguise 50 v2, which has proven to be an incredibly robust and versatile all round bag as well (especially the ability to attach external pouches on the v2 bags in the UD series). Sadly Think Tank discontinued the classic UD series. Perhaps the new Chobe will encourage TT to go back to the archives as well.

Dec 25, 2020 at 04:15 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Gura Gear Chobe 2.0 Announced

Flowernut wrote:
Have same two bags as arbitrage. Original 30L was a squeeze for me (panel takes on slight bulge) with 600f4 and the 32L fit great. Never had Tamarac version of this bag.

I replaced the 26L with the G26, which you might define as the Tamrac version. It holds more and has better straps, so I got the G32 also. They are not great for hiking like a real backpack of course, but feel noticeably better than the 26L/32L which are more for airport and short walks at best. I never had the 32L, but imagine it would have been rather painful with a full load. The G32 and G26 feel about the same on the back, but the G32 looks rather big on me at the international airports.

EBH

Dec 27, 2020 at 07:41 PM
1       2      
       4       5       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.