1       2      
       4              14       15       end

Voigtlander 50mm f/1.5 II Aspherical Review

Beni
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Voigtlander 50mm f/1.5 II Aspherical Review

goo0h wrote:
I know a bit apples to oranges, but any thoughts on how it compares to the 50/1.2?

I'm interested in this also.

Oct 27, 2020 at 01:50 AM
Humble_Glory

p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Voigtlander 50mm f/1.5 II Aspherical Review

I also find this CV 50mm f1.5 interesting although I already have Nippon Kogaku 50mm f1.4 'Millennium' (S mount). Other than shorter focus throw, I don't see this new lens has anything more to offer though.

genji wrote:
Youíre absolutely right! The Nokton is USD949 (black/silver) or USD1049 (nickel) from Cameraquest whereas B&H lists the Lux 50 ASPH at prices ranging from USD3995 to USD5095 depending on model (black or silver), place of manufacture (Germany or Portugal), or BC special edition. So my argument really only makes sense for someone who either already owns a Lux or is not price sensitive. And I realise that my post was mainly designed to talk myself out of buying yet another 50mm M-mount lens, of which I have too many as it is. The Department of Rationalisation and Self-Justification had suggested
...Show more

Oct 27, 2020 at 04:47 AM
Harpomatic

p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Voigtlander 50mm f/1.5 II Aspherical Review

Fred Miranda wrote:
Looking at Bastian's review, I'm not impressed with the TTArtisans 50/1.4 ASPH. It's twice as heavy as the Voigtlander and much longer (37mm vs 58mm).
For the extra elements it should perform better but it does not seem to be the case in many aspects like resolution, flare resistance and CA. Nice rendering though.

I have a very different opinion on te TTArtisan 50mm 1.4. I think its only problem is flare, but resolution, aberrations and rendering I find incredible especially given te price.

I have reviewed it in detail on my website and I am thoroughly impressed by it.
If you are interested in the web address PM me, this is not a plug for my website.

Having said that, I am really impressed by this new Voigtlander from what I can see, I love itís small size and weight and the compromises seem to be very small. This will most probably be my desert island lens!

Oct 27, 2020 at 04:59 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Voigtlander 50mm f/1.5 II Aspherical Review

Sunrise scene this morning. There is a fire nearby (Irvine) which made the sunstar not very defined (f/4). I moved the camera around the sun to trigger ghosting flare and the lens did well except for a faint blob on the grey sunroof. I'd consider this performance above average flare resistance. (MC version)

I will post more when lighting and weather improves.

ILCE-7RM4    Voigtlander VM 50mm f/1.5 Nokton II Aspherical lens    50mm    1/125s    100 ISO    +0.7 EV  

Oct 27, 2020 at 11:28 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Voigtlander 50mm f/1.5 II Aspherical Review

Sony vs Leica: Color and OOF background rendering 1 at 2.5m

Quick high contrast comparison between Sony and Leica color rendering using Lightroom's "Adobe Color" profile. No other correction except for sharpening and exposure correction for the Leica.

Do you prefer Leica or Sony our of the camera colors?

Voigtlander Nokton 50mm f/1.5 II Aspherical (wide open for both)

ILCE-7RM4    Voigtlander VM 50mm f/1.5 Nokton II Aspherical lens    50mm    1/6400s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

LEICA M10    Voigtlander VM 50mm f/1.5 Nokton II Aspherical lens    50mm    f/1.7    1/4000s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Oct 27, 2020 at 05:22 PM
hanay78
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Voigtlander 50mm f/1.5 II Aspherical Review

A shocking comparison.

Would it be possible to bring them to the same results using a colorchecker profile ?

Fred Miranda wrote:
Quick high contrast comparison between Sony and Leica color rendering using Lightroom's "Adobe Color" profile. No other correction except for sharpening and exposure correction for the Leica.

Oct 27, 2020 at 05:32 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Voigtlander 50mm f/1.5 II Aspherical Review

From the car sample above, here are the sharpening differences between apertures:

f/1.5, f/1.7, f/2, f/2.4, f/2.8

BTW: f/1.7 is not a clickable aperture but I use it sometimes. (With the CV 75/15 as well).
Basically it removes SA considerably without affecting blur noticeably.

Pay attention to focus shift since it was focused at f/1.5 and not refocused for the subsequent apertures. I don't find focus shift a negative even of the Leica even though the CV 50/1.5 II is not free of it.

f/1.5

f/1.7

f/2

f/2.4

f/2.8: Purple fringing (LoCA) is much diminished at f/2.8

Oct 27, 2020 at 05:43 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Voigtlander 50mm f/1.5 II Aspherical Review

Axial CA is also greatly reduced at f/2.8 for this section of the image (car windshield wiper)

f/1.5

f/2

f/2.8

Oct 27, 2020 at 05:48 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Voigtlander 50mm f/1.5 II Aspherical Review

Sunstar Rendering

The Voigtlander Nokton 50mm f/1.5 II is equipped with a 12-straight-blade aperture mechanism capable of well defined sunstars starting at f/2.4. (Optimal starting at f/4)

This is a plus for Cosina lenses and a differential compared to other brands.

Here is a sequence showing the 12-point sunstars from f/1.5 until f/11:

PS: There was some wind so expect double lines in some of the sunstar points due to foliage moving during capture. Flare was very well controlled during all my sunstar testing. Pay attention to axial CA towards the top right of the images and how it gets improved as the lens is stopped down.

f/11

ILCE-7RM4    Voigtlander VM 50mm f/1.5 Nokton II Aspherical lens    50mm    1/25s    100 ISO    -1.0 EV  

f/8

ILCE-7RM4    Voigtlander VM 50mm f/1.5 Nokton II Aspherical lens    50mm    1/50s    100 ISO    -1.0 EV  

f/5.6

ILCE-7RM4    Voigtlander VM 50mm f/1.5 Nokton II Aspherical lens    50mm    1/100s    100 ISO    -1.0 EV  

f/4

ILCE-7RM4    Voigtlander VM 50mm f/1.5 Nokton II Aspherical lens    50mm    1/200s    100 ISO    -1.0 EV  

f/2.8

ILCE-7RM4    Voigtlander VM 50mm f/1.5 Nokton II Aspherical lens    50mm    1/320s    100 ISO    -1.0 EV  

f/2

ILCE-7RM4    Voigtlander VM 50mm f/1.5 Nokton II Aspherical lens    50mm    1/640s    100 ISO    -1.0 EV  

f/1.5

ILCE-7RM4    Voigtlander VM 50mm f/1.5 Nokton II Aspherical lens    50mm    1/1000s    100 ISO    -1.0 EV  

Oct 27, 2020 at 07:51 PM
teh_rebel
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Voigtlander 50mm f/1.5 II Aspherical Review

Fred Miranda wrote:

Nice Fred. i actually prefer the Sony's colors on this. Very nice!

Oct 27, 2020 at 08:14 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

CCoppola82

p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Voigtlander 50mm f/1.5 II Aspherical Review

I have so many 50s but this one tempts me for size and speed. I realize itís subjective, but would you use this one or the son are on a Leica for daily shooting if you had the choice? Thanks for the review. Helpful. Iím not a huge fan of the additional reds I see in the Sony car. Seems to turn the sky a bit more ultramarine and the greens a bit more muted. Both work though.

Oct 27, 2020 at 09:18 PM
AcuteShadows
• • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Voigtlander 50mm f/1.5 II Aspherical Review

Fred Miranda wrote:

Actually, the color is pretty weird in both cases. For the Sony, the center has a magenta tint, the Leica shows greenish/cyan/aquamarin shift towards the edges. I would have expected more of a shift in the corners, though. I think the Sony looks a bit better because the general magenta shift cancels out some of the cyan shift in the periphery, but the blue component suffers in both images.

Oct 27, 2020 at 09:58 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Voigtlander 50mm f/1.5 II Aspherical Review

Sony image colour looks more realistic, the sky would improve with a little dial back of magenta in the blues, and a slight cool move in WB. It shows more detail in bokeh (higher tone main tree above car and side of image motifs) and a little more separation in greens and yellow-greens.

The Leica image - see the overdone blues on the hood creeping into the highlight area, plus the roofline too. Blues are a little too cyan. Leica image is more abstracted in OOF areas. All would be revealed with an eyedropper, but this is my web-facing PC. They can be matched easily, colour-wise. The Sony is overlit a little, damaging 3D, see this best in the road surface. thanks for this page's work!

Oct 27, 2020 at 10:42 PM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Voigtlander 50mm f/1.5 II Aspherical Review

I'd like to see the full car photo at f/2 and f/2.8 to see whether the background swirl changes much with the Leica files.

Of the Sony/Leica colors, I find the Sony image a touch magenta biased. The blues and greens in the Leica image are more intense and to my eyes feels cleaner, though the image is overall cooler. I agree the Leica image seems to have some cyan shift at the edges. I noticed the EXIF reports 50mm. Are you setting an in-camera profile? If so, which one?

The other interesting difference in those images is edge background rendering. The OOF branches against the little pocket of sky on the left side are more clearly defined in the Sony image; more feeling of swirl on the left side of the OOF tree behind the car, as well at the one on the right edge, also in the Sony image. Certainly this is sensor stack induced.

Oct 27, 2020 at 10:47 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Voigtlander 50mm f/1.5 II Aspherical Review

Fred Miranda wrote:

Yes, it's possible to equalize the colors but I thought it was interesting how the Adobe Color profile behaves between these two cameras. I've chosen a blue subject against the a mostly green/blue background because I have noticed this difference in similar scenes.

Oct 27, 2020 at 11:41 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Voigtlander 50mm f/1.5 II Aspherical Review

AcuteShadows wrote:
Actually, the color is pretty weird in both cases. For the Sony, the center has a magenta tint, the Leica shows greenish/cyan/aquamarin shift towards the edges. I would have expected more of a shift in the corners, though. I think the Sony looks a bit better because the general magenta shift cancels out some of the cyan shift in the periphery, but the blue component suffers in both images.

I feel the Sony's colors look more natural, perhaps a bit over saturated. Leica likes to mimic the kodachrome look and I see some of that in the M10 images --Although way more subtle compared to the M9's output.

Oct 27, 2020 at 11:49 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Voigtlander 50mm f/1.5 II Aspherical Review

rscheffler wrote:
I'd like to see the full car photo at f/2 and f/2.8 to see whether the background swirl changes much with the Leica files.

Of the Sony/Leica colors, I find the Sony image a touch magenta biased. The blues and greens in the Leica image are more intense and to my eyes feels cleaner, though the image is overall cooler. I agree the Leica image seems to have some cyan shift at the edges. I noticed the EXIF reports 50mm. Are you setting an in-camera profile? If so, which one?

The other interesting difference in those images is edge background rendering. The
...Show more

LensTagger was used for the EXIF data, otherwise it would not show much since the lens is adapted.
I will post more samples comparing rendering between Sony and Leica at f/1.5, f/2 and f/2.8. I'm curious as well.

Oct 27, 2020 at 11:54 PM
AcuteShadows
• • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Voigtlander 50mm f/1.5 II Aspherical Review

Fred Miranda wrote:
LensTagger was used for the EXIF data, otherwise it would not show much since the lens is adapted.
I will post more samples comparing rendering between Sony and Leica at f/1.5, f/2 and f/2.8. I'm curious as well.

Can you include a gray card (or 3 for center, midfield, and corner) in the pictures?

Oct 28, 2020 at 12:29 AM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Voigtlander 50mm f/1.5 II Aspherical Review

Fred Miranda wrote:

Great, thanks. Does this mean you have not set a manual, in-camera lens code at the time of capture?

If so, this might be something else to explore down the road: the Leica in-camera lens profile that best matches this lens. The cyan edges indicate it might benefit from some correction and it's possible one of the existing Leica 50mm profiles will be close enough. Note that these profiles only affect luminance vignetting and edge color shift. They don't apply distortion correction, therefore no concern about application of an incorrect distortion profile. The cyan shift doesn't look too bad, but likely would be more noticeable in very neutrally toned images, such as snow, concrete, etc. The other option would be applying a manual gradient filter in LR or using something like Corner Fix, Adobe's Flat Field plug-in, or C1's LCC.

I agree Leica's greens tend to be quite strong. I find I often need to dial back yellow and green saturation a fair amount, especially for spring foliage. Skin tone can also sometimes go too orange, or with the M240 and the Adobe LR profile options, pick up a red tinge, which tends to accentuate blotchy skin tones and those with a ruddy complexion.

Oct 28, 2020 at 08:49 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Voigtlander 50mm f/1.5 II Aspherical Review

Coma performance

The Voigtlander 50/1.5 II is not a super corrected lens so I was not expecting great coma performance from wide open and that's the case. Stopped down to f/2.4 it's pretty much coma free.

Here is a sequence showing a star point towards the edge and followed by a city scene showing the same area. Both at 1:1 magnification. Both tests done with the Leica M10 at ISO 3200

Oct 28, 2020 at 11:26 AM
1       2      

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password