end

Archive 2020 · PIXII Rangefinder Reviews

rscheffler
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · PIXII Rangefinder Reviews

Sounds promising!

Fred Miranda wrote:
The sensor has great DR and high resolution (26MP APS-C) which means it's capable of capturing high frequency detail. It's equipped with a tweaked version of the same sensor used on the Fuji XT-3. I believe the decision to use a cropped sensor is due to cost but it also provides great corner performance since the lens corners are cropped. Leica uses custom micro-lenses in front of their sensors to deal with the high angle of incidence from some Leica M lenses, but I believe PIXII engineers went a different route and instead, decided on using a crop sensor
...Show more

Using an APS-C sensor helps avoid some of the more obvious FF edge/corner problems but I think the fact it's BSI helps a lot in respect to generally avoiding peripheral color shifts. I think BSI will be less a factor for peripheral detail smearing because sensor topping thickness is more relevant, from my understanding. But the crop format will avoid the more severely oblique ray angles from non-digital-optimized RF lenses that would otherwise affect the outer areas of FF sensors.

Sep 29, 2021 at 12:14 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · PIXII Rangefinder Reviews

Fred Miranda wrote:
It uses regular Sony batteries (pw-50). I have tried one for a week, let me know if you have any questions.

Sony battery is $50-ish

Leica battery is $200-$220-ish depending on the M.

2 Sony batteries = $100 (math!), 2 Leica batts = $440.

Just saying the 'real' price difference is more than it seems kitting out the PIXII vs an M.

Sep 29, 2021 at 05:56 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · PIXII Rangefinder Reviews

It's funny. I hated this camera in its v1 version. But this v2 is growing on me, and the price is pretty much the same as a new Leica CL. Which is an APS-C camera too. This gives you the choice of an APS-C camera with optical RF vs the CL which has a pretty low rez EVF - 2.36mp. (My Xpro 3 at $1800 has a 3.7mp EVF).
And now the sensor is (apparently) competitive.

For the price to be the same from a little start up as a CL is an achievement. When the PIXII first came out I also disliked the VF frame surround. I thought it ruined the clean design. But after this weekend of using my Ms, and having to repeatedly wipe the VF glass because my fingers smudged it, I've changed my mind! PIXII borrowed this design cue from the M3, which was then dropped on successive main stream Ms. I'm glad to see they brought it back!

Sep 30, 2021 at 11:07 AM
teraflame
• •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · PIXII Rangefinder Reviews

lmao that initial review sounds like a paid ad.

Oct 07, 2021 at 12:43 PM
1       2       3       4      
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.