Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2020 · Anyone here traveling in a RV?

Greyscale71

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Anyone here traveling in a RV?

Just curious, any RVer's on hear?.

Aug 12, 2020 at 12:14 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Anyone here traveling in a RV?

Looking at one...but my travels typically involve flying many miles. I personally hate driving if I'm holiday.

Aug 12, 2020 at 01:06 PM
Older Fossil
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Anyone here traveling in a RV?

Full time RVers for the past 5 years. This year COVID-19 has really impacted our travel plans, but we are now pretty much back into our normal lifestyle. We are currently visiting Theodore Roosevelt NP in North Dakota.

Art

Aug 12, 2020 at 02:38 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Anyone here traveling in a RV?

Places to rent a motorhome for from $100 to $300 a night. I have flown to a location and rented an RV in the past but now I would drive to a city and rent an RV in that area and start and end my trip at this location.

For us the alternative is to book nights at extended stay hotels where each room has a kitchen with cooktop, fridge, microwave, coffee maker, sink, etc. and prepare our meals in the room. We have done this in the past to avoid unhealthy restaurant food but it would be beneficial in the age of the pandemic.

A problem with many of the RVrentals is that they allow pets and cat owners like to take their cats and have the animals spread their salivia all over the fabric and as I am allergic to cats in this situation I need to go only with RV's and hotel rooms where pets are not allowed.

Aug 12, 2020 at 04:57 PM
JohnC
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Anyone here traveling in a RV?

I have a class C diesel which I bought in 2013 with the idea of traveling around the country taking pictures. First off since I am on the East Coast it takes 3-4 days of driving to get anywhere. You have to really love the RV lifestyle. Most of the cheaper campsites don't have electric hookups. It's not so easy to pull off the road if something worth shooting grabs you. Until the pandemic it was cheaper and easier to drive/fly and stay in motels and we mostly went out of the country. Now with all the restrictions we are thinking of using it more.

Aug 12, 2020 at 07:23 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Anyone here traveling in a RV?

elkhornsun wrote:
Places to rent a motorhome for from $100 to $300 a night. I have flown to a location and rented an RV in the past but now I would drive to a city and rent an RV in that area and start and end my trip at this location.

For us the alternative is to book nights at extended stay hotels where each room has a kitchen with cooktop, fridge, microwave, coffee maker, sink, etc. and prepare our meals in the room. We have done this in the past to avoid unhealthy restaurant food but it would be beneficial in
...Show more

Take a look at Airbnb places. I never stay at a hotel / motel for more than a night while in transit. You typically get way more room for your money.

Aug 12, 2020 at 07:45 PM
cgilyeat

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Anyone here traveling in a RV?

Not an RV, but pulling a 30ft travel trailer. We are on currently on a trip that started out as a means for my wife to do some work travel without flying, but may be a cross-country trip by the time it is all said and done and we get back to Florida. we've already been on the road since early July.

Aug 16, 2020 at 10:01 PM
Doc4659
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Anyone here traveling in a RV?

Not a RV'er at this time, but looking into it.
I have a 4x4 Chevy Silverado which I've outfitted with a canopy.
I had it custom made with a re-enforced roof to hold 800 lbs. (I climb on top and shoot when I need some extra height). It also has a twin mattress, fishing rod holder, Canoe rack, LED lights, and clothes hangers. Makes it easy to pull off anywhere and sack out or get off the main roads to shoot.
My last trip was in June, 7300 miles, 9 states, and 5 national parks.
But.... As I'm now close to retirement age, it's not getting any easier to sleep in the back or climb on the roof!!! (I'm sure the extra pounds I've put on don't have any bearing on this).
Have been looking at bumper pull camper or Van style RV.
i'll be watching this thread to hear what others are using and hopefully get some ideas.

Aug 17, 2020 at 09:30 AM
dulebohn
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Anyone here traveling in a RV?

We currently have a 25ft Airstream International trailer which we tow behind a pretty big SUV. This is a good combo because we can create a "home base" somewhere and use the SUV to drive from place to place. If you have a RV the same can be done by towing a car. IMO you really need to do one or the other to give yourself the flexibility to get around whatever area you are exploring.
We generally stay at state parks, national parks, or Corp of Engineer campgrounds (which are great hidden gems and usually pretty cheap). However, as one poster mentioned, if you just want to burn miles to get somewhere it can be a long slog.

Aug 17, 2020 at 11:07 AM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Anyone here traveling in a RV?

AirBNB is 2-3 times the cost of a hotel room. AirBNB adds a very large service fee and there is also a substantial cleaning fee. Many places lack internet access as well. For a couple not staying in big cities, a AirBNB rental is the most expensive option by far.

Renting an AirBNB place may be great for people traveling with their pets but for those allergic to cat dander as I am, it makes a stay a most unpleasant experience. If I book 2-3 nights at a hotel and then after the first night decide to go somewhere else I am not charged for the additional days which is not the case with a AirBNB multi-day rental.

With hotels I always ask for a discount for staying more than one night and specify that we do not need daily linen service or cleaning. I also avoid paying for services I do not need like a business center or spa or gym. A 3 star hotel has more such amenities than a 2 star hotel and yet the rooms are the same and the food service is the same.

95% of the time we stay for free. Years ago I realized that all our frequent flyer miles were nearly worthless as there were few seats available through the program. So we switched to using hotel affiliated credit cards for all our purchases. We have enough points that we can stay for free at Holiday Inn, Best Western, Hyatt, and Hilton hotels around the world. As the hotels do not differentiate between points given for credit card purchases and those from staying at the hotel as a paying guest, we usually get a free room upgrade and concierage level goodies with our "premier" level status.

Aug 18, 2020 at 04:54 PM
njofoto

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Anyone here traveling in a RV?

Yes. We like to travel, not camp, so Class B is perfect for us. We can go anywhere, park anywhere, and carry our bikes and photo gear. Love having solar powers to keep our fridge well cooled during our start and stop travels. That’s much more reliable than the 3-way fridge we had in the Unit we had before this.

Aug 19, 2020 at 07:21 AM
Dragonfire
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Anyone here traveling in a RV?

My wife keeps saying "take your girlfriend if you want to travel in an RV."

I found a 27' perfect for two with a Wrangler in tow and still I got a "NO!!!"

https://www.thormotorcoach.com/vegas/

Aug 19, 2020 at 07:34 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Anyone here traveling in a RV?

elkhornsun wrote:
AirBNB is 2-3 times the cost of a hotel room. AirBNB adds a very large service fee and there is also a substantial cleaning fee. Many places lack internet access as well. For a couple not staying in big cities, a AirBNB rental is the most expensive option by far.

Renting an AirBNB place may be great for people traveling with their pets but for those allergic to cat dander as I am, it makes a stay a most unpleasant experience. If I book 2-3 nights at a hotel and then after the first night decide to go somewhere else
...Show more

I've travelled all my life for work staying in those hotels...all are the same, 4 walls, a window, desk and TV. Next best thing to a jail cell. With Airbnb's I usually get an entire house or at the very least a condo, full bedrooms, living areas, kitchens, decks and yards. Depending on where you travel, the Airbnb can even be cheaper than hotel stays. I go to Kauai every year and stay at Airbnb...cheaper than a hotel and a much better experience.

Aug 19, 2020 at 09:04 AM
bvphotos
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Anyone here traveling in a RV?

Does anyone have any experience sleeping in your SUV? Subaru Forrester seems like a popular choice for a lot of people. Some people swear by the rooftop tents that can go on top of the SUV. Agile, 4WD, versatile, and you can take it wherever you want to go. But the biggest issue with this set up for me is lack of access to a toilet. Most campsite & rest-stop restrooms unfortunately don't meet my needs for cleanliness.

Aug 19, 2020 at 01:52 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Anyone here traveling in a RV?

bvphotos wrote:
Does anyone have any experience sleeping in your SUV? Subaru Forrester seems like a popular choice for a lot of people. Some people swear by the rooftop tents that can go on top of the SUV. Agile, 4WD, versatile, and you can take it wherever you want to go. But the biggest issue with this set up for me is lack of access to a toilet. Most campsite & rest-stop restrooms unfortunately don't meet my needs for cleanliness.

The other aspects to look at is how safe are these tents under bad weather. Can the tents sustain some wind or rain? If you go the tenting route, I would just get a good 3 season tents and setup on the ground.

Aug 19, 2020 at 02:06 PM
tntcorp
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Anyone here traveling in a RV?

elkhornsun wrote:

For us the alternative is to book nights at extended stay hotels where each room has a kitchen with cooktop, fridge, microwave, coffee maker, sink, etc. and prepare our meals in the room. We have done this in the past to avoid unhealthy restaurant food but it would be beneficial in
...Show more

where would you park your vehicle during your rental period?

Aug 19, 2020 at 02:42 PM
RexGig0
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Anyone here traveling in a RV?

We are definitely interested in some type of RV, and have been, for several years. Our tentative plan was to to finish paying for my wife’s Toyota Tundra, which we financed with 0% interest, then buy an RV, but the COVID health emergency has us wishing that we had acted sooner, on the RV. We do not fully trust the disinfection procedures at hotels, and my wife has health conditions that make it wise for her to be extra-careful about COVID.

We have made overnight trips, sleeping in her Max-cab Tundra. I am able to do several-day trips, by myself, sleeping in my single-cab Toyota Tundra. I can do well enough, reclining the driver’s seat, for short naps, for a night or two, before I have to find a way to sleep properly flat, on my side.

The best way to experience some photography destinations is to arrive the previous afternoon or evening, if overnight parking is allowed.

We have a Tepui Tent, mounted on an off-road-oriented, high-ground-clearance utility trailer. The trailer was made by a now-defunct company, but similar to the “Mule,” built in Alabama, USA. We so very rarely consider it worth the trouble, however, to tow the trailer, so the tent has seen little actual usage. We may be about to mount the tent on my wife’s Tundra.

Notably, the trailer taught us that we would probably not want to tow a larger “travel” trailer, no matter how much we both love the idea of Airstreams.

For non-USA readers, the Toyota Tundra is a “full-sized” pick-up truck, larger than the Hi-Lux.

Aug 21, 2020 at 12:28 PM
njofoto

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Anyone here traveling in a RV?

RexGig0 wrote:
We are definitely interested in some type of RV, and have been, for several years. Our tentative plan was to to finish paying for my wife’s Toyota Tundra, which we financed with 0% interest, then buy an RV, but the COVID health emergency has us wishing that we had acted sooner, on the RV. We do not fully trust the disinfection procedures at hotels, and my wife has health conditions that make it wise for her to be extra-careful about COVID.

We have made overnight trips, sleeping in her Max-cab Tundra. I am able to do several-day trips, by myself, sleeping
...Show more

Airstream makes nice small trailers too. And several companies have great tear drop style trailers. Good luck with your search. It's complicated!

Aug 22, 2020 at 09:14 AM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Anyone here traveling in a RV?

chez wrote:
I've travelled all my life for work staying in those hotels...all are the same, 4 walls, a window, desk and TV. Next best thing to a jail cell. With Airbnb's I usually get an entire house or at the very least a condo, full bedrooms, living areas, kitchens, decks and yards. Depending on where you travel, the Airbnb can even be cheaper than hotel stays. I go to Kauai every year and stay at Airbnb...cheaper than a hotel and a much better experience.

I stay at a place to get a good bed, a hot shower, internet access, and a large screen TV, along with a place to do some meal preparation. We spend our time outside exploring and doing photography so a larger place adds nothing of value. There are only 2 of us so having a place that sleeps 8 adds nothing.

Hawaii is a special case in terms of hotels and AirBNB. Check the cities and towns where you can drive for a mini vacation and where there is something to photograph and the situation is much different.

Aug 25, 2020 at 05:15 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Anyone here traveling in a RV?

elkhornsun wrote:
I stay at a place to get a good bed, a hot shower, internet access, and a large screen TV, along with a place to do some meal preparation. We spend our time outside exploring and doing photography so a larger place adds nothing of value. There are only 2 of us so having a place that sleeps 8 adds nothing.

Hawaii is a special case in terms of hotels and AirBNB. Check the cities and towns where you can drive for a mini vacation and where there is something to photograph and the situation is much different.

For the last 10 years or so I've been staying in B&B's all over the world and I do my research as far as costs go...and I'd say the B&B's route is just as affordable as staying at hotels, if not more so. When I travel I like to stay at one place for at least a week to get to know the place. I am out quite a bit, but when I get back to my place, I like to relax, put a steak onto a bbq, sit on a deck with some wine...you know...vacation...rather than heading back to your one room holiday inn jail. Like I said I stayed enough times in these motels for my work to know that I will never do that again...unless it's for a day here or there.

Aug 25, 2020 at 05:34 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.