Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2020 · Official Canon RF 800mm f/11 IS STM thread (Post your pics)!

Nikon1960
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Official Canon RF 800mm f/11 IS STM thread (Post your pics)!

Let's start a thread with pictures from this "budget" lens. I just got mine in, and I am finding that with proper technique, I can create images just as sharp as with my 600mm f/4L IS III!

Here are some pictures of Snowy Egrets, taken today at Belmar Park in Colorado.

Aug 02, 2020 at 05:00 PM
technic
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Official Canon RF 800mm f/11 IS STM thread (Post your pics)!

For nature/wildlife the limited DOF control is a factor for sure, will be interesting to see how people can put the lens to good use in real practice with different subjects.

Looking forward to the first moonshots with a 2.0TC added (are these even available yet?)

Aug 03, 2020 at 06:53 AM
koenkooi
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Official Canon RF 800mm f/11 IS STM thread (Post your pics)!

technic wrote:
For nature/wildlife the limited DOF control is a factor for sure, will be interesting to see how people can put the lens to good use in real practice with different subjects.

Looking forward to the first moonshots with a 2.0TC added (are these even available yet?)

There you go: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4509043

Aug 03, 2020 at 07:06 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Official Canon RF 800mm f/11 IS STM thread (Post your pics)!

technic wrote:

Aug 03, 2020 at 07:08 AM
jfwoodman
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Official Canon RF 800mm f/11 IS STM thread (Post your pics)!

Seems like this thread is not being used, but time to bump it up with these.

From first couple test shoots with the 800mm f/11 on the R5.

BB2A0114

BB2A0132

BB2A0179

BB2A0297

BB2A0337 1

Jan 23, 2021 at 03:12 PM
technic
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Official Canon RF 800mm f/11 IS STM thread (Post your pics)!

Did anyone try to use this lens for frame-filling shots of smaller critters like butterflies and dragonflies (diagonal frame size 2-5 inch)?

I know the native MFD is insufficient for that, just wondering if people can get around this with e.g. a TC (not available yet?), extension rings (probably huge and might cause optical/IS problems) or a diopter (probably nothing available for such long focal length; you might get away with a diopter size way below official filter thread size though).

My guess is that IQ (and AF/IS performance) suffers closeup, but who knows ... resolution for faraway subjects seems to be quite good and with closeups there are less problems with atmospheric distortion etc.

Jan 23, 2021 at 04:39 PM
Nikon1960
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Official Canon RF 800mm f/11 IS STM thread (Post your pics)!

I would say if you try to do that, you have picked up the wrong tool for the job! The MFD was a huge challenge, and another issue was that all of the frame couldn’t be used to autofocus. I do not think adding extension tubes would make for a remotely sharp image...

Jan 23, 2021 at 07:34 PM
Methodical
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Official Canon RF 800mm f/11 IS STM thread (Post your pics)!

Nikon1960 wrote:
Let's start a thread with pictures from this "budget" lens. I just got mine in, and I am finding that with proper technique, I can create images just as sharp as with my 600mm f/4L IS III!

Here are some pictures of Snowy Egrets, taken today at Belmar Park in Colorado.

It's definitely an underrated lens. Where did you get yours? I am still interested in this lens.

Jan 23, 2021 at 07:55 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Official Canon RF 800mm f/11 IS STM thread (Post your pics)!

I'm not a birder and I don't think this lens will turn me into one, but if the wife drags us to the shore I'll take it with me. The woodpecker is in the back yard.

Jan 23, 2021 at 08:43 PM
dolina
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Official Canon RF 800mm f/11 IS STM thread (Post your pics)!

This would really eat into Sigma & Tamron's 150-600mm

Jan 23, 2021 at 10:02 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Official Canon RF 800mm f/11 IS STM thread (Post your pics)!

technic wrote:
Did anyone try to use this lens for frame-filling shots of smaller critters like butterflies and dragonflies (diagonal frame size 2-5 inch)?

I know the native MFD is insufficient for that, just wondering if people can get around this with e.g. a TC (not available yet?), extension rings (probably huge and might cause optical/IS problems) or a diopter (probably nothing available for such long focal length; you might get away with a diopter size way below official filter thread size though).

My guess is that IQ (and AF/IS performance) suffers closeup, but who knows ... resolution for faraway subjects seems
...Show more

Ask Canon to make a custom dragonfly lens just for you, since you can't seem to find any of the other several Canon lenses that work just fine for dragons.

Jan 24, 2021 at 12:13 AM
technic
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Official Canon RF 800mm f/11 IS STM thread (Post your pics)!

Imagemaster wrote:
Ask Canon to make a custom dragonfly lens just for you, since you can't seem to find any of the other several Canon lenses that work just fine for dragons.

What's wrong with looking around for better options and asking what others have tried?

Yes, Canon doesn't have suitable lenses for me but I'm getting by with their gear for now and eying the RF lenses just in case they make an attractive R7. The 11/800 could be an interesting long-working-distance option if there is an acceptable way to use it for closeups (IQ closeup might be significantly better than the 100-400II at 400 mm with 2x TC). I don't like f/11 aperture but for closeups with stationary subjects it should be fine.

Jan 24, 2021 at 05:30 AM
cpe1991
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Official Canon RF 800mm f/11 IS STM thread (Post your pics)!

technic wrote:
What's wrong with looking around for better options and asking what others have tried?

Yes, Canon doesn't have suitable lenses for me but I'm getting by with their gear for now and eying the RF lenses just in case they make an attractive R7. The 11/800 could be an interesting long-working-distance option if there is an acceptable way to use it for closeups (IQ closeup might be significantly better than the 100-400II at 400 mm with 2x TC). I don't like f/11 aperture but for closeups with stationary subjects it should be fine.

technic, I am pleased you have come in as I have tested the RF100-500mm vs 100-400mm II for close ups and had thought of you. It's in https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/threads/rf-100-500mm-vs-ef-100-400mm-ii-vs-400mm-do-ii-on-r5.39813/
The RF100-500mm is significantly better at very close distances and I am looking forward to using it on dragonflies when the weather warms up.

Jan 24, 2021 at 06:58 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Official Canon RF 800mm f/11 IS STM thread (Post your pics)!

cpe1991 wrote:
technic, I am pleased you have come in as I have tested the RF100-500mm vs 100-400mm II for close ups and had thought of you. It's in https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/threads/rf-100-500mm-vs-ef-100-400mm-ii-vs-400mm-do-ii-on-r5.39813/
The RF100-500mm is significantly better at very close distances and I am looking forward to using it on dragonflies when the weather warms up.

I had a look over at your tests. You mention the 100-500 out resolves the 400DOII (Bare lens) but that the 400DOII/1.4TC is better than the 100-500. Is this because you are testing the 100-500 @ 500mm for both tests and it has to do with the focal length changes? It just seemed odd to me that adding a TC to the DO caused it to go from a little behind the 100-500 to better than the 100-500 when one would think if anything adding a TC would make the DO perform worse than without.

Jan 24, 2021 at 08:58 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Official Canon RF 800mm f/11 IS STM thread (Post your pics)!

The better comparison would be the 800mm f11 against the 400mm f5.6 with converter and 2x TC, comparing cost, size, weight, IQ, and AF.

Jan 24, 2021 at 09:47 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Official Canon RF 800mm f/11 IS STM thread (Post your pics)!

technic wrote:

Nothing wrong at all looking for better options. I am just saying that you have been complaining for years that Canon does not make a suitable lens for you for taking photos of dragonflies in flight. I am saying they have a number of lenses that lots of other people find work just fine for that, and there are hundreds of excellent photos of dragonflies in flight that have been taken with such lenses.

Also, why would you think an 800mm lens would be better for such an application, than ones with shorter focal-lengths, when it is both harder to find the subject in the viewfinder and to track it the longer the focal-length of the lens

Jan 24, 2021 at 09:56 AM
cpe1991
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Official Canon RF 800mm f/11 IS STM thread (Post your pics)!

arbitrage wrote:
I had a look over at your tests. You mention the 100-500 out resolves the 400DOII (Bare lens) but that the 400DOII/1.4TC is better than the 100-500. Is this because you are testing the 100-500 @ 500mm for both tests and it has to do with the focal length changes? It just seemed odd to me that adding a TC to the DO caused it to go from a little behind the 100-500 to better than the 100-500 when one would think if anything adding a TC would make the DO perform worse than without.

Yes, it's to do with the focal length differences. What I was doing was to have the camera at a fixed distance from a chart so I could measure the resolution of the chart lines - I wasn't measuring the MTFs but the ability to resolve the lines on the chart. The 100-500mm at 500mm gives a teeny bit better resolution than the 400mm DO II at 400mm even though the prime is 100mm shorter. Put the 1.4xTC on the DO and the increase in focal length resolves more lines.
It's nice having a choice of using the the 400mm DO II or the 100-500mm.

Jan 24, 2021 at 11:09 AM
technic
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Official Canon RF 800mm f/11 IS STM thread (Post your pics)!

cpe1991 wrote:

Thanks, much appreciated! First of all it's obvious how much superior the bare PF500 is for closeup. The improvement in the RF 100-500 is encouraging compared to the 100-400II (which is close to unusable for my standards at MFD), especially with 1.4x TC added,

However ... when testing the 100-400II near MFD with banknotes (flat subject in low contrast lighting) it gave me pretty good results because in those conditions the huge spherical aberration of the lens doesn't show and you only suffer some border/corner softness and lower contrast. Results are probably worse in real life (for the zooms) with 3D subjects in high contrast lighting. But the 100-500 has the advantage in weight compared to the 400DO and 500PF. The 11/800DO would be the real winner in weight/size if it can do the job ...
---------------------------------------------

Imagemaster wrote:
The better comparison would be the 800mm f11 against the 400mm f5.6 with converter and 2x TC, comparing cost, size, weight, IQ, and AF.

Optically they have similar spec but the lack of IS makes the 400mm a no-go without tripod (especially for closeup work).

Imagemaster wrote:
Nothing wrong at all looking for better options. I am just saying that you have been complaining for years that Canon does not make a suitable lens for you for taking photos of dragonflies in flight. I am saying they have a number of lenses that lots of other people find work just fine for that, and there are hundreds of excellent photos of dragonflies in flight that have been taken with such lenses.

Also, why would you think an 800mm lens would be better for such an application, than ones with shorter focal-lengths, when it is both harder to find
...Show more

I don't think a 800mm is superior at all unless I cannot get closer to the subject, which happens. 800mm sure would not be my primary lens because it is indeed very difficult then to find the subject in the VF and track it. It would be a backup lens for mostly stationary subjects where I cannot get close enough. This is more for scientific documentation than for creative photography, and another reason that I want something light and affordable.

cpe1991 wrote:
Yes, it's to do with the focal length differences. What I was doing was to have the camera at a fixed distance from a chart so I could measure the resolution of the chart lines - I wasn't measuring the MTFs but the ability to resolve the lines on the chart. The 100-500mm at 500mm gives a teeny bit better resolution than the 400mm DO II at 400mm even though the prime is 100mm shorter. Put the 1.4xTC on the DO and the increase in focal length resolves more lines.
It's nice having a choice of using the the 400mm DO
...Show more

I guess the 100-500 like the 100-400II has off-the-charts focus breathing (= much shorter working distance required), more so than the 400DO and 500PF? My 100-400II is close to 200mm real focal length at 400mm setting and MFD, I would be surprised if the primes are that bad ...

Jan 25, 2021 at 03:38 AM
technic
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Official Canon RF 800mm f/11 IS STM thread (Post your pics)!

Nikon1960 wrote:
I would say if you try to do that, you have picked up the wrong tool for the job! The MFD was a huge challenge, and another issue was that all of the frame couldn’t be used to autofocus. I do not think adding extension tubes would make for a remotely sharp image...

MFD a huge challenge because you cannot get really close without additional gear, or because the AF struggles with this lens? I have no experience with this lens (or other f/11 lens combo's) but AF seems to work well enough for longer distance on R bodies, why would it be much worse for closeup? Or maybe this is related to the general AF problems with defocused subjects that R5 users are reporting with longer lenses, related to the difference between DSLR PDAF and R series on-sensor dual-pixel AF?

Jan 25, 2021 at 03:46 AM
Ray Still
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Official Canon RF 800mm f/11 IS STM thread (Post your pics)!

Our Finn hand held definitely not a everyday use lens especially in the Seattle area with days on end of clouds and rain

Jan 25, 2021 at 09:15 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.