New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              21       22       end

Best Memory Card for R5

BrianP
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Best Memory Card for R5

Does anyone have opinions on what the best Memory Card would be for the R5? I am predominately a still shooter, but I want to be able to take advantage of the 8K video.

Jul 09, 2020 at 09:21 AM
artsupreme
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Best Memory Card for R5

BrianP wrote:
Does anyone have opinions on what the best Memory Card would be for the R5? I am predominately a still shooter, but I want to be able to take advantage of the 8K video.

Someone linked these cards the other day. You probably just need a few of these at minimum

Jul 09, 2020 at 12:16 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Best Memory Card for R5

BrianP wrote:

I ordered one Lexar 128 and one 256. Not the fastest but fast enough tor 8K raw, and my 10GbE NAS can't do much faster than 400MB/s when offloading, anyway.

Jul 09, 2020 at 12:20 PM
evertdoorn
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Best Memory Card for R5

Anyone has experience with Integral Ultima pro x CF express cards?

Jul 10, 2020 at 11:08 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Best Memory Card for R5

ProGrade has the best prices. Having never used one before I have no idea if they are reliable, and I doubt very much if anyone has had a bad experience, as this media is relatively new. And I believe CF Express cards are better than XQD cards. I also think the Sony Tough cards are pretty good although there was a recall recently.

Jul 10, 2020 at 11:21 AM
mikeinctown
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Best Memory Card for R5

The ProGrade SD cards are among the fastest in testing from the different places I have read info from and their Cfast and I I assume CF Express are competitively priced. (I've seen them on sale now like 3 times in the past 2 weeks.)

Jul 10, 2020 at 12:44 PM
iazybandit
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Best Memory Card for R5

bobbytan wrote:
ProGrade has the best prices. Having never used one before I have no idea if they are reliable, and I doubt very much if anyone has had a bad experience, as this media is relatively new. And I believe CF Express cards are better than XQD cards. I also think the Sony Tough cards are pretty good although there was a recall recently.

ProGrade was founded by former Lexar employees so they definitely know what they are doing.

Jul 10, 2020 at 01:58 PM
lighthound
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Best Memory Card for R5

I've always used Sandisk Extreme Pro SD cards without issue, so I went with one of their 128GB CFexpress cards to start with. I have no plans to even figure out how to turn the video feature on so I saved an additional $800 or so.

Jul 10, 2020 at 02:26 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Best Memory Card for R5

bobbytan wrote:

The R5 does not have backwards compatibility for XQD cards so certainly don't buy them. CFExpress is faster than XQD, otherwise the packaging is the same. XQD will disappear soon enough because of CFExpress.

Jul 10, 2020 at 04:00 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Best Memory Card for R5

For those looking at Prograde cards, make sure you are buying the most recently released ones. Some retailers still selling stock of the Gen 1 cards. The new ones are faster and I haven't seen any real deals on the old ones. However, if you do find an old one at a discount it will certainly be fast enough for any stills shooting and probably good for a lot of video anyways.

Jul 10, 2020 at 04:01 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Best Memory Card for R5

Generally what you are looking for is any card that meets the specs required for the camera and has the capacity you need for your intended use.

Faster-than-spec cards generally don't really gain you much if anything.

Dan

Jul 10, 2020 at 05:38 PM
J.Marcus Photo
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Best Memory Card for R5

Someone said in a video , all Sony cfe 2 tough cards are supported For 8k , sandisk 512 is but not 128 or 256. Makes no sense but has me confused.
Id like to buy prograde cfe class B and be done with it but now Im not sure.

gdanmitchell wrote:
Generally what you are looking for is any card that meets the specs required for the camera and has the capacity you need for your intended use.

Faster-than-spec cards generally don't really gain you much if anything.

Dan

Jul 11, 2020 at 04:11 PM
Sy Sez
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Best Memory Card for R5

I'll be shooting primarily still's, and perhaps some occasional "low-K" video, but I'd like to have a back-up card to the SDXC UHS ll card.

I'm thinking:
SanDisk 64GB CFexpress Type B for $110.

A128GB ProGrade SDXC UHS ll for $55,

ProGrade CFexpress / SDXC UHS ll Dual slot Card reader for $68.

Never used a camera above 20 MP, so I hope that will be adequate for jumping to 45 MB

Jul 11, 2020 at 05:32 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Best Memory Card for R5

stanj wrote:
I ordered one Lexar 128 and one 256. Not the fastest but fast enough tor 8K raw, and my 10GbE NAS can't do much faster than 400MB/s when offloading, anyway.

That 128GB will be good for about 6 minutes of 8K raw video. Not bad!

Jul 11, 2020 at 06:50 PM
lighthound
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Best Memory Card for R5

Sy Sez wrote:
I'll be shooting primarily still's, and perhaps some occasional "low-K" video, but I'd like to have a back-up card to the SDXC UHS ll card.

I'm thinking:

A128GB ProGrade SDXC UHS ll for $55,

ProGrade CFexpress / SDXC UHS ll Dual slot Card reader for $68.

Never used a camera above 20 MP, so I hope that will be adequate for jumping to 45 MB

That's pretty much the same route I've gone. For my purpose a single 128GB CFexpress plus a bunch of SDII 64GB cards for extra storage if I fill the 128. Right now I don't plan on using a SD for backup in camera. The speed of the SD cards will likely slow down the write speed drastically so your buffer time is likely going to take a hit.

Keep in mind that if you simply shoot C-raw, you'll save a ton of space with no apparent loss of IQ and it'll make post workflow better. I was shooting with 26mp full raws files from my 6DII before I started shooting 32.5mp C-raws on my 90D and I think the C-raws run faster in my workflow.

Jul 11, 2020 at 07:04 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Best Memory Card for R5

IMO the 128GB ProGrade CF-Express card for $153 is better value.

Sy Sez wrote:
I'm thinking:

Jul 11, 2020 at 07:08 PM
iazybandit
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Best Memory Card for R5

I haven't seen anything nothing gen2 for cards themselves. I see the card readers are gen2

arbitrage wrote:
For those looking at Prograde cards, make sure you are buying the most recently released ones. Some retailers still selling stock of the Gen 1 cards. The new ones are faster and I haven't seen any real deals on the old ones. However, if you do find an old one at a discount it will certainly be fast enough for any stills shooting and probably good for a lot of video anyways.

Jul 11, 2020 at 08:23 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Best Memory Card for R5

iazybandit wrote:
I haven't seen anything nothing gen2 for cards themselves. I see the card readers are gen2

New: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1548482-REG/prograde_digital_pgcfx128gapbh_digital_128gb_cfexpress_2_0.html

Old: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1506501-REG/prograde_digital_pgcfx120gajbh_120gb_cfexpress_memory_card.html

Jul 11, 2020 at 08:26 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Best Memory Card for R5

bobbytan wrote:
IMO the 128GB ProGrade CF-Express card for $153 is better value.

Yes, and the Prograde has almost double the Write speeds of the Sandisk. The sale on the Progrades right now is a good deal.

Jul 11, 2020 at 08:30 PM
robert_in_ca
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Best Memory Card for R5

arbitrage wrote:
Yes, and the Prograde has almost double the Write speeds of the Sandisk. The sale on the Progrades right now is a good deal.
The only ProGrade CFexpress type b cards that I could find had a write speed of 1400 MB/s vs the SanDisk Extreme Pro which has a write speed of 1200 MB/s.

Do you have a link to the ProGardes that you seen?

Jul 11, 2020 at 09:06 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password